People hangover?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
At least that's what I'm calling it 'cause I'm not sure it has a name.

Have been estranged from family for a very long time & a family member wanted to visit this week, which was welcome but ended up being more stressful than I anticipated. On one hand it only reinforced I made the right call a long time ago but now I feel all covered in emotional goo from the past so it's a lot like Ghostbusters slime. My dark humor needs to spin this in an amusing way and am curious what other people would call it.

lol...glancing at thread title, I thought this was going to be about a "people hangover" in general - with everything going on the past 2 years, I am so tired of people in general - let alone annoying family members! :crazy:

I now return this thread to its original programming:bitelip:

lol...glancing at thread title, I thought this was going to be about a "people hangover" in general - with everything going on the past 2 years, I am so tired of people in general - let alone annoying family members! :crazy:

I now return this thread to its original programming:bitelip:
Yeah, there's that too :hyper2::mic::hyper2:

Me just :crazy2::drinking:

Now I am wondering if hieroglyphics were just old school emojis, so that's my headspace now.

There are times when it’s easy to keep your distance from former friends and family, such as people who have abused you. It’s harder when the issues are more nuanced. My extended family has basically split into the two extremes politically, with the two sides not speaking or wanting to be in the same room with each other. So far, my sister and I have been able to have limited communication with both sides by keeping that communication online and simply not discussing issues that we know won’t be welcome. I have to admit, there are some family members that, as much as I might want to see them, would be difficult to deal with in person and I would probably end up feeling like the OP.

As far as what to call it? I can’t think of words descriptive enough that could’t be taken the wrong way. It’s like you have been exposed to something, and you just have to wait until it’s out of your system.

There are times when it’s easy to keep your distance from former friends and family, such as people who have abused you. It’s harder when the issues are more nuanced. My extended family has basically split into the two extremes politically, with the two sides not speaking or wanting to be in the same room with each other.
Right? I can only imagine how contentiously ugly summer bbqs and holiday dinner tables may get after this week's explosive supreme court decision, other volatile decisions yet to come by the Supremes, the Nov mid terms...oh yeah and the ongoing pandemic, inflationary pressures, frustrating supply shortages and who knows what else?

Does anyone have a big rock I can hide under?
1656194842008.png

I can only imagine how contentiously ugly summer bbqs and holiday dinner tables may get after this week's explosive supreme court decision, other volatile decisions yet to come by the Supremes, the Nov mid terms...oh yeah and the ongoing pandemic, inflationary pressures, frustrating supply shortages and who knows what else?
But...you're saying there is barbecue??? :earboy2:

At least that's what I'm calling it 'cause I'm not sure it has a name.

Have been estranged from family for a very long time & a family member wanted to visit this week, which was welcome but ended up being more stressful than I anticipated. On one hand it only reinforced I made the right call a long time ago but now I feel all covered in emotional goo from the past so it's a lot like Ghostbusters slime. My dark humor needs to spin this in an amusing way and am curious what other people would call it.

Oh, I have plenty of relatives like this. One in particular was so stressful to be around and for awhile, I couldn't really get out of spending time with them periodically. So I developed a way of coping. It sounds weird, but for me, it totally worked. And it doesn't sound weird if you have an oddball sense of humor about it. It goes like this...

Sir David Attenborough is the narrator in your head. You know, the British guy who narrates all of those BBC & PBS nature documentary shows. The script is kind of like the following...

Narrator: Ladies & gentlemen, here we are deep in the Amazon rain forest with Professor LuvOrlando. LuvOrlando is a world reknowned entomologist, who's doing field research on insects.
Your nutty relative: (does or says something ridiculous, frustrating, whatever)
Narrator: We are in for a real treat today, ladies and gentlemen! It appears that LuvOrlando has stumbled across a new species of bug. Let's observe while LuvOrlando makes some notes in his/her field journal.
You: Say something to calmly set boundaries with your nutty relative.
Your nutty relative: Flips out over you setting boundaries.
Narrator: Oh my, ladies & gentlemen. This is quite remarkable. Look at how this unique insect can turn its head an entire 360 degrees. I don't think that this has ever been caught before on camera. Quite remarkable!

...you get the idea.

Trust me...this is JUST ENOUGH to get your head emotionally out of the game so that you can remain emotionally detached enough for your nutty relatives from driving you totally bananas.

I've also found getting up quietly, not saying a word, and walking out of a room to be quite effective at getting a nutty relative to finally listen to all the previous times that I'd told them that saying X to me was crossing the line. It helps me to NOT get super duper mad when Sir David Attenborough is describing the boundary crosser as an Amazon jungle insect who nobody has ever seen before. :rotfl2:

Got a double whammy. Relative A brought a gift from Relative B, which was a beloved item from Relative C (deceased) and this thing turned out to be a painful trigger that took some time to take shape so when I said I'd be returning it a drop off was refused and I was voluntold to have it specially packed and ship it UPS. I did love Relative C so I'll do it, but for Pete's sake, how unaware are people? What the what...

Oh, and they also sent a very old grimey creepy doll with moving eyes like a horror movie, so altogether it's been something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter