Plans?We Don't Need No Stinkin' Plans! Dorky Disboutiquing Diser Sista UPDATED! 9/13

So, on Monday night, May 4, we were on our way to Chicago!

Everything was going great!

Until our last exit:
Exit%20sign.jpg

See that car to the left of the semi?
The one going right on by the exit?
Yeah, that's us!
:scared1:

I convinced Brian that we should turn around, and he pulled off the highway.
I saw a nice hotel right of the road and suggested we pull in there to get directions.

hotel1.jpg

Brian kept driving.
:drive:

I saw another hotel,
motel3.jpg

Brian kept driving.

I saw another hotel (who knew there were so many interesting hotels in Chicago???)
Motel4.jpg

Brian kept driving.

I saw ANOTHER hotel
Hotel2.jpg

Actually, Brian tried to pull in here,
I told him to

KEEP DRIVING!

NEXT

Brian saw a highway,
2502974445_750bb1078d.jpg

it wasn't the highway we had been on or a highway that our directions told us to go on, but Brian wanted to take it. I convinced him not to.
So,
we kept driving around downtown Chicago.
:car:
Downtown1.jpg

:car:

Downtown2.jpg

Brian kept saying things like
"I love driving!"
and
"This is so much fun!"

I was growing increasingly upset,
:furious:

I just wanted to find the house and get us all to bed.
11.gif

I finally saw a Fedex Kinkos.
fedex-kinkos.jpg

I figured they should have a clue how to get someplace!
So, Brian pulled over and had me get out and ask for directions.
Thankfully, it was a nice area and the Kinkos was filled with some very nice people.
I can't say I wasn't a little worried to be walking into a place in downtown Chicago and telling them we were lost.
:eek:

The first employee I asked didn't drive, so he directed me to another employee who gave me nice clear directions.

On the way back to the highway we needed, we saw the highway Brian had wanted to take earlier
2757070191_3368746dac.jpg

so he kept insisting that he had been right and we should have taken that road.

I may have said something to the affect of,
"Yeah, if we wanted to go the WRONG way and drive around downtown Chicago FOREVER!"

Yeah, I might have said that,
but I was tired and can you blame me? :confused3

Finally, we found his sister's road!! :banana::banana::banana:
We had her address and were all set to pull into her driveway.
Just one little problem.

We didn't see any house numbers!

You know how in a NORMAL town there are house number near the road or at least on the front of the houses???
Well, not in this little neighborhood!
We drove up and down this very very narrow street several times and then Brian parked the car and started walking it to see if he could find the number!
He went up and down once and came back to tell me he couldn't find it, but he was going to look again.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably 10 minutes, he came back and said he had found it. The house numbers were on the side of the house, about halfway back! Crazy!

We chatted with his sister for awhile and she even made us supper.
Her housemate came home and had brought ice cream, so we had a little dessert too.

Her housemate was extremely nice and even told us to sleep in her bed for the night. We had planned on sleeping on the living room floor, but she wouldn't hear it. I think it was around 11PM when I got to bed. Denise was going to wake us up at 3AM her time, or 4AM "real" Michigan time.

A little while after we were in bed, Denise knocked on our door and came in.

She told us that her housemate had told her that she didn't mind if we came to the house after we got back from our trip and stayed there, even though Denise wouldn't be there.

I said thanks and then tried to comprehend what she had just said!

5.gif

It was too late to worry about it, so I tried to get some sleep.
18.gif

For those of you keeping track, here's how it looks now:
1.)Denise offers to pick us up at the airport
2.)Denise gets a better offer and changes plans and makes us a reservation for a hotel (that we pay for)
3.)Denise's better plans get cancelled, she's picking us up at the airport again
4.)Denise's better plans are back on, but she is going to be home in time to pick us up at the airport
5.)Denise is not planning on being home to pick us up.
6.)???????

Unfortunately, the last thing Denise had asked me was what time we needed to get up, and I had told her 3AM.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and was worried that it was getting too late.
So, I found my watch
Eeyore%20Watch.jpg

and saw that it was about 10 minutes to 3.
So, I got up and started to get dressed.

At 3, I woke up Brian and then a bit later, woke up the girls.
Brian got the girls a bowl of cereal (Denise had told us that we could have some the night before).

I then went into the living room where Corey was sleeping to wake him up. I looked at the TV, which had a clock on it and that clock read 2:20.
Digital%20clock.JPG

Huh??? :confused3
I was confused for a minute, then it dawned on me!!!

:idea:

OH!!! SHOOT!!!

:headache:

I had been thinking 3AM Chicago time, but had looked at my Michigan time watch!!! So, I had gotten up an hour earlier than I needed to!

NEXT

Oh Teresa....I never knew how historically funny you are...and I really needed a laugh tonight. Thank you, thank you for such a great start to the trip report...I am guessing at this point that a taxi is in order from the airport or you'll just drive yourselves??? I am thinking that Denise's plans will change 6 more times....and she'll be like...."Teresa...you went to Disney? Who knew?".
Great details about the kids and I am still so sorry about the whole BBB thing and follow-up. Really, is an apology possible these days? :confused3 Alright, looking forward to more! :cheer2:

she'll be like...."Teresa...you went to Disney? Who knew?".

I keep laughing everytime I read this!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Denise is really a sweetheart, we've been friends since we were in 3rd grade together, but I don't think she really understands how seriously I take my Disney vacations or how stresful it was to me. I'm glad I can laugh now though!

The problem with the airport situation is that Denise is going with us in our van to the airport, dropping us off and then taking our car back to her house...

Whew!! I finally made it!

Not only is Corey growing up.... but I can't believe how much Arminda is growing! She looks so beautiful in those pics you posted... why, she's turning into a young woman right before my eyes (and WILL insist on wearing nylons and make up before too long.... sorry to say it, but it's true! She'll want to shave her legs anyday now too!! UGH!)

You're lucky Heather is your sister. If it was me, I woulda said I wanted all the tickets for me! ANd she was even willing to sacrifice and put the cats in the basement for you! WOW! that's sisterhood for ya!

keep it coming- can't wait to hear more!!

Now you stop it right there missy! I can only take ONE child growing up at a time, ok?! Arminda is beautiful though, isn't she!

I am very lucky to have Heather for a sister! :thumbsup2
My poor poor kitties...

I am laughing so hard! Poor Teresa!

Thank you so much for the quick recaps of the Denise situation because I didn't understand it even at the time it was all happening. Now I *think* I've got it. Does she?

More please!

Wow! Look at all those super cool hotels! I must visit Chicago soon! LOL!

Glad you found the house, sorry about the up an hour early! Atleast you won't be late!

You could have called me I AM in Chicago I could have gotten you!!!! BUT NOOO you come to Chicago and don't even call! Not like I am bitter or anything?:snooty::snooty::snooty:

Glad you found the house, sorry about the up an hour early! Atleast you won't be late!

YES YOU MUST!!! Of course I have no clue where any of those are but we could figure it out!

Okay, who took that picture of you going past the exit? Who's car are you in? Are you lying to your TR readers?

I LOVE the hotel regression photos! Too funny! That first one is FABULOUS!!!

I also don't enjoy driving around while lost. Henry thinks it's fun, too! I just want to get where we're going! Then, we can drive around and explore.

D'oh!! Losing an hour of sleep when you don't need to! That stinks!!

I want you to know that I appreciate all the smileys and pictures you found for this installment. I take it you didn't actually take any pictures yet, huh? ;)

Theresa, I love reading your trippies! It's like reading a kids story book (with pictures!) Such an easy read.
That really stinks about the bad customer service at BBB. I was going to make an appt. for Zoe at the mk one because we would be there for mnsshp anyway. I may rethink it.
Rob would so do the keep on driving when lost thing. I can't stand it!!!!!
I can't wait to read more!

Teresa, you crack me up :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Looking forward to reading more!
Thank you!

I am laughing so hard! Poor Teresa!

Thank you so much for the quick recaps of the Denise situation because I didn't understand it even at the time it was all happening. Now I *think* I've got it. Does she?

More please!

I was pretty confused what was going on most of the time with the Denise thing too!!!
Dear and sweet as Denise is, no she doesn't get it! (and if you happen to find this TR Denise, you know I love you!)

I KNOW!! How cool are those!!! :rotfl2:

You could have called me I AM in Chicago I could have gotten you!!!! BUT NOOO you come to Chicago and don't even call! Not like I am bitter or anything?:snooty::snooty::snooty:

Don't think the thought didn't go through my head MANY MANY times!! "I could call Marlo. I know her name, I wonder is she has a listed number..."
Okay, who took that picture of you going past the exit? Who's car are you in? Are you lying to your TR readers?

I LOVE the hotel regression photos! Too funny! That first one is FABULOUS!!!

I also don't enjoy driving around while lost. Henry thinks it's fun, too! I just want to get where we're going! Then, we can drive around and explore.

D'oh!! Losing an hour of sleep when you don't need to! That stinks!!

I want you to know that I appreciate all the smileys and pictures you found for this installment. I take it you didn't actually take any pictures yet, huh? ;)

WHAT are you implying Heather???? hmm??? You think I would mislead my dear Diser friends with fake pictures?? :snooty:

I know, didn't that first one just look like the perfect hotel to ask for directions at? :rotfl: That Flamingo one was just for you. :thumbsup2
I HATE driving around lost!! It is so not fun!
It wasn't as bad as you would think losing the hour of sleep.
I am glad you appreciate my smilies!!! I won't even tell you how much time I spent to find a digital display that had the right time on it! :rolleyes1
Nope, didn't take pictures yet!

Theresa, I love reading your trippies! It's like reading a kids story book (with pictures!) Such an easy read.
That really stinks about the bad customer service at BBB. I was going to make an appt. for Zoe at the mk one because we would be there for mnsshp anyway. I may rethink it.
Rob would so do the keep on driving when lost thing. I can't stand it!!!!!
I can't wait to read more!

You know, a lot of people love the BBB, we just had a really bad experience. I really love the barber shop though, we had a much more fulfilling experience there the year we did that. I would really recommend that over the BBB.

Fun update! All those crazy hotels really make me want to take a trip to Chicago ;)

Back to BBB, we had a less than magical FGIT too. So it's definitely not rare. Problem is that a lot of them are on the college program and get assigned there without any interest in that position. Ours didn't make a peep the whole time. I still tipped her because I'm stupid like that but it really annoyed me.

I am so happy to see you are doing a TR for your trip! Especially since Heather is almost done with hers and Kristine's trip is a few months away.

I am still upset about the BBB and photographer experience for you! :mad:

For those considering the BBB, it can be great! My DD has been to the DTD BBB once and the MK BBB twice (can we say spoiled - lol) and we had good FGIT every time. Some were better than others but none were grumpy, quiet or mean.

You are a very nice and understanding person to not still be mad at Denise for changing plans so many times. That would drive me crazy! I hope it all worked out okay.

I laughed about a nun on facebook too!

Glad you got the kitties taken care of and some free tickets. Though the tickets should not have taken so much work to get, those bad experiences took up a good part of an MK day. And I can't believe no one ever apologized! (Now I am getting mad again!)

Looking forward to the next update!

You know, a lot of people love the BBB, we just had a really bad experience. I really love the barber shop though, we had a much more fulfilling experience there the year we did that. I would really recommend that over the BBB.
Unfortunately Zoe has her heart set on the BBB. Rob can't say no, so it is what it is. However, I am really happy to hear that about the barber shop! we are going to get Julia's 1st haircut there!

Fun update! All those crazy hotels really make me want to take a trip to Chicago ;)

Back to BBB, we had a less than magical FGIT too. So it's definitely not rare. Problem is that a lot of them are on the college program and get assigned there without any interest in that position. Ours didn't make a peep the whole time. I still tipped her because I'm stupid like that but it really annoyed me.

Ok, let's take a road trip to Chicago, we'll end at Marlo's house!

I think you are onto something with the FGITs. I think they should only hire people who are BEGGING to do it! You are so nice tipping anyway! I have to say I am NOT that nice!

I am so happy to see you are doing a TR for your trip! Especially since Heather is almost done with hers and Kristine's trip is a few months away.

I am still upset about the BBB and photographer experience for you! :mad:

For those considering the BBB, it can be great! My DD has been to the DTD BBB once and the MK BBB twice (can we say spoiled - lol) and we had good FGIT every time. Some were better than others but none were grumpy, quiet or mean.

You are a very nice and understanding person to not still be mad at Denise for changing plans so many times. That would drive me crazy! I hope it all worked out okay.

I laughed about a nun on facebook too!

Glad you got the kitties taken care of and some free tickets. Though the tickets should not have taken so much work to get, those bad experiences took up a good part of an MK day. And I can't believe no one ever apologized! (Now I am getting mad again!)

Looking forward to the next update!

I'm so glad you've had wonderful experiences at BBB! It gives me hope, although I really don't think we'll ever do it again. An apology would have been nice, that is for sure!

Unfortunately Zoe has her heart set on the BBB. Rob can't say no, so it is what it is. However, I am really happy to hear that about the barber shop! we are going to get Julia's 1st haircut there!

Aww, that's so sweet! You might just have a fabulous time! Remember, Lydia had a great FGIT! I wish I could rewind time and just stop at Lydia with that whole thing! No matter what, I bet Zoe will feel like a princess!

Hi Teresa!

Lookin good so far! You make me laugh, your too funny! You have such a lovely family and I think kids grow up way too fast too! Looking forward to more.

Hey Teresa! I was a lurker on your last TR but now I have to just come and join in on the fun. It sounds like a, ummm..., interesting way to start the trip. That CM, though. Really rude. I wonder if she forgot to take her Disney magic pill pixiedust: the days she talked to you. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter