Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Hi all! I can't believe I didn't know this thread was here. I have been pulling my hair out dealing with DD and college decisions.

After a long and arduous journey she has been accepted to Northeastern (I nixed this one...too expensive), University of Minnesota College of Biological Science and Loyola.

She initially insisted she loved Loyola and wanted to go there. Even with generous merit aid it is about $5000 a year more than U of MN, which frankly is a better school than Loyola. We decided that she would take out loans for the difference between Loyola and U of MN. I researched Loyola's pre med advising and it is actually pretty solid.

Well...then we attended Loyola's admitted students weekend. She got to meet some of the girls she had been corresponding with via Facebook. She was upset because a lot of the students knew each other, and were "rich suburban white girls" (for the record she is a middle class suburban white girl). She cried for 2 days!!! Her life was over!

So I decided to be the understanding parent: "it is fine if Loyola is not what you thought. The University of Minnesota is a great school with EVERY kind of student, I am sure you will find your niche."

Aaaaaand last night she informs me she has decided to go to Loyola and will transfer after her Freshman year of it doesn't work out...oh, but now she does not want to study biology, she wants to be an English teacher. Lord give me strength to deal with melodramatic indecisive teens!
I hear ya! DD started out looking at occupational therapy, then changed to nursing schools. We researched and visited universities with BSN programs last summer. She wrote all her nursing essays, filled out all her applications for Early Action. 3 days before she sent them she sent me a text saying, "IDK nursing." Then she decided maybe she wanted to be a marketing/communications double major. She researched that and applied to a few more schools. She got accepted to James Madison University (has nursing, occupational therapy, marketing and communications - all of them just in case!). She went to Accepted Students Day, picked out a dorm and bought the T-shirt! I thought maybe we were done. But.....a month later she got into Virginia Tech (her dream school but it doesn't have nursing or occupational therapy). She had a hard time making her final commitment. In the end, she went with her heart and chose VT, marketing and communications. Deposit has been paid, roommate has been found, dorm has been chosen, but we still need to buy a T-shirt!

Well, crap. There is a huge monkey wrench in our surprise trip to WDW for Wishes (5/11) and Avatar (5/13). I had checked my DD's track schedule when we were thinking about going over Memorial Day when my DH had a conference and it was fine. Then the Avatar AP preview came out on 5/13 and I grabbed it. I thought I had checked the track schedule for that weekend but apparently I did not. Her Conference track meet (it goes Conference->Regionals->Sectionals->State) is on 5/12 :badpc:. She's not good enough for State, but she would certainly go to Conference and Regionals and she *might* make Sectionals but I don't know if he coach will allow it if she misses Conference. *sigh*

Oh, we have boyfriend issues just before prom. :( Honestly, why are teen relationships so angsty? Niece is really busy (as I've posted before) and the boyfriend has a lot more free time because he is not in a very rigorous academic program (different school). So now he's whining that she doesn't love him because she won't spend any time with him. She feels badly and I'm walking a narrow line between saying "he's a jerk who is holding you back...dump his ***" and giving hugs and saying "his emotions are all over the place because you are both graduating and will be very far apart." And it all seems so vital to the both of them at the moment, when I KNOW it will fizzle out to nothing when she gets to college and meets other boys and he meets other girls.

I don't know if I updated everyone on this, but my DD was inducted into the National Honor Society last night. I know that this honor is usually extended to sophomores and juniors but she was not the only senior in the induction class. She struggled her freshman year and really didn't kick things into gear until second semester of her sophomore year which was probably why she was not offered it in the past. In all, there were about 50 seniors total out of a total class of more than 500. I am so proud of her!

Well, crap. There is a huge monkey wrench in our surprise trip to WDW for Wishes (5/11) and Avatar (5/13). I had checked my DD's track schedule when we were thinking about going over Memorial Day when my DH had a conference and it was fine. Then the Avatar AP preview came out on 5/13 and I grabbed it. I thought I had checked the track schedule for that weekend but apparently I did not. Her Conference track meet (it goes Conference->Regionals->Sectionals->State) is on 5/12 :badpc:. She's not good enough for State, but she would certainly go to Conference and Regionals and she *might* make Sectionals but I don't know if he coach will allow it if she misses Conference. *sigh*

So what are you going to do? (I know my DD would freak out if I surprised her with a trip that would derail her State Track path!)

So what are you going to do? (I know my DD would freak out if I surprised her with a trip that would derail her State Track path!)
It's not a surprise any more. I purchased a copy of Avatar for us to catch up on and gave it to her last night. She said, "I don't care about track!" so that's fine with me. Unlike swimming, she's not a track state qualifier in any case. Next monkey wrench: she has the first out of 3 (!) Calculus finals on Friday 5/12. She's going to ask her teacher if she can take it the next week but she also has the second final that week. We'll see what the teacher says. Everything is refundable but I'll be bummed to miss Wishes and Avatar.

It's not a surprise any more. I purchased a copy of Avatar for us to catch up on and gave it to her last night. She said, "I don't care about track!" so that's fine with me. Unlike swimming, she's not a track state qualifier in any case. Next monkey wrench: she has the first out of 3 (!) Calculus finals on Friday 5/12. She's going to ask her teacher if she can take it the next week but she also has the second final that week. We'll see what the teacher says. Everything is refundable but I'll be bummed to miss Wishes and Avatar.

Three finals for one class - that sounds awful! Hope the teacher will be flexible so you can still take your trip!

Okay, hope you can work around that test now!

A year from now we'll probably do Disney when DD18 is on her break at college and DD15 will miss school/soccer but that doesn't bother her. I wouldn't dare take her away from a theater practice though! They have different priorities :)

Three finals for one class - that sounds awful! Hope the teacher will be flexible so you can still take your trip!
It shouldn't be too bad for her as they are all after her AP test. She should have everything down for the AP test and then the 2 finals should not be too big of a deal. The last "final" is the University of Wisconsin math placement exam. Apparently you don't have to be admitted to take the exam since the entire class will take it and I'm not sure if it'll be graded for the class. It might be a special thing they do for Madison HS students. I'm very glad they are taking the placement exam since that will give my DD a very good idea where she stands.

Do any of your children have the option to opt out of finals? Our district says if the Senior has over an 83% for the semester, they don't have to take the final if they don't want to. Neighboring district they have to have an "A".

Prom is May 13th, finals are May 23-25, and graduation is June 1st.

It shouldn't be too bad for her as they are all after her AP test. She should have everything down for the AP test and then the 2 finals should not be too big of a deal. The last "final" is the University of Wisconsin math placement exam. Apparently you don't have to be admitted to take the exam since the entire class will take it and I'm not sure if it'll be graded for the class. It might be a special thing they do for Madison HS students. I'm very glad they are taking the placement exam since that will give my DD a very good idea where she stands.

Oh, I see! That's actually a very nice service for the kids in Madison. Then if (when!) they call her off the waitlist she is already all set for math placement :)

Do any of your children have the option to opt out of finals? Our district says if the Senior has over an 83% for the semester, they don't have to take the final if they don't want to. Neighboring district they have to have an "A".

Prom is May 13th, finals are May 23-25, and graduation is June 1st.

Our district allows seniors to opt out of finals if they have at least a 90 average after 3 marking periods. My daughter is actually taking her AP gov final today. It's really a prep for the AP exam next week. She doesn't have to take it but wants,to as a gauge. If it helps her grade it will count and if not it'll be dropped.

She won't need to take finals at all this year.

My DD took her AP Environmental Science final last week. I have no idea what they're going to do for the month after the AP exam. She'll finish her Calculus early too. That leaves Anatomy, Contemporary Lit and French. I don't think they will be done early in French since only 3 kids will be taking the AP exam. It's a REALLY hard one!

No prom for us this year. It's a junior prom at DD's school. Thank goodness that expense isn't happening again:scared:

AP testing is next week and the week after for our HS. DD will be taking 3 AP exams.

Senior finals are May 30-June2. She may be able to opt out of a couple, but I'm not certain?

Graduation is June 4th

Best news of all!! DD got a job!!! She's going to earn money!!

She will be a beverage cart girl at a golf course a few minutes from our house. Training is on Saturday. She's a golfer, so this is a great job and she's excited to be outside all summer and golf for free!

No prom for us this year. It's a junior prom at DD's school. Thank goodness that expense isn't happening again:scared:

AP testing is next week and the week after for our HS. DD will be taking 3 AP exams.

Senior finals are May 30-June2. She may be able to opt out of a couple, but I'm not certain?

Graduation is June 4th

Best news of all!! DD got a job!!! She's going to earn money!!

She will be a beverage cart girl at a golf course a few minutes from our house. Training is on Saturday. She's a golfer, so this is a great job and she's excited to be outside all summer and golf for free!

Congrats to your DD on her job! She is all set for the summer!

Oh, we have boyfriend issues just before prom. :( Honestly, why are teen relationships so angsty? Niece is really busy (as I've posted before) and the boyfriend has a lot more free time because he is not in a very rigorous academic program (different school). So now he's whining that she doesn't love him because she won't spend any time with him. She feels badly and I'm walking a narrow line between saying "he's a jerk who is holding you back...dump his ***" and giving hugs and saying "his emotions are all over the place because you are both graduating and will be very far apart." And it all seems so vital to the both of them at the moment, when I KNOW it will fizzle out to nothing when she gets to college and meets other boys and he meets other girls.

My daughter went with a senior boy last year to his prom- she would have broken up with him prior to it but she felt bad leaving him without a date. He was in the regular classes, was not going to college, didn't drive and had no job- everything opposite of her- he would get mad when he would call and text and she was busy studying for a test or doing homework because he didn't get much homework and didn't study so he didn't get how much time and effort she put into doing those things. A few days after prom he was history! This year she said she is not going with a guy because its no fun at prom with a guy, she is going with a group of friends and plans to dance all night long!

Do you remember the story behind my DD's AP exam in AP Language Comp last year? My DD had straight A+'s through the whole year and scored a "2" on the exam. I was furious. There is no reason for a kid to get straight A's and then fail the AP exam. I paid to have the essay part of the exam returned to me so her teacher could review it to see where things went wrong and to "score" it for me so I knew whether to pay for a multiple choice re-score. She refused and the head of the department backed her up and the vice principal for Advanced Learning told me that they don't "teach to the AP test".

No kidding.

I just looked up the AP scores from our school district from last year. 55% of the 81 kids from my DD's high school who took the AP Language Comp test passed with a 3 or better and 45% of the students FAILED it with a 1 or a 2. Forty freaking five percent FAILED. To put that into perspective, the "pass rate" percentage from all the other 3 high schools combined was 75% (out of a sample of 162 kids). Unfreaking believable. AP English Literature Comp was virtually the same with a 57% pass rate. What absolutely shameful statistics. Back in the summer I was mad for my DD and now I am mad for all the other kids who put themselves out there to take the AP English exams for which they were also woefully under-prepared. It's obvious there is a systematic problem with the English department at my DD's high school.

Do you remember the story behind my DD's AP exam in AP Language Comp last year? My DD had straight A+'s through the whole year and scored a "2" on the exam. I was furious. There is no reason for a kid to get straight A's and then fail the AP exam. I paid to have the essay part of the exam returned to me so her teacher could review it to see where things went wrong and to "score" it for me so I knew whether to pay for a multiple choice re-score. She refused and the head of the department backed her up and the vice principal for Advanced Learning told me that they don't "teach to the AP test".

No kidding.

I just looked up the AP scores from our school district from last year. 55% of the 81 kids from my DD's high school who took the AP Language Comp test passed with a 3 or better and 45% of the students FAILED it with a 1 or a 2. Forty freaking five percent FAILED. To put that into perspective, the "pass rate" percentage from all the other 3 high schools combined was 75% (out of a sample of 162 kids). Unfreaking believable. AP English Literature Comp was virtually the same with a 57% pass rate. What absolutely shameful statistics. Back in the summer I was mad for my DD and now I am mad for all the other kids who put themselves out there to take the AP English exams for which they were also woefully under-prepared. It's obvious there is a systematic problem with the English department at my DD's high school.

That's so frustrating! Of course they should be "teaching to the test!" You mean the test that objectively measures the students' competency in the subject area they've been studying all year? If it's my kid, yeah, go ahead, teach to the test and let them have a chance to pass! What a cop-out by the school, that's unfortunate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter