Parents of the Class of 2019

DD did her registration yesterday, with a little paperwork to complete today. No issues getting exactly what she wanted. Three theatre classes, Comp II, and Foundations of Recreation. Plus choir for no credit. M-W-F are just 10 am and 12 pm. Tu-Th from 9:30 to 3:30 (Tu) or 5:30 (Th). Time for lunch each day. Pretty nice schedule and all classes she will enjoy. She's excited for Acting with one of her favorite professors! And looking forward to singing again.

DS does his registration for next semester Thanksgiving week. He said he's going to take another econ, of course more govt and see what other requirements he needs to knock off, probably a science. He seems to be having fun and doing well in his classes. He rarely tells us much. He only gets the day before Thanksgiving off but said one class is already cancelled that Tues. and has decided to skip the others if they're not cancelled so he can come home Monday night. He told us he skipped his first class on Halloween - he had an 8 a.m. and had gone to a comedy show the night before and was tired. I can't believe the first semester is almost over! If I could only get DS16 interested in looking at some schools...we really need to start thinking about it!

DD already had her schedule for next semester, they set up the first year at orientation and then can change it as needed.

As for Thanksgiving, well, she is supposed to fly home from Boston tonight, and we've currently got about 12" of snow on the ground and it's still snowing! She's really ready for a break, so hopefully it will stop here in a could of hours so she can get into Denver without any problems!

Had a little blip with registration, used an echeck to pay off a small balance due, the Friday before her Monday registration she got a notice it didn’t go through, so she used a credit card, and went down in person Monday morning to make sure it cleared, and they told her she would not be able to register until 9 pm (instead of 3 pm), she had a chemistry lab at that time. Fortunately somehow she was able to register at her given time and got all of her classes. She will be a sophomore next semester due to AP tests and dual enrollment classes. She’s home, has been out to breakfast and lunch several times already, did some Christmas shopping (got her boyfriend tickets to the Book of Mormon (he lives on Long Island so he will train in, she’ll bus in). Glad to have her home.

I'm glad everybody seems to be doing well with registration.

I hope your daughter's travel plans aren't interrupted by the snow @ColoradoDisneyFreaks. Safe travels.

I'm leaving in a little while to pick DS up. He had thought that 3/4 of his classes had been canceled and was planning to ride home with his roommate this morning. However, he found out last night that he was still expected at one of his afternoon classes. (He said the teacher clarified that she was only excusing out-of-state students with travel plans -- in-state students were still expected to attend. That sounds really odd to me. It seems like class should be canceled, or not, independent of your residency. But regardless, he decided he'd better go. So instead of being done at 10am, he'll be done at 4pm.) I had intended to have one of his favorite dinners tonight (made the spaghetti sauce yesterday) but I think tonight's dinner is going to be something from the drive thru instead. So now his "homecoming meal" will be tomorrow.

EDIT: I got a little more clarification on the "canceled only for out-of-state students" class. Apparently, the class was not actually canceled at all. They were doing final run-throughs of the group presentations that they have to present to an actual client next week. Several members of DS's group live out-of-state and had made travel plans that conflict with the class, so the teacher allowed his group to present during her Monday office hours instead. She excused them from class so they could keep their travel plans. DS thought that meant his whole group was excused from class on Tuesday, but the teacher clarified Monday night that ONLY the people with out-of-state travel plans were excused (everyone in his group except DS) and she still expected to see DS in class. When DS thought he was going to be excused, too, he made travel plans with his roommate to get home earlier, so he could have probably claimed that he had travel plans too. However, he figured it wouldn't pay to tick off the professor who was going to be grading the projects, so he went to class to be the audience for the other groups. I picked him up after class. It all worked out.

Last edited:
DS flies home tonight and I can't wait to see him! I picked DD20 up on Friday, and having 2 of out 3 kids home is nice, but it will be awesome when all 3 are home together. He's supposed to land around 10:15 PM, but flights from Philadelphia always seem to be delayed, so I'm guessing it will be a little later than that.

DH is on his way to get DS now!!! I was supposed to go with him, but now there are two other guys in the carpool instead of one, so I stayed here rather than have us all squished on the way back. I plan to make DS's favorite apple pie, so the house will smell all yummy when they get here.

Son is home now - I took the day off yesterday and did the drive to get him and his roommate. 9 hours round trip. :o I squeezed in a lunch with my mom, though, who lives about midway there. And his roommate's parents are bringing back home on Sunday, so I only have to do the trip once.

Classes are all set for next semester - I think he's pretty pleased with his schedule. No 8am classes or late afternoon Friday classes, like this semester. :)

Such a happy time of year! I picked up my DD after classes last Thursday. They don't get a fall break, so get the entire week of Thanksgiving off. We've seen Frozen 2, done some shopping, had some nice relaxed fun. I hope everyone else has a great break!

Glad to hear registration is going well for everyone, and that so many have made it home for the holiday.

DD is staying in Cali and visiting family for the break. She should be on her way to Carmel later this afternoon. We'd planned on her taking the train most of the way but DH's uncle offered to drive up to campus to pick her up after her last class, which I think ends at 3:30 her time. She has most of her registration for next semester done, but the approval to take 20 credits is contingent on satisfactory first semester grades so it won't actually be finalized until mid-Dec. But the provisional approval is enough to hold her spot in the one extra class, though with an 8am bio class on her schedule, she probably could have gotten away with adding it at the last minute!

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well! DD enjoyed her long weekend at home, she and DH went up skiing on Friday, and she got to spend time with her friends as well.

Her registration is done for next semester, Biology II with lab, Chemistry II with lab, Calculus for Bio majors, and an Art History class. Should be interesting for her!

We did have a bit of a kerfluffle getting her back to Boston, the weather was bad out there, and she landed at midnight last night (classes for Lowell were already closed for today) so instead of trying to get an Uber back to campus, we found her a hotel room for the night. Just FYI if anyone needs to know, La Quinta does allow someone to check into the hotel at 18, Hilton, Doubletree, Four Points all do not.

@ColoradoDisneyFreaks I know from my DD21 trying to take a little trip when 19/20 that it is hard to find a hotel to stay in! I've wondered what college students do if there is no place that will take them.

It was great having DD home for a week. She kept busy with going to her sister's the first weekend, a friend out overnight and then shopping, Friendsgiving, family holidays, etc.

Her roommate got the go ahead to plan on living with DD again next year which is what we were hoping for. (Her parents considered having her live with her brother.) On Friday, roommate scheduled some apartment tours for her and DD. They see their favorite one tomorrow.

Son went back to school a little earlier than planned, but with the storm hitting upstate NY, his roommate's parents decided to get them back earlier to avoid the worst of it. So they left around midnight on Saturday and were back in the dorms around 4:30am yesterday. Sounds like many schools around them are closed today, but RIT was back in session this morning. :)

Didn't see him a ton during the break - Thanksgiving, obviously, but otherwise, just one dinner out with him on Saturday. The rest of the time, he was out visiting his old HS friends. Last final is done late on Dec. 17th, so I'm hoping maybe my dad can pick him up that night and we can get him the next day, to save a little bit of driving. All weather-permitting, of course.

I think Dd is glad to be back, I have to say, she has not lost the art of conversation. When at college she FaceTimes me, and we talk with others in her room, and when she was home, she was either doing work or FaceTiming friends. I got to hear about the drama at a party Saturday night, involving drinking, vomiting, crying, boyfriends - good times!

Glad everyone had a good thanksgiving and everyone (so far) has made it back to campus safely -- even if was earlier/later than ideal.

We had a nice weekend with DS and got to see him more than I expected. His two best friends both went out of state to visit extended family, so he was able to see them Tuesday night and Wednesday morning... but they were gone after that. (I am glad he was able to see them a little bit though.)

And I get him back in about 10 days for his Winter Break (and that's 6 weeks long!)

He's not sure what to do about roommates next year. Sophomores are required to live in the dorms and most rooms are doubles. He's currently living with an acquaintance from high school. DS says it's going "fine" -- and they get along well enough, but DS doesn't think that his roommate is particularly happy. (Apparently, the roommate's #1 choice was our local university but he didn't get in. He doesn't hate their current school, but over break another of their high school friends said he's planning to transfer to the local university -- and that it's easier to get into as a transfer student. I don't know if that's true or not, but DS thinks his current roommate would prefer the other school if he could go there. He's a HUGE fan of their sports teams, etc.)

Anyway, the roommate SAYS he's planning to come back to their current school for sophomore year, but DS isn't sure that's set in stone. If he returns, I think DS would be fine rooming with him again. However, If DS signs up to room with his current roommate, and then his roommate decides to transfer/not return, then DS would end up with a "random" roommate, which he does not want. So he's trying to decide whether to 'chance it' that his current roommate will return, or whether he should try to find another roommate who is more of a sure thing. I think the current roommate *is* hoping/expecting for he and DS to be roommates next year though, so... that could end up awkward.

Last edited:
I can't believe we're already talking about housing for next year! DD did mention that she's found the dorm she wants to room in next year, it's apartment style dorms and she wants to have a double/triple, so an apartment with 2 bedrooms, one being a double with 2 students and the other a triple. She and one friend who's a girl would room in the double, while the 3 boys who are also in their friend group would get the triple. Since none of them are dating, DH and I are fine with it.

Had a great break with DS, but his friend's dad baled on driving them back, so we ended up taking him back ourselves early yesterday morning. (The drive up was actually nice, though, and we beat the snow home, so all OK in the end.)

He spent a little time with us, some precious (much needed) time with his cousins, and a good amount with his local friends as well. He says he's ready for the semester to be over, though, and is looking forward to being home for the longer break around Christmas.

It sounds like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving, even if the weather did make for some travel hiccups. I ended up sort of glad DD didn't try to come home - the Oakland airport experienced a power outage that delayed security and departures on the day she'd have been flying out, so she'd probably have been caught in that mess! Instead, she spent the holiday poolside in central Cali. Tough life, right? She called during Thanksgiving dinner and we all passed the phone around the table at MIL's house, so she got to talk to both grandmothers, all the cousins, etc. She'll be flying home for the holiday break a week from tomorrow, so we'll get to see her soon enough.

Housing applications for next year don't start until the beginning of Feb. for her, so she's got some time to figure it out, and in the meantime, she's waiting to hear about whether she advanced to the interview round of the RA application process. If she gets that, she'll have a single for next year which would be really amazing (esp. since we wouldn't be paying for it!) but she hasn't mentioned anything to me about likely roommate choices for next year. I know she does want to stay on campus, but quite a few of her friends are talking about sharing apartments instead of staying in the dorms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!