Petition about Marvel Super Hero Island

Someone on another thread asked if there were Marvel toys for sale in the parks.

I replied that there were but they are mass market toys (things you can find at Wal-mart or Toys r Us).

Which made me wonder, "Does the Universal contract prevent Disney from producing Park exclusive merchandise?"

Without knowing specifically, I'd say yes. Although I'm not sure what Park-exclusive merchandise there could be, considering they can't feature the characters themselves in the park.

Plus, given that they avoid potential issues by keeping the wrapped monorails off the Epcot loop because it goes inside the park, I'm surprised they sell ANY Marvel merchandise.

Someone on another thread asked if there were Marvel toys for sale in the parks.

I replied that there were but they are mass market toys (things you can find at Wal-mart or Toys r Us).

Which made me wonder, "Does the Universal contract prevent Disney from producing Park exclusive merchandise?"

Eh.... I'm kinda doubting it would prevent Disney from creating park exclusive merchandise..... BUT... It also makes me wonder why or what Disney would create.

All existing Park Exclusive stuff is usually tied in some way to the existing synergy between the characters and the parks. Even generic "DisneyPark" stuff still has some sort of obvious connection between the park and the character (even if it's a saying or something that is common between the different resorts).

Considering all the Marvel characters which would currently be marketable enough to possible warrant creating park exclusive merch are also the ones tied up and located in the park across town, I'd doubt Disney would have any reason to want to create that merch since it would just cause confusion for people thinking they'd be able to see those characters within the parks.... and they wouldn't have any huge marvel presense on property to help in the hocking of the Marvel goods.

Now..... I do recall the Universal contract having in it the provisions for Universal to sell merch with the Marvel characters on it, complete with all the info regarding the royalities on said merch. (I think it's mostly utilized currently on 'simple' stuff like shirts which have the marvel characters on them as well as the mention of the parks or the attractions therein.).

Without knowing specifically, I'd say yes. Although I'm not sure what Park-exclusive merchandise there could be, considering they can't feature the characters themselves in the park.

Plus, given that they avoid potential issues by keeping the wrapped monorails off the Epcot loop because it goes inside the park, I'm surprised they sell ANY Marvel merchandise.

Eh... I'm not surprised they'd sell some Marvel merch. The Characters have a huge appeal, and after the splash of the $4bil purchase... and now the Disney name highlighted at the start of Avengers and IronMan, It's not that hard to see those uneducated in the details of the Universal deal thinking that at Disney World they'd be able to buy stuff from Disney's Marvel. Disney has never been one to pass up the opportunity to sell stuff, even if it's a cheap mass market action figure or stuffed spiderman.

Quick point:

Universal having the rights to Marvel means Disney gets a portion of the revenue generated by Universal Florida/IOA. That means when Universal adds new attractions such as Harry Potter to boost their revenue, they also boost Disney's revenue directly. So Disney makes money without having to lift a finger.

The contract would seem to indicate it's a flat annual licensing fee (which increases on a set schedule based on CPI) and % of Marvel Merch (with a set guarantee) sold in the parks.

Not a take of the gate(s).

From the contract:
A. Annual Fee

Upon the opening of THE SECOND GATE, and on an annual basis thereafter, MCA will pay a fee of $***.

B. Merchandise Opportunities/Specialty Stores

Throughout THE SECOND GATE, stores will carry a wide range of Marvel produced or licensed products and artwork, Marvel comic books, Fleer trading cards (or cards of such other licensee as may be designated by Marvel), and toys (primarily action figures) manufactured by Toy Biz, Inc. (or such other Marvel licensee as may be designated by Marvel). Additionally, within or adjacent to THE MARVEL UNIVERSE there would be significant retail space dedicated to Marvel publications, software, products, and cards produced or licensed by Marvel. It is anticipated that this exposure to a highly motivated public who have experienced THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, combined with the underlying popularity of the Marvel properties, will result in a level of sale of Marvel manufactured and licensed products, such as would make THE SECOND GATE an extremely lucrative outlet for its properties.

Within THE SECOND GATE, a minimum of 10,000 square feet of retail space will be devoted to items licensed or manufactured by Marvel or its related companies
including a minimum of 5,000 square feet of retail space in stores themed around MARVEL properties and devoted virtually exclusively (allowing for minor exceptions such as film, etc., but not competing characters) to the sale of MARVEL items.

MCA will give serious consideration to placing such Marvel-oriented stores at or adjacent to the exit of the major attractions within THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, consistent with its reasonable judgment as to traffic flow, planning considerations and customer acceptance.

The various Marvel properties and merchandise will also be used throughout the destination resort including within the hotels (if operated by MCA or an MCA Corporately Related Company; or if operated by a third party MCA will encourage such use), and Marvel theming and merchandise will be featured in any airport stores operated by MCA in Los Angeles or Orlando. Uses of Marvel theming in MCA operated stores other than within the resort property or within the aforesaid MCA operated airport stores will require specific Marvel approval.
The merchandise within such retail facilities will either be (i) purchased from Marvels licensees; (ii) purchased directly from Marvel or its designated distributors; or (iii) manufactured by or to MCAs specifications as a direct licensee of Marvel.

a. Sale of food or beverage, at non-premium prices, from Marvel themed facilities will not be subject to royalties, unless the items sold carry Marvel logos or proprietary elements. In the event such item(s) carry Marvel logos or proprietary elements, Marvel shall receive a license fee of *** percent on the wholesale price of such item (i.e. combined food and packaging).

b. Food or beverage items sold at a premium price, either from Marvel themed facilities or which carry Marvel logos or proprietary elements, shall bear a licensee fee to Marvel equal to the greater of (x) *** percent on the wholesale price or (y) *** percent of the retail price of such item (i.e. combined food and packaging).

C. Merchandise Royalty Guarantee

MCA will pay an annual guaranteed merchandise advance of $*** which will be applied against merchandise royalties from any of its retail outlets calculated at a
rate of ***% of wholesale cost. After the annual guaranteed advance is fully earned, the royalty on additional sales will decrease to ***% and will be paid quarterly. Such royalty will be applied to the wholesale cost of merchandise manufactured for and purchased by MCA as a direct licensee of Marvel, and to the cost of items purchased from Marvels licensees. (While Marvel will not require its licensees to sell items to MCA without a royalty built into the price, Marvel will not in any way prohibit or restrict MCA from being a direct licensee of Marvel or a Marvel Related Company for the purpose of producing products to be sold by MCA at Universal Theme Parks, surrounding complexes and certain airport stores as provided herein, including by means of exclusive licenses granted to parties other than Marvel Related Companies). In the event Marvel is unable to give MCA a direct license because of a conflicting license, MCA shall receive a credit for the license fees payable to Marvel by MCA hereunder, and Marvel agrees that the royalty rate paid by its Licensee in connection with each item as to which Marvel cannot grant a license to MCA will be set consistent with Marvels normal business practices.

1. Marvel will have reasonable audit and review rights to assure that proper payments are made and that the cost attributed to merchandise manufactured for MCAs order is being fairly stated and, inter alia, is not being adjusted so as to reduce the royalties due Marvel in favor of other merchandise not covered by this agreement.

2. The parties will develop reasonable audit rights and procedures which will be consistent with industry standards. MCA will reimburse Marvel for the reasonable cost of any audit resulting in Marvel being due additional sums exceeding ***% of the sums paid by MCA.

3. Marvel will have reasonable approval of all licensed merchandise, artwork, merchandise packaging, logos, and the like utilizing the Marvel properties, which approval will be granted or withheld in a timely and reasonable manner and will not be used in a way which would frustrate the intent of this Agreement.

4. Where items of merchandise feature both the Marvel properties and other characters or elements proprietary to third parties (such as posters, T-shirts, coffee mugs and the like portraying the wide range of characters present in THE SECOND GATE) a procedure to arrive at a reasonable allocation of the royalty will be worked out.
D. Product Purchase Guarantee

In addition to the Royalty Guarantee set forth in C above, if MCAs wholesale cost of the comic books, art work, trading cards, toys, videos, games, and related items purchased from Marvel (or a Marvel Related Company) or their distributor (as to such Marvel produced items) do not exceed at least $*** in a given year, MCA will promptly pay to Marvel any such short fall, or purchase items covering such short fall. Such items purchased by MCA from Marvel or a Marvel Related Company (whether directly or through a distributor) shall not be subject to a Marvel royalty, and any royalty built into the wholesale cost shall be deducted. In the event that the product line produced by Marvel and Marvel Related Companies is substantially reduced after the date hereof, limiting the product available to MCA for sale at Universal Theme Parks, the parties shall negotiate in good faith an adjustment to the above $*** guarantee.

E. Comic Book Advertising

MCA intends to advertise THE SECOND GATE (in a manner that features the Marvel properties) on the back page of various Marvel Comics. Marvel will work with MCA toward this end and provide information concerning
demographically appropriate magazines and their availability. Such advertising buys will be at the best rates available from Marvel to unrelated third parties for such publications for purchases of comparable volume. Subject to the availability of the specific publications MCA reasonably believes appropriate for its needs, MCA will expend at least the following amounts on advertisements appearing on Marvel comics:

1. During the initial two years of operations (plus the pre-opening period) - $***.

2. Per year thereafter - $***.

F. Marvel Compensation Alternative

MCA agrees that if, as to any Universal Theme Park containing a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, MCA utilizes characters not owned by MCA or an MCA Related Company and the financial arrangement between MCA and the owner or licensor of such characters (the third party) involves the payment by MCA of sums based on revenues of the Theme Park or a significant portion thereof (defined below), MCA shall offer to Marvel, the opportunity at Marvels option to elect to be compensated for the use of the Marvel license granted herein as it relates to such specific THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, on the same basis as such
third party. If Marvel so elects then MCA shall receive credit for payments previously made to Marvel to the extent comparable or similar payments were not part of such third party deal. In the event such third party is required by MCA to invest in the Universal Theme Park where its characters are being utilized, Marvel shall have a comparable obligation if Marvel exercises the option to be compensated based on the Compensation Alternative set forth in this paragraph F.

The payment by MCA of sums based on revenues of the Theme Park or a significant portion thereof is intended to encompass royalty arrangements or similar arrangements which compensate the third party based on net revenues, gross revenues, attendance, or any other standard measuring the economic performance of a particular Universal Theme Park or a significant portion thereof.

FYI: "The second gate" means IOA.

I Started the petition to Talk to Universal Orlando Resort to get rid of Marvel Super Hero Island. sign here:

And that would anger Universal fans in Florida.

Why not visit Universal? They do it very well. The characters are very easy to visit, are very dynamic and fun. They are personable and are in character and even as a person who is not a fan of characters (anywhere), I enjoy watching DH and DS interacting with them at Universal vs how the characters at Disney parks interact with them.

Give Universal a try! Maybe you'll find that it's OK for them to be up the road. :)

Disney might even like having a competitor promoting Disney movies.

It is sort of amusing. And then the opposite happens, where the Disney and Marvel fan gets to go to a new park to visit their faves.

So basically the way WDW treats many of its own attractions then?

:goodvibes

All I know is that the one time I've ever wanted to be a lawyer is when I found out about this incredibly complicated deal they have worked out. How I wish I could have those billable hours in my paycheck......

A take of the gate on a property that only accounts for a portion of the park would be unusual I think. Ta take on the merchandise, with a floor, is more understandable as it is more directly attributed to the popularity of the property.

Of course, Disney would have loved to get a take of the gate when WWOHP opened... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter