Please make me feel good about my decision

cola1068

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are going to be in wdw the last week in January and was planning to drive down, but my dh is making me feel bad because we are losing on the airline tickets(4) I have know decided to fly and am making myself sick over it. i am such a bad flyer and I am so nervous.Any good words of encouragement from my fellow DIS friends. I understand it is a 2 1/2 hr flight compared to 20 hrs in the car. Im realistic about that i Just have such fears. Please make me feel better. Thanks

PS: My dh is no help, he can not understand the extent of my fears, I hope some one out there understands where I'm coming from

Well, dont know how to make you "feel" better. But if you do the math, you are MUCH more likely to get hurt or killed driving all those miles than taking a flight down. Hope that helps.

Don't feel bad about flying!!!
I can totally sympathize with you, as I was a nervous flyer even before 9/11. We plan our trips very far in advance, so before 9/11 happened, we already had 10 trips planned to Orlando through the end of 2002, with the plane tickets purchased for three of them. As much as I was frightened (to the point of getting an upset stomach the day before we left on our first post-9/11 trip), I knew that flying is statistically still the safest way to go. Also, it's so much more convenient than driving from Chicago..there's no way we'd be able to take so many trips if we had to use up vacation days driving (we, like you, have a 2 1/2 hour flight). You might want to bring a CD of your favorite relaxing music to listen to on the plane, or something else to distract you. I usually bring a good book that I can lose myself in.
I felt good to see the National Guardsmen at the airport, and thankfully our flight was calm and uneventful. Hang in there and give it a try...as nervous as you might be, remind yourself that it's still the best way to go. The terrorists wanted to frightened us into changing our lifestlyes and living in fear, and I for one am not going to give them that victory!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Because of business, I tended to fly quite a bit before Sep 11, but always disliked flying. After Sep 11, was ready to sware off flying for good but necessity forced me to go (kept putting things that required a trip off but could only do that for so long). The one thing I noticed is that the first trip after Sep 11 was uneventful except for more security, the attendants were actually nicer than they had usually been before Sep. 11 (they must want our business back), there were huge numbers of others flying (and thus others must have overcome the same fears) and the "I would rather suffer a thousand sadistic dentists with dirty drills than fly again fears" disappeared with that first trip and just returned to my normal level of discomfort with flying that I had before Sep 11. Thus, you just need to do it to overcome tha fear level created by Sep 11.

I completely understand!

I was terrified (we're talking the serious white knuckle kind) of flying until about 18 months ago when I had no choice but fly by myself. For some reason thatI still don't understand, I just sat back in my seat, closed my eyes and concentrated on relaxing each part of my body during take off. I told myself "the pilot knows what he's doing, he's been trained, and re-trained, and trained again. He's done this a million times." I kept silently repeating this to myself and concentrated on relaxing and breathing.

When I finally opened my eyes I looked out the window and saw the most beautiful sunset. I knew everything would be o.k. Since then, I've had minimal, if any, fear. Whenever I do get worried (usually when we hit turbulence), I just put down my book, close my eyes, and concentrate on something else. Now, though, I usually fall asleep!!! I would never have believed I could do that on an airplane.

And yes, I've flown to Orlando twice since September 11 and have another trip to Oklahoma planned for Christmas day. It doesn't bother me now any more than before.

I know it sounds silly and strange--but I urge you to try it. Practice before you get on the plane.

Another thing that's helped me is I'm learning to not think so much about the flight before we're actually in the air. This is more difficult. Whenever you find yourself thinking about it just change the thought process to something else.

It takes some work, but is worth it if you're dedicated to flying without a lot of fear. I've come to realize that flying is the only way to travel if saving time is a priority (it is for me).

Good luck!

I think that my problem w/ flying invoves a loss of control. Being in the air, you clearly have surrendered that control to peolpe/forces you don't know. Long drives also involve a loss of control, but it is easier to disassociate from the careless/drunk/tired driver in the other car. I don't know if this helps, but it has helped me.

Relax, close your eyes...the flight will not be bad..

Just wait until you see all of the security at the airports. That in itself will make you feel a little better. I pray for calm skies for you!

Kami

Hi,

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was supposed to fly down for a conference the week after 9/11 (leaving kids and hubby home). I normally HATE to fly....I mean need major sedation just to get to the airport. The night before I was supposed to leave, I knew that I wasn't getting on that plane. I just kept seeing the faces of my kids. SOOOOO, with the help of an extremely understanding and supportive coworker who was traveling with me, we booked the auto-train! I LOVED it! It was probably the first time I've gone anywhere and not been a basketcase about flying so I was really able to relax and enjoy the trip. We are bringing down the kids in Oct and are planning on taking the train. We did go for a deluxe sleeper car, which I can't compare to riding in coach. But my experience was great! Hope that helps :)

Cola1068

You are definately not alone in your fear of flying. Hardly anyone I know loves to fly, and most just tolerate it. Those who were fearful before 9/11, are even more so now. We purchased our tickets on 8/31 for next July. I still don't know if we are going, but DH says he really doesn't want to lose the money on the tickets, even though he doesn't want to fly.

Statistically it is safer, but the best thing is to think about something else, and take your mind off the flying while on the plane. Get into a good book, or magazine, puzzles, listen to a CD, anything to distract you. This can really help!!!! Good luck and have fun on your trip!!:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I can certainly sympathize with you. I flew for the first time in Feb 01. I was really nervous, but I wanted to try it, beats 20 hours in the car. The flight was 2 1/2 hours and I was thinking about the fact there was nothing under the plane, listening for the engines, etc. I focused on my destination, WDW, and the fact that I would be in Orlando when the plane landed. I also brought lots of reading material. I just flew to WDW again on Dec 8.My dh was already in Fl so I flew only with my kids, 12 and 7. I was nervous the night before the flight, but once I got to the airport I felt very safe. I flew to Pittsburgh, 55 minute flight, and then a 2 1/2 hour flight into West Palm Beach. I didn't even read my books, the flight was very nice and I actually enjoyed it. I would never have thought I would feel this way, but I did.These pilots do this every day and are trained to fly these planes.I hope you have a safe flight and please try to relax, you'll be there before you know it. Enjoy!

I too am afraid to fly. We drove our last two trips to DW. We have 4 children and the last trip I wanted to kill each one of them a dozen times!! On the way home I said I would never drive again with the four of them!! So we are flying this time. Every time I start wondering if I made the right decision I just reflect back on our last drive, and I always say " I'll take my chances on the plane"!!! You'll be fine. I'll be fine. Have a geat trip!!!

I confess, I'm nervous too. I think I'm more nervous because my kids are with me. (Their first time flying) I flew in a thunderstorm once, lightening flashing, it was actually incredible. I was scared but intrigued.(I was also young, 21) I'm more nervous now, I wonder if having children has done this to me. Dh says of my fear "Well, if we go, we'll all go together" Thanks honey, but that doesn't help:D

I know just how you feel. DH and I both hate to fly. We have always driven to DW ( about a 14 hour drive). After last year's trip, we decided it was time to fly. The kids are getting too old to be good in the car. We will be going in June. I bought non refundable tickets on Sept. 1 Now DH and I are going back and forth about what to do. Reading this thread has made me feel better about flying. Thanks everyone!

See your DR. Tell him/her your situation and ask for a script of valium. He should give you just enogh for the trip. I was always afraid to try it because I though it would knock me out for the day but it wears off within a few hours and you feel fine afterwards no side affects. I found out by using it for an MRI I had and found out it worked while it was in my system and then wore off with no after affects. I am not usually in favor of medicating for things but if you fly only once in a great while and it will help relax you for the trip then why not.

See your DR. Tell him/her your situation and ask for a script of valium. He should give you just enough for the trip. I was always afraid to try it because I though it would knock me out for the day but it wears off within a few hours and you feel fine afterwards no side affects. I found out by using it for an MRI I had and found out it worked while it was in my system and then wore off with no after affects. I am not usually in favor of medicating for things but if you fly only once in a great while and it will help relax you for the trip then why not.

I understand your feelings. I do not enjoy flying and always say a prayer as we are taking off. We had a trip planned for September and ended up cancelling. We've been hesitating about rescheduling. This last weekend I found a lump in my breast, had it removed and am now waiting for the results of the lab work. I decided that I can't live my life in fear. Anything can happen anyday and I want my family to have good memories if something would ever happen to me. We just rescheduled our trip for the end of April. I'm sure I will still be nervous, but I want to have fun with my family and so I'm going to try to keep that end in mind. Driving is not an option (2-day trip with 4-y-o and 2-y-o wouldn't work), so I'm just going to go for it! Good luck with your decision and most of all, remember to just have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter