Parents of the Class of 2019

Happy 2019! I can't believe this is the year for all of our kids. My daughter mentioned this morning that it is now 5 months, 18 days until graduation and that just seems unreal.

We're done with the college apps (again!) - she ended up adding two more schools to her list for regular decision, which brings the total up to 8, and we have two acceptances so far. Both are safety schools but one offered an unexpectedly significant automatic merit award. If the rest of the financial aid package matches their net price calculator's result (which I must have forgotten/gotten crossed because I was thinking of it as a lot more of a financial stretch), I think she needs to give it some serious thought. She was deferred by Tulane, which didn't come as a big surprise - the buzz on the college discussion boards that was later confirmed by their own admissions blog is that they're focusing seriously on yield and using applicant-interest tracking as a metric. We haven't gotten down there for a visit, they don't offer alumni interviews or info sessions in our area, and she wasn't interested enough to apply under one of their binding admission plans so we were prepared for this outcome. The deferral letter "strongly suggested" she switch to (binding) early decision II but she's not going to do that so we'll just let the chips fall where they may with that.

In other news, she's applied for a statewide 4H award that comes with a miniscule amount of $$ but big bragging rights, as well as a county-level award that will be decided at an event mid-month, and the softball season is starting up already for pitchers and catchers. And we ordered her dress for the winter formal - she decided she wants to go with a sort of Goth vibe for this one, and I found a perfect black corset dress on Wish for $12 so we pulled the trigger even though the dance is still two months off. And we've officially registered for our "last" (doubt it, but she's tagging everything with that label this year!) 5k together, so I'm going to have to get off my rear about at least that one of my NY resolutions. :rotfl:

She was deferred by Tulane, which didn't come as a big surprise - the buzz on the college discussion boards that was later confirmed by their own admissions blog is that they're focusing seriously on yield and using applicant-interest tracking as a metric

Sorry about Tulane, but I agree they were tough this year...8 in DD's class applied and 4 or 5 were accepted. It's only 3 hours away from us so most of DD's classmates consider it a local university and treat it as such but it seemed Tulane only accepted those with strong demonstrated interest. Congrats on her acceptances and scholarships so far and good luck with the 5K.

Happy new year! DS got his Georgteown application in right before the new year. So now we just wait for more (hopefully!) acceptances. He has four he has not heard from and one of his top choices releases by Feb. 1. One of the reaches he applied to (mainly because DH and I suggested he should) we have not visited and I asked last night if he wants to go over MLK weekend. He said no, because he's not going to go there and doesn't think he'll get in anyway. Makes me wonder why we spent the $65 to apply. Whatever. I'm glad this part is done with and now on to the next step. Which I guess right now is waiting, lol.

Happy New Year! Can't remember when/what I last posted. DS has gotten into 5 of 6 he applied to. Still waiting on Clarkson U and that is currently his number 1. Hoping to hear early Feb.

His bday is exactly 1 week today and he's still working on his Eagle Scout Project.:crazy: The project itself is done. He's down to 1 more required merit badge-he's meeting with counselor to wrap that up Friday. His project book is nearly complete. I pleaded with him this morning to just get it done tonight. He has to be done before 18 bday but his Board of Review can be after that. Not sure how long it takes to coordinate the review. UGH....so stressful...just want this completed.

@lovesdumbo, nothing like teens to cut it close, huh?

My DH is an Eagle Scout, but it was a long time ago, so he doesn't remember how long the review takes. It's a great accomplishment, though. - Please congratulate your DS for us!

@lovesdumbo, nothing like teens to cut it close, huh?

My DH is an Eagle Scout, but it was a long time ago, so he doesn't remember how long the review takes. It's a great accomplishment, though. - Please congratulate your DS for us!

Thanks!

He had his regular scout meeting last night. When I got home from work he came running out to my car to tell me he couldn't print the 33 page fillable PDF Eagle Scout Project Workbook and he couldn't save it and he couldn't email to a different computer without saving it and was NEVER going to get his Eagle.:crazy2: We tried printing other things and the printer wasn't working so I drove him to his meeting (he was too crazed to drive) and went and bought a new printer. We did get it printed out thankfully!!! I found out exactly what he needs to do and deadlines so I feel like I at least have a little bit better control of things. He still has that one merit badge to complete for Eagle that he should wrap up today, he has to write a personal ambition statement but that should be easy to do after his college essay, he has to meet with his scout master to sign off on the workbook & application which we hope to do Sunday, we have to PDF the application (signed off by scout master) and send to council before his birthday 1/10. Then we have to bring his workbook to the council (doesn't have to be before bday). After they have the book they will set up meeting for Board of Review. I think we might make it.

This whole thing has at times made me wonder if he can't do this without cutting it so close to the deadline how will he succeed in college with less structure. I'm hoping earning Eagle will actually give him the boost in confidence that will make him realize he can do anything if he just puts in the effort. It will be something he can be proud of the rest of his life. Scouting has been a very important part of his life-he really would have regretted it if he didn't follow through.

DD’s best friend was almost an Eagle Scout. Didn’t get his project completed in time - his mom’s NOT happy with him right now.

DD announced her college decision over Christmas. We are now trying to figure out how to pay for it. She picked the most expensive state school on her potential list. She was only granted $5000 in loans. After the loan amount it estimated $22,000 per year. We went through this once already with our oldest daughter. We owe $30,000 in loans for her alone. Our middle child was fortunate in that he had great grades and a great ACT score so we didn't pay anything for him. He has some student loans but they covered everything needed.

DD will get $3000 off annual tuition if she gets her ACT score up by 2 points so we are going to try to get her in some classes. She has already taken it 3 times. She thought she was done but we asked her if she would be willing to do it for $12000 in her pocket and she agreed it would be worth it.

We've been able to save abut $12000 though our state's college savings program. I also think that this being our youngest and the two siblings are now completely independent will help. In other words, we are not supporting 3 children any longer, just one.

My husband and I make decent money but are far from rich. We certainly make more than average. When did going to a state school become practically out of reach for the typical middle class family? Sigh. Yes, we could easily tell her to pick a less expensive school. The other two went to this school so I don't know that it would be fair. It is also where I went. My point is that going to a state university shouldn't be out of reach for your typical middle class family.

What is everyone else doing to pay for their kids school besides skipping Disney for the next four years? :P:earsboy:

(Side note, we have only taken the kids to WDW twice. The last time we did it by spending very little money. I was really hoping to go again in 2021 with just me and the spouse. We will see if we can still make that happen.:tinker:)

DD announced her college decision over Christmas. We are now trying to figure out how to pay for it. She picked the most expensive state school on her potential list. She was only granted $5000 in loans. After the loan amount it estimated $22,000 per year. We went through this once already with our oldest daughter. We owe $30,000 in loans for her alone. Our middle child was fortunate in that he had great grades and a great ACT score so we didn't pay anything for him. He has some student loans but they covered everything needed.

DD will get $3000 off annual tuition if she gets her ACT score up by 2 points so we are going to try to get her in some classes. She has already taken it 3 times. She thought she was done but we asked her if she would be willing to do it for $12000 in her pocket and she agreed it would be worth it.

We've been able to save abut $12000 though our state's college savings program. I also think that this being our youngest and the two siblings are now completely independent will help. In other words, we are not supporting 3 children any longer, just one.

My husband and I make decent money but are far from rich. We certainly make more than average. When did going to a state school become practically out of reach for the typical middle class family? Sigh. Yes, we could easily tell her to pick a less expensive school. The other two went to this school so I don't know that it would be fair. It is also where I went. My point is that going to a state university shouldn't be out of reach for your typical middle class family.

What is everyone else doing to pay for their kids school besides skipping Disney for the next four years? :P:earsboy:

(Side note, we have only taken the kids to WDW twice. The last time we did it by spending very little money. I was really hoping to go again in 2021 with just me and the spouse. We will see if we can still make that happen.:tinker:)
Dd22 and ds20 went/are in in state schools. We co-signed loan, and they will pay them back (they were both given $30,000 which covered one year, and did/will spend two years off campus and working to pay r/b). In state public college here is over $30,000 a year, and our state doesn’t really give anything except free community college for those in the top 10%. Dd22 will start repaying soon (signed a job offer but wants to finish up her CPA first). Fortunately it’s a good one, she wants to pay her loans off in 8 years (but that’s $1000 a month, which won’t give her much wiggle room). I do recommend a private tutor over ACT classes, our last one was only $60 an hour, dd17’s ACT went up 3 points, SAT about 250. Classes did nothing for dd22/ds20.

I do recommend a private tutor over ACT classes, our last one was only $60 an hour, dd17’s ACT went up 3 points, SAT about 250. Classes did nothing for dd22/ds20.

Thanks for the tip. This child takes after me. The other two take after their dad and didn't need any help on ACT to score above 30.

Thanks for the tip. This child takes after me. The other two take after their dad and didn't need any help on ACT to score above 30.
Dd topped out at 34, tried for 35 but couldn’t do it (at our big state school that’s a full rid, but they really don’t have her program anyway).

Our youngest, DD22, graduated college in May with no debt. She went to a state school and we were able to lock in the $12,000 per year tuition for 4 years. Room and board on campus went up every year but she moved off campus and into an apartment after one year. She was able to control cost much more there and saved money by cooking. She received $5,000 per year in merit aid from the school and received several smaller scholarships freshman year. Senior year, we were rebated the cost of her final semester.

Since she was our youngest, we did cash flow the 18-19k a year for the remaining tuition and her room and board. We had paid off our mortgage a few years prior to college starting. She worked for gas and spending money.

We took one last Disney trip to celebrate her high school graduation and then we vacationed very little for the college years. Fall of her senior year, I went on a girl's trip to Disney with my sisters. It was inexpensive due to one sister's military discounts and splitting the room by 4.

Since DD graduated in May, DH and I have added a beautiful patio to the back of our house and taken a trip to Key West and just came back from celebrating NYE in Vegas.

Honestly it was worth 4 years of belt tightening to have her out and debt free.

Good luck! It has become crazy expensive.

We're fortunate - we live in a rather low cost of living area and bought our house smack in the middle of the housing crash, so we're able to live a mostly middle class lifestyle on a very average income, which for a family of five is low enough to get significant need-based aid from the private universities DD has applied to. She hasn't made a final choice, since we're still waiting on a couple of regular-decision responses, but the worst-case scenario based on net price calculators will cost us about $15K/year - still a lot less than the $25K an in-state public uni would cost. Merit aid at state schools is as competitive as admission to the Ivys, so that's not something we ever really factored in.

We're kind of winging it on the budget right now. I anticipated a lot of belt-tightening when DS started college last fall that didn't end up being necessary, thanks largely to a job he scored through one of his professors and the fact that I stumbled into a job too good to pass up just over a year ago. So at this point I'm just sort of taking a wait-and-see on DD's school choice. Only one of her most likely possibilities is projected to cost more than we already have in the budget for her high school tuition, and she has some money in a prepaid college plan from my inlaws to draw on for a boost in the first two years (which should see us through the two-in-college years, since DS is in a trade program).

But all three kids know that we won't cosign loans or borrow against the house or retirement funds for college - those are hard limits we established early on. And so far, they've made pretty good choices in terms of balancing affordability and practicality with their long-term goals.

Last edited:
I like to hear how other people are managing this because I think about it a lot but most people don't share the details. I know several of the girls' friends are at fairly expensive schools and their families don't make any more than we do. So I'm curious how much of it is debt.

DD's choice runs just under $16,000/year after auto merit, a small state school at which she squeaked into the highest merit bracket with her ACT. All her books and a laptop are included which helps. This is basically my top dollar that I think will be manageable. After she had a good visit there and it had what she wanted, I couldn't justify paying more anywhere else so I didn't let her consider anything more expensive. I have been mentally running numbers for months and this is what I've worked out:

Total cost x 4 = $64,000
Money back from tax credit ($10,000)
Money in her savings ($12,000)
Money from her/my existing side jobs ($8000)
Estimated outside or endowment scholarships ($5000 hopefully more)
Savings from moving off campus 2 years ($5000- maybe more)
Her earnings during college years ($10,000)

That leaves up to $14,000 over the four years that we can help with or she can borrow a little if things don't quite work out as planned. She is applying for every local or regional scholarship she can.

Next month she interviews for competitive merit and auditions for a theatre scholarship. One reason she is going to try to fit in a Theatre BA with her other major is for the additional scholarship opportunities. And she will be applying for the school's other endowed scholarships each year. The school has one for theatre majors based solely on GPA and the theatre professor we talked to said a lot don't fill out the app and miss out on this automatic money. It's just a few hundred but still- easy money! My DD at community college applies for a foundation scholarship every semester and has gotten one 4 out of 5 times, usually $1000. So my advice to kids is don't neglect to apply for the continuing student scholarships at your school!

We did find some cheaper options too, but the distance/travel hassle or lack of important features (like preferred major) have eliminated those.

I like to hear how other people are managing this because I think about it a lot but most people don't share the details. I know several of the girls' friends are at fairly expensive schools and their families don't make any more than we do. So I'm curious how much of it is debt.

DD's choice runs just under $16,000/year after auto merit, a small state school at which she squeaked into the highest merit bracket with her ACT. All her books and a laptop are included which helps. This is basically my top dollar that I think will be manageable. After she had a good visit there and it had what she wanted, I couldn't justify paying more anywhere else so I didn't let her consider anything more expensive. I have been mentally running numbers for months and this is what I've worked out:

Total cost x 4 = $64,000
Money back from tax credit ($10,000)
Money in her savings ($12,000)
Money from her/my existing side jobs ($8000)
Estimated outside or endowment scholarships ($5000 hopefully more)
Savings from moving off campus 2 years ($5000- maybe more)
Her earnings during college years ($10,000)

That leaves up to $14,000 over the four years that we can help with or she can borrow a little if things don't quite work out as planned. She is applying for every local or regional scholarship she can.

Next month she interviews for competitive merit and auditions for a theatre scholarship. One reason she is going to try to fit in a Theatre BA with her other major is for the additional scholarship opportunities. And she will be applying for the school's other endowed scholarships each year. The school has one for theatre majors based solely on GPA and the theatre professor we talked to said a lot don't fill out the app and miss out on this automatic money. It's just a few hundred but still- easy money! My DD at community college applies for a foundation scholarship every semester and has gotten one 4 out of 5 times, usually $1000. So my advice to kids is don't neglect to apply for the continuing student scholarships at your school!

We did find some cheaper options too, but the distance/travel hassle or lack of important features (like preferred major) have eliminated those.
We don’t know where DS is going yet but the only in state/public college he applied to is about $26k. We got financial aid letters from two he got into and the one he is considering would be $22k after scholarship and a $5k loan. We have 529s for the kids not not enough for four years of everything. Most likely we will reduce what we’re putting into our retirement while the kids are in college (six years total because they will overlap for two years). Right now we are maxing out. He (and my other DS, as well as their cousins) also just got a substantial money gift from his grandmother and he put it directly into savings, knowing he will have some college expenses. We want to be able to help as much as we can but probably “smaller” things like housing deposits and books will be on him...he also saved quite a bit from working last summer and will work again this summer. That said, I am still reminding him weekly to look into scholarships. Our electric company, of all things, funds four $1500 scholarships each year. One essay and the gpa requirement is very low (for him) so should be easy to apply at least.

Our GC just sent an email of scholarships with deadlines in January. The list was so ridiculously bad- only 1 could work for the majority of the class, the other 7-8 will work for none- they were for residents of other counties, applicants over 25 from third world countries, grad students or those with 3 years experience in government finance...he obviously paid absolutely no attention to whether any of them were useful to our students. He will get them all the local ones though, later in spring, and those are the ones she has a chance with, so whatever. Just thought it was weird for him to send these off-the-wall ones today.

Our rural electric does a scholarship too- DD20 got $750 from them so DD17 is definitely trying for that one. Need to think of a fresh story about why we appreciate the coop's work!

Our son found one scholarship opportunity that he applied for - a national Co-op scholarship that is applicable to any schools that do a formal engineering co-op program. It's $8,000 a year and they offer 140 of them, so there's hope on that one. I also had one opportunity through my work that he probably will apply to, but it's only $1,000 and a one-time scholarship, but hey, $1,000 is $1,000 less we'd have to pay! :p

Had a nice conversation with our son last night about his final decision. He still wants a day or two more to think it over a little more, but it's almost certain that he'll be going to RIT in the fall. :) Kind of House Hunters style, he pretty quickly told us he had removed Miami (OH) from his final 3. He just didn't feel like it was a good fit for him - he just put it on his final 3 as an in-state choice. He really liked the engineering program at Cincinnati, but didn't like the campus. He loved the Miami campus, so that's why he put it on his list, but in the end, he just didn't think the engineering program was up there with RIT. His final decision now is between RIT and Denver. What he's torn on is that he loved DU's campus (and Denver itself) so much and said he doesn't want to regret missing out on the opportunity to be in Denver, but did say he could always visit or work there one day - in fact, he's thinking he will try to find one of his co-ops out there during his 4 years. He's always been our practical kid.

All in one week, we will have one kid enrolled in college and the other one completing his high school applications.

I am new to this thread but have been a long-time DISer. My oldest is graduating this June and he has been accepted to Pitt-Johnstown, East Stroudsburg University and we are still waiting on Penn State, Ramapo and Montclair. I am going to have to go back and catch-up with everyone but I just wanted to jump in and say Hi :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter