Plans are made to be broken … aren’t they? Our first trip home to AKV

After soaking in the sun and enjoying the view from the balcony, we decided it was time to unload the van. We headed to the living room. DM & I entered the balcony from the bedroom. This was our first time really seeing the living room. We manged to snap a few pictures.

Living room
100_2493.jpg

100_0073.jpg

100_0072.jpg

Trying to change DS’s diaper

After changing DS’s diaper, I called the front desk to see if the two-bedroom was ready. We were hoping that it was since my plan was to unload my parents’ belongings and then go to our room and unload our luggage. But, at last, that would not be the case. Nevertheless, we headed downstairs anyway to start the process of unloading the van.

As I stated before, the van was packed. (This might seem like déjà vu to some. Once I started typing this part of the report I realized that my order was off. Sorry for the confusion.) Now back to the TR. I felt sorry for bell services. First, my DM was trying to “help” bell services by giving the CM advice on how to load the luggage cart while she was shoving everything into a plastic trash bag trying to condense things. OMG! Could it get more embarrassing? Meanwhile, my DS had climbed into the van, got into his car seat, found his Nilla Wafers and started snacking on them. Then, once he was done, he found the bag of Cheetos and started snacking on them. I did not notice that he had done this since I was trying to keep my DM out of the way of the CM from bell services. DH was not watching DS because he was too busy making sure he had all of his gadgets. When I saw DS he was out of the van standing near his grandfather, who had been standing back watching all of this unfold. DS was sharing his Cheetos with him. His poor little hands were covered in orange goo. I could not help but laugh and feel bad for him all at the same time. His parents had forgotten to feed him so he had to take matters into his own hands. Shame on us! I did take the time to clean him up a little.

When the CM was finally finished with unloading our stuff, we had to put everything on two carts. We tried to keep things separate so it would be easier for bell services and us but that was not happening. So, we just decided that everything would be brought up to my parents’ room when someone from bell services was available to bring it up.
I took the card that the CM from bell services gave us and handed it to the CM at the desk who told us that our luggage would be brought to our room in approximately 15 minutes. We headed back up to the room and waited for the luggage to arrive which did not take long at all.

Bell Services brought up our luggage. The CM was kind enough to separate our luggage into two sections (or should I say piles) – the stuff that was staying & the stuff we were taking to the other room. After giving the CM a tip, I began helping DM find space in the cabinets to put away the food. Some of my comments during this process:

“Why do you need cream of mushroom soup?”
“How many cans of chicken broth did you bring?”
“You do realize we have dining reservations?”

After filling up the cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer, I called down to the front desk to see if our other room was ready. It still wasn’t. However, DU & DMIL called DH and told him that they had arrived. DS & I went down to greet them. They were sitting outside on the bench. I wish I remembered my camera. Their car had been unloaded. DU warned me about the stuff that DMIL brought. I laughed. I thought he was exaggerating. I later discovered that he was not. I took them to bell services where they handed in their ticket. I also checked to see if our room was ready. It was! Room 5427 was ready. So, we headed upstairs.

Our first stop was Room 5512 since that is where my DU would be staying. We waited for bell services which arrived about 10 minutes later. OMG! My DMIL brought more than my DM! Did I not email her the itinerary? I really should have taken a picture of all the stuff. But, it would not have done any justice. Everything (food wise) was so neatly packed in three clear plastic containers. My DU was laughing because he had told me that they were loaded down and everything that DMIL had packed could not fit in the car.

Now, at this moment, I feel that it is only appropriate to explain how my DMIL came to bring all this stuff with her. When I had typed out the itinerary for the trip, I also included a list of food items I was going to bring so that we would not have to buy all of our meals. I also wanted to have some food items that I knew DS would enjoy. I emailed the full itinerary to DMIL so that she knew what was planned. I was not expecting her to buy any food items because we would have that covered. Well, DMIL emailed me back and told me not to worry about bringing food items because she would bring those and she would especially bring stuff her one and only grandchild would enjoy. When I read the list, I did not believe that she would actually bring all of the things on the list. Here is a snapshot of what was on the list: peanut butter, assorted jellies, apple & white grape juice & juice boxes, snacks for grandson - teddy grahams, gold fish, pretzel crackers, half turkey, boneless chicken breasts, chicken legs, turkey burgers, hot dogs, hamburger & hot dog buns, pork loin chops, pancake mix, eggs, butter, bacon, and the list went on. And, I kid you not; everything that was on the list was in those containers.

So, we unloaded DU’s belongings. DU wasn't a slacker in the food items department either. Did I mention he brought homemade corn bread and a homemade pound cake?

Then we took DMIL’s things to Room 5427 which was right down the hall. We made a left out of Room 5512 and went straight down the hall, 5427 was on the right. When we arrived, mousekeeping was still working on the other room. Room 5427 was the studio. Room 5425 was the one-bedroom. We had both bedrooms which formed the two-bedroom lock-off.

While mousekeeping was working on Room 5425, the CM from bell services unloaded DMIL’s belongings. After tipping the CM, we then trekked back down to room 5512 to get my belongings. By the time we got back to the rooms, mousekeeping was finished. Now, all we had to do was settle in and unpack all of this stuff. Stuff was everywhere. We unpacked what we needed. But, we could not do too much because DS was getting hungry and he was ready for some real food. DMIL was not going to allow her grandson to go hungry. She told everybody that she would be cooking hot dogs and turkey burgers. She barely settled in before she started fixing food her child, I mean her grandchild.

Wow, what a beautiful spot the room, view, balcony, the family ! This looks like heaven. I love DM and the plates, I'd would have been thinking the same thing. She is a character I can tell already. I'll be following along.

Wow, what a beautiful spot the room, view, balcony, the family ! This looks like heaven. I love DM and the plates, I'd would have been thinking the same thing. She is a character I can tell already. I'll be following along.

It was heaven. The place was so serene. I could have stayed in the room for hours just sitting on the balcony. DM did one day. Keep following along. She is DEFINITELY a character. :rotfl:

Nice report so far. That room looked really nice and that view is awesome!!!!! I will be following along.:thumbsup2

Tim

So far your trip report is reminding me of traveling with my DH and our 3 kids and my parents to Disney. So glad to see others joined DVC partly for the big family trip aspect. We stayed in a 2 bdrm at SSR in November. We barely fit in the van on the drive down even though we had our groceries delivered. :goodvibes
Can't wait to hear and see more of AKV since we might change our next trip to stay there. One goal of ours since joining DVC is to try all of them.

Wow...what a view & what beautiful rooms. I may have to change my mind about which resort to stay at next time. My DS has always wanted to stay there since we ate at Boma on our 1st trip. Can't wait to read more.popcorn::

After giving the CM a tip, I began helping DM find space in the cabinets to put away the food. Some of my comments during this process:

“Why do you need cream of mushroom soup?”
“How many cans of chicken broth did you bring?”
“You do realize we have dining reservations?”

After filling up the cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer....

:rotfl2: This reminds me so much of what my mother would do! She lives in an assisted living facility and gets all her meals there. So when I took her to Walmart this afternoon, what did she buy? Baking pans!!! :confused3 Why? I have no idea.

But, we could not do too much because DS was getting hungry and he was ready for some real food. DMIL was not going to allow her grandson to go hungry. She told everybody that she would be cooking hot dogs and turkey burgers. She barely settled in before she started fixing food her child, I mean her grandchild.

This reminds me so much of my grandmother! Of course, she would even do it when we weren't hungry. I remember going to visit her and first question would be "Are you hungry?". I would say no and 15 minutes later, she would be making me something to eat. :lmao:

Nice report so far. That room looked really nice and that view is awesome!!!!! I will be following along.:thumbsup2

Tim

Thank you for following along. The room was beautiful and the view was awesome. I wish I would have sat on the balcony more than I did. It was so peacful and beautifull.

So far your trip report is reminding me of traveling with my DH and our 3 kids and my parents to Disney. So glad to see others joined DVC partly for the big family trip aspect. We stayed in a 2 bdrm at SSR in November. We barely fit in the van on the drive down even though we had our groceries delivered. :goodvibes
Can't wait to hear and see more of AKV since we might change our next trip to stay there. One goal of ours since joining DVC is to try all of them.

Traveling with the family is always adventure that I would not trade for the world. I love vacationing with family and friends and that is one of the reasons why DVC appealed to me.

I am sure you will not be disappointed if you stay at AKV. One of my goals is to stay at all of the DVC properties too but DH is so impressed with AKV. We are staying at BCV for one night this Sept. I am going to try to see if we can swing it so we can stay 2 nights. SSR looks beautiful. Hoepfully, I will be able to persuade DH to try a few nights there.

Wow...what a view & what beautiful rooms. I may have to change my mind about which resort to stay at next time. My DS has always wanted to stay there since we ate at Boma on our 1st trip. Can't wait to read more.popcorn::

You will not regret staying at AKV and I am sure your DS would enjoy not only the view but all of the activities they have for the kids.

:rotfl2: This reminds me so much of what my mother would do! She lives in an assisted living facility and gets all her meals there. So when I took her to Walmart this afternoon, what did she buy? Baking pans!!! :confused3 Why? I have no idea.

This reminds me so much of my grandmother! Of course, she would even do it when we weren't hungry. I remember going to visit her and first question would be "Are you hungry?". I would say no and 15 minutes later, she would be making me something to eat. :lmao:

It was a sight to behold. All of the groceries that both mothers had could have fed a small army and both tried to cook everything they brought. DS would sometimes eat breakfast twice since both grandmothers did not want him to be hungry. It was so funny.

Another update will be posted later this evening.

Hello! Welcome to my first trip report. :welcome: I decided to write a trip report because all the trip reports that I have read have been so informative, funny, and helpful. Also, they tell a great story that makes me feel like I am living the experience with them and helps to make the countdown to my next trip to Disney World more bearable (shout out to GlendaMax, brookelizabeth, wdwgirl03, joech, and Donald is #1). Though we have never met your trip reports helped make the wait more bearable.

My plan was to write down what we did at the end of each day. I was going to take pictures of everything, including the food and the menus. Well, that went right out the window as soon as we arrived. :rolleyes1 Hey, I can only get better with time which is more of a reason to take as many trips as possible. I do have a good memory and did take some pictures, so, I hope you enjoy my first attempts at writing a trip report. Now, let’s begin.

By the way, here are a couple of details before we begin:

Dates: February 7 – 14, 2009
Resort: Animal Kingdom Villas – Rooms 5425, 5427, & 5512
Transportation to Disney World: Van
Parks Visited: Epcot, MK, AK, & DHS

Hey, I just found your TR and realized that I am in your shoutouts! :banana: :thumbsup2 That's enough to get me on board with your TR...:teeth:

I am very jealous of AKV being your "home." Not that I don't love our home resort at Saratoga Springs! But AKV is a pretty awesome resort. :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read more about your trip!

I'm sitting here, laughing to myself, and wondering if we are related. I have completely experienced this type of travel. You basically bring everything with you but the furniture and the kitchen sink.:rotfl2:

I was rolling about the part where your DMIL was telling the CM how to load the cart and your DFIL just watched. Sounds like a very wise man.:cool2:

Can't wait to hear more........and SOON!!!!!

Hey, I just found your TR and realized that I am in your shoutouts! :banana: :thumbsup2 That's enough to get me on board with your TR...:teeth:

I am very jealous of AKV being your "home." Not that I don't love our home resort at Saratoga Springs! But AKV is a pretty awesome resort. :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Welcome! I am glad you found my TR. I hope you find it as enjoyable as I have found yours to be. I am still reading the one you are writing now.
AKV is a great resort. Like I said in a previous post, I do want to visit SSR one day.

I'm sitting here, laughing to myself, and wondering if we are related. I have completely experienced this type of travel. You basically bring everything with you but the furniture and the kitchen sink.:rotfl2:

I was rolling about the part where your DMIL was telling the CM how to load the cart and your DFIL just watched. Sounds like a very wise man.:cool2:

Can't wait to hear more........and SOON!!!!!

I have experienced this type of travel most of my life with my parents. Packing everything but the kitchen sink is the only way my DM travels. DF has learned after almost 48 years of marriage to just stand back and let DM be. He is a wise man. But, at the time I did not find it funny when DM was telling the CM how to load the cart. I was so embarassed. Now, I can laugh about it because I know how my DM is.

Everyone was grateful when food was ready. We had turkey burgers, hot dogs, and Pringles. DMIL also made a salad and sliced some onions and tomatoes to go on the hamburgers. That meal hit the spot. Everyone was satisfied. After the meal, it was time to get back to work.

I unpacked our clothes and helped DMIL unpack all of the food products. Our refrigerator filled out pretty quickly so we had to use the small refrigerator in her room for the overflow.

After all of the unpacking, I was too tired to go to Downtown Disney. I took some pictures of our 2-bedroom(not too many) …

100_2508.jpg

100_2500.jpg

100_2499.jpg

100_2506.jpg

100_2503.jpg

Door that leads to the studio (5427)

100_2505.jpg
100_2504.jpg

100_2501.jpg

100_2561.jpg

100_2502.jpg

Left view

… and then sat down and rested for a while. I was a tired lady.

Later, that evening, DH, DS, & I decided to look around the lobby. It is during this time we discovered that a Photopass photographer had roped off a little section in the lobby to take pictures. He told us that photographers would be in the lobby every evening to take pictures. He further explained that this was something new and was only available at three resorts. I was so glad that I had pre-purchased the Disney Photopass CD. I knew that I would be taking advantaging of this service starting tonight. I asked for a Photopass card and then my family & I sat down for our first picture together at Disney. How fitting the picture was taken at AKV. Welcome home!

image002.jpg
image007.jpg

After we finished taking our pictures, the rest of the family met us in the lobby and we went on a self-guided tour of AKV. My mission was to find BOMA since we would be eating breakfast there the next morning, but, first, we looked in the Zawadi Marketplace. My DF & DU tried on some hats. My DM went on a search to find the plates like the ones that were hanging on the wall. We all left the store empty handed. We then headed down to the first floor and found BOMA. Somehow, DMIL was able to walk in and look around. When DU tried to do it he was stopped by a greeter and told he could not. Next, we went outside. It was a little cool so DM & DF went back inside. The rest of us explored the outside surroundings. The pool was beautiful. I wish I could have taken a dip. DS was trying his best to get in. We quickly moved on and found the Hakuna Matata Playground. It was dark but that did not stop DS from wanting to go down the slides. It was at that moment that he & DU bonded. DU would pick DS up and help him slide down the slide and then pick him up and do it all over again. I lost track of how long this went on. DS was having so much fun and DU seemed to be too.

Since it was getting a little chilly, we decided to head back to our rooms. We wished DU a good night and went our separate ways once we got off the elevator. When we got back to our room, DMIL decided that we needed ice so she and DS went on a hunt for some. In the meantime, I decided to take a movie of our room. I do not know why I thought it would be a good idea to film the bedrooms at night because it came out dark even though it looked fine to me while I was filming it. It totally slipped my mind to try filming again during the day. Hopefully, you can see some of the room or at least get a sense of the layout.

AKV 2-Bedroom L/O

Once DMIL & DS came back, I got DS ready for bed and put him in the pack ‘n play. It was way past his bedtime. He was out in no time.

Now, it was my turn to relax but I could not. I was so excited about the plans for the next day and wanted to look at the packet that I was given when we checked in.
100_3095.jpg

Inside the packet was the Times Guide for the week which listed the openings, closings, and EMH for each park. It also contained the resort’s activities sheet and some advertisements.
100_3096.jpg
100_3098.jpg

I took note of Portable Perks booklet that was included in the folder and put it in DS’s diaper bag. Portable Perks contained what restaurants, counter services, stores, etc. offered discounts to DVC members.
100_3097.jpg

Portable Perks

I then reviewed the itinerary for the next day, Sunday, February 8. Now, it was time to have a good night’s sleep and what a good night’s sleep it was after I got used to the pillows. I am used to having king-size pillows on a king-size bed. These pillows were small but the bed was very comfortable and I eventually got used to the pillows. I wanted to be well rested since I knew we would have a busy day. Sunday would begin with breakfast at BOMA followed by a visit to Epcot.

It was a sight to behold. All of the groceries that both mothers had could have fed a small army and both tried to cook everything they brought. DS would sometimes eat breakfast twice since both grandmothers did not want him to be hungry. It was so funny.

That must have been something to see! I can't wait to hear about more.

I didn't know about the photographers in the lobby. They took some great pictures for you!

Sorry for the delay. Here is another installment. I hope there are some who are still interested.

Sunday, February 8, 2009
The Plan:

8:50 a.m. reservation for breakfast at Boma in the AKL. Be at Epcot by 11:00 a.m. Originally, this day was supposed to be a ½ day at Epcot with us touring the World Showcase which is why I wanted to be at the park by 11 a.m. But, since we were purchasing only a 5-day pass with the military salute discount, this would be our only day at Epcot as a group. I did not want to change our reservations at Boma so I stuck with the 11:00 a.m. arrival time.

What happened:
We left off with me going to bed after a long day of unpacking and get things situated in the room. Even though I was tired, I could not sleep well. I guess I was excited about eating at Boma’s and finally going to a park. Or, it could have been the smell of turkey cooking in the oven at 5 o’clock in the morning. Yes, you read right. Around 5 in the morning the aroma of a cooking turkey wafted into the bedroom. I had flashbacks of Thanksgiving morn. Was I dreaming? No. I was awakened from my slumber by the clinging of pots and pans and the smells of Thanksgiving. My DMIL was preparing the evening meal. I tossed and turned for a little bit and tried to go back to sleep but 7 o’clock came in no time. I sprung out of bed excited about the day’s events.

Breakfast at Boma’s was a must. I have read so many great reviews that I had to experience it for myself. Everybody was on time except for DH’s DF and his wife. They were staying off property and were going to meet us at Boma. Our crew met at the elevator and headed down. We arrived about five minutes before our reservation and were given a buzzer. While waiting, I took a couple of pictures.

100_2512.jpg

100_2510.jpg

The wait was not long. In about five minutes we were called to our table.

100_0086.jpg

We placed our orders for the famous jungle juice, which was DELISH, and the parents ordered coffee. We then headed up to get our plates and fill them with food. The selections were outstanding.
100_0084.jpg

100_2518.jpg
100_2519.jpg

100_2520.jpg

100_2521.jpg

100_2522.jpg

100_2523.jpg

100_2524.jpg

100_2525.jpg

100_2526.jpg

100_2527.jpg

During that time, DH’s DF & his wife (DMIL2) had arrived.
100_2529.jpg

The food was very good and tasty. Everyone enjoyed their meals although there was some debate about whether grits were better than one of the African dishes of which I can't remember the name. And, the service was wonderful.

Now, it was time to head to Epcot. But, first, we needed to grab our stuff from the rooms.

That must have been something to see! I can't wait to hear about more.

I didn't know about the photographers in the lobby. They took some great pictures for you!

It was a sight to behold and amazingly we managed to put everything away.

I loved the way the pictures turned out. I was so happy they were available every night because we had a new group taking pictures every night due to the visitors we had.

I will not bore you with all of the details but needless to say I called MS more than once. I changed our reservations from Feb. 7 – 14 to Feb 8 – 15 to Feb 8 – 14 back to Feb. 7-14. And, I will not begin to tell you how many times I changed my dining reservations (ADRs).

Umm. These are DISers you are talking to.... !!

We do this all the time!!
:rotfl2:

Going back to finish reading.... I'm hoping that we will get AKV when I make our DVC ressie next week and I'm so excited to read an AKV report!!

Kathy

YEAH!!! Your back!!!:yay:

Not to get ahead of your TR but did you eat a Boma for dinner? If you did how was it? I was thinking of eating there when we were there in March but I ended up changing Boma to something else...... We didn't know if our DD would like all the different food. She is really picky!

Waiting to hear more:goodvibes:goodvibes

Tim

:thumbsup2Don't you just love Boma, your pics had my mouth watering(where is that drooling smiley?) I want some Frunch NOW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter