pick a pearl setting

Well for some reason I read thru every page of this thread, even though we have done this for years!!!

It did a good job of reminding me though that one of my pearl rings has a slightly loose pearl - it can 'spin' on it's post so I want to at least take it back & have it checked. Also reminded me that I don't know where the 'spear' ring is!!! Have to hunt for that - it's the simple 'swoosh' design that 'swoops' out from the pearl on each end that a few people showed back several pages.

We have actually done this 6 or 7 times - one time in 1989 out on Hwy 192 - we brought that pearl home. At least one time at Islands of Adventure (back right corner of the park area??) and I believe the rest at Japan. I have the two rings, DD has a necklace & we have 3 loose pearls (couldn't afford any settings the first several trips). I checked the ones in the baggies tonight - have a huge cream one, a mid-size cream one & a tiny, tiny black/silver one. Considering getting a carriage cage for the black one. Both mounted rings are cream or slightly golden tint.

But you have my 'fever' going again. We may not get to Disney next summer, but it is always on our to-do list when we go. I have also passed up the PF several times at Flamingo, even this last summer when they were right at the exit to my bank of elevators, LOL. A bit leary of them with the bad DTD raps received, but before I head to LV again, I will price out the setting(s) I want online at their website so I am prepared & know what to request.

And as a note, the entire Japanese department store is a wonderful 'gift' place. All thru school my DDs friends have loved the unique candies you can bring back from Japan (and a few from Great Britain too!). I have also brought back the small cat figurines for luck, health, wealth, etc., for my friends for small 'rememberances'.

PF has very few settings that are not 14K gold so the pieces are very expensive for a $17-$20 pearl, know what I mean? I asked the ladies in Mikimotos what the difference was in the pearls we get out of our oysters in the main shop and the pearls they sell and they said the pearls that Mikimotos sells are of the highest quality. I asked if it was possible that you could pick an oyster from the tank that had an oyster of that type of value to it and they were very non-commital. I have asked this question during several trips to try to get a firm response and no such luck. So....my thought is why spend the type of money they want at PF and put up with their nasty attitudes when I am thrilled with my beautiful sterling pieces from Epcot? Make sense?

I don't know if you can drill the pearls when they have been out of the shell for a while so double check with the ladies before you ask them to drill them. Also, they will ask you where you got them and if they are not in one of their bags from Japan/Epcot, they will ask you about them. They will not set the PF pearls and yes I am aware they can't "tell" but I have this thing about being honest! lol

Have a great trip when you do go, enjoy the process of doing this, and enjoy the piece when you get it. The memories I have every time I wear my pieces....such special special times. :goodvibes

Oh, I'm so happy to have read this thread. Well, not all of it, but the first few pages and the last few pages. I hope to get through more of it when I find the time ~ LOL!

We would love to pick our own pearls when we go to WDW next year! I think I'm more excited than my DD! I know we'll add this to our "things to do" list for sure!

I've done the pick a pearl in Japan twice now. My first is in the cage setting necklace, and the second in a ring with 2 small diamonds. I love them both and it's always my favorite thing to do at WS. My boyfriend nieces get one every year and save them till they're older and can pick their own setting. To those who have never done it before, make sure to go to the register on the right to get a number before you can pick your pearl, we made the mistake of waiting for someone to ask us the first time.

Yes, I actually read through all 102 pages of this thread in one sitting. :scared1: I love the pick-a-pearl place in the Mitsukoshi store at Epcot!! This thread inspired me to search for inexpensive sterling silver pearl cages that I could order before our trip. I found an option that no one else has posted, so I thought I'd share. I ordered 2 of them (one for me & one for my mom) for less than $13, including shipping. :yay:

http://www.thebeadhouse.com/Shop_c358120.html

Looking forward to picking out my pearl (or pearls) in February!

Shelli

UPDATE: After placing my order, I received a message that the pearl cages were on backorder. I finally received them in late December & was upset to find them bent out of shape from shipping. They were placed in a small plastic bag inside a bubble wrap mailer without any other protection. :-( I'm sending them back for a refund. Instead of ordering ahead, I'm going to spend the extra money & purchase a setting for the pearl at WDW.

Yes, I actually read through all 102 pages of this thread in one sitting. :scared1: I love the pick-a-pearl place in the Mitsukoshi store at Epcot!! This thread inspired me to search for inexpensive sterling silver pearl cages that I could order before our trip. I found an option that no one else has posted, so I thought I'd share. I ordered 2 of them (one for me & one for my mom) for less than $13, including shipping. :yay:

http://www.thebeadhouse.com/Shop_c358120.html

Looking forward to picking out my pearl (or pearls) in February!

Shelli

THANK YOU!!!:worship: My daughter and I are going to do this and I wanted a nice, but reasonably priced cage!!!

THANK YOU!!!:worship: My daughter and I are going to do this and I wanted a nice, but reasonably priced cage!!!

You're welcome. Glad I could help! :wave2: I liked that one, in particular, because it's sterling silver & it can hold a pearl up to 8mm. I think it will be perfect!

Shelli

Pick a Pearl is one of the most treasured things to me at Disney.

My family started taking me to Disney shortly after the parks opened in the late 70s. By the time Epcot opened, we had been there a number of time already and my father started a tradition with me.

Every time we went, we did the Pick a Pearl and I got to select a ring, bracelet or necklace to have the pearl mounted in. I still have every one of those items since.

My father now has Alzheimers and our family has been in a state of remembering the past and this one thing is one of my most treasured memories of my father.

I remember the excitement as I pick out my oyster and the CM opens it to find the treasure inside. I remember taking a long, long time in the store going over every setting to see which was my favorite. And I remember what a fuss he would make over me the entire trip of now beautiful I looked with my new item and that how I was just like that pearl to him.

So while picking a pearl and a setting may seem like a trivial thing in Disney, trust me, it can have an impact on a person throughout their whole life.

Pick a Pearl is one of the most treasured things to me at Disney.

My family started taking me to Disney shortly after the parks opened in the late 70s. By the time Epcot opened, we had been there a number of time already and my father started a tradition with me.

Every time we went, we did the Pick a Pearl and I got to select a ring, bracelet or necklace to have the pearl mounted in. I still have every one of those items since.

My father now has Alzheimers and our family has been in a state of remembering the past and this one thing is one of my most treasured memories of my father.

I remember the excitement as I pick out my oyster and the CM opens it to find the treasure inside. I remember taking a long, long time in the store going over every setting to see which was my favorite. And I remember what a fuss he would make over me the entire trip of now beautiful I looked with my new item and that how I was just like that pearl to him.

So while picking a pearl and a setting may seem like a trivial thing in Disney, trust me, it can have an impact on a person throughout their whole life.

Love this very personal story, thank you for sharing. I hope you cherish this memory always. God Bless you and your family!

Wow, what a thread! I'm so glad to have found it. We'll be down there for a week around New Year's, and I'm thinking this would be a wonderful going away present (I leave for the Navy a week after we return from WDW) for DBF to get me. We've been looking for a claddagh ring with my birthstone in it locally but have been unable to find one. We even looked in the UK at Epcot when we went for F&W, but they didn't even have real sterling ones, much less the 10 or 14k yellow gold that I prefer. Does anyone have any idea if they might have that kind of ring setting? It's the hands holding a heart with a crown on top. I'm thinking that might be difficult to set a pearl into, though. Any help at all would be much appreciated! :)

wondering the same...and haven't seen anyone answer yet :upsidedow

Hoping so. DW will be teaching when DS and I go off to spend some time with my family for the marathon weekend period. He and I will likely go over and make this her souvenir for the trip, regardless. But if I can get it with my Visa rewards dollars, so much the better.

I have a ring in which the pearl was glued. I got it ten years ago and it's still in there tight! I also have two pendants onto which the pearls were glued and I have a "cage" pendant in which the pearl floats freely. I am not sure what they do with earrings, but I don't ever remember seeing them drill.
Hope this helps...pick a good one :)

We bought one of the cage pendants for our daughter while visiting in September. It was her birthday present. The lady at the stand saw her wearing her birthday pin and told us she would let her pick out her own pearl at no charge. While there, our daughter saw the Cinderella's carriage necklace pendant, so we bought her the pendant. We just open up the pendant, put the pearl inside the carriage, and close it back up. The pearl floats freely inside.

Okay, I made it through about twenty pages and had to give up :lmao:

We would love to do this with our kids in a couple weeks. I'm trying to figure out if they actually sell the carriage cages at the Japan location, or if I need to buy them from ebay like someone mentioned.

Is there any sort of master list or website that actually shows what settings/options they have available at the japan location?

My daughter's carriage cage was purchased at The Pearl Factory in Downtown Disney.

Did the pick a pearl today at Epcot for the first time and per the suggestions of the DIS boards I picked the hairest ugly pearl I could find..drum roll please popcorn:: It was a beautiful 7mm gray pearl :yay: I got it set in a sterling silver ring and now it is wrapped and under the Christmas tree since my DS wanted it to be from him..it was so much fun..they made a really big deal out of the color told me that only 1 percent is that color..I know it was the only one I saw of that color and I was there an hour watching. The price is 15.95 to pick a pearl I thought it was 14.95 but still a great bargain and lots of fun..Happy picking :)

I picked my first pearl this past Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised when I got a 8mm silver-blue pearl. It is just beautiful. Matches my son's eyes perfectly!!!

My son was so excited by this whole process that when we were in Epcot on Fri he spent the last of his money to pick another pearl for me and we got a 7mm gold colored pearl. He is such a sweet little boy!!! Maybe I should say big boy now that he is 13, lol. He is going to make someone a great husband one day!!!

Here is a picture of the two pearls that I got this past week, they are so beautiful!!!

DSC_0253-1-1.jpg

Gorgeous! My husband is pretty desperate to find himself a black pearl... fingers crossed that on our next trip he finds one!

The lady working asked me what my secret was for picking the silver/blue pearl. She was so cute and asked if I could pick for her next time. She was very excited when she saw it and got more excited when she measured it. She said it was the biggest pearl of the day! I thought I was lucky because it seems to change colors depending on what light your under, sometimes silver sometimes purple, sometimes it even has a greenish tint. The more I look at it the more I love it, lol. And the one my son picked just glows with a golden kind of rose color. I need to find a setting for that one since we didn't have time that day to do it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter