PHXscuba's Club 33 Christmas

OK, before I completely wrap up, I wanted to share one more piece of my trip that I meant to share at the beginning.

If you've read along since the beginning you might remember a first-page post on my Dad and Disneyland. He is a longtime fan of Disney and Disneyland and probably has read more books about it than I have. He is 79 now and has some balance issues that prevent him from enjoying the parks.

But the day before my Mom and I went in September, Dad and I took a long walk to our favorite frozen yogurt place and we talked about Disneyland. I finally got a chance to ask him when he very FIRST went to Disneyland. I knew it was early on.

He said he had been there within the first year the park was open, in the spring he thinks. He was stationed in San Diego with the Navy and drove up with a date for the day. He specifically remembers riding Autopia, the pack mules and the stagecoach, seeing the Indian village, and the Jungle Cruise. He said they did "everything" and were done in only a few hours!

I'm glad I got a chance to ask him about it. I hate to even think about it, but I'm starting to treat every visit I have with him as if it could be the last time. He is a huge part of the reason I have always loved Disneyland and why I got to go so often as a child. As teens it was big treat one year when he took us kids -- individually -- for a day at Disneyland to celebrate our good grades. I don't have to explain or hide my love for the parks because my parents get it. And two of their three kids love it too. My brother liked it and married into a Disney-crazy family. My sister is only so-so about it -- she hates the high prices and long lines. I'm working on her!

PHXscuba

........I finally read your March TR :sad2: Nothing like taking 7 months to come back and catch up!! :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 I just love the colors during the spring time at the park....I just don't like all the crowds! You had a ton of great pics & your family looked like they were having a blast! Loved all the posed on-ride pics!! :laughing:

Enjoyed seeing the Halloween/Fall decorations for your birthday trip! Is your birthday on the 20th? (mines the 22nd) :goodvibes

Looking forward to meeting you in December!! :woohoo:

........I finally read your March TR :sad2: Nothing like taking 7 months to come back and catch up!! :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 I just love the colors during the spring time at the park....I just don't like all the crowds! You had a ton of great pics & your family looked like they were having a blast! Loved all the posed on-ride pics!! :laughing:

Enjoyed seeing the Halloween/Fall decorations for your birthday trip! Is your birthday on the 20th? (mines the 22nd) :goodvibes

Looking forward to meeting you in December!! :woohoo:

Laurie, my birthday is actually the 26th but I could only get to Disneyland the week before, so I declared it my birthday!

I'm glad you enjoyed my TR -- it's the gift that keeps on giving!:lmao: We did have a great time and the kids love looking at the photos.

Looking forward to my next adventure ... stay tuned for a followup post!

PHXscuba

So I had planned to do this all yesterday or Sunday but the days got away from me and I wanted to finish strong.

Those of you who've followed along know that I made myself an "AP bucket list" -- not everything I'll ever get to do at Disneyland, but what I really hoped I'd get to do at Disneyland before my AP expires next March. Before my fall trip, I broke it down to a "September bucket list."

So how'd I do? :confused3

Here's the original list (copied from page 30), along with my notes of got done, left undone, and thumbs up or down.

September Bucket List
1. Get a birthday button -- since I'll be there less than a week before my birthday, I am calling it my birthday! -- CHECK! and it was fun hearing random CMs and guests wish me happy birthday all day

2. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy ... hopefully with mum in tow -- first thing we did.

3. Haunted Mansion Holiday -- YEP, and it is awesome with the updates and great gingerbread house

4. Meet Jack Skellington. Anyone know if they post meeting times? -- Met Jack AND Sally. A long wait but worth it

5. Take pictures together -- especially on the treehouse steps (see page 10 of this TR if you're uncertain why) -- Got the treehouse photo, not too many of us together but several selfies. I need to get better at handing my camera off

6. Innoventions Iron Man exhibit -- if it's still open -- Saw it but it was just so-so

7. Grizzly River Rapids. I have never been on this because DH hates raft rides! -- Too cold and gray that day to chance it -- UNDONE

8. Eat a Dole Whip! -- Yes and YUM!

9. Great Moments with Lincoln -- haven't seen it since I was a kid -- Saw it last thing of the night and even stayed awake

10. Mickey and the Magical Map show -- Enjoyed seeing this new production!

11. Princess Fantasy Faire -- look around, maybe see one of the shows -- Never made it into there -- UNDONE

12. Star Tours -- I MUST get to Naboo at least once -- Rode three times that day but still never made it to Naboo -- UNDONE

13. See Carsland neon lighting ceremony -- Missed it due to CM ignorance :mad:and my impatience -- UNDONE

14. Ride Radiator Springs Racers at night -- Whee!! It was awesome!

15. Eat at Flo's -- Didn't sit down for any real meals -- UNDONE

16. Snack on everything we can!!!!! -- Churros, Ghirardelli, Dole Whip, corn dog, pumpkin cheesecake, gingerbread cookie.

I guess it didn't make it onto my bucket list but I had hoped to see the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree -- it closed early that day so it was undone.

So not too bad!:thumbsup2 We also rode several other rides and saw Fantasmic that night. I feel like it was a successful trip to have that many things turn our the way I had OCD-hoped.

Tomorrow -- what's next for PHXscuba?? Hint: "She's making a list, checking it twice ... " :rolleyes1

PHXscuba

December will sneak up on you before you know it! Less than 57 days to the end of the year. Gosh, I still have trouble with 2013 and soon it will be 2014. I never seem to write the right year.

Have a great time this holiday. Pictures will be expected! :lmao:

You did a great job getting to the bucket list. With your AP, you can always say the next time.

Breaking NEWS:

I get to go to Disneyland for the day in December!! Only 33 days away!! :) I will be there Monday Dec. 9 and get another day to work on my AP bucket list!

I will be there the same time as several DISers and hope I meet up with a few.

If you've followed along, you know how much I LOVE Christmas and LOVE Disneyland), so you can imagine my glee at getting a chance to go again.

I will update in a couple days with my "Christmas bucket list" but I think I'll change the title of my TR: "PHXscuba's December trip: Makin' a (AP bucket) list, checkin' it twice!" :santa:

I don't know if I'll have time to do a formal TR afterward, or just share a few highlights and photos. It really depends on how busy I am at that point, especially if I want it done before the holidays are over.

PHXscuba

Breaking NEWS:

I get to go to Disneyland for the day in December!! Only 33 days away!! :) I will be there Monday Dec. 9 and get another day to work on my AP bucket list!

If you've followed along, you know how much I LOVE Christmas and LOVE Disneyland), so you can imagine my glee at getting a chance to go again.

I will update in a couple days with my "Christmas bucket list" but I think I'll change the title of my TR: "PHXscuba's December trip: Makin' a (AP bucket) list, checkin' it twice!" :santa:

I don't know if I'll have time to do a formal TR afterward, or just share a few highlights and photos. It really depends on how busy I am at that point, especially if I want it done before the holidays are over.

PHXscuba

How wonderful!

Well, since Laurie already said in this TR, "Looking forward to meeting you in December!!"...I think it's safe to guess who one of those DIS'ers will be!;);)

Well, since Laurie already said in this TR, "Looking forward to meeting you in December!!"...I think it's safe to guess who one of those DIS'ers will be!;);)

Well how can I go to Disneyland during our favorite season and NOT meet the famous Sherry E? :wave2: Glad the dates worked that way!

I am trying to focus on the crazy next couple weeks but in my mind it's already December!

PHXscuba

p.s. And when are you going to start your new TR?! Looking forward to reading it!

Well how can I go to Disneyland during our favorite season and NOT meet the famous Sherry E? :wave2: Glad the dates worked that way!

I am trying to focus on the crazy next couple weeks but in my mind it's already December!

PHXscuba

p.s. And when are you going to start your new TR?! Looking forward to reading it!

I don't know. I have too many things to do. Keeping up with the Christmas Superthread is more urgent and pressing at the moment than a TR, because there will be an onslaught of news and info coming at us big time starting next week, I think. Also, it's a lot of work to start another TR and keep it going.

Also, I have to write a blog for Unplugged, among many other things I have to do. Too much to do, and not enough time.

Right now, the big discussion of the day seems to be "why is the Wintertime Holiday lighting only showing for certain dates in December, prior to December 13th?" Some folks seem to think that it means the Castle lighting is suddenly going to only happen on weekends in December, and then after December 13th it will happen nightly. If so, that is crazy talk on DLR's part. When have they ever just had the lighting of the Castle on weekends in December? It's been happening nightly for years. If they are limiting the actual lighting "ceremony" to just weekends, I certainly hope the Castle is lit up in icicles all night!

I tend to think that the calendar just hasn't been fully filled in yet -- unless Disney is planning on springing some other event on us that would interfere with the lighting. I don't think the new little 'show' projected on the facade of IASWH should impact the Castle at all.

Sherry E said:
I don't know. I have too many things to do. Keeping up with the Christmas Superthread is more urgent and pressing at the moment than a TR, because there will be an onslaught of news and info coming at us big time starting next week, I think. Also, it's a lot of work to start another TR and keep it going.

Also, I have to write a blog for Unplugged, among many other things I have to do. Too much to do, and not enough time.

Right now, the big discussion of the day seems to be "why is the Wintertime Holiday lighting only showing for certain dates in December, prior to December 13th?" Some folks seem to think that it means the Castle lighting is suddenly going to only happen on weekends in December, and then after December 13th it will happen nightly. If so, that is crazy talk on DLR's part. When have they ever just had the lighting of the Castle on weekends in December? It's been happening nightly for years. If they are limiting the actual lighting "ceremony" to just weekends, I certainly hope the Castle is lit up in icicles all night!

I tend to think that the calendar just hasn't been fully filled in yet -- unless Disney is planning on springing some other event on us that would interfere with the lighting. I don't think the new little 'show' projected on the facade of IASWH should impact the Castle at all.

I am "Jonesing" forva Sherry trip report mam!!

I hear you. It is work to start and maintain a TR. But at least your down to one Holiday Superthread! And you have practice writing a holiday TR long after -- I forget too much even when I take notes. I'll enjoy when it finally appears!

Ditto!! That teaser in her signature line!

PHXscuba

Thanks, Michele!:goodvibes

I hear you. It is work to start and maintain a TR. But at least your down to one Holiday Superthread! And you have practice writing a holiday TR long after -- I forget too much even when I take notes. I'll enjoy when it finally appears!

Ditto!! That teaser in her signature line!

PHXscuba

Thank you!

Yes, I did one late DLR TR - that was the December 2011 TR - because I got sick for a while in 2012 and then other stuff got in the way. I don't like to wait that long if I can help it but, in reality, no one is going to really be missing out on all that much if I don't do one for a long time! And, really, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important to me that I do one, except to maybe have a record of what happened on a trip. It's not like anyone will miss out on vital info if I can't get the TR finished (or started!:rotfl2:) for a long time.

I have to completely re-work the information on page 1 of the Halloween Superthread (like in the format I used for the current Christmas Superthread), and that will take a very long time -- time which is hard to find right now, as we are getting bombarded with daily bits of info about this year's Christmas/holiday season, and as I have other non-DIS things to do. However, I have to have some of the Halloween info put (logically) together by the time we reach the page limit and start a new thread, and by the time the 2014 group of Halloween visitors starts asking questions. All of the work will be worthwhile in the end, as once it is set up like the info in the Christmas thread is set up it will be easy to build on it and update it. But, in the meantime, it requires a lot of patience,organization, searching for info and being detailed.

So last night I got an email from my mother with a picture attached. The email said, "Guess where I am?" It was a picture of Hollywood Blvd. in DCA! My mommy went to Disneyland without me! :sad::rotfl2: I was happy for her but sad I wasn't there too!

30 days and counting!!

I cannot believe that I will be in Disneyland in only 30 days! This trip is going to sneak up on me. The kids are busy and we have several events lined up for the next few weeks -- DD11 in the spelling bee, DS17's band championship, my brother-in-law and his family coming for Thanksgiving and bringing my cute little nieces.

I am working on the "bucket list" and hope to post it early next week. Happy Veterans' Day to all of you. :flower3:

PHXscuba

I have a handle on most of what I hope to accomplish on my December Disney day. It's not a complete "bucket list," but the start of my organization for the day so I'm not criss-crossing the parks (and the esplanade) every hour!:p

:santa:The December AP bucket list:santa:

1. Get VISA photo in DCA -- I always plan to do this and never go during the peak morning hours. Why can't they run this in the afternoon like they do at Epcot?

2. Ride Grizzly River Run -- Totally weather dependent but I'm still holding out hope

3. Star Tours – Naboo or bust! -- I WILL get there one of these trips!!!

4. It’s A Small World Holiday for sure

5. Christmas shopping -- I want that scarf I didn't buy last time for myself and will probably pick up things for the kids too

6. Jingle Cruise -- new corny jokes!

7. Jingle Jangle Jamboree -- Especially since I missed it during its Halloween incarnation

8. See hotel lobbies -- I think my mother will especially enjoy this since I don't think she really knows how beautifully they are decorated

9. See the holiday projection show on IASW

10. World of Color -- must do the holiday version, especially since Mom and I both really like the regular WoC

11. Eat lots of holiday goodies -- This should really be number one on the list! :rotfl2:

If there's time I could see us doing the HMH again, or a few other rides, but I'm excited to soak in the Christmas spirit. You'll notice I didn't put the Carsland lighting on the list -- while I would love to see it I don't see how I can do it and the IASW show without ending up in the middle of the parade or racing around. And the Carsland lighting will still be there next time.

I talked to my mother about her day at Disneyland last Friday and I guess she poked around DCA most of the day before ending up at Disneyland in time to see the Christmas Fantasy parade. It's probably a good thing I don't live too close to Disneyland or I would do this all the time.

PHXscuba

OK, so I'm realizing the odds of wanting to ride GRR are pretty low in December ... I am planning on getting a locker to store heavier jackets and purchases though.

I think my backup plan to sub out for GRR if it is too chilly will be to try one of the drawing classes at the Animation Academy! I have always wanted to do this but never slowed down for it. And I have NO artistic talent for drawing. And I got that lack of artistic talent from my mother! So if we do that it will be for kicks. We might just eat something instead.

It is gray and cloudy today and the local radio station switched on their Christmas music yesterday. Might be finally starting to "feel" Christmas-y around here. I may even wear socks this weekend! I really don't listen to the radio Christmas music this early. Their song selection is pretty limited and drab, so if I start now I will be sick of it before December. But I did listen to the Grinch song today!

PHXscuba

I was at DLR today. The peppermint ice cream is not being sold in the parks this year.:faint: Dreyer's is to blame for refusing to send the right-sized cartons that DLR needed from them for that flavor. The CM at Clarabelle's said he wrote to Dreyer's to complain and suggested I do the same thing. People are coming in and asking for that ice cream and they have no holiday ice cream to offer anywhere in the parks!:faint: Haagen Dazs doesn't even sell actual peppermint ice cream -- just white ice cream with peppermint bark. So those Peppermint Wonderland cartons just became even more valuable!

The gingerbread zombie cookies are gone and the gingerbread cookies with mouse ears are scarce.

But...there's some cute merchandise and the usual treats. I posted a more detailed recap in the Superthread. Pictures to follow when Photobucket cooperates.

Like your list. I doubt I would like to get wet when it is cool to cold out.

What fun to see the fall and now winter decorations.

Cooler days are here, with days of rain. Thankfully outdoor soccer is almost over. Band concert coming soon. So family is busy. And, because of a good priced TA deal, we are WDW and USO bound this August. When I asked the kids where they wanted to stay, it is Yacht Club and Portofino. What can I say, kids like the good life. And when I said why not the BC, as it is closer to Epcot, they said it had too many kids and they liked the darkness and more adult vibe of the YC. We really like the GC when we stayed this summer.

Hope you are having a good week- end.

I was at DLR today. The peppermint ice cream is not being sold in the parks this year.:faint: Dreyer's is to blame for refusing to send the right-sized cartons that DLR needed from them for that flavor. The CM at Clarabelle's said he wrote to Dreyer's to complain and suggested I do the same thing. People are coming in and asking for that ice cream and they have no holiday ice cream to offer anywhere in the parks!:faint: Haagen Dazs doesn't even sell actual peppermint ice cream -- just white ice cream with peppermint bark. So those Peppermint Wonderland cartons just became even more valuable!

The gingerbread zombie cookies are gone and the gingerbread cookies with mouse ears are scarce.

But...there's some cute merchandise and the usual treats. I posted a more detailed recap in the Superthread. Pictures to follow when Photobucket cooperates.

Looking forward to the photos! And I'm rely glad (as you probably are too) that I've got two cartons of peppermint stashed in my freezer. Guess I'll have to try a bunch of other holiday goodies. Makin' a list ... :rolleyes1

Like your list. I doubt I would like to get wet when it is cool to cold out.

What fun to see the fall and now winter decorations.

Cooler days are here, with days of rain. Thankfully outdoor soccer is almost over. Band concert coming soon. So family is busy. And, because of a good priced TA deal, we are WDW and USO bound this August. When I asked the kids where they wanted to stay, it is Yacht Club and Portofino. What can I say, kids like the good life. And when I said why not the BC, as it is closer to Epcot, they said it had too many kids and they liked the darkness and more adult vibe of the YC. We really like the GC when we stayed this summer.

Hope you are having a good week- end.

Yes, I'm afraid of spoiling my kids if they stay too many nice places too! Do you own DVC? DH has told me more than once that he will take me -- just me -- stay at the GCH someday. Something to look forward to!

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter