Pirates of the Caribbean Ride

shoes99

DIS Veteran
We only went to the MK on Tuesday, and the Pirates ride was shut down most of the early evening. We went back after 9PM and got to walk right on.
DSC03544.jpg

DSC03546.jpg

I have to admit.....I haven't read my most recent Passporter yet. I can't becuase the trip is a surprise and as soon as my DD's see the book - the cat's out of the bag.

What's the scare factor like on the ride? My 7 yr old saw POC and loved the movie. She thought it was hysterical. At one point she had the whole theater in stitches because out loud she said "Capt Jack looks like a shish-kabob"....and he really did when he was on the stick over the fire.

She'll want to go on the ride...but I don't want to scare her to death.

mmmcq said:
I have to admit.....I haven't read my most recent Passporter yet. I can't becuase the trip is a surprise and as soon as my DD's see the book - the cat's out of the bag.

What's the scare factor like on the ride? My 7 yr old saw POC and loved the movie. She thought it was hysterical. At one point she had the whole theater in stitches because out loud she said "Capt Jack looks like a shish-kabob"....and he really did when he was on the stick over the fire.

She'll want to go on the ride...but I don't want to scare her to death.

She should be fine. The ride is much tamer than the movie. The very beginning is in total darkness for a very short time, so kids who are afraid of the dark might be frightened.

She is a bit afraid of the dark, but only if we're aren't in the vicinity. She'll be clutching one of us.....nails in our legs....so that ought to do it!

Thanks.

OMG -- Wifey and I went to see POC II and were so glad we didn't take DS(7) with us. The movies is VERY scary, much more than POC I. A lot more Shock than the first one. My own kid would have been burying his head and trembling through most of it. But, hey, that why we all know our kids. My 4 year old probably would have loved it! (But he didn't get to go either!)

We're looking forward to the new POC at WDW the first week of October!~

Well it wasn't planned and we did think we were a little crazy because we've never, ever taken her to anything close to POC II. But it was like this......we were on vacation in a beach cottage and had just endured our 3rd day of rain. We had spent the day looking for a book store and it had taken us hours just to find something to read. This is a wonderful beach location....but not much in terms of retail if you don't have sun. We were bored silly.....really silly. I think I was on my 3rd or 4th Jodi Picoult book and was really getting desperate for a laugh. She's a really, really depressing author - her subjects that is.

So POC II had just come out and my teens had tried to get in on their own the first night of vacation, but it had been sold out. Since it was raining so hard I didn't want new driver DD going to theater on her own (turns out the road was flooded on the way) .....and we had major stir crazy-itis. We took a chance - seated her on the isle next to DD's and DH and I sat behind her. We covered her eyes a few times......but thankfully she thought it was funny and not scary so we got away with it.

We won't be taking her to any other scary movies for a long time. DD is looking over my shoulder now and begging me to put in a smilie.....pirate:

Now DD is reading the post and realizes that it's about her.....oh oh. :rotfl:

My four year old loved this ride, not scared at all.

We rode POTC twice on Tuesday, once about 11:00 am and again around 2:00pm. On the second ride the animatronic of Jack Sparrow at the end of the ride was not working--that's probably why it was shut down for a while.

mmmcq said:
She is a bit afraid of the dark, but only if we're aren't in the vicinity. She'll be clutching one of us.....nails in our legs....so that ought to do it!

Thanks.
Go to the Dollar Tree and get her a glow stick on a lanyard or a bracelet that will help for the dark rides.. My kids have been riding POTC since they were two and its a family fave ( I rode it as a child myself)
So how have the lines for this ride been? I love the pics by the way..

Question: I remember there being a small drop-off in the beginning of the old version. Is the same drop-off there now or is it somewhere else?

disneyaggie said:
Question: I remember there being a small drop-off in the beginning of the old version. Is the same drop-off there now or is it somewhere else?
Same small drop, with Davy Jones hollagram right at the front. The rest of the ride is the same, with Jack Sparrow inserted in three sections.

We rode it on Tuesday also and was on the ride when it stopped. CM told us that someone had dropped something in the water and they had to retrieve it. They wouldn't tell us what was dropped. We were lucky as we were the next boat to unload at the dock. After being stopped about 15-20 minutes, they started taking people off the ride. They brought a bridge over to the boats behind us so people could walk off. We could step to the front seat of the boat and walk off at the exit. They gave us all a fast pass to any attraction in the MK.

shoes99 said:
Did you like my pictures of Jack Sparrow in the ride?

Excellent pics. :) All I've seen so far is film, it's nice to see some not moving!

anyone who is thinking about bringing small children, just give them a heads up in the queue that there is a very dark part with a small drop, about the length of the boat (or that's what it feels like).

I will say one thing for PotC, it's not horrifyingly deafening like most Disney attractions! You'd think with the cannons it would be much, much louder.

Of course I know they upgraded the sound system so now I may be completely wrong. :lmao:

I can't wait to bring my little guys on this ride. I can't wait to see it now that Johnnie Depp is in it too. Has much changed besides his character being added?

This has always been my dh's favorite ride since he was a boy. We have mixed feelings about it changing but Captain Jack really looks cool! The pictures were great. And I guess the hype is a good thing. Before POTC movie, there was NEVER a line for this ride - not even in August peak season. :( Now we know it's a popular ride and will probably be around for years to come! :)

Since I first boarded the boat in DLand 30 years ago to today, POC has always ben my favorite. Just prior to the first movie the family went to teh WDW version and they all loved it. My kids are now 9,7, and 5. All thought it was the bomb and as we are headed to the world next month they are counting the hours to ride.

I do however, wish that the staging area at WDW was simular to the staging area at Dland. Having the restaurant and the false night time, bayou environment as you are waiting to drop into the pirate realm was great. Having the ride as an addition to the restaurant scenery was great too for the patrons eating.

BlindTyldak said:
anyone who is thinking about bringing small children, just give them a heads up in the queue that there is a very dark part with a small drop, about the length of the boat (or that's what it feels like).

My son, who is 14, was 9 the last time we went to WDW. He remembered the ride, but not much of it. He hates any water ride with a drop, so we avoid Splash Mountain and a few others. Well, since he did not remember the small drop on POTC, we told him upon entering that there was a huge drop coming up. This kid was hanging onto me and bracing himself with his feet. Tiny little drop and it was over. He could have pounded me a good one. :teeth: Did not help when we went to Epcot and rode the Norway boat ride. Boat looked like it was going up a huge ramp for huge drop. Had him believing it. Small drop. Got him again on same ride. Boat started backward :rolleyes1 I think he will remember those rides next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter