Perennial-Day Lilies

Mamu

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Day Lilies- They say Americans go crazy over Daylilies, I know I do, they are one of my favorites. You name the color, Daylilies come in it, there are some that are two-toned, some dark with light centers, some light with dark centers. The list goes on and on. They add color wherever you put them. Daylilies like sun but will grow in semi-shade and even full shade, just not produce as many flowers. They like ordinary soil and their average height is 16 inches.

There are some varieties that start bloming in the spring, some in the summer. They are called Daylilies because their flower last for one day, never fret their spikes have lots of buds and they bloom and bloom. They are trouble free.

They should be divided every 3-4 years. You can tell when they start to produce less and less flower stocks it's time to divide. You will soon have tons and tons of daylilies to plant somewhere else, or trade. I am at the trading point. I have about 15 different varieties and am running out of room.

Will be dividing probably in the fall. Let me know if anyone would like some roots.

A pretty Pink Daylily

Day lilies are probably one of my favorites. I have several triple day lilies that I hope to be able to divide this year. The different colors are endless.....here in the south you can see them growing wild on the side of many higways.

TK

I love day lillies! We have a MONSTER of a plant - it was here when we moved in. It is about 6 - 7 feet across, but I just don't have the heart to split it. It is a massive plant and demands tons of water. It rewards me with dozens and dozens of blooms tho!

HI Mamu! I hope I have as much luck with my day lillies as you are having. My daughter was given several clumps from a coworker, and she in turned shared with me. She forgot to ask what color they are, so guess I will be surprised.

I love Tiger Lillies. They seem to grow everywhere along the roadsides, brightening up places.

... and day lillies are next on my list of perennials to try. Hoping to do some Cannas and Glads too.

Any advice from the veterans? TIA!

ckr some of my most favorite flowers are the summer flowering bulbs. They all require soil as rich as possible. Most love sun and do well in pots.

Mamu:

could you please post directions for dividing - my large fragrant yellow ones are in sore need of this...can it be done still this spring or should I wait for fall?

thanks,
LA

Just cleared a spot to plant some day lilies... I have always wanted some I thought they would add some nice color...

LA Daylilies are very easy to divide, but they do take a little work. Dig the lilies up, they have a massive root system.

Prepare the soil where you are going to put the new lilies. I like to put 4-5 roots in each new spot, I just pull them apart. They fill in in a couple of years.

Once you have prepared each new spot, dig a hole deep enough for the root system. Fill the hole with water, let it drain. Plant your lily making sure to water the new plant daily for at least 2 weeks it takes this long for the root system to accept it new home. Do not worry if the plants look a little wilted, this is natural. You have just shocked the plant. The key to transplanting is water.

You can transplant in the spring or the fall. I do most of my dividing in the spring, with the exceptions of a few plants that prefer to be divided in the fall.

Once the hot weather has arrived do not try to divide perennials.

I'll give it a try - but I just noticed that they went from about 6 inches tall to about 18 inches tall just over this week!.

and it's almost never too warm here - LOL -

thanks again,
LA

I am much lazier than Mamu so I just put a spade in a clump and slice off a piece and replant it. They do like fertilizer. I divide them all year long. But my garden isn't as great (by a long shot as the pictures of Mamu's.

On an episode of Ultimate Kitchens I saw a segment about how you can use plain, regular Day Lily petals as a crunchy "chip" for dips. Just make sure not to use a poisonous Oriental lily! I am a beliver in edible landscape, and that segment made me think about planting day lilies even though their colors don't suit my palette (same goes for nasturtiums).

Cheers :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter