Paying for 2 rental cars

mmouse50

DIS Veteran
I have invited my 2 nieces and their families to WDW so there will be 9 of us in total. We will need 2 cars - how do I go about paying with my CC for both cars? I can put one of them has the other driver on the car but how do we get out the exit at MCO because don’t you have to show your CC and drivers license? The license (hers) and CC (mine) won’t be in the same name for her car.

When we did this I had to add my sister as an authorized user on my credit and get a card for her in her name. Once we got back from the trip I just called the credit card company and had her removed.

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread but I honestly don't know how to start a thread and since this mentioned rental cars, I'm hoping to just ask a question.

We snow birded the past 2 years and doing it again this year. The rental car went up sickeningly high last year and even higher this year. We live in Illinois and going to Cocoa Beach (and then back and forth to Disney) and driving is out of the question. We are old and DH hates the thought plus I have serious joint problems so sitting in a car would be difficult.
THE QUESTION: Has anyone transported a car down to Florida? Right now the rental for 3 months is over $4,000 for an ECONOMY car! (and yes, I'm playing the Costco game and yes have signed up for everything). Last year was around $3,000. I'm wondering if shipping would be much lower and is it scary to ship a new car (we got hit by someone and car was totaled) shipped, wondering if anything would happen to it?
Is the car insured by the shipping company and/or we need an extra policy?

Has anyone done this? Does anyone has any suggestions of where to even begin looking into it without googling blindly?

If someone knows how to get this question into another thread and wants to move it, that would be just fine.

Thanks for even considering answering this.

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread but I honestly don't know how to start a thread and since this mentioned rental cars, I'm hoping to just ask a question.

We snow birded the past 2 years and doing it again this year. The rental car went up sickeningly high last year and even higher this year. We live in Illinois and going to Cocoa Beach (and then back and forth to Disney) and driving is out of the question. We are old and DH hates the thought plus I have serious joint problems so sitting in a car would be difficult.
THE QUESTION: Has anyone transported a car down to Florida? Right now the rental for 3 months is over $4,000 for an ECONOMY car! (and yes, I'm playing the Costco game and yes have signed up for everything). Last year was around $3,000. I'm wondering if shipping would be much lower and is it scary to ship a new car (we got hit by someone and car was totaled) shipped, wondering if anything would happen to it?

Has anyone done this? Does anyone has any suggestions of where to even begin looking into it without googling blindly?

If someone knows how to get this question into another thread and wants to move it, that would be just fine.

I know people that have used https://www.autodriveaway.com/ and were happy with it. No idea how much it costs, but they have offices all over the country.

Any rental ovet 30 days is sometimes considered a short term lease. You need to call the local Orlando number. Ask for a rate and ask for suggestions. At a minimum rent from a location not subject to airport surcharges.

You can ship your car using a service which matches you with a person who will drive your car. Some services use a car carrier, similar to what's used when delivering cars to dealers. Some will enclose your car.

I have absolutely no idea what it cost, but my husband’s employer shipped both our cars to our new city when we relocated. The company was https://relotrans.com/. (I’m not sure if they take individuals or only corporate clients)

The cars were well taken care of and the process was easy. It was shipped on a carrier so no miles were added and less risk. They would have covered any damage in transport but there was none.

I have absolutely no idea what it cost, but my husband’s employer shipped both our cars to our new city when we relocated. The company was https://relotrans.com/. (I’m not sure if they take individuals or only corporate clients)

The cars were well taken care of and the process was easy. It was shipped on a carrier so no miles were added and less risk. They would have covered any damage in transport but there was none.
Thank you so much. It gives me somewhere to begin. I appreciate your answering VERY much.

https://www.uship.com/vehicles/

SHIP YOUR CAR WITH USHIP​

Ready to experience something different? uShip is an online car shipping marketplace that puts you in complete control. Obtain multiple vehicle shipping rates in a matter of minutes and easily compare quotes from some of the best auto transporters in the country. With absolutely no obligation to book a shipment, uShip is a risk-free option when you just need a ballpark estimate to transport your car.

We shipped our car from MD to our home in Polk City in 2017 and it was around $600.
We shipped my daughter's truck in May this year, 2022 from Tacoma Washington to Polk City Florida and it was around $1,800.
The way it works is you give them the pickup location, and the delivery location and they give you the estimated price. Also, they just don't pick it up when you tell them to. They wait till they have several cars going from one place to your general location. You may have to give them an address where your car will be and give a friend/family member the keys so the transport driver can pick it up when the time comes. When the load is full they bring them and drop them off, I believe it's by geographic location but not sure. The vehicles could come on a large car hauler like dealers get their deliveries from, an enclosed trailer if you want to pay extra, or our car and my daughter's boyfriend's car came on a 5 car wedge trailer. The insurance was built into the transport cost. They are very careful taking pictures of any and all pre-existing damage, which they send to you. They are very careful as it's their business and they don't want to get a reputation for hurting their customer's cars.
Overall we were happy with the experience. The only other way I know of to get them from point A to point B without driving yourselves is to hire a driver to bring them down. I don't know anything about that option and I wouldn't do it anyway.
Good luck.

Thank you so much. It gives me somewhere to begin. I appreciate your answering VERY much.

We shipped our car from MD to our home in Polk City in 2017 and it was around $600.
We shipped my daughter's truck in May this year, 2022 from Tacoma Washington to Polk City Florida and it was around $1,800.
The way it works is you give them the pickup location, and the delivery location and they give you the estimated price. Also, they just don't pick it up when you tell them to. They wait till they have several cars going from one place to your general location. You may have to give them an address where your car will be and give a friend/family member the keys so the transport driver can pick it up when the time comes. When the load is full they bring them and drop them off, I believe it's by geographic location but not sure. The vehicles could come on a large car hauler like dealers get their deliveries from, an enclosed trailer if you want to pay extra, or our car and my daughter's boyfriend's car came on a 5 car wedge trailer. The insurance was built into the transport cost. They are very careful taking pictures of any and all pre-existing damage, which they send to you. They are very careful as it's their business and they don't want to get a reputation for hurting their customer's cars.
Overall we were happy with the experience. The only other way I know of to get them from point A to point B without driving yourselves is to hire a driver to bring them down. I don't know anything about that option and I wouldn't do it anyway.
Good luck.
Oh my goodness. What excellent resource information. Thank you extremely much.
I'm going to print it out for sure to reference it.

https://www.uship.com/vehicles/

SHIP YOUR CAR WITH USHIP​

Ready to experience something different? uShip is an online car shipping marketplace that puts you in complete control. Obtain multiple vehicle shipping rates in a matter of minutes and easily compare quotes from some of the best auto transporters in the country. With absolutely no obligation to book a shipment, uShip is a risk-free option when you just need a ballpark estimate to transport your car.
Thank you very much!

Shipping a car is not cheap. The last time I did it was several years ago shipping from Washington, DC and Texas and it was over $800 one way. They give you a window for pickup and a window for drop off so you should really plan on being without a car for at least a week while it is being shipped.

We have friends that you used to ship their car from upstate NY to Palm Springs CA every year. They would fill the car up with their clothes and other things that they eanted with them.

I have invited my 2 nieces and their families to WDW so there will be 9 of us in total. We will need 2 cars - how do I go about paying with my CC for both cars? I can put one of them has the other driver on the car but how do we get out the exit at MCO because don’t you have to show your CC and drivers license? The license (hers) and CC (mine) won’t be in the same name for her car.
Why don't they just use their own credit card and you give them the dough to cover it if you want to pay for both cars?

BTW, your thread really did get hijacked...holy cow. :duck:

Last edited:
Why don't they just use their own credit card and you give them the dough to cover it if you want to pay for both cars?

BTW, your thread really did get hijacked...holy cow. :duck:
A possible reason, may not apply to OP, a few credit cards offer primary coverage for rental cars

To reply to the hijack; do you have a younger trusted relative or family friend who might be willing to drive the car down and back for you in exchange for a few days' paid vacation + o/w airfare? That's going to be the fastest and easiest way to do it, and probably much cheaper as well.

As to the original question, I'd stop by a local branch of your rental agency and ask (getting knowledgeable people on the phone tends to take forever and isn't as reliable as asking in person, IME.) I know that I did it years ago when we got married; I rented an extra car for DH' brother the best man, who was dead broke at the time, but that was a long time ago, and things change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter