Passport for children

I'm not sure but I think 2 things are being confused here. Originally a poster complained they had to purchase a long form birth certificate which is a piece of paper not a card and it shows both parents on it and you have to pay for it and order it separately most people do not have this and have to order and pay for it. This has nothing to do with the "long form passport application". The government decided this was new that children must have this long form birth certificate (as of Oct 12, 2012 website says) when they apply for a passport that the regular card type birth certificate was no longer enough. When I first did my children's passports the regular card type birth certificate was all we needed. Then our 5 years was up passports were going to expire and this new rule was in effect about these long form birth certificates- I read on this board if your child already had a passport you would not need to purchase this and I was very relieved as we have 4 kids so this would be pricey and another step to have to do. We only needed their current passport and current regular card birth certificate to get the newest passport and they even gave them back the old passports (with holes punched in the side). Adults can use the short form renewal one that does not ask as many details there is no such thing for children. Children can not use this form even if they have a passport it is just like filling one out for the first time.......... the only little perk to a child already having a passport is they do not have to buy and show the long form birth certificate that all first time child's passport applications now have to.

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/16-.aspx?lang=eng#parent Proof of parentage info see exceptions

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf There is only one child's passport application and it remains the same whether or not they have had a passport previously there is no simplified "short" version for child

I'm not sure but I think 2 things are being confused here. Originally a poster complained they had to purchase a long form birth certificate which is a piece of paper not a card and it shows both parents on it and you have to pay for it and order it separately most people do not have this and have to order and pay for it. This has nothing to do with the "long form passport application". The government decided this was new that children must have this long form birth certificate (as of Oct 12, 2012 website says) when they apply for a passport that the regular card type birth certificate was no longer enough. When I first did my children's passports the regular card type birth certificate was all we needed. Then our 5 years was up passports were going to expire and this new rule was in effect about these long form birth certificates- I read on this board if your child already had a passport you would not need to purchase this and I was very relieved as we have 4 kids so this would be pricey and another step to have to do. We only needed their current passport and current regular card birth certificate to get the newest passport and they even gave them back the old passports (with holes punched in the side). Adults can use the short form renewal one that does not ask as many details there is no such thing for children. Children can not use this form even if they have a passport it is just like filling one out for the first time.......... the only little perk to a child already having a passport is they do not have to buy and show the long form birth certificate that all first time child's passport applications now have to.

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/16-.aspx?lang=eng#parent Proof of parentage info see exceptions

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf There is only one child's passport application and it remains the same whether or not they have had a passport previously there is no simplified "short" version for child
No confusion, what I, and others ( I think) are saying is that we had to get the Long Form Birth Certificate to do a passport renewal for our children.
I am not sure why you didn't have to but I too read back then that I wouldn't need it, and it was wrong. I went to do her renewal (she had a passport already) and I had to have the Long Form Birth Certificate. I was sent home to order it and had to come back with it when it came in. The regular birth certificate was not sufficient.

pigletto said:
No confusion, what I, and others ( I think) are saying is that we had to get the Long Form Birth Certificate to do a passport renewal for our children.
I am not sure why you didn't have to but I too read back then that I wouldn't need it, and it was wrong. I went to do her renewal (she had a passport already) and I had to have the Long Form Birth Certificate. I was sent home to order it and had to come back with it when it came in. The regular birth certificate was not sufficient.

Yes I was referring to the long form birth certificate as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter