Photography Tips

Pegasus928

DIS Veteran
We are going to HHN at Universal and I want to be able to take some decent pics while I am there. We don't have an expensive camera - it's a fine-pix I think that we bought last Christmas but it is still quite a good one.
Obviously a lot of what I want to photograph around the park will be at night and in the past when I have tried I always end up either using the flash, which totally destroys the atmosphere, or not using the flash and having blurred pics.
Has anyone found a good setting on their camera that has produced good results, or could maybe offer some tips to getting god night time shots?

I would suggest that you pop over to the photgraphy section, they should be able to help you.
You will need to tell them a little more about your camera

You won't get good hand-held night-time shots. You need a long shutter speed to let in enough light and you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough to prevent blur. Mini-tripods work well if you can find something tall enough (such as a bin) to rest it on. You'll then need to experiment with shutter speeds - too fast and the picture will be dark, too slow and it'll be flooded with light. If you don't have that ability with your camera, you could try night-time setting, although that usually forces the flash on.

you need to have a look through the manual to see just what settings you can vary for yourself.
It makes a difference just how many things you can select. for example if you can select a high ISO then it will reduce the shutter speed you need, this will result in a less blurry image but it will be grainy, that's the trade off I'm afraid. A tripod is the best answer but a monopod will do the job and is far less bulky to carry around the park.
Also try to take the pictures using the self timer or a remote as just the pressure of pressing the button will move the camera and blur the shot.
Hope this helps a little

All of these were taken using a tripod and remote.

Aperture: f/6.3, ISO: 200, shutter speed: 4 seconds

IMG_8745.jpg

Aperture: f/6.3, ISO: 200, shutter speed: 20 seconds (see how much more light is in this shot)

IMG_8762.jpg

Aperture: f/7.1, ISO: 100, shutter speed: 25 seconds

IMG_9057.jpg

Aperture: f/7.1, ISO: 100, shutter speed: 20 seconds

IMG_9033a.jpg

Aperture: f/7.1, ISO: 100, shutter speed: 4 seconds. This one needed some post-editing to bring out the detail in the left-hand area.

IMG_9038.jpg

I would suggest that you pop over to the photgraphy section, they should be able to help you.
You will need to tell them a little more about your camera

There's a photography section? Oops - I really need to have more of a look round the site I guess - rather than sticking to the UK part. Thanks - I will have a look :thumbsup2

You won't get good hand-held night-time shots. You need a long shutter speed to let in enough light and you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough to prevent blur. Mini-tripods work well if you can find something tall enough (such as a bin) to rest it on. You'll then need to experiment with shutter speeds - too fast and the picture will be dark, too slow and it'll be flooded with light. If you don't have that ability with your camera, you could try night-time setting, although that usually forces the flash on.

I was looking at a mini tripod the other day and was surprised how cheap they are for what looked like good quality. I may well invest in one just to stick in the 'Theme Park Bag'. Looks like I will have to practice before we leave as well - just to give me an idea of what might work.

you need to have a look through the manual to see just what settings you can vary for yourself.
It makes a difference just how many things you can select. for example if you can select a high ISO then it will reduce the shutter speed you need, this will result in a less blurry image but it will be grainy, that's the trade off I'm afraid. A tripod is the best answer but a monopod will do the job and is far less bulky to carry around the park.
Also try to take the pictures using the self timer or a remote as just the pressure of pressing the button will move the camera and blur the shot.
Hope this helps a little

What's a monopod (OK that sounds like a daft question - but it is a genuine one none the less :))
I aso hadn't thought about the button press causing much movement - so again I will practice with the timer and see how it works out. :thumbsup2
And you just had to mention the manual didn't you. DW will love you now as she is always on at me for not reading the manuals or instructions that come with gadgets - or with anything for that matter :goodvibes

Thanks for advice folks :thumbsup2

Just a quick suggestion, a gorrilapod is an excellent tripod but can also wrap round poles or branches and handle uneven surfaces. Amazon sell them, highly recommend it.

I would be happy if my shots turned out like any of the ones you have posted UKDeb.
I will read the manual and see if I can change any of the settings, such as the shutter speed.
Thanks for the examples.

I will also look into the Gorillapd as it sounds like a handy piece of kit to have. :thumbsup2

A Monopod is really just a one legged tripod it's like having a telescopic walking stick with you.
PS Very nice shots Debs

Just a quick suggestion, a gorrilapod is an excellent tripod but can also wrap round poles or branches and handle uneven surfaces. Amazon sell them, highly recommend it.

Just had a look at this and have stuck a couple in our watch list on ebay. Seems a reasonable price for what looks like a handy thing to have.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am guessing Deb's photos were taken with a DSLR, they really do make a difference especially with the night shots. My bf bought a Nikon D40 last year and used it for most of last year's holiday but mostly on the auto setting which he's shying away from now as he learns more. He read quite a few photography books from the library and found Scott Kelby's 'The Digital Photography Book' series particularly helpful :)
I have a GorillaPod for my compact camera but to be honest i've never actually used it... It's been on 2 holidays so far and I know others swear by them but I tend to snap away spur of the moment rather than take time to compose shots so possibly i'm not their target customer! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter