Panama Canal Cruise Advice

Pluto1976

Mouseketeer
I am looking for advice on what one would expect on a EBPC cruise.

We are thinking of booking the Sept 2014 one on the Wonder. We have been on 3/4 night and 7-nighters in the past, but never a 14-night with all of those sea days. Is going thru the PC just something that has to be experienced? I do have a fear I may get a bit bored with all of those consecutive sea days as we are not real good at just lying still in the sun for too long (although we do enjoy it here and there with a good book and an adult beverage). Are there plenty of activities to keep one occupied?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I'm going on that cruise! It's going to be awesome. We are having morning yoga, book exchange (in front of my door. Take a book/leave a book), a few tastings, maybe a group brunch, I know a couple of us have talked about board games and trivia afternoons. Go look at the meet up thread.

My grandparents (when I came back from my last cruise asked "and what did you book on board?" They know. They started the cruise addiction.) as soon as I told them where I was going at the same time said "that's my favorite trip!" Mind you these people are world travelers and have gone on some AMAZING vacations (the type everyone here would be envious of) and have gone on the Panama Canal cruises multiple times.

I'm gonna' be nursing a new tattoo too! :D

We did the 15 day PC on the Wonder and loved every minute. There were so many things scheduled on sea days (lectures, presentations, movies, games, cooking classes, receptions) we couldn't get to them all. Don't worry, you will wish it wouldn't end.

I am looking for advice on what one would expect on a EBPC cruise.

We are thinking of booking the Sept 2014 one on the Wonder. We have been on 3/4 night and 7-nighters in the past, but never a 14-night with all of those sea days. Is going thru the PC just something that has to be experienced? I do have a fear I may get a bit bored with all of those consecutive sea days as we are not real good at just lying still in the sun for too long (although we do enjoy it here and there with a good book and an adult beverage). Are there plenty of activities to keep one occupied?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I'll let you know in about 23 days when we finish this cruise!! We are so excited! The longer crises are the best. We did the WBTA a couple years ago and that is our favorite cruise so far.

Here are a few things to do:

1. Don't miss the lectures with Capt Puckett. He is very informative, and is truly an expert on the Panama canal. He was an expert witness on the senate proceedings regarding turning the canal over to Panama,
  2. Get up early on Panama Canal day and don't waste a minute enjoying the day.
  3. Take a camera and get lots of pictures, but don't forget to look without the camera. It's a great day. So much so, that we're doing it again and our "cruise buddies" are doing it for the 3rd time.
  4. If you have a veranda room, you will see the canal locks differently than if you are up on deck 10.
  5. If you are into how the canal was built, read "The Path between the Seas" by David McCullough. It really helped my wife and me appreciate the canal even more.

We board the Wonder a week from this Saturday for this year's EBPC, and we can't wait!

I'll second (third? fourth? fifth?) the previous opinions, DO THE CANAL IF YOU CAN! We did the EBPC this past December, thought it was absolutely breathtaking.

Don't despair about the sea days...it was actually the main reason we chose this cruise...so much more happening on the ship those days compared to port days, you'll barely have a chance to register any boredom. Plus, there are Palo brunches, the opportunity to try out the various lunch options, afternoons in the Cove Cafe.....)...

One last piece of advice, if you do decide to go...try to get some different perspectives on the locks. We saw one set of locks from outside on Deck 10 - a great "overhead" view...another set from the promenade on Deck 4 - a "just on top" view...and finally...and perhaps most stunningly...from our Deck 2 porthole room, where we actually saw the walls of the locks slip by as the ship rose. Knowing that the huge ship is only 18" away from a sheer wall is one thing...SEEING that wall slide past you 18" away is quite another!

Rich from California

We did the WBPC in May. The PC transit was on my husband's bucket list and it didn't disappoint. Captain Puckett's lectures are invaluable to understanding and enjoying the transit.

We lucked out by having a balcony on the starboard (right) side and the ship was directed into the left lane of the canal that meant that we were on the side with all the 'action' such as the locomotives, the parallel transit lane, the PC crew on the ground (one PC employee even threw me a Panamanian quarter as a souvenir). But, it's a crapshoot, since the ship could just have easily been directed into the right lane. The best thing was having a large container ship enter the other lane about 20 minutes behind us going in the same direction--that allowed us to fully see everything that was happening to our ship happen to them, such as the locks opening and closing, the ship rising or falling; we even shouted back and forth with the crew of the container ship.

The sea days seemed to pass quickly (we've also been on the TransAtlantic). We walked for exercise, relaxed and read, went to the great lectures by Captain Puckett and a Disney animator, always went to lunch in the dining room and asked for a shared table to meet new people. The weather in May was very hot, which limited our time in the sun.

Had a great time at Castaway Cay and at the other three ports. We arranged a private tour in Cartagena for just the two of us. It is a beautiful and historic city. Our guide was wonderful and we were able to see what we wanted at our own pace; also, not being in a large tourist group, kept vendors at a respectful distance since we were alone with a local. In Puerto Vallarta, we did a Disney excursion to a gated beach resort--it was one of the loveliest resorts we've seen. Having been to Cabo before, we took the Disney excursion to San Juan Del Cabo, a small village with an old Spanish mission where we browsed the shops and had a drink while chatting with locals.

We're very glad we did the PC transit cruise. For us it was a one-time experience; now on to many more places on our bucket lists...

I'll be on that cruise so I'm enjoying reading along. :)

It has been my favorite cruise. I agree read The Path Between The Seas. I started the book 6 weeks before the canal. I agree go to Capt Pucket's he was wonderful I think there were 3 or 4 over the course of the cruise. Ducky Williams do not miss! They have different entertainment than on regular cruises. Get up early on canal day.

Here are a few things to do:

[*]Don't miss the lectures with Capt Puckett. He is very informative, and is truly an expert on the Panama canal. He was an expert witness on the senate proceedings regarding turning the canal over to Panama,
[*]Get up early on Panama Canal day and don't waste a minute enjoying the day.
[*]Take a camera and get lots of pictures, but don't forget to look without the camera. It's a great day. So much so, that we're doing it again and our "cruise buddies" are doing it for the 3rd time.
[*]If you have a veranda room, you will see the canal locks differently than if you are up on deck 10.
[*]If you are into how the canal was built, read "The Path between the Seas" by David McCullough. It really helped my wife and me appreciate the canal even more.

We board the Wonder a week from this Saturday for this year's EBPC, and we can't wait!

Thanks for the advice, we'll be boarding with you!

Do you know if they replay Capt Puckett's lectures on the TV? There is always so much going on, I'm bound to have a conflicting event at least once. It would be nice to know if I can catch it later.

Do you know if they replay Capt Puckett's lectures on the TV? There is always so much going on, I'm bound to have a conflicting event at least once. It would be nice to know if I can catch it later.

Yes! They do replay Capt Puckett's lectures on TV. I am also boarding with you:cool1: Soooo excited to be crossing the canal again.

In May we were on the WBPC cruise. Never was bored - I think this was my favorite DCL cruise (out of 12). It was our 2nd canal transit on DCL.

First day was Castaway Cay. We actually did a kayak excursion here - usually we just get floats and bob the day away in the ocean. The excursion was great!

On sea days....
We usually walked several miles in the morning before breakfast and getting cleaned up (and didn't get up that early). So we missed some of the cooking demos and Captain Puckett talks, and the morning show with the cruise director and assistant cruise directors (remember these were things we would have liked to do, but missed - and there were many other scheduled activities).

Spent afternoons by the pool reading or visiting with friends (current table mates and prior cruise table mates) and/or participating in activities.

Evenings were dinner - they always went "long" - we had a great table - none of the couples knew each other before the cruise and we had a great time - and our restaurant didn't have a late seating - so we were not hurried out. Never made it to any of the "family" cabaret, but went to all of the main stage (Walt Disney Theater) shows, then the adult late night show in Wavebands.

Really, very few "down" moments on the cruise. Port days we did excursions - and had a great time on them!

In 14 days, there really were a lot of things that we did not / could not do. It's always a tough job picking the "best" or most desired activity out of everything offered. Sometimes we had plans to participate, but then we would run into friends (yes all of our table mates became friends), or officers or crew and we would end up visiting for a long time and "miss out" on other things. But BEST always wins out over "good" or even "better".

I have started saying this - after 12 cruises on DCL (or maybe I just getting "old"), it's not the "bells and whistles" of the ships that make the cruises special, it's the people!! New Friends, Staff, and Crew is more important to me than the AquaDuck, Mid Ship Detective Agency / Magic Pictures, 3d Movies, etc. It's the people. And Disney had lots of very good ones. Captain Fabian Dib and Cruise Director Jimmy were outstanding on our cruise!!!

I agree with a prior poster - experience going through the lock from different levels of the ship. It is different up on deck 10 vs. deck 4 on the promenade.

It's a great 2 weeks!!

One of the highlights was the Crew Talent Show - that IS A NOT TO BE MISSED experience. Granted, each time they do this, there is a different crew complement, and therefore different acts. But all I can say is ---- WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

They do replay them, but at least for me it was hard to time it right. The lectures are PACKED, rarely a seat available. It is the only time I've been in the theater when there wasn't a seat to be had.

I think the biggest difference in the Panama Canal cruise is the number of adults vs. the number of kids. Way more adults, and I think Disney didn't do a good job of adjusting the activities to more adult things. All of the cooking shows, tours, game shows, etc. that were geared toward adults were overcrowded. The adult pool was packed all the time, and they allowed CM (or maybe they were staff for different shows or activities) to use the adult pools - and they weren't all that polite. When I'm king, those people won't be allowed at the Cove pool but be required to use the crew pool. I'll also turn down the music at the mickey/goofy pools so more adults can use those.

I never lacked things to do, but rarely could find a chair on the 4th deck, and I'd been on the Wonder at Christmas, total sell out, and never had that problem. That was my biggest disappointment, that I couldn't just sit and read on deck 4.

One thing to be aware of, Panama is HOT and HUMID. I was averaging 4 shirts a day (and not because I was spilling on them, which is often an issue). Just hot and sweaty. I was fine in Mexico, and it was down right cold and windy sailing up the baja coast, but Panama day was HOT and it poured rain for more than an hour.

Nancy

Its a cruise to go on. Wear a lot of suntan lotion when going through Panama since the sun is killer. It gets crowded at front of ship so stay on the side and eventually the front thins out. Go to or watch lecture on the canal. The also do a family version. I got sick on the Pacific side and only got off in one port. After 10 days wanted off. They showed a lot of movies including Classics like Cassablanca. Had some great entertainment.

Loved all the sea days and could have used more; I had to skip one or more things every day because the schedule was so full. After 14 nights I could have stayed on for another week without a second thought. You will have a great time if you book. I didn't really care about the Canal itself until we were there and the excitement was contagious.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Holy Cow! We leave in 7 days for the EBPC cruise. I should get a suitcase out...

Just curious about timing on canal day. Headed east, when do the locks start happening? How many are there (for different picture taking opportunities)? Once in the locks, how long does that process take?

Thanks - we'll see some of you very soon!

Wow, thanks for all of the great information and advice from everyone!!

It sounds as if this is a cruise we should be seriously considering and will not be bored.

Question: If we do decide to book, it will probably be a verandah room so is there a "better" side to be on i.e., starboard or port?

Thanks again!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter