over the door shoe hanger

val2001

Mouseketeer
o.k. I've already bought mine (a clear one) for my trip, but can someone tell me what they actually put in it? Also, what door do you hang it over - closet or bathroom? Will the doors still shut properly?

I already have a traveling hanging bag that organizes things like my contact lenses, deodorant, toothpaste, Q-tips, etc. But I still got the shoe organizer thinking there would be lots of loose items that my dh and kids will need to store. Am I right?

It has to be hung over the bathroom door, since the closet doors are sliding. I did have problems closing the bathroom door completely with the door holder on it, but nothing that would bother me. Our kids are little and the bathroom is very small, so for me it was slightly claustrophic with the door completely closed. I hung it on the outside of the door, since we basically only closed the door while taking showers. That way, everything was easily accessible while someone was in the shower, or if the door was opened. I placed all my shampoos, conditioner, brushes, everything in it. I felt the spce inside the bathroom wasn't enough space for everything, and this kept everything organized. It worked out great for our family of 4, and we'll be bringing it on our next cruise!!

Hair dryer and curler fit in it good too, as well as *gasp* SHOES! What with 4 of us, and DD and DS having "adult sized feet" already at ages 10 and 11 (when did that happen *sob*), that's four times (one pair of dress shoes + one pair of sneakers + one pair of sandals), which equals...a mess!!

Now if I could have taught everyone else to keep using them so I wouldn't have to chase down lonely shoes and put them back in the shoe holder... :rolleyes: They liked to hide under the bed and that's where all our luggage went!

hair care items, makeup back, cotton balls and qtips, medicines, sunblock, shaving items, hair accessories, jewelry, nail care items, toothbrushes, sewing kit, and i could go on and on with all the stuff i can jam into that thing! I am hooked now, and i won't go on a trip without one now! These things really help reduce the clutter!

we put all of our shoes in there plus our disposable cameras, suntan lotion, and two-way radios. It worked out great. One of the best tips I got from these boards.

We purchased a hanging shoe bag for our 4 day wonder cruise and never took it out of the suitcase. We seemed to have plenty of space for everything. To each his own!

The shoe bag was probably the best hint I got from the boards (why didn't I learn this 9 cruises ago?) We used it for hair brushes, deodorant, cameras, sun screen, etc. Just generally used it for anything that didn't have a good "home" to keep down the clutter. It really helped keep the bathroom neater, and there is relatively little counter space in the bathrooms.

We learned about the shoe hanger idea in time for our last trip and it was a life saver. We had been used to the Deluxe room, but we tried a Standard room for this trip. We quickly noticed how much storage space we had lost.

We put the hanger over the bathroom door such that it was accessable from the cabin (not the bathroom). The hangers were so thin that we didn't have any problems closing the door.

It turned out to be a great place to store our first aid kit, brushes, pocket camera, wallets/KTTW, sun tan lotion (and Aloe), and any other smaller nick-nacks.

I bought the shoe hanger and never used it. I did take it out of the suitcase and hung it on the door but we had more than enough storage without it. I also found that I would need something in it when I was in the other bathroom. I think it would be a necessity if you had older children or teenagers that have alot of their own toiltries. We have a 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 yo so maybe the next cruise with one more child in the mix we will need it. I will bring it again mostly because of the rave reviews it gets.

I organized everything in rows......DH got top row w/razor, shaving cream, cologne, antipersperant, shampoo, etc. I got next row, DD next, and then a row just for medications....pepto, allergy meds, aspirin, sunscreen, aloe.....the bottom 2 large holders got hairdryer and curling iron.

It was nice that we didn't have to dig through a toiletry bag to find items like hair scrunchies, or have them tossed all over the desk or counter. Everything seemed so organized and I wasn't the person responsible for finding everything!!

Can you tell me where you buy these? I am particularly interested in the clear one. It's a GREAT idea!

I bought an el cheapo one at the Dollar Tree for our upcoming cruise. I figured if it didn't work for us, then I would not be out a lot of money! It looks like it will be very handy!

Cara

I also did the cheapie at Dollar Tree. FIgured if it didn't work, no great loss. If it got icky, I'd dump it at the end of the cruise. If anything, I'd get a bigger one for the next trip!

i think i paid about three bucks for mine at walmart.

What didn't we put in ours? Probably would be a better question. This was the BEST tip we got from this board.

We put sunblock, razors, shampoo, cameras, our KTTWC, shaving cream, film, make-up,film, kids toys.. we used two of them, so you can only imagine.

We picked ours up at big lots for like $3.00:D

We spent a bit more for a canvas one, so if the shoes were wet or something, it dried well - and they have double pockets for each pocket - so I could have shoes in the big pocket, and my curling iron in the outside one without an issue.

I'm using it now here at home for a "pantry" of sorts - cleaning things, dog treats, rolls of garbage bags!

We got ours at Linens & Things, they had a variety to choose from, and it was $15. I figured this way it'd last longer and have more uses for me.

What a agreat idea! We take a lot of toiletries because everyone has their own favorite shampoo,etc. I will definitely get one because I hate the clutter in the bathroom. I am a neat freak even on vacation!
Thanks for another great tip!

I'm planning on getting an over the door shoe holder, but I also have an 'everything bag' (love that bag..got it on QVC!) and usually on our trips I just hang that bag on the bathroom door so I don't have to unpack all the toiletries, etc. Does anyone know if either of the bathroom doors in the cabins have a little towel hook that I can hang my everything bag onto? I'd like to hang that on one door and the shoe holder on the other.

Thanks!

One more question, and it is a little OT, but you brought it up!! I can't, for the life of me , figure out what KTTWC is- I think it has somethign to do with your room key? AM I right??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter