Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking out loud because I know no details have been announced yet, but...

Could another possible on site perk (in addition to transportation) be access to these paid passes? On site visitors get a bundle of 3 passes for less money than off site visitors? Or maybe on site visitors get the “privilege” (!) of purchasing passes in advance (similar to what is done now). OR, maybe onsite visitors can access a wider pool of rides/experiences (i.e. onsite guests would be able to purchase FPs for both Star Wars rides and maybe designated show/fireworks viewing as opposed to maybe 1 Star Wars ride and no designated show areas for offsite visitors).

I do think, like others have said, the CL FP program was a test for this. I know when I looked into that program, the rep for Dolphin said the program was VERY popular and she didn't think it would end anytime soon (pure speculation on her part, obviously).

A LOT less.
They didn't really have a lot less when the current FastPass+ System started in January 2014 (prior to the current system the major benefits of staying on-site was the EMH, which personally I felt were much longer but I'd have to go look historically, and transportation). One of the new build-outs were the Villas at the Grand Floridian (147 rooms), the other new hotels rooms (mostly DVC) were replacements of rooms equal or less than those that they replaced. So from the on-site Disney owned hotels they didn't really have less Resorts than they do today. In the next few years Riviera is coming online but not adding a ton since it removed CBR rooms, and Reflections is the first true large-scale buildout since AoA opened. Though I agree they added the DS hotels, but they haven't officially been extended past 2019 I thought.

They didn't really have a lot less when the current FastPass+ System started in January 2014 (prior to the current system the benefits of staying on-site was the EMH, which personally I felt were much longer but I'd have to go look historically, and transportation). One of the new build-outs were the Villas at the Grand Floridian (147 rooms), the other new hotels rooms (mostly DVC) were replacements of rooms equal or less than those that they replaced. So from the on-site Disney owned hotels they didn't really have less Resorts than they do today. In the next few years Riviera is coming online but not adding a ton since it removed CBR rooms, and Reflections is the first true large-scale buildout since AoA opened. Though I agree they added the DS hotels.
I was talking about when FP itself started.

If the 60-day perk has helped keep the onsite resorts full, I think they will continue to provide something similar. If it doesn’t matter—if the resorts will be full anyway—why bother, at least from a profit perspective.
But they’ve added soo many DS hotel to that benefit. Not really an exclusive perk anymore.

its been rumored for some time that WDW will add a paid FP option.

According to Martin at WDWmagic later this year this will go into place.

You will get 1-2 “free” FPs and anything more will be paid add ons. There will be different levels of additional FPs but you can’t get an unlimited FP.

Can you give us the link to this info? Tried to find it but can’t. Thanks.

I really hope they make the announcement soon, I need to decide if we want to spend $6k on Disney next year or go to Europe, because I’ll need to buy our plane tickets 11 months before our trip. And I won’t be getting an AP.
With the travel authorization that is going to be needed come 2021 for Europe, you may want to do that. Google ETIAS. Yes it's only $7 and supposed approval in minutes, but it is more hoops to jump through.

Just thinking out loud because I know no details have been announced yet, but...

Could another possible on site perk (in addition to transportation) be access to these paid passes? On site visitors get a bundle of 3 passes for less money than off site visitors? Or maybe on site visitors get the “privilege” (!) of purchasing passes in advance (similar to what is done now). OR, maybe onsite visitors can access a wider pool of rides/experiences (i.e. onsite guests would be able to purchase FPs for both Star Wars rides and maybe designated show/fireworks viewing as opposed to maybe 1 Star Wars ride and no designated show areas for offsite visitors).

I do think, like others have said, the CL FP program was a test for this. I know when I looked into that program, the rep for Dolphin said the program was VERY popular and she didn't think it would end anytime soon (pure speculation on her part, obviously).

Yea I'm in wait and see on this one.

Can also see "offers" for some bookings, time of year, DVC purchase, room categories etc.

"Free" during recessions/slow seasons etc.

Don't mind buying extra, but what's the availability (and when)-esp "good ones"?

My read of the tea leaves...we at least (for now) won’t see a major change to the current FP system.

The reason FPs aren’t being offered for SWGE is not an operational decision, but because they are eventually (maybe even at the onset) going to charge for them. Much harder to offer standard FPs for Smugglers Run and then take them away.

We may see this for all of the new headliner attractions and maybe they may get thrown back into the general FP pool as popularity wanes and new things get built.

Of course, the standard FPs could also be monetized as well down the road.

Yea I'm in wait and see on this one.

Can also see "offers" for some bookings, time of year, DVC purchase, room categories etc.

"Free" during recessions/slow seasons etc.

Don't mind buying extra, but what's the availability (and when)-esp "good ones"?

I think that will have an impact on my view of this as a whole. If I can pay a bit extra but get 3-4 FP I really want vs struggling to get a few that I want but never able to get the most popular (we usually stay off site) then I see that ax very different than having to pay just to get the same or worse access

As someone currently doing WDW with a preschooler, having transportation, FP and morning EMH are what make the trips successful for us. Little kids aren't known for patience, so I use these tools and the ability to travel in less crowded times to maximize our enjoyment.

If FP is changed in a manner that reduces its effectiveness for us (or increases its cost), combined with bigger crowds at EMH and a continually more expensive trip overall (increased ticket prices, hotel costs and food costs all at once), then I will be changing our vacation style.

We'll still vacation, as I have the funds to spend. But our trips will expand to include Sea World, Universal and the beach like others have said. I enjoy not having to drive, but I enjoy being able to enjoy my experience and afford more days even more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter