Parents of Class of 2018 thread

In the middle of band camp, son is drum major. He is very excited for the season.

We will schedule classes this week with his guidance counselor. He needs to get himself organized to get those College apps in, as well as start thinking about his National Merit application package. Graduation will be here before you know it.

We did our first college tour today. She loved the college. Thought the admissions information session was horrible. I think we just had a bad presenter. Luckily all of the info we want can be found online because she said she wants to apply.

We are looking for another college tour to do this fall. Most likely just the nearby college. She said if she can't get in the college we toured today, she'll just do a nearby college and transfer in to the one she wants after getting some of her core classes taken care of.

I was like :banana: that she has a plan for college in her mind now.

Just found this thread... kinda sad my baby is a senior! Seems like I was just going through this with his brother, but that was 4 years ago. At least I know he will be staying here for at least two more years after he graduates to start culinary school here. He started classes for that last year and will take the second level this year. He also gets to do dual credit for English 1&2 and Government and Economics. The only class he has to take is Gov/Econ, but he wants to do the dual credit English, take Algebra 3 and Marine Biology to raise his GPA, and then he is taking a sports class and psychology as fillers too, plus band. We had to go meet with his counselor to get his schedule finalized so it should all be good to go. They just started their first of 3 weeks of band camp. Because we are in the path of the eclipse, school will start the day after that. At least they will still graduate Memorial Day weekend! Oh, it's going to be a year of tears for me...

How can it be time for school to start already?

In the middle of band camp, son is drum major. He is very excited for the season.

We will schedule classes this week with his guidance counselor. He needs to get himself organized to get those College apps in, as well as start thinking about his National Merit application package. Graduation will be here before you know it.

We too are in the middle of band camp. My daughter is Trumpet Section Leader and I am the Booster Treasurer. It's already getting crazy! No more weekends to ourselves until the second week in December! Well except bye week for football in a couple of weeks which is when I'm sneaking off for a moms only WDW trip!

My son graduated in June but he wasn't interested in most of the expensive stuff. I know I'm not getting off cheap with this one though!

My DD spent last couple of days getting freshman welcome day put together with other ambassadors. Was fun listening to her reminiscing from her freshman welcome.
Monday is first day of school. All the senior girls made tye dye shirts, has been a long standing tradition!

ACT is 9/9 and she has been doing final edits on Main essay and starting to work on common application. Will have meetings with her school counselor in a few weeks to double check things before sending everything on its way.

My kids got their schedules yesterday, and there was the usual flurry of texts, ig posts, snaps..
my daughters friend says, "it's kind of sad. That was the last time waiting for my schedule and seeing if my friends are in my classes...."
Waaahhh!

So I'm guessing everyone has either started school or will go back Tuesday. Are parents ready for senior year?

DD17 is still making me nervous. She had a little flurry of interest in looking at schools at the end of July. Otherwise, she is once again saying she's just going to the main state school and doesn't want to look anywhere else.

Should I just let her or try to encourage her to look around? Her sister graduated from there so we like the school itself and it has all the majors she is considering. I just think she might do better in a smaller school.

The other issue is that we want to move several states away in 2 years and she is ticked we might "leave her".

She also doesn't want to take the ACT again. DH wants her to take a class but if she raises it 3 points, she might be eligible for $1000 scholarship. I don't think the cost of the class and another test are worth it. Fairly confident she'll get in with current stats and her grades are excellent.

Anyone see a significant bump after a class?

My son raised his 4 points....not sure it was the class, or just familiarity with the test. My daughter raised hers one point.

He has started his senior year! He is in men's chorus and on the drama team. Hoping for a great year for him.

He still has no plans other than "I will just go to community college." OY. 3.85 GPA, no C's. But his ACT is just mediocre. He could def. at least go to the local 4 year state school. I think that would motivate him better than CC, but we will see.

I just saw this-congrats on drum major!

My son is taking the ACT one last time in October. He has scored pretty well on the previous tests already but he has a personal goal for himself and he wants to try one more time to see if he can get there. Our last college tour is in two weeks. This is his personal favorite and the school he will more than likely attend.

For us, school has been in session for almost a month now (started on August 10th). We are gearing up for Homecoming which is in 2 1/2 weeks. I know this year is going to just fly by. Good luck to everyone and enjoy the year.

Met with DD counselor yesterday, has all of her recommendation letters requested and will be starting to fill out applications this weekend. Thankfully 4 of her schools are common app, other 2 are their own version.
Counselor gave some great tips and I was impressed in how much they help with the process.

Fittings for cap and gowns tomorrow!
I've already submitted her yearbook photo and senior page, DD having a tough time picking her quote.

Will be nice to have everything submitted and that pressure of her shoulders.

We go to DL next week with her dance group, looking forward to our magical get away! Only bummer is DD will be missing homecoming.

DS is Starting College Applications and he is submitting his National Merit Scholarship application as well. Thankfully he can use the same essay for both.

Senior dues are due.

DD got her first acceptance for college. DS hasn't even started an application. Sigh. Such a difference between my twins. Now that she has been accepted at what *was* her first choice school, she's waffling on whether to go there. Which leaves me scratching my head. LOL. She is applying to two more schools, one of which is a financial long shot (she will likely get accepted, but probably won't get enough aid to make it doable for us), and the other a bit of a stretch for admission. I wish I could get DS to focus on this! He's attended the U of M this year as a dual enrolled student, and he's pretty sure he wants to attend the U as a degree seeking student, but he still needs to APPLY!

Well, my daughter just asked for her Common App password, so looks like she's doing something. Lol

ACT results in. Overall was 28. DD was hoping for 30, but happy with it.

DD got her first college acceptance last week! Homecoming is this week, the first quarter ends next week. She is excited to have a few fly in opportunities to schools coming up.

Expenses: senior portraits, graduation (cap & gown, announcements), AP exams and college apps. Everything is adding up quickly!

Congratulations to your DD!!!

My DD filled out everything on common app today. Just need letters attached. Has two other schools to apply so will work on those next.

Ordered graduation stuff, thankfully grandma pays for all that, have a little left from that so will go towards her graduation dress. Figuring $1,000 will be total of all senior year costs! Been doing a little bit at a time and putting $ aside too. Senior photos and yearbook senior page are done and paid for.

@mommy2mrb Thank you! My DD hasn't finished her common app yet, yours is ahead of the game!!

First fly in is this weekend! She takes a plane, bus and car service to get there. I guess this will help decide if it is worth the travel to go to school there.

Last edited:
DD got a small, but nice, scholarship to her first choice school. Just completed housing application form (and paid a deposit). Things are getting real. She truly WILL graduate. She has also decided she will take no regular classes third trimester. Instead, she's doing an internship at a history museum (history is her passion, and she hopes to be a teacher someday), an internship at a district elementary school, and a project with one of the history teachers on the history of her high school. She put this all together herself. I LOVE that she has found her passion, and a way to put it into action. She astounds me most days.

My son is now focused on the school of Science and Engineering at the U of Minnesota. I think it's a good choice for him...perhaps not optimal, but it will do the trick. He's taking dual enrolled courses there now, and navigating the whole experience quite nicely. Now, if he would just fill out the application! LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter