Panic 12 days out--passport problem? Update--all is well

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by SSDonut, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. SSDonut

    SSDonut DIS Veteran

    Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not supposed to find myself in this boat--12 days before my first cruise. . .no puns intended, really, I just can't help myself, I started making puns--unknowingly--when I married my husband almost 9 years ago. . and there's the root of the problem--marrying my husband. . .

    I'm getting ready to do online check-in for our 4/9 Wonder cruise. Suddenly I realize that my passport uses my MAIDEN NAME! OF course it does, the only reason I have one is that we went to Ireland on our honeymoon. 9 years and 2 kids later and you won't be surprised to know that I've not used it since shortly after our wedding.

    I have our marriage license, signed, stamped, lists my maiden name and one of my girls birth certificates lists my maiden name also, and my passport is obviously me, although I look a lot younger, have darker hair and there's a certain, I don't know. .. joie de vivre. . . .am I panicking for nothing, or should I DO SOMETHING? What, I have no clue. Of course, everyone else in the family has an official birth certificate right at MY fingers, but not ME!

    Oh, please tell me this is no big deal. . .I swear I'll spread as much pixie dust as is in my power from now until I get a new passport with my "Real" name!!


    THANK YOU EVERYONE for all your advice and suggestions. I called DCL and the rep said they will compare the birthdate on my driver's license with that on my passport and it will be fine. I will bring my marriage license along too.

    PHEW!! :teeth:
  2. dis4me

    dis4me <font color=navy>Has experienced the original Magi

    Jun 18, 2000
    They will just use your maiden name on your cruise docs. When you get to the port they will have to make you a new KTTW card with the name on your passport for customs and immigration.I would call DCL in the am just to make sure though and carry your marriage certificate and if poosible get a copy of your bc.
    Good luck
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

    to hide this advert.
  4. captaincrash

    captaincrash <font color=darkorchid>!!!Surrender over yer LOOT!

    Feb 23, 2005
    Call DCL...

    .. I did not think you needed a passport until 2007 fort carribean visits. But then again - what do I know? I'm the husband and my wife takes care of all the passports and birth certificates.

    Cheers! :confused3

    CJLKIM Planning our WONDERful adventure to see how it com

    Jun 15, 2005
    captaincrash is right - you don't technically have to have a passport yet so it might just be easier for you to use your birth certificate and drivers license.
  6. lbgraves

    lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

    Feb 25, 2003
    Just use your BC. You don't have to change your name with that. Not sure about if your PP is different but why go thru the hassle if you don't need to. :)
  7. tvguy

    tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

    Dec 15, 2003
    Drivers license is all you need for now. Leave the birth certificate and passport at home. But when you get back, make a note to renew it in your married name. While they "expire" in 10 years, there must be six months remaining before the expiration date, and if you got it 9 years ago, it probably is very close to 6 months before expiration anyway.
  8. pppiglet

    pppiglet DIS Cast Member<br><font color=deeppink>Don't like

    Jul 31, 2004
    She doesn't have a birth certificate. She has everyone else's from what I read and I was told you had to have a birth certificate if you didn't have a passport.

    Dis4me seems to have the best answer.
  9. rbork

    rbork DIS Veteran

    Apr 23, 2004
    Call your local Birth/Records office. For a small fee - they'll overnight you a Birth Certificate.

    It's easy to get one since she might not have one already.
  10. martinezfamily1126

    martinezfamily1126 Mouseketeer

    Mar 14, 2006

    That varies by state. I live in jersey and we have to go to the state capital and get it if we need it right away. If we want it mailed we pay $25 for the BC wait 18 days for processing then they overnight it to you for an additional $22.00. Just take you passport, Drivers liscence, and marraige certificate.
  11. WiscBill

    WiscBill Mouseketeer

    Oct 27, 2005
    Dis4Me has it right. My wife has a passport with her maiden name. We used it on the Eastern Cruise with no problem. Your KTTW card needs to match the name on the passport.

    The only catch is that you may need to carry a copy of your children's birth certificate with you if you are the only one accompanying off the ship for a shore excursion. It's just a precaution since you and your children will have different last names and security may ask for some record. Never happened on our cruise however since the parents full names are listed in the database for each child. However, sometimes those computer terminals are not working properly and they needed to do the check-in; check-out manually.
  12. lovinaz

    lovinaz I've never met a piece of cheesecake I didn't like

    Apr 26, 2005
    I booked the cruise WAY before I got married, and the cruise was in my maiden name, as was my passport. My credit card is in my married name. I took my marriage license just in case, but never had a single question raised. As for the kids, when you go ashore, they do not require any identification to get back on if they are under 18, just their KTTW card. We never had a problem with the mixed hodge-podge of names...

    To avoid any potential hassles, just take your DL and BC (instead of your passport) and marriage license just to be safe.
  13. one princess

    one princess Mouseketeer

    May 9, 2005
    I have traveled with my passport that is in my maiden name many times including DCL in Jan. 05. I just take my marriage license. (which is in German and no one can read it. Actually I am not sure we are really married :rotfl2: ) I have never had a problem and my KTTW card was in my married name.
    Make sure your passport is not expired though. It sounds like it has been close to 10 years.

    Jackie :sunny:
  14. Enna

    Enna This space for rent.<br><font color=red>So where's

    Feb 6, 2005
    I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Share This Page