Pete's Dragon "The Original 1977 version"

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Today I got to watch part of the original Pete's Dragon on Disney+ and in it's remastering it looked amazing and I remember how I used to dislike it when my teacher and I saw it by ourselves when my school used to have movie day as a little girl but the only part I disliked about it was the ending. But now since I adore dragons so much I gave Pete's Dragon a second chance and thought the bond that Pete and Elliott had was very special and I wish that I could have a dragon of my own as a best friend to share secrets with. How Pete's Dragon got remade with Bryce Dallas Howard from Jurassic World is beyond me? I also found it funny that Charlie Callas does Elliott's sounds as well

I love the new movie with Robert Redford so your review means I will be watching the original on Disney+ . Thanks!

I love the new movie with Robert Redford so your review means I will be watching the original on Disney+ . Thanks!

Just an FYI, the two movies are not very similar - both are good though. The original is more like a spiritual successor to Mary Poppins or Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Last edited:
I agree they are not very similar but both enjoyable. The original is one of my favorites and Candle on the Water is such a wonderful song.

I like the new one but could have done with less Bryce Dallas Howard. I have never found her to be an enjoyable actress to watch.

I love both. I remember seeing the original in theaters many years ago. I even got an autographed photo of Sean Marshall. At first I only thought the new one was so-so but I watched it again and really enjoyed it.

I remember when I first saw Pete's Dragon with my teacher in school and the only reason my classmates got to see it was because my other teacher who was obsessed with Disneyland would always buy Disney VHS tapes for our classmates to watch there and Pete's Dragon happened to be one of them and so my classmates were watching Pete's Dragon while I was doing schoolwork and then when my class went to recess my teacher and I watched the rest of it by ourselves. And I always thought Pete's Dragon was unappealing until my teacher showed me Helen Reddy's part where she sang Candle On The Water and I thought it was a magical song and I started singing along with it. But as I said before I disliked the ending because Pete was sort of a drama queen and he was afraid something would happen to Elliott

It was the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

When the Gogans popped up at the beginning of the movie, it scared me so badly (I was three years old) that I sunk down to the floor and layed there for the next 90 minutes, too scared to look at the screen. For years later, I couldn't watch the movie, and even seeing the VHS cover at the local video store made my skin crawl.

I didn't actually watch it until I was a teenager. But even now, when Ma Gogan appears on the screen, it gives me the creeps. And I'm 46 years old.

It is a really good movie, though, especially in hindsight.

It was the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

When the Gogans popped up at the beginning of the movie, it scared me so badly (I was three years old) that I sunk down to the floor and layed there for the next 90 minutes, too scared to look at the screen. For years later, I couldn't watch the movie, and even seeing the VHS cover at the local video store made my skin crawl.

I didn't actually watch it until I was a teenager. But even now, when Ma Gogan appears on the screen, it gives me the creeps. And I'm 46 years old.

It is a really good movie, though, especially in hindsight.
Similar story. I used to have to fast forward the Gogans until after they all appeared. Now I love that sequence.

I think Elliott was such a wonderful friend for Pete in Pete's Dragon and even though Elliott doesn't speak and only makes grunting and whimpering sounds Elliott truly understands what Pete is feeling in his emotions. I watch Pete's Dragon a lot on Disney+ and every time I watch it I think it's magical. Would you like to have a dragon as a friend like Pete did? I know I would and any time I would feel sad and start crying my dragon would comfort me and give me tender hugs to make me feel better

The fact that DCA had a Dr. Terminus face character for its Bald Mountain Night Club show during its two night villains after dark made me emotional (not to mention a handful of other characters who were rare or making a domestic park debut)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter