passport questions

phillmolly

DIS Veteran
Help!!!

I need to either get an enhanced license or a passport card and I need it by March 28th!

For the enhanced drivers licenses, I will need to get a certifed copy of my marriage license, the only copy I can find is a copy. I would have to go into Detroit, pay for parking ($10) and pay $25 for the license. Then it is $45 at the SOS. Not sure how long it would take for me to get it, but I think about two or three weeks.

Or I can get a passport card, it's $55. But it could take up to six weeks! I could pay for expideted service for an additional $60, and have it in two to three weeks. I would also like to get DS (4) a passport card, but I really don't want to pay $60 for both!

I have heard the turn around time on passports is actually much shorter that what they are saying on the website, anyone know how true that is? DS and I could go to the post office tomorrow.

I've heard the same thing from several people recently. But of course you can't be garenteed that. What are needing them for? I guess you just have to ask what will you do if they don't come in time? Will it ruin set plans? Is that worth the extra $$ to get them here in time?

oh, we are going on a cruise, it is a closed loop, so my understanding is if worse comes to worse I could travel with my birth certifcate and drivers license. We will be in Mexico one day and Castaway Cay one day. I was just planning on have DS travel with his birth certifcate and getting myself the enhanced drivers license but since I can't find our marriage certifcate, to show my name change, I am leaning towards just getting the passport card. I am just really worried about timing.

BTW, we just booked the cruise today, super last minute but its just the way it happened!

phillmolly said:
oh, we are going on a cruise, it is a closed loop, so my understanding is if worse comes to worse I could travel with my birth certifcate and drivers license. We will be in Mexico one day and Castaway Cay one day. I was just planning on have DS travel with his birth certifcate and getting myself the enhanced drivers license but since I can't find our marriage certifcate, to show my name change, I am leaning towards just getting the passport card. I am just really worried about timing.

BTW, we just booked the cruise today, super last minute but its just the way it happened!

I think no saw your other post about the cruise earlier!! Have a great time :)

Help!!!

I need to either get an enhanced license or a passport card and I need it by March 28th!

For the enhanced drivers licenses, I will need to get a certifed copy of my marriage license, the only copy I can find is a copy. I would have to go into Detroit, pay for parking ($10) and pay $25 for the license. Then it is $45 at the SOS. Not sure how long it would take for me to get it, but I think about two or three weeks.

Or I can get a passport card, it's $55. But it could take up to six weeks! I could pay for expideted service for an additional $60, and have it in two to three weeks. I would also like to get DS (4) a passport card, but I really don't want to pay $60 for both!

I have heard the turn around time on passports is actually much shorter that what they are saying on the website, anyone know how true that is? DS and I could go to the post office tomorrow.

You can order a copy of your marriage license online for Wayne county in Detroit. The application looks pretty easy. Cost is $22 for first copy and $7 for each additional. I ordered birth certificates and marriage license copies from Flint a few years ago. I live out of state now but I think they arrived in less than a week. Hopefully Detroit could deliver quickly too. I didn't see on the website how long it takes. I ordered my first passport about two years ago. I think it arrived in about four weeks.

I know when we got our passports, they arrived in about 3 weeks (normal processing). But, as mentioned, you can't count on that. I think you're going to have to pay extra money.

My only concern about going online is how long the delivery takes. When I went to get certified birth certificates from the state, I had to go to the capital, but was able to get them in about 30 minutes.

Both my kids needed passports for our recent cruise. It took 2 weeks for one and about 17 days for the other.

Yiou are lucky that Detroit has a passport agency. If you go there in person, you can get it on time. You will have to pay the expedite fee but its the only sure fire way.

I had to do that with my sons renewal. Had to go into Miami but it was worth it. I also had to show proof of travel but it doesn't look like Detroit asks for it. From the website it looks like you can get it in 5 days.

Here is the link
http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_4451.html

Frankly, if you are getting it for cruise, you may as well travel with just your birth certificate which satisfies the requirements for a cruise, even though the card is good for sea entry. A passport card will not allow you to fly home from one of the ports if the up unfortunate need arises. They are good for people who do a lot of land border crossings, but won't help you if you end up having to fly.

I found out the end of September that I needed a passport by 12/1. did it all quickly (took my own picture, did it all online), ran it down to the post office to complete. I had it in 3 weeks!

My husband's passport needed to be renewed. I mailed the application, etc on January 24th and the passport arrived last week on the 6th! I did however pay to have it sent to and from overnight, but did not expedite. BTW, they actually left the passport on our porch in the overnight envelope, no signature or anything. When I had checked online it said processing time was 4 to 6 weeks, but the turn around time was pretty darn quick so that might be the way to go.

DS and I could go to the post office tomorrow.

FYI to get a passport (and I assume a passport card), both parents need to be present for a minor. {In certain situations, I think you can bring paperwork from the other parent, but it would need to be notarized ahead of time.}

Pretty certain you'll need the marriage license for a passport card too...I had to have it for my passport to prove the name change.

Frankly, if you are getting it for cruise, you may as well travel with just your birth certificate which satisfies the requirements for a cruise, even though the card is good for sea entry. A passport card will not allow you to fly home from one of the ports if the up unfortunate need arises. They are good for people who do a lot of land border crossings, but won't help you if you end up having to fly.

Yep, if going through the trouble, pay the extra money and get a passport. Why do you need another drivers license? All you need for a cruise is your drivers license, and your ds needs a birth certificate. A passport card isn't going to help much if you need to fly out of another country.

I had to get a new passport and I went to the PO to fill everything out on 1/23 and got my passport on 2/5. As of right now you have more than 6 weeks before you leave so I think you will be ok with getting the passport card in time for your trip.

The Passport Agency does update the status of your application on their website and you do have the ability to call/email to check status if you don't have your passport about 2 weeks before you leave.

Putting this out there for posterity:

There are services out there that can get you a passport in a matter of days....even next day if necessary. I used this company when we needed a passport for my then infant daughter on short-notice.

In case anybody is wondering how this is possible: it was explained to me that these services have arranged standing appoints with a local passport issuing agency, and the services determine what passport applications they bring to those appointments.

Yep, if going through the trouble, pay the extra money and get a passport. Why do you need another drivers license? All you need for a cruise is your drivers license, and your ds needs a birth certificate. A passport card isn't going to help much if you need to fly out of another country.

There is a cruise ship adrift right now in the Gulf of Mexico due to an engine fire. It's being towed to Mexico and the passengers flown home from there. The ones without passports will get home, but they certainly will be more delayed than the ones with them.

Why do you need your marriage license, are you not a citizen? I got my enhanced license last year. I did not need my marriage license. If I were you I would just get a passport.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8669_9040-213045--,00.html

I need the marriage license because of my name change.

Which I did end up finding! But now I am kind of torn if I should get the enhanced license or the passport card, seems to me they both work the same, I can travel by land or sea but not fly with both of them.

Putting this out there for posterity:

There are services out there that can get you a passport in a matter of days....even next day if necessary. I used this company when we needed a passport for my then infant daughter on short-notice.

In case anybody is wondering how this is possible: it was explained to me that these services have arranged standing appoints with a local passport issuing agency, and the services determine what passport applications they bring to those appointments.

Yup, it's possible to get one fast if you really need it. I didn't use a service and was able to get a renewed passport in roughly four hours.

I showed up at the airport for a school trip not realizing my passport had expired (stupid!!). We had to have one of my state congressmen call the nearest passport agency to get me an appointment for the next day. I had proof of travel for that afternoon (I got rebooked on the same flights that I was supposed to have been on) and I had my passport in hand by noon that day. That was definitely crazy fast, though - when the security guard gave it to me, he commented on how he didn't know how I got it so fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter