Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

_DSC3255ed-XL.jpg

Hi Adam,

Yes, the photography board has unfortunately dwindled, although we have a relative new comer to Sony @klmall (Kathy) to thank for keeping this forum active.

I've taken my A7r2 twice to WDW and haven't really had an issue with shooting dark rides and your A7r3 has better focus. I personally appreciate the higher resolution and DR.

The bigger question is what lenses? I used the 24mm 1.4 GM, the SZ 55mm 1.8, the 85mm 1.8 and also brought along the 105mm 1.4 Sigma, Laowa 15mm 2.0, and my Rokinon 8mm fisheye just because it's so much fun.

Hope all is well - are you still writing a blog?

I'll get back to the blog eventually. My time just has gotten filled up lately.

I go back and forth between the A7r3 and A9 for this next trip. I usually vacation with the A7r3, especially as my vacations are often landscape heavy.
Reasons I'm still leaning towards the A9 this time around: 24mp is really enough, and with potentially thousands of images, it's nice to have the smaller files. The superior focus and speed could create some fun chances, like shooting a roller coaster POV at 20 fps.
But yes, there are times when the 42mp of the A7r3 and the slightly superior dynamic range are nice. I will do some landscapes for sure where it will be nice. And a little extra cropping with the 42mp.....

Ok, I really am torn.

My lenses:
12-24/4 -- probably, my favorite travel lens.
20/1.8 -- Just got it. Will definitely bring it. At 1.8, can really open up some handheld night shooting. But do I need the 12-24 and the 20/1.8? Not sure.
55/1.8 -- as mid range walk-around, almost definitely bringing
135/1.8 -- a bit heavy. But could be interesting to carry a couple of days and it really produces amazing images.
Sigma 100-400 -- Just purchased used. Thinking of it specifically for Animal Kingdom. Is it worth bringing just for the 1 park? If I do bring it, do I also bring the 135/1.8? Not sure.

So a maximum of 5 lenses. Might cut it down to 3 or 4. Not sure whether I'll bring a flash.

Anyway, the 20/1.8:

DSC06510_LuminarAI-edit.jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

@havoc315

Also just bought the 20mm 1.8 - haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

Food for thought - if you go with the A7R3, the 135mm + cropping ability should be just fine for AK.

If A9 - then bring the Sigma zoom.

@havoc315

Also just bought the 20mm 1.8 - haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

Food for thought - if you go with the A7R3, the 135mm + cropping ability should be just fine for AK.

If A9 - then bring the Sigma zoom.

135mm with the cropping still doesn't give me better than about 200mm, maybe 250-300mm as long as I'm not printing. So even with the A7r3, I'd probably go with the Sigma. I haven't received it yet, I need to get a feel for the weight before I decide.

Wow - you're right - it's been quiet here. I forgot to post - of course, having visited Disney World in Feb 2020, just before the lockdowns, and then not getting a chance to get back until July 2021 - the longest gap I've ever gone since 1971 between visits to a Disney park...I sort of neglected these boards - I tried through April of this year posting some of my wildlife catch-up work here, but then even forgot to do that.

Anyway - here are a few Disney World photos since getting back to the parks - from July and September 2021 - both times it was so hot and humid, and with the crowds surging back, and in September having to deal with putting masks on and off every time you walk inside, I ended up just bringing my A6600 and 18-135mm lens only - no bags or extra lenses, no tripods, etc. I did bring the 10-18mm to Magic Kingdom one day in September, but was content to walk around light with just my camera around my neck:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter