PETE ARTICLE HERE!!! "Hard-Core Disney Fans Can't Be Corralled..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one to blindly go with it, but whatever happened to "The Customer is Always Right"?

The repeast visitors and hardcore fans are the people who spend the most money. We, in our own way, feel a sense of responsibility to the preservation of the integrity of the "brand". So, yes, our voices should be heard.

And as a Disney fan, I don't like being lumped in with the tweens who love Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers....we all got our sad stories....

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It was great meeting everyone I came into contact with on the DIS boards. I know this will start some "lively discussion," as evidenced by the D23 fan(s) posting here, commenting on the story, and sending us angry emails under different names.

I had a hell of a time in Anaheim, rediscovered some old childhood memories, and now know more Disney arcana than I know what to do with. There are a lot of other stories I had to leave out, too. Hope this can start some discussion in this big and unpredictable community.

The print version is titled "The Mouse Who Loved Me: For hard-core fans, Disney can be a cruel mistress." The cover:

7382139.35.jpg

Also, feel free to send it to your friends. We like readers :)

Best,
- Stefan

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It was great meeting everyone I came into contact with on the DIS boards. I know this will start some "lively discussion," as evidenced by the D23 fan(s) posting here, commenting on the story, and sending us angry emails under different names.

I had a hell of a time in Anaheim, rediscovered some old childhood memories, and now know more Disney arcana than I know what to do with. There are a lot of other stories I had to leave out, too. Hope this can start some discussion in this big and unpredictable community.

The print version is titled "The Mouse Who Loved Me: For hard-core fans, Disney can be a cruel mistress." The cover:

7382139.35.jpg

Also, feel free to send it to your friends. We like readers :)

Best,
- Stefan

Great Article, Stefan! :thumbsup2

I do believe that I am speechelss for the first time in my life.

I do not believe that I am entitled to anything other than value as a consumer. Believe it or not, most of us "crazy, one of those, fans" realize that Disney is just that, a business. There is a lot of sentiment attached to our obsession for various reasons, but at the end of the day, we are consumers purchasing a product. I'm glad that you love your membership that you have to pay for however, even my local coffee shop gives me a FREE one after every 6.

We are a community in here. I think that if you look that up, you will find us....a social group who share an interest. We do not all share the same opinions in many other aspects of our lives, although many friendships have been made, both in people who have and have not ever met. The one thing that we do agree on most of the time is respect.

That's a LOT of complaining. Why can't you just say, "Eh, D23 isn't for me." Whether you like it or not (and CLEARLY you don't), D23 is the OFFICIAL Disney fan club. You wanted it to be perfect and suited to YOU right out of the gate, but instead of supporting it and trying to find a way to NURTURE it and maybe even go to some events and talk to Steven and the people behind it, you bash it in the media.

For the record, I love my D23 membership. The magazine is fantastic; it has the kind of articles and PHOTOS that really, really are enjoyable to me, and it comes with a free gift each time -- sure, a small thing, but probably worth $5 or $6. Purely on the MATH, the magazine and the gifts make up for the cost of membership.

But you don't like it. Fair enough. Do you have to go and try to ruin it for everyone else? You kind of come across looking like a "crazy fan" in this, not someone who loves Disney and wants to spread the same feeling of happiness and joy.

I don't know what Walt would have thought of D23, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken his complaints to some small alt-weekly in South Florida to shout from the mountains what he doesn't like and how slighted he felt.

Reading this article depressed me so much because now people will think ALL Disney fans are this crazy. They're not. Some of us love the fact that Disney is trying at ALL to create some kind of organization for us, after so many years of doing nothing at all. And some of us just really love Disney and its message of optimism and hope, which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what you have conveyed in this article. I was depressed enough to actually JOIN DIS Boards to post this reply. I'm sure you'll remove it, because that's what kind of a person you seem to be -- someone who is ALWAYS RIGHT, no matter what anyone else thinks. If you do remove it, at least YOU will have read this. If you keep it up, I hope others will chime in if they agree.

You do NOT represent Disney fans. You've got a nice little Internet forum thing going here, but you are NOT the Disney fan to represent my opinion and my feelings, that's for SURE.

I've got no axe to grind. I'm happy with my D23 membership, which I've had since they started in 2009. I've been to exactly one event, and don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

I agree wholeheartedly that D23 has LOTS of room for improvement. But they didn't ask me ....and I didn't go running to my local alternative weekly to complain about that.

I'm just sick of being lumped into "crazy" fans who think they are entitled to have Disney's ear just becuase they spend a ton of money on Disney. The way I see it, D23 has brought me a whole lot more enjoyment than my $75 is worth, and over the course of a year it costs me about six bucks a month to be a member.

I'd LOVE to see forums and such, but Disney isn't exactly known for its transparency, and on that level alone D23 is a HUGE leap forward.

As a kid, I was in the "Star Wars" fan club and the "G.I. Joe" fan club and (I admit it) the "Happy Days" fan club, and I got a little four page newsletter four times a year and a little metal pin and a piece of paper with my name on it. I was happy. It cost about $10. So, Disney's way ahead of the pack, keeping with inflation, the way I see it.

Axe to grind? None that I'm aware of except that people who know I love Disney will look at this and say "Oh you're one of THOOOOOOOSE people."

Hi LuJoy,

While everyone has the right to his or her own opinion, you might find it more helpful to send your comments to the person you are directly speaking with instead of posting them here for others to see. The purpose of this thread is to share (and albeit discuss) a news article. It is not to have a personal one-on-one debate with another individual. Please keep that to private message (PM).

Thanking you,

Nicole
DIS Unplugged Forum Moderator

Hi LuJoy,

While everyone has the right to his or her own opinion, you might find it more helpful to send your comments to the person you are directly speaking with instead of posting them here for others to see
that is what I meant about an axe to grind..............it seemed personal............

I liked this article. It tells a story of a Disney fan, who stills loves Disney, but also sees the sides of Disney that could be improved. While I actually have a D23 membership (I love the magazines), I can understand Pete's dislike of the club. It isn't much of a club for those of us who spend thousands of dollars each year to visit a Disney theme park. Why not give us reward points or something to allow us to earn free room nights or free mickey ears or something.

I also liked the article because it gave me more insight into Pete. Pete, keep up the good work and hang in there with staying sober. We love to hear you every week and we want you to keep doing so for a very long time.

Pete is awesome, and D23 absolutely isn't awesome.

I adore Pete, his crew, and his website!

On the other end of things is D23. I have been been a true Disney fan since 1978. I truly believe that I was put of earth to be a front line cast member. It is just what I am meant to do.

Back in May, D23 handed me my very first ever Disney Disappointment. While I did have a great time with Shelly and Teresa in the scavenger hunt.......the speaker series was absolutely awful. Becky Cline's remarks were very offensive to me personally. They showed videos that are on Youtube, and Steven Clark's vacation slides. I finally just left and went to the parks.

I left Orlando very disheartened. Thankfullly things got back on track a couple of weeks ago, and I know for sure that my life is indeed moving in the right direction!

To date, I have paid D23 a total of $245, and for that I got a $4 watch and a broken heart.

Long live The DIS!!

Pete, I have a special book where I put all the quotes I want to remember, the special ones I feel like I'm going to need later....this is going in there.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Ditto!

LOVED the article! It actually gave me a lot of insight to Pete. I had NO IDEA of some of the things he has gone through. Thanks again!

Everyone is entitled to their "unscrubbed truth".
I think we all have some legitimate pros and con lists about Disney...
The boards have provided us with that and more.
I know this my seem like a brownie-kiss up but Pete and the crew in addition to this community are a special bunch.
I know I am not alone in this.
I have witnessed amazing things here, in person, via podcasts etc.
Pete followed his passion and love for Disney and created a wonderful world.
I appreciate his bold honesty. I may not always agree, but I do appreciate his candid opinions and embrace his passion.

That's a LOT of complaining. Why can't you just say, "Eh, D23 isn't for me." Whether you like it or not (and CLEARLY you don't), D23 is the OFFICIAL Disney fan club. You wanted it to be perfect and suited to YOU right out of the gate, but instead of supporting it and trying to find a way to NURTURE it and maybe even go to some events and talk to Steven and the people behind it, you bash it in the media.

For the record, I love my D23 membership. The magazine is fantastic; it has the kind of articles and PHOTOS that really, really are enjoyable to me, and it comes with a free gift each time -- sure, a small thing, but probably worth $5 or $6. Purely on the MATH, the magazine and the gifts make up for the cost of membership.

But you don't like it. Fair enough. Do you have to go and try to ruin it for everyone else? You kind of come across looking like a "crazy fan" in this, not someone who loves Disney and wants to spread the same feeling of happiness and joy.

I don't know what Walt would have thought of D23, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken his complaints to some small alt-weekly in South Florida to shout from the mountains what he doesn't like and how slighted he felt.

Reading this article depressed me so much because now people will think ALL Disney fans are this crazy. They're not. Some of us love the fact that Disney is trying at ALL to create some kind of organization for us, after so many years of doing nothing at all. And some of us just really love Disney and its message of optimism and hope, which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what you have conveyed in this article. I was depressed enough to actually JOIN DIS Boards to post this reply. I'm sure you'll remove it, because that's what kind of a person you seem to be -- someone who is ALWAYS RIGHT, no matter what anyone else thinks. If you do remove it, at least YOU will have read this. If you keep it up, I hope others will chime in if they agree.

You do NOT represent Disney fans. You've got a nice little Internet forum thing going here, but you are NOT the Disney fan to represent my opinion and my feelings, that's for SURE.

At the risk of starting a debate, I have to tell you this......I'm very displeased that you "signed up" just to come here and start something... So you created a DIS name just to come here and post your opinions...thats fine, but you took it to a personal level and that is so not right. If you were to really get to know Pete (and the rest of the crew) you would find that ALL of them really LOVE Disney. I have listened to every podcast, and throughout the years I've taken the good with the bad. Pete describes the Pod Cast as unbiased....It is NOT sugar coated...that's the problem with some other podcasts..they make it all seem moonlight and roses when it really isn't. Disney is a company...a very large company. It is not perfect, and the people making decisions are not perfect. We the fans, all have opinions...and while I do not always agree with the podcast crew, I appreciate their honesty.

I consider Pete a friend, and you have tried to insult my friend...I don't like that...I agree with Mike in that you have a lot of hate going on.

Myself, along with 1000s of others, have met Pete. He IS a true Disney Fan, and I feel he DOES respresent us well.

Should you take the time to listen to some podcasts, and read the boards you will find that this is a fan community...not a fan club....we are real people.

Pete is not trying to ruin D23 for others...he expressed his opinion that he doesn't like it..and you expressed your opinion that you do like it. There is room for both of you...get over it.

You talk about "crazy" Disney fans....what's up with that phrase? I consider myself a Disney fanatic.....and I'm proud of it.

C'mon, let's all ignore LuJoy. It's someone who opened an account on a message board for the express purpose of starting personal attacks. To my knowledge, that's called in internet parlance a "troll". Whatever the persons motivation, there is no profit from being baited by it. Ignoring it is the best solution.

BTW, I liked the article a lot. I have never really thought of spending the money to join D23, though it is not really an outrageous amount, but the benefits seem rather small. (Yeah, you get a magazine, but you could get that @ the newsstand for slightly less.) After the first convention I was really thinking about trying to get out there for one, but this second one seemed like a bit of a dissapointment.

I do not see D23 doing this....

The only HATE you see spewing was from Pete and his comments in the article, from my point of view. He doesn't exactly embody the Disney ideals now, does he?

If you don't see D23 "doing this," you haven't been paying much attention, I guess:

http://makethemagic.ca/?tag=d23

http://relevartzoob.com/2011/05/d23...-world-a-suite-tour-and-a-mickey-mouse-party/

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2009/06/d23-members-stay-up-all-night/

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/03/d23-members-mix-and-mingle-in-orem-utah/ (Yes, Orem, Utah -- interesting how everyone says D23 does NOTHING outside of Southern California)

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/02/a-night-of-classic-disney-animation-in-chicago/ (That's right, Chicago)

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/10/savory-sensations/ (Correct, Orlando)

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/07/d23-members-have-a-blast-with-the-rocketeer-2/

It appears D23 really does nothing for its fans.

For what it's worth, I DID join the DIS Boards SPECIFICALLY to post my comments and views about the article. I thought "forums" were for sharing thoughts and opinions, but I see things haven't really progressed much in a decade since forums were trendy and "cliques" would quickly develop. That said, I do find the forums interesting to read and helpful. I don't see Disney EVER doing anything at ALL like this, and that's not a bad thing. A "fan club" should be about celebrating what you love, not necessarily for exchanging trip reports, tips, etc. It's great you do that. Don't get me wrong (as so many have because they didn't like my opinion and views) -- but that's not really a "fan club." It's a different thing, and these boards certainly fill a need ... but it's not TRUE at all that because Pete isn't supportive of it, D23 is somehow invalid. That's a ridiculous statement, filled with entitlement and unpleasant self-worth. Imagine Disney actually coming out and saying, "Because we are not involved, DIS boards are ridiculous and should be ignored." They don't say that.

What I REALLY don't understand is why so many people here insist on not supporting Disney's efforts at having a fan club. If you would support it and encourage people to participate, instead of bashing it, "all boats would rise," as the saying goes. I've never, ever seen Disney say anything except, "We value the opinions of our fans." The fans, on the other hand, hardly say the same about Disney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!