Please help! Airfare Christmas Week outrageous!

NUHuskies#1

My kids speak in COD code.. I don't know what it m
HI all-

Need some help. DH and I are off the week between Christmas and NewYears and thought we'd go to WDW for a few days but the airfare is so expensive. Does the air go down a little as the dates get closer or does it stay pretty much the same? Any suggestions other than driving or trains? I ve looked at alternative airports but it is still in the $500 per person RT range. We would be flying out of Boston, but could do Manchester or Providence. TIA

Thats one of the busiest travel weeks of the year. Quite honestly, the airfare will probably only go up as you get closer. As you get closer, there will be even more people booking and the airlines know they can charge more to sell those seats and they will be filled. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

I feel your pain! I'm trying to fly in Dec too and airfare is outrageous. I'm checking airports within an hour and half or so driving range (GSP,AVL, ATL) prices are fluctuating from between $275 per person to $856 per person, oddly the smaller & further away from WDW airport is cheaper...check cheaptickets and priceline too, you might be able to get a good deal.

The maximum, fully refundable fare from SW is $425 from Manchester. Some dates/flights you can get discounts down to about $300 but if you wait you should expect to pay close to $425. Many of the flights are completely sold out.

You may have to be very flexible with your dates. We are traveling down Christmas day and coming back on the 3rd of January. Otherwise the fares are either way too expensive, or the flights are completely sold out.

Were going the week of Christmas flying out of hartford to orlando but booked the tickets a good 4 months ago or so and got a great deal roundtrip around $130. But I know that whole week everything is going to be crazy. Trying to rent a car that week is turning out to be a huge amount.

All flights are up now. I booked in march for our nov. trip back then, we paid $735 for 4 tickets. Now the tickets are up to $3500 :earseek: Buy the frist cheap seat you see. They are only going up

One SLIGHT possibility MIGHT be to fly on Christmas Day and New Years Day. Unfortunately, if there are going to be special sale rates these two days, they won't be released until much closer to the actual dates.

For that week....I don't think I've seen any good fares closer then 4months out .....

Ran your dates Dec 24th-Dec31st...on www.itasoftware.com and out of PVD you can get $155 rt on Independance Air. ( I know they are having problems but check out flyer talk if they are still reorganizing). That is a great price for that week. Same price out of BOS..closest non Independance Air is American for 405rt pp out of PVD.

canwegosoon said:
Ran your dates Dec 24th-Dec31st...on www.itasoftware.com and out of PVD you can get $155 rt on Independance Air. ( I know they are having problems but check out flyer talk if they are still reorganizing). That is a great price for that week. Same price out of BOS..closest non Independance Air is American for 405rt pp out of PVD.

Got to admit... I would not risk this one right now. Yes, you will probably get your money back, but I think this airline is in BIG trouble. I would wait a few weeks before I bought anything on them. (And I continue to buy tickets on other bankrupt airlines!)

Thank you all for your responses! I will keep checking daily. Funny thing is that I checked American on the dates we wanted to travel (12/27-1/1) and the planes are barely filled!

keep checking american.They may offer some deal down the road if they can not fill their plane now.

I know how you feel. We are leaving xmas day and the airfare from DAY to MCO is outrageous! The only time we could go was that week between xmas and new years and there was no check in availability with the AP rate for the 26th or 27th. ACK!! We even checked columbus and it's still pretty high. Don't know wether to wait it out or go ahead and buy now. There's been a couple of ding fares but the dates we are going it says unavailable. We might be rescheduling the trip altogether.

Try USA3000 - I know they fly out of Newark - maybe somewhere closer to you.

Hope it helps.
1.gif

CarolA said:
Got to admit... I would not risk this one right now. Yes, you will probably get your money back, but I think this airline is in BIG trouble. I would wait a few weeks before I bought anything on them. (And I continue to buy tickets on other bankrupt airlines!)
I know (as I also buy tickets on other bankrupt airlines too) but I have a feeling that they will make it though the holidays...lots of travel$$$. But I have not hear if they are doing 7 or 11 and I guess that would make a big difference. Also I guess this is another one of the few time travel insurance might be worth it if they cover airlines going under!!! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter