Owning two UY in two different resorts?

Momtomouselover

DIS Veteran
What are the drawbacks of owning two UYs? I’m trying to understand how that complicates things other than remembering two different banking dates. Thanks for any help.

Having the same UY makes it easier to combine points if you want to stay somewhere other than your home resorts. That was my main reason for wanting the same UY.

Is it a transfer then if you want to combine the points?

Yeah you could transfer points to combine them, but you're limited to one transfer per year, so it makes it difficult unless you know the exact amount you need (for instance, if you need to waitlist a room it would be tricky). Also, transfered points don't typically show up online so you might have to call Membership Services to book with transfered points which is also a bit of a pain.

Yeah you could transfer points to combine them, but you're limited to one transfer per year, so it makes it difficult unless you know the exact amount you need (for instance, if you need to waitlist a room it would be tricky). Also, transfered points don't typically show up online so you might have to call Membership Services to book with transfered points which is also a bit of a pain.

Got it. Thanks! That’s a big drawback. I was considering two UY at two different resorts and just alternating where we stay but I could see that we might want to combine at 7mos at some point too.

I’m waiting to see if my April UY contract passes ROFR. If so, the easiest thing I guess is to get direct points for April. I was drawn to Oct or Dec to cover travel in months after April banking deadline and for the extra 2020 points. In the long run probably best to stick with one UY.

I have two. They pretty much act like two different people making the bookings. This can make it difficult to combine points or use both contracts on one trip, because it has to be a split stay, even if you book the same room class.

This works for me, as I use the contracts on their own bookings and don't really need to combine them.

It has a couple other advantages, like waiting lists, and you can get more one time use points.

If you ever want to book one trip together as a single reservation, then you want to stick with one UY. However, you can make it work by booking some nights on one membership, and some on the other...then calling MS and having them link them so you don't have to switch rooms.

I had 3 UYs...now down to 2...but I use them the same way as the others have shared....like they are different people. That does mean I have borrowed on one while having current points on the other, but it is just easier since using transferred points is not ideal, IMO. Not only can you not use them online to book, you can not modify reservations online if they have transferred points in them.

The do maintain their regular UY as well so you have to make sure you are transferring the correct points. I have the ones that I do so that all of my trips are booked within the first 8 months of the UY so I can bank if something happens.

You have to be careful when transferring from one to the other. You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points. You cannot borrow transferred points, but you can bank them. Most of the time my small Dec UY contract is used for one trip. Occasionally, I'll transfer from it to my Sept or from the Sept to the Dec, it just depends on when my trip is.

You have to be careful when transferring from one to the other. You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points. You cannot borrow transferred points, but you can bank them. Most of the time my small Dec UY contract is used for one trip. Occasionally, I'll transfer from it to my Sept or from the Sept to the Dec, it just depends on when my trip is.

I have two different use years at two different resorts and find it very frustrating. I have August and April use years, so they are sufficiently far apart that sometimes trips would be borrowing or banking for one of the contracts and the points just don’t work out to combine them even though I have enough. If I could go back in time I would try to at least get use years that we’re closer together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter