Outpatient surgery - do you HAVE to have someone with you during?

Straitlover

DIS Veteran
I may have to have an outpatient procedure (I will be sedated). Are you required to have someone in the waiting room, or can you just arrange someone to pick you up at the end? What if you have no one, does that mean you can't have the surgery?

I would assume that you would need someone there, especially if you are going to be sedated. I've only been to one OP surgery with dh and IIRC I had to sign some papers.

The policy can vary somewhat from one facility to another. And it will depend somewhat on whether you will receive only IV sedation or general anesthesia. Most places require that you have a responsible adult who can drive you home (or ride with you in a taxi) and ensure your safety until you have recovered from the effects of the drugs and/or the procedure. Some will require that person to remain in the waiting room the whole time, so that there is no delay when you are ready for discharge. Others will permit that person to leave and then return at a specific time.

When I worked in a day surgery center, our policy was that we would not accept a patient who did not have a responsible person to take them home. You would have to check with someone at your facility to find out definitely what their particular policy is.

My husband asked this when he had a procedure. He went in early and I didn't get there until about 20 minutes after they had taken him into the Pre-OP area because I had to go drop the kid off at school first.

They told us it was fine as long as I was there before he was released. I really don't remember signing anything, maybe his discharge instructions.

For mine, I just had to provide a phone number of the person they were to call to come get me. I've done this at two different facilities, sedated each time. The office staff actually made the call to inform my "taxi" to be there at xyz time to get me.

I may have to have an outpatient procedure (I will be sedated). Are you required to have someone in the waiting room, or can you just arrange someone to pick you up at the end? What if you have no one, does that mean you can't have the surgery?

We require someone to pick you up, receive and sign your discharge instructions, drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours.

When my husband had a procedure recently, I was required to be with him at check-in. They then gave me a "beeper" (like one of those buzzer things that restaurants pass out when there's a long wait). I didn't have to stay in the waiting room. I could go to the cafe, etc. But I had to stay at the hospital.

My husband asked this when he had a procedure. He went in early and I didn't get there until about 20 minutes after they had taken him into the Pre-OP area because I had to go drop the kid off at school first.

They told us it was fine as long as I was there before he was released. I really don't remember signing anything, maybe his discharge instructions.

I don't remember what it was but it was before he even went up to be prepped. Maybe it was just a paper confirming my info (name, phone #, etc etc).

Well. I'm not ready to tell family about it (just mother and sister) and i'm not comfortable asking a co-worker to take leave, so I will see about hiring someone from a home heatlh agency for the day. Thanks!

I've always had to fill out the form saying who will be picking me up. they weren't required to wait.

Well. I'm not ready to tell family about it (just mother and sister) and i'm not comfortable asking a co-worker to take leave, so I will see about hiring someone from a home heatlh agency for the day. Thanks!

I've only ever needed someone to pick me up. I imagine it depends on the type of surgery. But I wouldn't necessarily hire someone for that. Sounds $$$. I've gotten friends, co-workers. It doesn't take that long. (But you do need a ride there as well...)

At our hospital, they have to see the person that you brought along before they will sedate you. They too do pagers and ask that you stay within rage of them while your family member or friend is being treated. Do you belong to a church? Maybe a pastor or other church leader would be a good support person.

I left my chruch a few years ago because they were having BIG drama. I wanted to find another one, but I was spending so much time away dealing with my mother's cancer (she lives 75 miles away, and I ahve to take her to her appointments, etc)that I never found one.

My sister was recently diagnosed w/ breast cancer and is doing her thing with that, plus my mother is back in the hospital, so I really don't want to dump my stuff on them right now.

I don't have any real friends locally that I feel like I could ask to take the whole day off. I have a co-worker that I can ask to drop me off, and my boss would pick me up.

So if someone has to be in the building the whole time, then that's why I would have to hire someone. If you can hire a companion to sit with the elderly for the day, surely I can hire that same person to take me to the hospital and back? The procedure is not something that I would need constant care afterwards, just no driving for 24 hours.

Thanks for the info. When I know for 100% sure I have to have it done and find out where it will be, I'll check to see what their policy is.

When I had my knee surgery. I drove myself to the surgical center. The post-op nurse called my wife when I was out of surgery to come pick me up. I left my truck there until later that evening.

I had an outpatient surgery with full sedation and definitely could not have driven myself home. I hope they wouldn't have let me drive myself! I don't even remember the drive home lol!

I left my chruch a few years ago because they were having BIG drama. I wanted to find another one, but I was spending so much time away dealing with my mother's cancer (she lives 75 miles away, and I ahve to take her to her appointments, etc)that I never found one. My sister was recently diagnosed w/ breast cancer and is doing her thing with that, plus my mother is back in the hospital, so I really don't want to dump my stuff on them right now. I don't have any real friends locally that I feel like I could ask to take the whole day off. I have a co-worker that I can ask to drop me off, and my boss would pick me up. So if someone has to be in the building the whole time, then that's why I would have to hire someone. If you can hire a companion to sit with the elderly for the day, surely I can hire that same person to take me to the hospital and back? The procedure is not something that I would need constant care afterwards, just no driving for 24 hours. Thanks for the info. When I know for 100% sure I have to have it done and find out where it will be, I'll check to see what their policy is.

Just because you don't think you will need constant care doesn't mean you arent required to have someone with you.
I work in 2 surgery centers. One is hospital based , the other is free standing.

Hospital based one requires someone stay with you for 24 hours.
Free standing, someone needs to be available to you for 24 hours.

Same kind of procedures, different regulations.

I know for my colonoscopy they always require someone waits there while the procedure is being done.

It all depends on what you are having done I think. Just give them a call and ask.

You will not be able to drive yourself home so you will have to have someone either with you or pick you up.

I forgot to respond to the actual question.

DH and MIL brought me to the surgery center and stayed with me until I was in back and undergoing the surgery. I was in the OR for about five hours total.

At some point DH took MIL back to my house to pick up the kids from school. I lived about an hour away. He came back to pick me up.

That was my experience.

Do you want to have this done without someone there for you? I'd be petrified to face surgery alone but that's me and I am not you.

If you are being put under general anesthesia, you will have to have someone at home WITH you for 24 hours after the procedure. You could hire a caregiver which will cost you about $15-20/hr X 24 hours. You are looking at a LOT of money there!

The first 24 hours after anesthesia is a risky time. Dizziness, fainting, and falls are risks as are a sudden fever, hemhorrage from the surgical site, or breathing problems due to fluid in the lungs. Things can go VERY bad really fast and that is why you will need a responsible adult to watch over you for 24 hours.

I get that your family has their own health issues, but it seems like you really need to let one of them help you here if at all possible. How would they feel if you didn't say anything and then something happened to you during or after the surgery?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter