Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live about an hour from Disney. I’ve been to Disney twice since I’ve lived here. In those two time once was a probably historically low attendance day the day after a hurricane, and it was wonderful. I even figured out how to get my ticket on myDisney and got a fast pass for the only ride that had a wait.

The second time myDisney lost my ticket and would not allow me to make FPS even though I was staying onsite. My Disney fanatic sister was able to add me to her group, and got me FPs, but despite making them 60 days in advance we still couldn’t get the latest rides.

After that experience I found going to Universal was much less of a hassle, and the Harry Potter worlds are awesome.

However, if Disney made a way for me to buy FPs the day of my visit I’d pony up for an annual pass and be there every month.

Right now I feel that I’m at a huge disadvantage going to Disney. Those who understand all the rules and in many cases how to get around the rules for making fast passes get the more desirable rides. Those who are used to the idiosyncrasies of the Disney app are able to refresh and get more FPS while I can’t even get it to show my FPs.

I’m willing to pay more to be even with the folks that know the system well. I’m not willing to pay at all to go and get less of an experience.

Some thoughts:
Even with relatives who work at Universal- we go once or twice a year and there are aspects we do enjoy, but, overall, it misses for me on so many levels. Harry Potter is cool but doesnt have the return value for us. The roller coasters are ok but, eh, BG in Tampa and Sea World have better coasters and the parks are easier to navigate. The other "rides" and I use that term loosely because almost everything they build now outside of potter land is a screen ride and some of them are really really bad or carbon copies of another in the park, are just eh.
We did one day at Universal, One Day At sea World, one day at BG, and 5 days at Disney parks over a 9 day span last week and the reality is WDW is much better than Universal and for our money so are BG and SW.

As far as the FPs at Disney, noone here is finding ways around rules or break any rules or create shortcuts to maximizing use of the FP+ and Refresh combo. Its just a matter of practice. Just because some understand it and have pretty much perfected it doesnt mean they should start charging for FPs and thats not why they would do that anyway. If they can make a buck and it works for them, they will. Doesnt mean it will be better for everyone after the fact. Since you live so close, you dont have to pay more. Learning and practicing FP+/Refresh should be easy. We are 6 hours away and in 5 or 6 trips a year have mastered it. You shouldnt want to pay more to be "even" with those who get the system. Simply learn how to use it the way they do. My youngest daughter lives in Tampa and goes on a whim and takes friends from USF or other friends. She works at BG parks and she has learned how to use the FP+/Refresh system and goes all the time. That would be my suggestion.

My only issue with a paid system at WDW, is twofold: If the average guest who doesnt go a lot doesnt understand it now, how much more confusing will it be with a "you get 3 free but only for certain things and you have to pay for others" system and second the fact I can already ride pretty much whatever I want right now at anytime or within a reasonable time for free using FP+ and refresh.

Yes, the argument that a paid system will make it easier makes no sense. It's reportedly the same system overlaid with a paid tier that will suck out the best rides. It will only make it more complicated and harder to understand.

There are no scenarios I can imagine that a paid system will make it a better experience for my family. As such, we are worried this next trip may be our last. I hope not, but there it is.

The article states it is " expected to debut ahead of the 50th Anniversary celebration that begins in 2021."- I would almost think they would roll it out sometime in 2020 to hope to have some of the "kinks" and "bugs" worked out before the 50th anniversary happens in 2021.

I’ve been to Universal twice and never needed any sort of express pass. Rides were all walk on or minimal wait

The article states it is " expected to debut ahead of the 50th Anniversary celebration that begins in 2021."- I would almost think they would roll it out sometime in 2020 to hope to have some of the "kinks" and "bugs" worked out before the 50th anniversary happens in 2021.

So is there an article that says this is really going to happen? Sorry to ask, I just don't have time to scroll back through a hundred pages to find out.

I still don't understand why they keep trying to improve FP when the old system was great already.

Simple. Because Disney is ALWAYS looking for ways to make more money.

If you have never read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, I highly suggest it. In it, the head of the meatpacking plant says of pigs, "We use everything but the oink." In that era, small time butchers mostly sold the meat, and had to toss the scraps (though in some cases they were able to sell pigs feet and scrapple.) The big meatpackers turned those scraps into money (like pet food). Even if the scraps only sold for pennies/pound, the scraps changed from a loss into a small way to make $.

Pennies per pig = no more small butchers.

I don't know the exact details of how Disney uses our data to make $, but welcome to 2019. Information about us is now a commodity. When we tour Disney, we tell WDW all kinds of things about us: our budget ,how active we are, what kind of food we like, how much we eat....

Big companies have found myriad ways to make money off our data. They found a way to make money off the scraps that used to be thrown away.

To be fair, it isn't just money. It is also the law of the jungle: Eat or be eaten. (the other metaphorical jungle) Disney has to stay ahead to stay alive.

Last edited:
As far as the FPs at Disney, noone here is finding ways around rules or break any rules or create shortcuts to maximizing use of the FP+ and Refresh combo. Its just a matter of practice. Just because some understand it and have pretty much perfected it doesnt mean they should start charging for FPs and thats not why they would do that anyway. If they can make a buck and it works for them, they will. Doesnt mean it will be better for everyone after the fact. Since you live so close, you dont have to pay more. Learning and practicing FP+/Refresh should be easy. We are 6 hours away and in 5 or 6 trips a year have mastered it. You shouldnt want to pay more to be "even" with those who get the system. Simply learn how to use it the way they do. My youngest daughter lives in Tampa and goes on a whim and takes friends from USF or other friends. She works at BG parks and she has learned how to use the FP+/Refresh system and goes all the time. That would be my suggestion.

If people weren’t finding ways around rules we wouldn’t hear about changes to close loopholes. I’m sure When Disney came up with the 60 day window for onsite reservations they never envisioned people making reservations and then cancelling or changing them after they make FPs, and yet here they are.

As for the people who learn, practice, and perfect how to get FP+/refresh system I have no problem with that, I just would rather pay for it than learn, practice, and perfect. I don’t think anyone is saying they are taking away the present system, they are just offering those of us that don’t want to put that effort in a way to get the same experience for a price.

The way it sounds is this will be across the board whether you are staying onsite or not. I do wonder how it will work with APs though.
At DL it’s a $100 add for APs (Maxpass is different than what has been described here, but pricing could be comparable)

If this starts before our May 2020 trip, I doubt we'll purchase fast passes.

I'd rather do a couple of Disney after dark events (if available) than spend the money on fast passes.

Living on the edge, taking our chances with rope drop and the lowly free fast passes...
:rotfl:

So you will paying for something that used to be included?

I am not sure how anyone could see anything positive in this.
Anyone that has been going to Disney for years keeps slowly paying for things that were free in the past . One example is resort parking . You are paying to park your car why so they can have less people bring cars and keep people from going off site to eat , shop and go to competitors parks .

Anyone that has been going to Disney for years keeps slowly paying for things that were free in the past . One example is resort parking . You are paying to park your car why so they can have less people bring cars and keep people from going off site to eat , shop and go to competitors parks .
I stopped renting a car with the rise of Lyft. It's cheaper and easier to use them than it is to rent. As long as Disney does not mess with Uber/Lyft I won't pitch a fit about parking costs.

I know it’s all profit driven... but back in the day you didn’t feel squeezed for blood. Look at the prices of Tokyo Disney and look at the quality of their product, which is owned not by Disney.

Japanese companies, while motivated by profit, are also motivated by doing this to the best of one's ability, maybe to the expense of next quarters profit being quite so high doesn't always work, but it often can.

I stopped renting a car with the rise of Lyft. It's cheaper and easier to use them than it is to rent. As long as Disney does not mess with Uber/Lyft I won't pitch a fit about parking costs.

That’s a good option for people who aren’t local. We stay overnight nearby 2-3 times a year. We were already staying on property less and less as the prices went up, but charging us to park our car was the last straw. We live an hour away; we can’t take the “free” magical express from the airport, but we’re expected to subsidize the out of towners rides on the magical express by parking our local car in their hotel lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!