Paying dues with Gift Card limits

No. I am in the UK. It converts them to UK £.

Then if I buy something in US$ it converts it back.

So I get clobbered twice with the exchange.

Sure - even as a Dis veteran and having sent the booking confirmation ?

im Just trying to find a way not to get hammered on currency exchange and something a US renter would do….

Yes, even with the confirmation, which can be canceled, as you know.

If you sent off gift cards, that money is gone. It's not Paypal or the credit card company or anyone is going to help you, or you can even track where it went.

Yes, even with the confirmation, which can be canceled, as you know.

If you sent off gift cards, that money is gone. It's not Paypal or the credit card company or anyone is going to help you, or you can even track where it went.

But even if they pay family and friends you can't really dispute it.

Im still left with the issue about being paid but keeping it as US$

No. I am in the UK. It converts them to UK £.

Then if I buy something in US$ it converts it back.

So I get clobbered twice with the exchange.

This is not entirely true, what is described is what happens if you have a UK PayPal account without setting it up for USD holdings.

You can set a UK PayPal account to hold multiple currencies. Log in, go to "Wallet", have "PayPal balance" selected on the left and under the list on the right you should see "+ Add a currency" and find the currency you want to hold.

You will notice on one of those screens it says
> When you add a currency, any payments you receive in that currency will be credited to that balance. We’ll use your primary currency when you send or request payments.

Payments from say David's Vacation Club Rentals will stay in USD when they arrive. You can make payments on Shop Disney (you may need to give your DVC address) for eGift Cards in USD as it accepts PayPal. Target should work however I've not been able to get it to work.

You may depending on what you use the PayPal account for want to set the account primary currency to also be USD. This is done by again going to "Wallet", have "PayPal balance" selected on the left and in the list find the currency and click the three dots on top of each other. In the menu select "Make Primary".

Don't think however you can transfer the USD out via say Transferwise or Revolute and use the balance with their Visa/MasterCard products. PayPal will want to convert to GBP on these transactions based on the "nationality" of your PayPal account.

I’m going to look into this myself a bit more.

transfer wise allows UK £ to be added but when maki by a payment via the US it automatically uses the currency available.

may be viable but usually it’s the US address issue that normally crops up

You can have a (transfer)wise account snd it keeps it in the currency sent

but then it likes a wire.People can send that to you and it keeps it in US$

But people aren’t always keen to do that. Many people prefer PayPal but it kills you on exchange. But I am going to try that keeping it in us $ and getting a gift card to see if it works

Let me know how you get on.

I have a VPN on all the time anyway so would be keen to get in on these Target Red thing

I would just use my Amex for the Airmiles but stings on non UK purchases of like 3%

I have a VPN on all the time anyway so would be keen to get in on these Target Red thing

I would just use my Amex for the Airmiles but stings on non UK purchases of like 3%

Thats the problem, I wanted to avoid the currency exchange fees.......

Doesn't work. As I am in the UK, it doesn't let me buy gift card in US$........

Last edited:
I think you losing on on conversion stinks also. I've rented many times before (in ROFR process now so hoping to be an owner again). As a pp said, gift card scamming is big here in the U.S. If someone asked me for gift card payment, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that at all unless I knew them well. If it was someone I had rented from before I would be more willing to consider paying in gift cards but still probably wouldn't necessarily do it.

Yeah I have Monzo which I think I’ll easily be able to pay my dues with and they use the wholesale exchange price.

probably the same with wise but I don’t think there would be a benefit to using that over Monzo for me

It’s just a MasterCard and DME allows me to add it for charging so I assume I will be able to pay my dues the same way

Monzo is fine for paying dues. I just tried a dummy run for $100 even though I don’t have the money and the card was accepted despite the lack of funds not allowing it to go through.

$100 payment would have been £72.07

If you are receiving money from somewhere in $ then you may be better sticking with Wise as they allow Swift numbers to be used.

I'm using Monzo which is (one of) my UK Banks that holds my money in £ pounds but when I pay for a product in the US, there's no exchange fees and the rate is paid at the MasterCard exchange rate which is really favourable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter