People with 4 kids! How do you afford Disney

I have not read the previous replies, but we went in Jan '10 with 4 kids aged 17, 4, 2 and 18 months. We stayed off-site, a 15 minute drive from all park parking lots, at a fantastic rental house for $122 a night. We made our own breakfasts at the rental house, packed lunches for the parks, and did take out or Disney dining for dinners. By doing our own breakfasts and lunches we had enough to rent a mini van. We used our Disney Visa card to buy one of our 10 day Magic Your Way Tickets. Two of the kids were free for park tickets because they were under 3. 1 kid was free for the airline because he was under 2. The entire 10 day trip, including everything (rental house, flight from NY state, tickets, food, van, misc) was just under $3500.
If you can go in the off season, like January, then you can stay on-site for less than $3,500.00, as the rates are low and they are usually running huge promos like 40% room discounts and free dining. We are a family of 6 and my kids are 14, 11, 9, and 8 and our last trip was for 8 nights in two rooms at All-Star Movies and we had the free Basic Dining Plan and our trip was under $3,500.00

In regards to Disney, going from a family of 5 to a family of 6 is a huge jump financially. I can't ever image feeling good about buying DVC for us when they run so many good discounts throughout the year. I do think it is a luxury. Also, we like to take 3 vacations per year and going to WDW in the off season makes the other trips possible. Taking the kids out once a year for Disney, for us, had totally been worth it.

And Really, I don't think Free Dining is going anywhere for a long, long time. This past year they released more free dining dates than ever before and included months and weeks that had never been included before. Also, the height of hurricane season is always going to be mid-August - October 1, so can't image they will ever totally get rid of FD for that timeframe - as that season was the original reason they created free dining in the first place. Free Dining was been one of the best marketing tools that WDW has ever come up with. They are now able to fill the resorts during weeks there were previously almost empty. They just released another free dining discount yesterday so I think we are good for while longer.

I miss those days of being able to go during the off-season!

I agree that free dining will be around during that off-season for a while, but we just can't do it. I was referring more to the timeframe when we can go to WDW. It's people like us who can't travel during those times anymore that subsidize trips for families who pull kids out of school, who have preschoolers, or home school. We used to always miss FD by one week. :confused3 Disney definitely knows how to price for supply/demand.

I don't think the price difference between 5 and 6 is as bad as it is going from 4 to 5! Either 5 or 6 work for two rooms at the all-stars. Granted, with 5, we could stay at POR less expensively but that was way too small for our family of men's size 12, 11 and 8 shoes for our three boys (we did it once!) I do agree that going from 5 to 6 makes DVC impractical for most families.

Good idea. We prefer to stay a little less extravagently in order to fit in more trips though! If we had to wait to take a trip every other year I think we'd have to be put into rehab for Disney vacation addiction withdrawals. :goodvibes We were fine with the All-Stars before our DVC purchase.

We got hooked on the Poly about 14 years ago and feel a little bit disappointed every time we stay some place else. Unfortunately, we can only afford to stay there once every other year, so we choose not to go until we can afford to stay where we want to stay. WDW seems a little bit fresher to us each time with the addition of new attractions and refurbishments of old ones as well, by not going every year.

We got hooked on the Poly about 14 years ago and feel a little bit disappointed every time we stay some place else. Unfortunately, we can only afford to stay there once every other year, so we choose not to go until we can afford to stay where we want to stay. WDW seems a little bit fresher to us each time with the addition of other attractions and refurbishments of old ones as well, by not going every year.

That's why we go to WDW one year, DCL the next! We still get our annual Disney vacation, but keep both of them "fresh"! :goodvibes

Have you considered staying off site?

We might on our next trip. I want to stay at a Disney property, but we can stay at a Value for four nights, or an off site condo, with two bedrooms, for seven. I think with a larger family it might really help to have more room.

I would certainly look at your off-site options - there are plenty, and some very nice condos and homes available for weekly rentals.

On our last trip we stayed off-site and went without the dining plan for the first time - saved a lot of money and really didn't miss the dining plan. Also, if you are close enough and have the time, driving instead of flying can save a significant amount (for us, driving from NC in our Civic = $120ish and flying for 3 of us= $600ish at best). If you have to fly and decide to stay off-site you can find a hotel w/ suites that has transportation to the parks or during off season times you may be able to get a good deal on a rental car using a site like Priceline (a friend of mine regularly gets sedans for around $20/day using Priceline during off season).

I think the best thing you can do is decide what you can afford and work backwards from there.

Remember too, that as far as park tickets go, after about day 4 or 5 the cost to add more days declines rapidly (I think adding day 8 for us was about $10 for all 3 of us) - if you can get a good deal on lodging and transportation to Disney, are smart about your food budget, a longer stay could be worth it.

We are about to have another baby. We will have four kids. My childrens ages are 10, 7, and 2. Next year we will have an adult and 2 children and a infant...what places can we stay at? And how affordable is it? Thanks for your info!!
We went in 2009 with our four kids, they were 10, 7, 2 and 6 months :goodvibes so I can help lol. We stayed at POR. For our next trip we are going to POR for a night and then trying off site for a week to see if we enjoy having space more than we enjoy the extras. I have to admit though the new art of animation resort with family suites has me dreaming of another on site trip already :love:

I miss those days of being able to go during the off-season!

I agree that free dining will be around during that off-season for a while, but we just can't do it. I was referring more to the timeframe when we can go to WDW. It's people like us who can't travel during those times anymore that subsidize trips for families who pull kids out of school, who have preschoolers, or home school. We used to always miss FD by one week. :confused3 Disney definitely knows how to price for supply/demand.

I don't think the price difference between 5 and 6 is as bad as it is going from 4 to 5! Either 5 or 6 work for two rooms at the all-stars. Granted, with 5, we could stay at POR less expensively but that was way too small for our family of men's size 12, 11 and 8 shoes for our three boys (we did it once!) I do agree that going from 5 to 6 makes DVC impractical for most families.
We don't have preschoolers and we don't homeschool. I'm just very strategic as to when we go and how we schedule our dates for free dining. Many free dining weeks can coincide with minor school holidays - Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Columbus Day, etc., so you may only have to miss 2 to 4 days at the most. Last year we took the kids out the three days before Christmas Break, and were able to do 7 days at Disney before the crazy Christmas crowds arrived and still got free dining. Also, with the offer they had last year with dates in March and late May, many people were able to check in on the last day of a promo on those dates and got free dining for Spring Break and for Memorial Day weekend dates.

We didn't add our 4th baby until after we joined DVC in 2008. We always stay in 2 bedroom villas that sleep 8 or 9 depending on the resort so it was no problem to add another child to our family. Being in the DVC was the total right decision for us. We used to book packages, but I like the dvc better.

On our past two trips, we have:

- stayed offsite
- drive down
- eat just once a day onsite. All CS except for our one time at Tutto.
- first trip we didn't even do many Disney snacks. Instead we brought a lot of our own.
- 1-2 souvenirs per child (1st year it was ear hats and autograph books, 2nd year it was a shirt and a toy.)

This time we are not only staying onsite, but doing a few days at CR. We are also getting the DP for portions of our trip (possibly deluxe) and doing more eating on site/TS meals. We are definitely feeling it budget wise, but we are getting 3 kids tickets free, which we have had to pay for the other 2 times. That alone saves us $750 or so. But we are going down a day earlier than planned and staying at the Swan (extra $200) for the Epcot Pixar event. We are also driving a full size van this year, instead of a mini van like previous years, which will cost more money in gas.

The kids free really helped us with doing more (deluxe stay and dining plan) without spending too much more money.

I have 4 children and have been traveling to Orlando since the year 2000 with them. We have stayed at:

Holiday Inn Sunspree: They had a room within a room that contained 2 sets of bunkbeds and another television plus a little kitchenette. Very reasonable. Real close also.

Holiday Inn Family Suite: Very nice. Had a king bed (I believe in our room), bunks and a twin in another room and a pullout couch plus a kitchenette. These WERE affordable until they became Nickelodeon Suites.

A vacation townhouse on 192 which was VERY spacious with 4 bedrooms and a full kitchen but much too far away.

Rented a Marriott Timeshare with 2 bedroooms...I only considered this affordable because a friend rented it to us.

2 Rooms at a value resort which once the kids became teenagers became

3 Rooms at a value resort!!!!

That year (2009) we purchased DVC. We need space and it really killed me to pay for 3 rooms at a value.....

That year (2009) we purchased DVC. We need space and it really killed me to pay for 3 rooms at a value.....

But why would you need 3 value rooms for 6 people? 2 people per room? There are 6 of us and we always get two connecting rooms at a value resort and with them sleeping 8 and having 2 bathrooms we seem to have plenty of room. We have even taken my parents a few times and had enough room.

You must have 4 really big kids!:thumbsup2

Just another reason that we love Fort Wilderness! 10 people can stay on a site, or you can get a cabin with max capacity of 6.

You can get some fairly inexpensive and light pop-ups if you shop around (buy used, private party). We were able to get a really good deal (pay cash) on a fairly large pop-up earlier this year. It's light enough to tow with our minivan.

You can still afford it - just be more creative.

I highly recommend staying offsite with a brood that large. More room is key for all of you and you can find a place for WAY cheaper than onsite (even 1/2 price of renting DVC points).

You can get a 2 or 3 bedroom condo for $500 a week some off weeks. Even with car rental (if you're not driving already) and gas - you will save a ton.

And I like offsite and onsite for different reasons - I don't think you're missing anything!

We stayed at Staybridge Suites LBV in December. 6 of us - me, dh and our 2 kids and then my sis and bil. It was $75 a night and we had 2 bedrooms, living room, small kitchen, and 2 baths AND it included a full, hot, huge breakfast each morning - the breakfast alone would have cost at least $60 - $70 a day for all of us. So when we factored in $120 car and $20 gas plus $50 in parking - we still ended up saving at least $1000 staying there.

I recommend offsite to all my clients with larger families if budget is a concern.

We bought DVC! 2 bedroom Villa, lots of space and we can cook our meals and do laundry!

Have you considered staying off site?

We might on our next trip. I want to stay at a Disney property, but we can stay at a Value for four nights, or an off site condo, with two bedrooms, for seven. I think with a larger family it might really help to have more room.

3 of 4 suggestions. 1) Fort Wilderness Cabins - They're real nice, affordable and sleep plenty. 2) DVC properties - many are really nice furnished apartments that also provide maid survice for an additional charge. One of the few ways large groups can be affordable. Dreams Unlimited Travel can direct you there. 3) Save like crazy and eat bread and water from now until you go. Go into debt and stay where you want to, and have a good time. It will be worth it.

Other ideas to be able for afford Disney with 4 kids. We have a Disney savings fund that for many years now, we have been saving $100 per month for a Disney trip, whether we're planning to go or not. It's similar to a car payment, after a while you don't even notice it. We also pay almost every bill, even a pack of gum at circle K with either our travel rewards credit card, or our Disney rewards credit card. We also pay many of my parants larger bills on our credit cards to earn extra rewards. There are many things that a family with 4 kids can do to at leaset lighten the burden of a Disney trip. It just takes planning. Many times years in advance.

3 of 4 suggestions. 1) Fort Wilderness Cabins - They're real nice, affordable and sleep plenty. 2) DVC properties - many are really nice furnished apartments that also provide maid survice for an additional charge. One of the few ways large groups can be affordable. Dreams Unlimited Travel can direct you there. 3) Save like crazy and eat bread and water from now until you go. Go into debt and stay where you want to, and have a good time. It will be worth it.
We are a family of 6 and I don't find the Ft. Wilderness Cabins a good deal and a 2 Bedroom Villa is certainly not a good deal. The Cabins start out at $285.00 per night and only have one bathroom. The 2 bedroom villas, even when renting points are at least $350.00 per night.

The cheapest way for the OP to stay on-site is at POR. They can all sleep there until here youngest is 3, they start at about $154.00 per night. They would only get the one bathroom for that price, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Cabins. Really, the best option on-site, for the best price would be 2 connecting rooms at a Value. That would only be about $10.00 more per night than POR and you get almost double the space and a second bathroom.

We are a family of 6 and I don't find the Ft. Wilderness Cabins a good deal and a 2 Bedroom Villa is certainly not a good deal. The Cabins start out at $285.00 per night and only have one bathroom. The 2 bedroom villas, even when renting points are at least $350.00 per night.

The cheapest way for the OP to stay on-site is at POR. They can all sleep there until here youngest is 3, they start at about $154.00 per night. They would only get the one bathroom for that price, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Cabins. Really, the best option on-site, for the best price would be 2 connecting rooms at a Value. That would only be about $10.00 more per night than POR and you get almost double the space and a second bathroom.

I agree with the connecting rooms at a Value is the best on-site pure dollar value if you're looking only to save money. But is it a better "value"?

One huge caveat for connecting rooms is that you MAY not get connecting rooms even if Disney says they are guaranteed. You could end up with rooms that are on different floors or even in different buildings altogether. From our experience, this rarely happens, but it does happen as often reported on here. Disney does try to match up families with small kids in connecting rooms first vs extended family or friends. However, there have been stories of even single parents not getting connecting rooms.

With a Cabin or DVC, you are guaranteed to be together. (Or a family suite at AS Music or the future Animation resort)

With respect to it being a "good deal". If you are looking purely at saving $$'s, then stick with a Value. If you want something a little nicer, there are options both on-site and off-site. You may decide that paying more is actually a better "value" for your family if you value some things that the Value resorts cannot offer. For example, with DVC, you do get a full size kitchen and laundry in the room. Yes, it is more expensive to rent points, but for many families they prefer the location & amenities of a Deluxe resort (i.e. balcony, nicer furnishings, full service restaurants on site, better landscaping, pools with slides, etc.) over the Value resorts. To rent points for DVC could be less expensive than staying at a Deluxe resort (especially for larger familes). The Values are fun and we enjoy them, but they are a bit kitschy. Plus, they can be "louder" than other resorts and we've been there with large school groups. Talk about a zoo.

There is usually only me and DS and I normally prefer to stay offsite. I love the extra room and amenities.

I was wondering how people did this with several kids particularly as the kids got older. I can see staying at POR but I felt cramped there when there was three of us. It's a favorite of ours but the rooms are small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter