PhD -- do you use the title Dr?

The use of professional certifications after their name on signatures and business cards are also kind of silly. I’ve seen one person’s business card with probably a dozen letters after their name.
In my field I rarely see anyone list a Ph.d on a business card. I've worked in offices with a lot of them, and in some ways it's considered something where it might be considered being overeducated. But in some cases it's the guys with Ph.ds who end up in management.

It might be something that gets people more attention when applying for certain jobs, but it's not necessarily something that's apparent to most people.

I used to work with a couple of phD’s but I had no idea they even had doctorates until I connected with them on linked in, where they had it listed on their profile. At work everyone is on a first name basis so titles aren’t even used.
In my experience, the dr. title is used in academia. Many of our school & district admins have PhDs and we call them Dr. Lastname. In college most preferred Professor Lastname versus Dr. Lastname.

Why is it show-boaty for her, but not for the podiatrist down the street? I would hope friends of Jill, or friends of the podiatrist, call them by their first name. But in a situation where you would call some Mr/Mrs/Captain/Reverend/whatever, then why would it be less appropriate to call someone Dr. than Mrs.?

What, exactly, are people arguing against? Are they saying that a woman who was an EdD (or a PhD or DEng or whatever....) should select "Mrs." on the drop down menu instead of Dr.? Because that's some serious sexist horse puckey there. (Because no, I don't believe they would suggest that for men.)
I never said it wouldn't be showboat-y for other non-medical doctors. The same could also be said for dentists - they go by Doctor, but are they going by "Dr" when booking an airline ticket, or filling out a Costco membership, or when they receive a wedding invitation from a friend or niece? If yes, then for what purpose? There's not anything wrong with it per se, but I can see where it would strike people as unnecessary.

Also, I don't agree on the sexism aspect (and I say that as a woman). While the argument against Jill Biden may not have surfaced on Twitter if she was male, the concept in the general sense and the relevancy aspect would apply whether the person was male or female.

Or are they saying that if someone moves in next door, they should introduce themselves to their neighbors as Jill and Joe instead of Dr. Smith or whatever? Because sure... anyone who introduces themselves to their neighbors, or to people at a party or something, as Dr. Soandso - regardless of the degree - is showboat-y, to say the least.
When I said "showboat-y", this was a scenario I was envisioning. If someone is going to use a Doctor title in a capacity or scenario where its irrelevant like these, it serves no purpose.

The MBA after a name is more silly in my opinion. It’s only 2 years of school, and nowhere close to the intensity of med school.

The use of professional certifications after their name on signatures and business cards are also kind of silly. I’ve seen one person’s business card with probably a dozen letters after their name.

I had a friend who was an MD who also used MBA (and another degree that I can't recall) in all of her signatures. I thought it was a bit odd, but I guess she wanted people to be aware that she was business minded/an entrepreneur in addition to being a physician.

My husband and I both work in the medical field, so it's the norm for people to use their degrees/certifications in their signatures. I'm non-medical so mine includes my job title but no degree since it's irrelevant. But my husband is required to use all degree/certification initials for his work correspondence and it's even on his badge (large academic hospital system).

In today's world, you cannot become a pharmacist without your doctorate (anywhere from a 6 to 7 year program) and it is not a program where anyone can just be pushed through to get their doctorate. Pharmacists from years past are grandfathered into the system.

The sexism aspect is very real and backed by research that shows a significant difference in how people are introduced depending on if they are a man or a woman.
Ok. For me, and probably others here, we're not considering whether a person is a male or female. We're considering their degree, profession, and capacity in which they are using the title. Gender wouldn't occur to me.

I've never heard of someone with a juris doctor degree being referred to as "Dr". I have a family of lawyers, and that's never come up. Similarly, the designation "Esq" should be reserved for lawyers acting in a legal capacity. If you have a law degree, but are working somewhere in a non-legal capacity, it would be inappropriate to use "Esq" at the end of your name in emails or signatures. But, this is the only etiquette thing I'd consider when it comes to these titles. I've always referred to those who hold PhD's as "Dr", but I do agree it can easily be misconstrued as a medical doctor.
That may work in American English although it could look very strange to others if appended to a female lawyer's name.
In British English, Esquire or its abbreviation Esq is very widely used as an unofficial title of respect, having no precise significance, sometimes placed, especially in its abbreviated form, after a man's surname in formal written address.

ford family

The sexism aspect is very real and backed by research that shows a significant difference in how people are introduced depending on if they are a man or a woman.
Ok. For me, and probably others here, we're not considering whether a person is a male or female. We're considering their degree, profession, and capacity in which they are using the title. Gender wouldn't occur to me.

Until our oldest daughter was pursuing her degree(s) in the realm of STEM sciences I had no idea just how far we haven't come in women being both represented in and respected in several STEM fields. I know for a fact it is such an extreme problem in one discipline that there have been articles published in the professional journals in that field regarding the bias and the disparities women face. Our daughter recognized that obtaining her doctorate in that discipline would have meant she was signing on to a career of being marginalized and in the shadows with as much agency and respect as if she were still an undergraduate student. I was honestly shocked that some areas of study are still so openly backward in gender politics.

The lab she worked in while obtaining her undergraduate degree sent her on multiple trips and had her cover many presentations for the research teams as a means to do some PR and make a statement about their program addressing the issue. Her bosses were devastated when she departed the field and elected to move her career into a different direction when she decided it wasn't worth the continual personal struggle to spend that much of her career bogged down with those aspects instead of being able to focus her energies where her talents could be used on productive research.

My daughter has a doctorate in physical therapy.
I've never heard her or her colleagues address each other of themselves as "Dr".
That's because a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) is not the same as a PhD. A DPT is a professional degree and the holder of a DPT does not generally use the honorific "Doctor". It's a lot of work and your DD and her colleagues should be proud of their accomplishments but they are right in not addressing each other as "Doctor". FWIW, my daughter plans to get her OTD (Doctorate in Occupational Therapy) which is also a professional degree.

You aren't. Many other people do. That is the problem.
Yup. I know many female attorneys who are asked to handle administrative tasks like scheduling meetings or distributing minutes because they are “just better at it.” Even when they are at the partner level. And if they push back they are difficult. Or female attorneys who people assume are the court reporter because they are the only woman in the court room.

No, IMO anyone who holds a doctorate degree has earned the right to use the title as they see fit. Though in my experience, most only do so in a professional context. DS is currently a PhD student in a STEM field, and I fully respect the hard work and dedication one must achieve to get that degree.

Incidentally, many teachers and other educators such as administrators have a Doctor of Education (EdD), rather than a PhD, which is what Jill Biden has. When I was in HS, we had a few teachers and principals who were called Dr. Lastname, that I suspect were EdDs. However, in college, where the majority of faculty had PhDs, most were addressed by students as Professor Lastname.

It’s not? I know several lawyers who would disagree. While technically there are research-based law degrees that are “higher”, for all intents and purposes, a JD is considered a terminal degree for those practicing law. I agree that they typically don’t use the title of Doctor.

Would you consider an Associates the terminal degree simply because many people decide to stop there? And would you call them Doctor? Why not? Well for the same reason, we don't call those with a J.D. Doctor. You gave the answer why yourself. There are research based Law degrees that are higher. In the court room neither the judge, nor the attorneys are referred to as Dr. So they don't even refer to each other as such. In any case, some media person who received his BA in absentia and a doctorate of humane letters (honorary) shouldn't be slamming an EdD who actually did the work for her doctorate using the term "Doctor." He's a piece of work by the way. He once said that feminists were "(edited) on bikes" The part I edited was a slur. He has also used the N word in his writings. Of course and then he'll loudly complain he's being cancelled and get his 15 minutes of fame on the bigot bucks martyr circuit.

I work in an environment where there are both physicians and educators. The educators with PhDs are far more demanding about being referred to as "Doctor" than the physicians. It's obnoxious and the power play is downright embarrassing.

I have one co-worker that insists everyone (including the actual physicians) call her Dr., even during informal situations. Her degree is in political science.

Could it be because there is acceptance for calling physicians "Doctor" but there's still the resistance of giving respect to people with doctorates in other fields?

Words change meaning over time. I believe the majority of people think of medical doctor first when someone is introduced as doctor despite the initial meaning of the word.

I think there will come a time where non medical doctors will get a new title and Dr will be reserved for medical doctors.

There is an available title for medical doctors - physician.

You know the more I think of it - if there was ever a time not to use moniker, now would be that time. The nurses and doctors that I work with have contributed so much right now that I’d be a no for 2020 at least.

How about my daughter doing the work right now in cancer research? She's working on her doctorate in Bioinformatics, has presented her research in melanoma, pancreatic cancer, and other such topics around the world. She's not studying to be a medical doctor, but she has certainly contributed in the field of medicine, and will continue to do so after she earns that doctorate. I'll have no problem calling her Doc.

I work with a ton of PhDs and in their professional bios they usually say “Name, PhD. is a (job title) Mr./Ms. Name is responsible for (job duties)” I’m not sure why they don’t go by the title Dr. but having gotten used to them using Mr. or Ms., now it seems pretentious to think about calling them Dr.

HOWEVER, that op-ed about Jill Biden which also addressed her as “kiddo” was completely inappropriate.

There is an available title for medical doctors - physician.

I am saying outside of academia when someone is introduced as a Doctor the average person is going to assume medical.

Despite the title of Doctor starting out in academia long ago, there has already been a partial semantic change.

I don't think it is far fetched that some time from now, could be hundreds of years, that Doctor is reserved for medical doctors and academic Doctors go by a different title.

Language changes and evolves in strange ways.

Spinster used to simply refer to the occupation.

I am saying outside of academia when someone is introduced as a Doctor the average person is going to assume medical.

Despite the title of Doctor starting out in academia long ago, there has already been a partial semantic change.

I don't think it is far fetched that some time from now, could be hundreds of years, that Doctor is reserved for medical doctors and academic Doctors go by a different title.

Language changes and evolves in strange ways.

Spinster used to simply refer to the occupation.

Spinster occupation - what was that exactly?

The rest of the above answer is just floof. Perhaps in the next hundred years or so, people will become better educated and understand that there are all kinds of doctors, and that if they are sick they could see a physician?

Could it be because there is acceptance for calling physicians "Doctor" but there's still the resistance of giving respect to people with doctorates in other fields?
This.

I mean, just look at this thread, as you pointed out. Quite a few have already expressed that non-medical doctors shouldn’t use “Dr.”

And while posters here say that they believe this regardless of the person’s identity... large scale surveys have certainly shown the opposite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter