• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, we're told that flu is not prolific this year because of masks and social distancing. If that is true, then maybe we could have prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths over the years. But, we didn't.

EDIT: *Removed because someone answered to this even better than I did.*

Last edited:
I think there is a razor edge line with this. Masks and sanitizer are definitely are helping now, but if we continue to suppress our immune systems we may ending being sick more often.
(...)

I believe things should return to normal as we slowly scale back health measures in the near future. (1) Removing masks, 2) removing social distancing, 3) removing alcohol gels and slowly returning to regular hand washing.) We’ll progressively be in contact with germs and virus. Especially those who travel in public transportation. LOL

Care to share your data? This one presents an entirely different picture:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/21546014/mask-mandates-coronavirus-covid-19

I don’t know where the post you quoted is, but want to back you up with what we see in WI where we have a mask mandate. Our data can be thrown out because there are a lot of areas in the state where masks aren’t enforced and people must not believe in them or wear them. Thankfully I live in an area where we don’t have this issue. So if you compared us to a state without a mandate the data may be similar which proves nothing.

Flu has long-tested vaccines. Flu has treatments. COVID has nothing much. It transmits 4.5 times more than the flu does. It was also responsible for nearly 400,000 excess deaths in the US alone in 2020.

Anyone justifying being reckless with COVID based on how they handled the flu either doesn't do much reading - or would also jump from the second floor of their apartment because they were able to jump into the pool last time.

Respectfully, would you please discuss your roadtrip report to a new thread? I recommend the community or TR forums. You will also gain a much bigger audience - and not just a bunch of science nuts and those obsessed with cruising.
No one is staying on topic. It’s turned into a mask debate.

I don’t know where the post you quoted is, but want to back you up with what we see in WI where we have a mask mandate. Our data can be thrown out because there are a lot of areas in the state where masks aren’t enforced and people must not believe in them or wear them. Thankfully I live in an area where we don’t have this issue. So if you compared us to a state without a mandate the data may be similar which proves nothing.

This right here. Data like this is pretty much useless because very few people are using masks the way they're supposed to be used: even in states where masks are mandated, most are only wearing them in places where they're required, but then getting together with friends and family unmasked. The latter is where most spread is happening, not in places like grocery stores and Home Depot.

This right here. Data like this is pretty much useless because very few people are using masks the way they're supposed to be used: even in states where masks are mandated, most are only wearing them in places where they're required, but then getting together with friends and family unmasked. The latter is where most spread is happening, not in places like grocery stores and Home Depot.

This is even worse, in parts of the state they don’t even where them in stores. In laws visited Grandma in assisted living mid state, window visit and talked over phone, and went into a grocery store with masks and people young and old weren’t wearing them, even the workers. We know people up north that go to bars and are in leagues. Even one county over a coworker filled up with gas and everyone in the gas station was maskless, she paid at pump. I am surprised how many people don’t wear them, probably because wear we live so many do, including us.

This is why I hope WI gets their act together and does better getting the vaccine rolled out.

I would be shocked if all cruise lines did not require their crew to be vaccinated, and would expect that they will even provide it, once the supply allows.

I would hope whether or not they require it they would be able to provide it for those who want it, free of charge. Does anyone know how they currently handle vaccinations in regards to crew? Is there the option for all to have the flu vaccine for example..? I've never thought much about it but my work has a couple of days a year where our insurance sends over a few doctors to provide it to anyone who wants one. The company wins because then its less likely to tear through the office, we win because its one less stop to make during our off hours. :thumbsup2

I’m hoping J&J vaccine will show at least 70% effectiveness. I’ve read that it’s better to vaccinate more people with a 70% vaccine than less people with a higher effective vaccine. JJ’s single dose vaccine could be a game changer for the travel industry.

I’m hoping J&J vaccine will show at least 70% effectiveness. I’ve read that it’s better to vaccinate more people with a 70% vaccine than less people with a higher effective vaccine. JJ’s single dose vaccine could be a game changer for the travel industry.

For everything. Its one dose, you don't have to get people to go back and its more similar to other vaccines we get so many are already more comfortable with that idea then the new mRna vaccines. It will also be better for low income areas and homeless population since one and done.

For everything. Its one dose, you don't have to get people to go back and its more similar to other vaccines we get so many are already more comfortable with that idea then the new mRna vaccines. It will also be better for low income areas and homeless population since one and done.

If there is the availability of both and the world was perfect I would prefer they be given the more effective vaccine because the homeless especially would be at higher risk for exposure. The tough part as you say though is many would likely not get the second dose so the J&J may be the only option for them. I don't think there are any good answers and realistically if enough people get vaccinated which one is better is a non issue.

If there is the availability of both and the world was perfect I would prefer they be given the more effective vaccine because the homeless especially would be at higher risk for exposure. The tough part as you say though is many would likely not get the second dose so the J&J may be the only option for them. I don't think there are any good answers and realistically if enough people get vaccinated which one is better is a non issue.

Covid isn't going away , but getting it to levels that don't strain hospitals or risk doing that is really the best we will get anytime soon. Have to learn to live normal life with it, just like every other disease out there and just like humans have done since the beginning of time.

Covid isn't going away , but getting it to levels that don't strain hospitals or risk doing that is really the best we will get anytime soon. Have to learn to live normal life with it, just like every other disease out there and just like humans have done since the beginning of time.

Totally agree. I think you misunderstood. The homeless population may be one of the most at risk now because of the life situation that they are in. The perfect world thought was to get them the best protection possible, but as you pointed out the less effective one and done is going to be better solution for them.

As for Covid, it will likely be the flu in the next x years and be included in our annual flu shots. The continued hope is that as it mutates it weakens and it is too early to tell if that is happening.

This isn't Sars that just disappeared.

Totally agree. I think you misunderstood. The homeless population may be one of the most at risk now because of the life situation that they are in. The perfect world thought was to get them the best protection possible, but as you pointed out the less effective one and done is going to be better solution for them.

As for Covid, it will likely be the flu in the next x years and be included in our annual flu shots. The continued hope is that as it mutates it weakens and it is too early to tell if that is happening.

This isn't Sars that just disappeared.

homeless population is at risk but also hasn’t seemed to prove to be a huge issue with it either. In the end a one dose one in most communities will be better especially if it has less side effects then the current.

Some good news...Pfizer says it will deliver 200M doses to US by end of May, 2 months ahead of its original July 31 date. Also, along with its partner Biotech, expected to deliver 2 BILLION doses worldwide in 2021. It also says they are working on a booster shot that would address any variants that the current vaccine doesn't pick up. Bloomberg article

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter