• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

** Picture of the Day 3 **

MB4_2109.jpg
My father took this picture in NYC in roughly 1956. The people in the picture were friends of his, but he doesn't recall who they are. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out where the picture was taken. The main clue was the "Max Moscowitz" store. I found an image of an old advertisement they ran that included their address. They are no longer there, but I was able to find the spot in Google Maps street view.

This was our last picture in Liverpool. We were on our way to the Manchester Airport; our cab driver was fabulous! He was our own personal tour guide on the way "out of town" taking us down Penny Lane. He lives on this same block of the childhood home of John Lennon. He pulled over in front of the house to take the picture. :lovestruc

Resized_20230216_153704(2).jpeg
:tink:

San Francisco's Mission District

ed-115%20SFed1-XL.jpg

Going through some photos yesterday I found this one of DH standing on the corner lot we bought in a planned community in PA back in 2007. We later sold it when we found that we couldn't build a home we liked which met the minimum community requirements for less than $400,000 😲😲😲 We're so glad we sold it when the housing market collapsed in 2008.

IMG_0227ed-XL.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

That's the lot we built our first house on in Sugar Land, TX back in 1998. We chose it because it was the only lot with a tree. The area was farmland near an old Imperial Sugar processing plant, so there were virtually no trees around. As it turns out, our house wouldn't fit onto the lot without taking out the tree, so we didn't get our tree after all. But, we learned that it was a cottonwood and they are not good trees to have near your house. They are incredibly messy. Their branches are dangerously brittle. And they attack pipes.

Venus and Jupiter aligning, they will appear to be almost together 01 March. This is near our home which was built on a lot that was a cul-de-sac before the street was extended to add more houses. ;)

planets1200_20230220_185047.jpg

View attachment 741609

That's the lot we built our first house on in Sugar Land, TX back in 1998. We chose it because it was the only lot with a tree. The area was farmland near an old Imperial Sugar processing plant, so there were virtually no trees around. As it turns out, our house wouldn't fit onto the lot without taking out the tree, so we didn't get our tree after all. But, we learned that it was a cottonwood and they are not good trees to have near your house. They are incredibly messy. Their branches are dangerously brittle. And they attack pipes.

Sounds like your house plans were a blessing in disguise! I had heard that about cottonwoods; they are found just east of us all over eastern Colorado at the lower elevations. But they are banned in the Denver area for planting!

We also found out that there was no fast food delivery in the area (a big must for DH who does all the cooking) and hospitals/doctors were poorly rated. I loved the rural mountain setting but it can't compare to having Pikes Peak in our view now.

IMG_5202ed-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like your house plans were a blessing in disguise! I had heard that about cottonwoods; they are found just east of us all over eastern Colorado at the lower elevations. But they are banned in the Denver area for planting!

We also found out that there was no fast food delivery in the area (a big must for DH who does all the cooking) and hospitals/doctors were poorly rated. I loved the rural mountain setting but it can't compare to having Pikes Peak in our view now.
No mountain views here. We have one man-made hill nearby, but it's only about 30' high. We play disc golf there a lot. We have a pretty good yard view because we back up to a greenbelt, so we trees behind our yard.

DJI_0001.00_02_19_00.Still044.jpg
Here's our backyard from about 8 years ago. Times have not been good to it. We've had two years with deep freezes that killed a lot of stuff. The palms near the pool got too tall, so we took them out. The power isn't working in the gazebo, so we need to get that fixed. Right now, the yard looks like a barren wasteland. It should be better in the spring, but it will take years of "normal" weather before it grows back to what it was once like.

No mountain views here. We have one man-made hill nearby, but it's only about 30' high. We play disc golf there a lot. We have a pretty good yard view because we back up to a greenbelt, so we trees behind our yard.

View attachment 741874
Here's our backyard from about 8 years ago. Times have not been good to it. We've had two years with deep freezes that killed a lot of stuff. The palms near the pool got too tall, so we took them out. The power isn't working in the gazebo, so we need to get that fixed. Right now, the yard looks like a barren wasteland. It should be better in the spring, but it will take years of "normal" weather before it grows back to what it was once like.

What a beautiful design! And a shame that the weather has been so hard on your area. We're about to contract our entire yard to be re-landscaped since nothing has been done since the house was built in 2003 or so. The soil is so thin that grass barely grows and mulch washes away quickly. It's going to be expensive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter