Plaids

longboard55

DIS Veteran
So we were at DLR on the 4th and we saw an unusual high amount of tour guides, or as the insiders call them Plaids. Maybe 20-30 groups. So for the fun of it, we checked the internet to see what one would cost. How do you like starting at $2500 for a minimum 6 hour day/ Yikes, and I was complaining $200 light sabers.

For the right group, it may be worth it. $3k for 10 people is $300 per person. I'm guessing you could pretty get through all the rides you wanted with minimal hassle/waiting in line. If someone has the money but limited vacation time and/or limited patience (and of course the money), I could see why people would want to do this.

We have a group that has definitely thought about it. Would be really fun for one day. We have 6 AP holders and would fill in with a few friends. It would be a great time and a very special memory. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm sure we will eventually.

The other funny thing is as you would guess, most groups stay at the GCH, so at 9:00 am by the fireplace there was always a large group of Plaids waiting for their tour.

The other funny thing is as you would guess, most groups stay at the GCH, so at 9:00 am by the fireplace there was always a large group of Plaids waiting for their tour.

That is more a function of that with your VIP Tour, you get free valet parking at the Grand for two vehicles so the GCH Lobby is a common starting point to meet the tour guides.

For a holiday weekend, the price is usually much higher than the minimum per hour that you quoted. Because I own my own business and no one but me can bill/bring in income, when I am out of town, I make no money, and in fact it costs me to be out of the office because I still have to pay my staff to be there. So, my vacation time is very “expensive” to me. We have not needed a VIP guide at DLR since I feel we get so much done with MP, but we have done several VIP guides at WDW over the last few years. This has been well worth it to get a lot done in a short number of days. To extend our trip by a day or two, miss those days in my office and pay for the onsite room for 2 more days costs about as much as the VIP, so it is worth it for me in my circumstances. You do have to have the stamina for it because it is a go-all-day type of day. You don’t realize that standing in line is not always a terrible thing, as it gives a little break! But I’m not complaining! The VIP is awesome.

Club 33 members also get a certain number of tours a year with their memberships, something to remember.
(Not sure if 1901 membership offers a similar perk.)
There is no such thing as a 1901 membership. 1901 is a lounge in DCA for Club 33 members.

I believe there used to be a separate membership for 1901 that didn’t include Club 33, @Malcon10t, but that really doesn’t matter. It may have changed, I don’t really bother to keep up.

The point was that some of the Plaids are being used by members because Plaids are a perk. 😉

Last edited:
I believe there used to be a separate membership for 1901 that didn’t include Club 33, @Malcon10t, but that really doesn’t matter. It may have changed, I don’t really bother to keep up.

The point was that some of the Plaids are being used by members because Plaids are a perk. 😉

IIRC, when they 'redid' the C33 membership levels, they 'grandfathered' in certain less expensive membership levels but didn't include entry into 1901 for them (or some of them). Apparently it was done that way to 'encourage' members with older (ie cheaper') membership levels to upgrade.

Up until about a year ago, I presumed Plaids we’re to be regarded as Disneyland experts; that they knew all of the ins and outs of the park; that they had a superior knowledge of DL. In fact, they don’t and other than their specific duties, no additional training or expertise is required. I learned this recently when a few times I approached Plaids with specific questions. In all cases they gave me inaccurate information (it felt like they were guessing) or they simply didn’t know enough to answer me. This is certainly not a criticism of Plaids. It’s more a criticism of myself for presuming anything. Plaid uniforms seem to imply higher status but there really isn’t any. I’ve since spoken to CMs - both Plaids and non-Plaids - on this issue and in all cases I was told that superior knowledge of the park was in no way required or implied. A CM with whom I’m acquainted actually laughed when I asked her about this and said “Absolutely not.” She also explained that many Plaids were relatively new CMs (and not veterans, as I’d presumed).

As an aside, less than a year ago a Plaid was with a small group behind me in line for Buzz. I overheard her explain how scoring for the various targets was structured. She was wrong about several of them. Now: on the one hand, I wanted the guests to have correct information. But I also realized that it might be embarrassing for the Plaid to be corrected publicly. So I pulled her aside - to the extent that’s possible in a queue - and shared what I knew. Moments later, she corrected herself to the guests. Hopefully that worked out best for everyone.

There are various levels of "Plaids". Most are "Guest Relations" and don't do tours. They work the windows, man booths, help with crowd control. Others do tours like "Walk in Walt's Footsteps", but don't do VIP tours. Then you have VIP guides, and even higher up are what I call high profile guides. They handle guests who are higher profile. They know how to get the guest out of an area when being mobbed, know ins and outs. Yes, you have some VIP guides that aren't into how to score on TSMM or BLAB, but I have also had guides who are very knowledgable.

Yes, you have some VIP guides that aren't into how to score on TSMM or BLAB, but I have also had guides who are very knowledgable.
That was merely one example I gave. I’ve approached Plaids a few times and they either gave me info that I knew to be incorrect or they didn’t even try to guess. Again, this isn’t a criticism of them. It’s an observation: don’t presume that because they’re in a fancy uniform (relatively) that they’re DL experts. I’ve no doubt that they’re good at their specific job(s).

That was merely one example I gave. I’ve approached Plaids a few times and they either gave me info that I knew to be incorrect or they didn’t even try to guess. Again, this isn’t a criticism of them. It’s an observation: don’t presume that because they’re in a fancy uniform (relatively) that they’re DL experts. I’ve no doubt that they’re good at their specific job(s).
Most of the "Plaids" you see are actually Guest Relations, and not tour guides. They usually deal with DAS passes, taking complaints and compliments, and giving directions to the bathroom. Few would be what I call "experts".

We are absolutely doing a VIP tour when we go in October. We have a full group of 10 and figured we would throw money at having shorter lines. Time = money or some thing like that.

Back in the day most of the Vip Tour Guides came from the same pool of Guest Relation cast members that also provided the guided tours thus were usually muck more knowledgeable and more of the "experts" you would expect. With the boom of VIP tours and the decline of guided tours, while still a coveted and screened position they have had to throw more regular Guest Services cast members out as VIP Tour Guides that may not neceassrily have the depth of knowledge that the group as a whole once did...and have become simply human fast passes.

Still well worth the cost and experience IMO. You can do more in a 6 hour Tour than most people do in three days then get to spend the rest of your time enjoying the smaller things in the park that many would pass up rushing to the next E Ticket attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter