Petition: 'Make Plus-Size Princesses In Disney Movies!'

Whatever for?? To give the impression that being overweight is the norm and no big deal. I would think it would be a terrible thing to let this be the impression our little girls grow up with. :confused3 A barbie body? No! But healthy weights should always be the emphasis for all of us. I would never give a child an overweight doll. By no means would I ever want to demean a child that was overweight, but encouraging it by showing it's totally accepted is another story.

I agree!

and no more talking animals... because those are not accurate representations either.

I get the idea, and I think the concept is noble.... but focused in the wrong direction. Rather than asking a fantasy cartoon to conform to real life... personally I think we need to focus on our definitions of beauty in the real world... stop worshiping and promoting the real life anorexic actresses and models as ideal... how about stopping the fat shaming of real world actresses when they have had a baby and have not magically gone back to a size 2 a week after giving birth? Use the power of your wallet and don't buy magazines that promote unhealthy bodies or unrealistic expectations.

Because when it comes to my 12 year old DD and her self esteem.... I am a lot more worried about the supposedly real life models who have been photoshopped into a thinness that they don't even have.... than I am about a cartoon female with a tiny waist and huge head having a conversation with a squirrel.

How about a different angle?

Someone earlier mentioned disfiguring health problems. I am very sorry for anyone who must suffer both with the health issues and with perception issues of others.

This may be a very small portion of the population, but acceptance of those that are different is important for our children to learn.

While we don't need a different princess for every different shape, size, and health issue out there, how about some positive side characters? And I am not talking about the nice overweight sidekick which is so over used. Disney always works in a helpful pleasant animal and/or sidekick.

Why couldn't Disney throw in a character in the story that helps the princess and is different? What if along the way Rapunzel is helped at a key point by a girl on crutches, or blind, or deaf? Or Anna is pointed in the right direction and given encouragement on her quest by a loyal young subject - a girl with a misshapen arm, leg, back or something. Just seconds on screen along the way and a small place at the conclusion. A heartfelt thank you and hug from the princess. Think of the positive image this would portray and the positive press it would generate.

Think what that would do! A child with a disability suddenly sees someone like herself helping the princess! All the other kids see someone that is "different" in a positive light! And maybe kids would embrace the doll and figure in the play set.

Yes it is fantasy, but everyone is raving about Frozen because the fantasy has a great message in real life! I don't think anyone should force Disney to do anything, but what if? It couldn't hurt to add the character.

and no more talking animals... because those are not accurate representations either.

I get the idea, and I think the concept is noble.... but focused in the wrong direction. Rather than asking a fantasy cartoon to conform to real life... personally I think we need to focus on our definitions of beauty in the real world... stop worshiping and promoting the real life anorexic actresses and models as ideal... how about stopping the fat shaming of real world actresses when they have had a baby and have not magically gone back to a size 2 a week after giving birth? Use the power of your wallet and don't buy magazines that promote unhealthy bodies or unrealistic expectations.

Because when it comes to my 12 year old DD and her self esteem.... I am a lot more worried about the supposedly real life models who have been photoshopped into a thinness that they don't even have.... than I am about a cartoon female with a tiny waist and huge head having a conversation with a squirrel.

Well said, couldn't agree more with your perspective. :smickey:

A project like this is a nightmare for a movie studio, Disney more so than anyone else. The very same advocacy groups that like to demand such productions are so hypersensitive to how they are portrayed that they crush the creativity right out of the process in development (without necessarily showing up to support the movie when it's done). I was surprised that The Princess and the Frog ever made it out of early production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog#Early_development

Tim, I think that The Hunchback of Notre Dame hit many of the themes you're describing, but it had it's problems as well, even though it came about long before our current age of hypersensitivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunchback_of_Notre_Dame_(1996_film)#Production_troubles

What is actually being asked for is not on a level that disney or any media can change-- a re wiring of peoples brains to no longer desire the most fit and dominant physiques. This is engrained into our sub conscious by the creating powers that be to help generate the species in the most productive way. The females are drawn to the most dominant males for protection and provision, and the males are drawn to the most fit or able bodied females for successful child bearing. Can't change it.

But just what is the most fit physique? I'm not so sure that media can't change the response to that question. Societies change their opinion as to what is attractive. Consider the Renaissance, when corpulence was preferred. While it can be debated whether people actually preferred obesity or they just saw that food must be readily accessible to such a person, the fact is that it was ingrained in that society to persue the chubby as well as personal weight gain. Yet opinion changed toward the thin. Why? Genetic override? Or societal discretion?

I believe that if all the media constantly pushed plus-sizes as being the way to go, culture would eventually cave in and concur, especially with the obesity levels we already now have. People believe way too much what's in the media. Kinda like what they hear from Disney bus drivers.

I personally believe part of what people find physically attractive in another person is pure biology, as you point out, but it's also what they've been taught to look for.

With that said, I agree with the consensus here. Girls don't need to be taught that it's no big deal to be overweight. It is a big deal -- for health reasons. I won't belabor the argument, I'd just be reiterating what others have already said. I can appreciate what the girl is attempting, but it's not the solution to the problem.

With that said, I agree with the consensus here. Girls don't need to be taught that it's no big deal to be overweight. It is a big deal -- for health reasons. I won't belabor the argument, I'd just be reiterating what others have already said. I can appreciate what the girl is attempting, but it's not the solution to the problem.

Are you kidding me???? Having a plus sized princess is not automatically saying it's ok to be overweight. But I would bet my pooh sized hiney ,hundreds of thousands of chubby girls would be thrilled with a plus sized role model, if only to relate to them. That yes, they are worthy, they are beautiful no matter what size they are. Sorry, but fat girls need to be told this. They're not, and I think it would be lovely for disney to do so. Having a plus sized princess doesn't mean disney is going to portray her sitting on the couch eating donuts for crying out loud. Geez people...

Bottom line? We need to accept people for who they are no matter what their size. It's not happening! Fat shaming is rampant. Most people that are plus sized, KNOW they are plus sized, and KNOW how they got there. They're not stupid. I bet you 90% eat for comfort, eat to void the pain of not being accepted, or troubles in their life. Read up on sugar addiction. It's just as bad as any drug out there.

I personally think if other people would stop being so judgemental of plus sized people? It would go a heck of a long way in regaining confidence which is usually one of the very first steps at someone working on their weight. It starts with "I am worthy of ..." and goes from there. How does anyone feel they are worthy of even starting on the problem, if they're constantly being told by society ,and everyone around them that being plus sized is the worst thing possible?

As far as a "solution to the problem?" Sorry, but there will always, ALWAYS be plus sized people. There is no magic solution. But I personally think ACCEPTANCE would go a heck of alot farther, than JUDGEMENT.

Are you kidding me???? Having a plus sized princess is not automatically saying it's ok to be overweight. But I would bet my pooh sized hiney ,hundreds of thousands of chubby girls would be thrilled with a plus sized role model, if only to relate to them. That yes, they are worthy, they are beautiful no matter what size they are. Sorry, but fat girls need to be told this. They're not, and I think it would be lovely for disney to do so. Having a plus sized princess doesn't mean disney is going to portray her sitting on the couch eating donuts for crying out loud. Geez people...

Bottom line? We need to accept people for who they are no matter what their size. It's not happening! Fat shaming is rampant. Most people that are plus sized, KNOW they are plus sized, and KNOW how they got there. They're not stupid. I bet you 90% eat for comfort, eat to void the pain of not being accepted, or troubles in their life. Read up on sugar addiction. It's just as bad as any drug out there.

I personally think if other people would stop being so judgemental of plus sized people? It would go a heck of a long way in regaining confidence which is usually one of the very first steps at someone working on their weight. It starts with "I am worthy of ..." and goes from there. How does anyone feel they are worthy of even starting on the problem, if they're constantly being told by society ,and everyone around them that being plus sized is the worst thing possible?

As far as a "solution to the problem?" Sorry, but there will always, ALWAYS be plus sized people. There is no magic solution. But I personally think ACCEPTANCE would go a heck of alot farther, than JUDGEMENT.

So you're okay with the next princess looking like this? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/03/29/article-2300962-18FCA63B000005DC-116_634x593.jpg Or this? http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/259/1/c/fat_disney_princess_by_tyriedmann-d5ex1n0.jpg

AND saying that that's okay to use as a role model for young girls?

So you're okay with the next princess looking like this? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/03/29/article-2300962-18FCA63B000005DC-116_634x593.jpg Or this? http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/259/1/c/fat_disney_princess_by_tyriedmann-d5ex1n0.jpg

I will just turn it around on you. So, your saying that person, who's picture you just linked to, isn't worthy? Isn't worthy of being told she is beautiful? Or that she matters? Or that she is just as wonderful, unique and awesome as a skinny person? You proved my point to perfection. Thank you for that.

Acceptance, not Judgement. It goes so much further. Bravo Alice for proving my point.

I don't think that is ok personally, but showing someone who isn't stick thin would be nice. I am pretty thin so I don't have any skin in the game from that angle, but portraying a healthy bigger body isn't bad. Someone with the figure of Robyn Lawley who is considered plus size, but clearly has a healthy body. There is a huge difference IMO between a bigger healthy person and an obese and unhealthy person. Just like there is a difference between a skinny healthy body and a skinny unhealthy body. To me portraying someone obese or overweight, but unhealthy like that is the same as portraying someone who is anorexic. It is very unhealthy and nobody should aspire to it. A child should know that people come in all shapes and sizes, but I feel that allowing a child to become obese is just as harmful as significantly limiting your child's food to keep them thin.

I will just turn it around on you. So, your saying that person, who's picture you just linked to, isn't worthy? Isn't worthy of being told she is beautiful? Or that she matters? Or that she is just as wonderful, unique and awesome as a skinny person? You proved my point to perfection. Thank you for that.

Acceptance, not Judgement. It goes so much further. Bravo Alice for proving my point.

No, what I'm saying is that because Disney characters are caricatures of real life, a plus-sized princess may be drawn in any hyperbolic way an animation team chooses. You can make the curves softer and more realistic, but that's not a cartoon.

And yeah, I think there is a line where 'beautiful' is blurred, but the whole 'my fat is beautiful' thing is BS. I'm 5'4 and about 175 and even THAT is ugly to me. I'm ashamed to look the way I do, and I don't blame anyone else but myself for it, and I'm WORKING on it. I'd much rather see a fit princess than a fat one.

ETA: Disney Princesses aren't people. There is a significant difference between the judgement of an overweight person in real life and the judgement of lines on paper.

I didn't take her post to say that. I just think it is a point that we should be promoting a healthy lifestyle in all shapes and sizes and somebody who is morbidly obese is not choosing a healthy lifestyle. They do deserve love and being told she is beautiful, but she deserves to know she most likely won't live a long life. That she is doing very harmful damage to her body. She doesn't need to be skinny...she needs to be healthy and there is a huge difference.

I find obesity and anorexia to fall under the same umbrella and both need help to find a better way b/c if they don't there body will suffer damage.

ETA: Disney Princesses aren't people. There is a significant difference between the judgement of an overweight person in real life and the judgement of lines on paper.

Tell that to a little "plus sized" girl. They don't see the difference.

There are two competing ideas being discussed here, and both have merit. One is that acceptance of those who are different is important and would be good for Disney to do when it comes to body type. The second is teaching good health which includes addressing obesity in our children. Both are noble and proper. The question is, which should Disney address and how?

I don't think Disney could or should get directly into the obesity issue. What are they going to do, have an obese character and then have them dieting and exercising in the story!?

There are compromises. As someone already mentioned, how about at least some variations in body types? How about a range of healthy body types. And why can't they have a "larger" person as part of the story in a positive way without endorsing of promoting obesity? One character that is on the large side is not going to make all the kids leave the theater and say, "Gee, lets go get ice cream, I now think fat is good!"

This is probably why Disney generally avoids the subject. It is a minefield. Barbie makes an obese Barbie doll and is vilified because they did it "wrong."

Except what little 'plus-sized' girl is going to see a Disney Princess and say 'I want to WEIGH like her'? They don't see that. I see plenty of fat little girls in Princess dresses at WDW. If Disney REALLY wanted to promote anorexia/thinness in kids, they wouldn't sell their costumes all the way up to something like 2X in kids.

Honestly, this is such a non-issue. The majority of people worldwide are not 'plus-sized', and with Disney being an international business, I believe that MANY people globally would be offended by a fat princess moreso than Americans. Especially if it wasn't done nonchalantly due to this kind of a campaign.

but she deserves to know she most likely won't live a long life. That she is doing very harmful damage to her body. She doesn't need to be skinny...she needs to be healthy and there is a huge difference..

Which points out another angle that baffles me. Do you seriously think most women the size of the pictures Alice linked to? Don't know that? That they're totally stupid to the fact what their weight is doing to them? That they're oblivious to the harm they are doing to themselves? Newsflash: Overweight people aren't stupid. Food is like any other addiction out there. It is JUST as addictive as drugs. It's just as addictive as booze. And the sucky @#% part of it, is people still have to eat, to survive. You can go cold turkey on drugs and booze. How is Food not a worse addiction that the other two? Ya still need it, to survive.
People with food addiction most of the time need to find out "why" they eat, and come to terms with the emotional side before any progress gets done.

We can teach good healthy eating habits till we're blue in the face. But we need to address the emotional issues to really get any progress in our obese nation. And the judgement from others, and what society "deems" worthy, as far as body images go? Is part of the problem. Most of the time, telling a person their weight is not acceptable, is only going to push them further into eating. Baffles me that so many people don't understand this.

Except what little 'plus-sized' girl is going to see a Disney Princess and say 'I want to WEIGH like her'?

Of course they're not going to say that. But they will see, "Gee she looks just like me, and she is awesome, and loved, and confident, and I can be too! " :flower3:

There are two competing ideas being discussed here, and both have merit. One is that acceptance of those who are different is important and would be good for Disney to do when it comes to body type. The second is teaching good health which includes addressing obesity in our children. Both are noble and proper. The question is, which should Disney address and how?

I don't think Disney could or should get directly into the obesity issue. What are they going to do, have an obese character and then have them dieting and exercising in the story!?

There are compromises. As someone already mentioned, how about at least some variations in body types? How about a range of healthy body types. And why can't they have a "larger" person as part of the story in a positive way without endorsing of promoting obesity? One character that is on the large side is not going to make all the kids leave the theater and say, "Gee, lets go get ice cream, I now think fat is good!"

This is probably why Disney generally avoids the subject. It is a minefield. Barbie makes an obese Barbie doll and is vilified because they did it "wrong."

Very good points and a nice middle ground. :flower3:

Are you kidding me???? Having a plus sized princess is not automatically saying it's ok to be overweight. But I would bet my pooh sized hiney ,hundreds of thousands of chubby girls would be thrilled with a plus sized role model, if only to relate to them.

I would venture to say that if most 'chubby' girls (your words) had the choice before them of a chubby princess doll and a current Disney princess doll they would choose the 'current' doll. I'll say again that I would never give a 'chubby' doll to a child even if they made one. I can see it now (from the mommy) - "so this is how you perceive my little girl to be?"-------------

They need the encouragement of having a healthy weight (or current fantasy princess doll rather) doll instead of them seeing a doll that they'd then perceive others seeing them as. They don't need that. Real life is probably harsh enough for them - let them enjoy their Disney fantasy like all of us do.

Fantasy world has nothing to do with 'real life'.

Which points out another angle that baffles me. Do you seriously think most women the size of the pictures Alice linked to? Don't know that? That they're totally stupid to the fact what their weight is doing to them? That they're oblivious to the harm they are doing to themselves? Newsflash: Overweight people aren't stupid. Food is like any other addiction out there. It is JUST as addictive as drugs. It's just as addictive as booze. And the sucky @#% part of it, is people still have to eat, to survive. You can go cold turkey on drugs and booze. How is Food not a worse addiction that the other two? Ya still need it, to survive.
People with food addiction most of the time need to find out "why" they eat, and come to terms with the emotional side before any progress gets done.

We can teach good healthy eating habits till we're blue in the face. But we need to address the emotional issues to really get any progress in our obese nation. And the judgement from others, and what society "deems" worthy, as far as body images go? Is part of the problem. Most of the time, telling a person their weight is not acceptable, is only going to push them further into eating. Baffles me that so many people don't understand this.

I understand that and I understand it is an addiction. Which is why WDW shouldn't be addressing it in their movies. It IMO isn't the medium to do it. No good would come of it. Again, showing a healthy bigger person should be done and I see no reason Frozen couldn't have been told with Ana or Elsa being a healthy size 12.

I also get that we can teach healthy eating, but it won't help those with eating issues be healthy. Just like an alcoholic/hoarder/drug addict those people need to be loved, but also need to be helped. I think most of society thinks that body image isn't a number but all about healthy...there hasn't been a time since skinny has been in where a bigger healthy person hasn't been in a more positive light than now. I also think hoarders face a similar dilemma b/c you always have to buy things, but it is just another aspect to the disease. It doesn't mean it can't be overcome. I actually think that helping someone see what they are doing to themselves can help. Silently standing by and watching someone kill themselves with addiction no matter what it is won't help and neither will beating them over the head with it. There is a middle ground. It sounds like this issue hits home with you and you are reading into peoples comments more than what is there. I don't think anyone is suggesting anyone is stupid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter