Parents of teens with jobs...

We took some heat for skipping a family party last weekend, but we made the choice to socially distance ourselves and it seemed completely counter productive to go to that event. There were older folks who already have medical issues, many people with kids (and school based transmission had just been announced here), and others working in the service industry. Frankly, them holding that party was no different than people going to the bars on Saturday for St Pat's.

My senior works at Burger King and no we haven't put any limits on him working right now. I will say I feel better when he's not, but on the other hand there are tons of ppl. still working and we're no better or more special than them. We've just been really stressing the importance of distance and washing, washing, washing. I may be more hesitant if we had someone in the highest risk category at home, but luckily we do not.

There are tons of people still working...and infecting others without even knowing it. I don’t think a kid working at Burger King is a critical job right now. If more people just stayed home, this would end quicker and kill less. But as long as this thinking prevails we are going to be dealing with this a lot longer and seeing a lot more deaths. Sad when just staying home could save lives.

Could be. Unfortunately until the department of defense (he works on a military installation) decides to close the food places someone will be working. In some ways it's probably better it's him as opposed to someone more vulnerable or someone with those more vulnerable at home. Like I said I feel better when he's not working but for now the government feels his place of employment needs to stay open...probably for all the soldiers living in barracks and still working every day, so he's still choosing to do his part.

My kids work at a retirement home. Of course I am allowing them to work otherwise it would be very hard to feed all the grandparents their dinners. They are secluded in their rooms and meals are delivered to each room now. They are miserable but love seeing the kids still coming to work to take care of them.

My daughter was just laid off from Panera. She was working 30+ hours a weekk study) and finishing high school. She is sad but I feel better knowing shes home and not exposed to everyone.

Several thoughts, somewhat contradictory to one another:

- I understand that lots of families are in trouble right now because of reduced hours, etc. If the teen's earnings are NEEDED by the family, it's a no-brainer. If the family NEEDS the money, take all possible precautions and go to work.
- Do consider that many businesses are making choices to keep workers /shoppers safer; for example, restaurants closing dining rooms and providing take-out only.
- If the teen is working for the sake of learning responsibility, to provide pocket money, etc., then I'd say STOP. We've closed schools so that kids don't get sick. Why allow them to be out and about more than is necessary?
- With businesses in trouble and adults needing the work, this may not be -- in the long run -- the teen's choice. The boss may make the choice for the workers.
- To some extent, it might matter what the job is. For example, working in a restaurant /passing food out to picker-uppers doesn't mean a whole lot of contact with the general public, whereas driving for Uber means being enclosed in a vehicle with a stranger.

Last edited:
My 20 year old works at the local grocery. They have been advised that if they call off and they do not have a doctors note showing they are ill, they will be fired. She said that she feels it is her obligation to this country (due to a pre-existing condition to was not permitted to join the military, her dream) to continue going to work so that people can get in and out a bit faster. She has agreed though to not pick up more than her regularly scheduled hours. She goes there and comes home. The rest of us stay home to avoid sharing anything she may have caught. She gets any groceries we need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter