Petmeds.com

Snowysmom

<font color=darkorchid>If they say "That's interes
Has anyone used Petmeds.com to get their pet's heartworm medication? My vet only offers a pill that my dog will not have anything to do with. She can smell it in meat, cheese, anything. In the past I have used Heartguard chewables for her with success but my vet discontinued it because of cost. Petmeds has it but I want to make sure they are reliable and not a scam. If any one has used them, please let me know about your experience.

Thanks,
Candy

We've used them too, much cheaper then the Vets prices. I would use them again if I needed any long term meds for my dogs. Once they even called to see if I was low on medicine and it turns out I was, (50 pills-once a day, will only last 50 days). They asked if I wanted express service for the meds and I said no that reg. delivery would be fine, I still received it in 2 days.

I use petmeds for my dogs heartworm pills. However, what I have learned is that the manufacturer does not guarantee the med. So if you are getting the dog heartworm pills, and your dog gets heartworm, they will not pay the vet bills for any treatment that they need. I called Novartis, the maker of the pill my dog takes and thats what the told me. The reason: because they are not giving petmeds permission to sell the med. (for the lower cost...it just has to do with the money not the medication iitself).
I still use petmeds, its cheaper than my vets.

Denise

Originally posted by Dixielady908
I use petmeds for my dogs heartworm pills. However, what I have learned is that the manufacturer does not guarantee the med. So if you are getting the dog heartworm pills, and your dog gets heartworm, they will not pay the vet bills for any treatment that they need. I called Novartis, the maker of the pill my dog takes and thats what the told me. The reason: because they are not giving petmeds permission to sell the med. (for the lower cost...it just has to do with the money not the medication iitself).
I still use petmeds, its cheaper than my vets.

Denise

I did not think anyone is guaranteeing that heartworm medication will work regardless of where you buy it. Am I wrong?!?

Peggy

What I understand from Novartis...if you buy from your vet, and the dog does come down with heartworm, they will pay for the treatment the dog needs. If you buy from petmeds they wont. Just passing on what was told to be my Novartis.

Denise

Originally posted by Dixielady908
What I understand from Novartis...if you buy from your vet, and the dog does come down with heartworm, they will pay for the treatment the dog needs. If you buy from petmeds they wont. Just passing on what was told to be my Novartis.

Denise

That is exactly right.

These drug companies are not authorizing these companies to sell their products, which should make you wonder what under-handed methods they are using to acquire them. That in itself should be enough to keep you from using them. Same goes for pet stores who sell Advantage, Frontline, etc. The companies do not sell these products to these stores.

And-- if you research you will find that a lot of these companies are actually the same company that has changed its name due to losing its pharmacy license due to breaking the pharm laws.

Don't even start me on how they directly cause increases in the cost of your veterinary visits.

We tried to use Pet Meds once, but when Pet Meds called our vet to verify the prescription (Revolution), the vet called us and offered to match Pet Meds's price. Now, the vet will always match whatever Pet Meds is selling it for, if we ask. Just a heads up, may be worth asking your vet about. :)

Hey DocRafiki...don't they get some of these meds from Australia?
I think that is what my boss said.

Our prices are most of the time right on line with Pet meds.
The one problem we have with them is that some people we have not seen for years. Then they get in touch with Petmeds and want HW preventative.

You cannot do that! You need to make sure the dog does not have HW first. I can't tell you how many people start out yelling at me on the phone, then by the time I am done explaining it, thank me.

Lisajl

Thanks for the responses about petmeds. I have been hesitant to use them. I will try to find a way to get my stubborn westie to take the medication without a fight or maybe I can convince my vet to get the heartguard treats once again. I love terriers but they can be so stubborn and single minded! Thanks.

Candy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter