Please explain this FP Strategy?

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
I've read so much that I wonder if the following scenario has to be treated in a particular way.

Hubby and I have our 3rd FP of the day for Dinosaur at AK. Our two kids have their 1st FP of the day for Dinosaur at AK. We will be hopping to EP after. However, we are planning to possibly RD AK that morning during EMH and would hope to ride Dinosaur during that time.

If we do get on Dinosaur first thing in the morning, how should I treat both me and hubby's Dino FP as well as the kids. I"m scared to cancel vs. modify and screw something up.

If the kids don't use their FP for Dinosaur at AK, do they get to book all 3 at EP (based on availability?)

Thanks!

If we do get on Dinosaur first thing in the morning, how should I treat both me and hubby's Dino FP as well as the kids. I"m scared to cancel vs. modify and screw something up.

Once you're in line, go on the app and try to modify. You should be able to change the kids to anything, anywhere if they don't have any other FP for that morning at AK. What other FP do you and hubs have? If you can change your Dino to something close to opening, you would be able to tap in and not ride if you're still in the Dino area at opening. That gives you some flexibility for later.

Once you're in line, go on the app and try to modify. You should be able to change the kids to anything, anywhere if they don't have any other FP for that morning at AK. What other FP do you and hubs have? If you can change your Dino to something close to opening, you would be able to tap in and not ride if you're still in the Dino area at opening. That gives you some flexibility for later.
unfortunately we booked our FPs only 30 minutes after park opening so we can't add one in at the morning. i'm kicking myself for that. me and hubby have everest, safari, and flight of passage. would the kids get all 3 in EP if we cancel the dinosaur?

They should if it works right. Or they can tap in at Dinosaur and not ride. Then you can get them 2 more FPs at EPCOT.
Or from the app, you can choose Modify FP to Replace and choose EPCOT

I’d just like to add my .02.

Almost everyone who rope drops AK heads to Pandora.

That leaves the rest of the park an absolute ghost town for about an hour and you could probably walk onto dinosaur 5 times if you rope drop. And then Everest twice for good measure.

Last edited:

That leaves the rest of the park and absolute ghost town for about an could probably walk onto dinosaur 5 times if you rope drop. And then Everest twice for good measure.

This is how we handle mornings at AK since Pandora opened, too. Let everyone else flock to Pandora, while we enjoy relative peace and quiet elsewhere. :)

That leaves the rest of the park and absolute ghost town for about an could probably walk onto dinosaur 5 times if you rope drop. And then Everest twice for good measure.

Definitely. I would just prebook the kids three fast passes at Epcot and use the slower time at AK to Dinosaur away.

But that does have you potentially crisscrossing around the park depending on the timing of your other fast passes. How are your kids going to spend the rest of their time at AK?

so that's what we have always done in the past - RD dinoland or EE. but with primeval whirl not there (kids love it), we actually are thinking of this as an opportunity to sleep in. we have club level fast passes booked at epcot so our AK day is where the regular fast passes are booked. the kids had a glitch with their FPs where their regular booked FPs are not being counted for them (except for the time block), so they still have 3 FPs to use. but they can't ride anything by themselves at epcot. the goal of this day is to sleep in, show up when we are ready, check dino wait times and ride, then get to EE at the end of our FP window which ends at 10:30.

but any time we say we will sleep in, the kids are up and raring to go super early! so it's a bit hard to plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!