Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DS graduated tonight. 2nd in his class by 1/100 of a point! Delivered the Salutatorian speech well and without a hitch. True to his personality of being more excited for others who achieve good things than himself, he included the story of a young man who faced many health challenges in his freshman year and was not expected to live much less graduate with a 3.0. Very touching story of perseverance, and determination from which DS made the point to his peers that no matter what obstacle they face, they too can meet it head on and over come it.

Mom might have choked up a couple of times, but my waterworks really start when we drop them off at college.

DS and I will go to orientation at his college on Tuesday already! Then drop off will be in August.

Exciting times for all! Savor every moment of it.

Interesting to read about all the different traditions at the various schools. :thumbsup2
DS had his last day of school on Friday. There was a breakfast and a barbecue lunch put on by the parents. They also end the day with the whole school in the gym. The class cup award is given out. There is a countdown at the end of the day where all the seniors then leave the gym and the juniors take their spot on the senior bleachers. It's a cute little tradition.
The next couple weeks will be filled with the rest of the season's baseball games, last band concert, senior banquet, awards night, prom and then graduation on June 3rd. :goodvibes

Last edited:
That's so beautiful!!

Sadly, DD's school doesn't allow the kids to decorate their caps.

Ours doesn't either although I doubt my daughter would anyway, that isn't her type of thing.

Her university actually sent her a decoration for her cap.

Tomorrow begins her last full week of school. She's missing a few days for orientation and a class trip.

Well as of just after 9 this morning, DD's track career is over too. Finished with 6th, 23rd, and 18th placings at State (out of 24). No school record achieved, but she did finally meet her goal on times for her 400s. She feels good about being done. It's been fun, but hard on her body. Weather was pretty crummy this weekend but didn't come out and pour at least. Chilly and misty.

Our kids did a walk through of the HS and elementary in their caps and gowns Wednesday. Tomorrow is a small reception for graduates at church and the ceremony in the afternoon.

So glad she met her personal goal.

We had senior night for lacrosse last week and for some unknown reason I wasn't a mess. BUT they made it to the playoffs for the first time since the lacrosse program started at our high school (only 4 years ago). They made it to the second round and had to play the #1 team yesterday BUT I was scheduled to work all day (11:30-8) I also missed the last 5 games bc of my job. Well I was a blubbering mess all morning and all the way into work. I tried to find someone to come in to replace my shift but couldn't find anyone:( My frontend manager and store manager found out it was my DD's last game ever and a playoff game and pushed me out the door at 3:00 on our busiest/craziest day!!! I cried the whole way there knowing they would most likely lose, but was extremely happy just to see her play one last time:-) and extremely sad at the same time:sad:

How nice of your managers!

DS graduated tonight. 2nd in his class by 1/100 of a point! Delivered the Salutatorian speech well and without a hitch. True to his personality of being more excited for others who achieve good things than himself, he included the story of a young man who faced many health challenges in his freshman year and was not expected to live much less graduate with a 3.0. Very touching story of perseverance, and determination from which DS made the point to his peers that no matter what obstacle they face, they too can meet it head on and over come it.

Mom might have choked up a couple of times, but my waterworks really start when we drop them off at college.

DS and I will go to orientation at his college on Tuesday already! Then drop off will be in August.

Exciting times for all! Savor every moment of it.

Congratulations to your DS. I agree that the hardest time will be college drop off. We will need a support group in August.

Congrats! Absolutely beautiful.

My frontend manager and store manager found out it was my DD's last game ever and a playoff game and pushed me out the door at 3:00 on our busiest/craziest day!!! I cried the whole way there knowing they would most likely lose, but was extremely happy just to see her play one last time:-) and extremely sad at the same time:sad:

View attachment 238263 This is my DD in the white/blue a few days prior

I'm so glad your manager let you out in time to see your DD play her final game. She looks absolutely focused ... nice action shot! The "motion W" on her shorts reminds me of the University of Wisconsin's "W".

Congratulations to your DS! What a bummer to miss being valedictorian by a measly 1/100th of a point! His speech sounds wonderful.

Interesting to read about all the different traditions at the various schools. :thumbsup2
DS had his last day of school on Friday. There was a breakfast and a barbecue lunch put on by the parents. They also end the day with the whole school in the gym. The class cup award is given out. There is a countdown at the end of the day where all the seniors then leave the gym and the juniors take their spot on the senior bleachers. It's a cute little tradition.
The next couple weeks will be filled with the rest of the season's baseball games, last band concert, senior banquet, awards night, prom and then graduation on June 3rd. :goodvibes
That countdown sounds very cool! A rite of passage for the juniors and the seniors.

Awesome! Congratulations!! My DD is also not allowed to decorate anything. I wish she could. but like @Poohforyou's DD I don't think she would.

That was awesome- I don't know what my daughter is doing for decorations but I know it is going to say "Never the less, she persisted" around the perimeter.
I think that's AWESOME!

Does anyone else feel like they are in a zombie like state trying to get through it all? We have SO much going on these last few weeks, and while it's all wonderful, I wish we could slow down and enjoy it a little more! 2 proms, baseball playoffs, senior awards night all down! I also worked the after prom party which was a ton of fun, but screwed up my sleeping schedule all weekend. :rotfl:We still have Baseball banquet, senior picnic/grad rehearsals, graduation, and graduation party all this week. Getting everything together for the party is enough, not to mention all the out of town house guests arriving throughout the week.

Oh, and did I mention DS graduates outside, and there is rain in the forecast for graduation day!?!? :( The contingency is to have it in the school auditorium, where each kid will only get 2 tickets.

OMG- I waited to long to arrange Thanksgiving travel home and back to college- the dang airfare went up from 104 to 300+ each way and many flights sold out for the sunday. Looks like it will be flying home and Amtrak back, 2 trains are sold out already too but one evening one is still open that is reasonably priced so I have to grab that tonight! I better book Christmas travel home and back while I am at it!

Does anyone else feel like they are in a zombie like state trying to get through it all? We have SO much going on these last few weeks, and while it's all wonderful, I wish we could slow down and enjoy it a little more! 2 proms, baseball playoffs, senior awards night all down! I also worked the after prom party which was a ton of fun, but screwed up my sleeping schedule all weekend. :rotfl:We still have Baseball banquet, senior picnic/grad rehearsals, graduation, and graduation party all this week. Getting everything together for the party is enough, not to mention all the out of town house guests arriving throughout the week.

Oh, and did I mention DS graduates outside, and there is rain in the forecast for graduation day!?!? :( The contingency is to have it in the school auditorium, where each kid will only get 2 tickets.

Two tickets?!?! I will keep my fingers crossed that your weather is nicer than the forecast.

Two tickets?!?! I will keep my fingers crossed that your weather is nicer than the forecast.

Our school gives 4 tickets for outside and 2 for inside. I assume they let people in the outside venue without tickets at some point before the ceremony.

There's only 3 of us going so it won't be a big deal in any event.

My DD's graduation will be at the Kohl Center (the UW's basketball and hockey venue) which holds up to 17,000 people. There is no limit on how many people who can come, LOL!

Our school gives 4 tickets for outside and 2 for inside. I assume they let people in the outside venue without tickets at some point before the ceremony.

There's only 3 of us going so it won't be a big deal in any event.

My DD's graduation will be at the Kohl Center (the UW's basketball and hockey venue) which holds up to 17,000 people. There is no limit on how many people who can come, LOL!

Our high school graduates in an (indoor) arena that means tickets don't need to be limited. It's a little less personal, but I do like that we don't need to worry about the weather or how many people we can bring. We don't usually have a lot of people joining us for graduation, but I have three children. I'd hate for them to have to miss a sibling's graduation (though they probably wouldn't care that much). My parents also came for the older two and most likely will for my last, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter