Out of State Disneyland Trip Planning Thread

So, why wouldn't you just drive straight to Del Sol and park your car, check in and head to the parks? There is no need to pay $25 to Disney to park if you are staying literally across the street. You can check into a hotel anytime. Your room just may not be available until official check in time, but I've never been turned away from checking in early at any hotel, ever.
I agree with DLGal about going straight to the Del Sol and check in so you can park there. It is an easy walk to the park from there. Even if your room isn't ready it will save you $25 parking money and probably some time as well.

First time visiting since moving to Nevada... We are driving in to DLR from our home in Summerlin, Las Vegas in October. Leaving the house at 5am on a Tuesday and giving ourselves ~4 hrs to get there, planning to arrive inside the park around 9-10am. Sound reasonable? Anyone else here from Vegas and familiar with the trek?
215 to 15S to CA60W. Get in the carpool lane and STAY IN THE CARPOOL LANE to get to 57S. Exit the carpool lane after going past 91 and work your way over for either Ball or Katella. Usually 3.5 to 4 hours from Summerlin.

P.S. The Sigalert app is your friend.

Last edited:
What's the ticket question? Maybe we can help?
Ok so I have 2 one day non park hopper tickets that DH and I didn't use when we went to DL last month. They were not part of a package and were bought separate from anything else. We didn't use them because we ended up buying park hoppers instead. So what I have been trying to find out is how I would go about upgrading them into park hoppers and how I would add 2 more days to them for when DD and I go to the parks in February.

215 to 15S to CA60W. Get in the carpool lane and STAY IN THE CARPOOL LANE to get to 57S. Exit the carpool lane after going past 91 and work your way over for either Ball or Katella. Usually 3.5 to 4 hours from Summerlin.

P.S. The Sigalert app is your friend.
You've made the trip from Summerlin in 3.5 hours? Just how fast were you going? We usually average around 4.5-5 hours, but that's with a stop for a quick dinner and a bathroom break.

I usually follow down whatever path the Waze gods direct me.

You've made the trip from Summerlin in 3.5 hours? Just how fast were you going? We usually average around 4.5-5 hours, but that's with a stop for a quick dinner and a bathroom break.

I usually follow down whatever path the Waze gods direct me.
We drive straight through, no stops. The 3.5 hour trips are when it is clear sailing the whole way, and the carpool lane helps a lot.

We have had some longer times, usually when something happens to back up El Cajon (once you are at that point there is no escape). I learned the normal patterns and how to avoid the bad times when I commuted weekly to El Segundo for the last 10 months before retiring.

Ok so I have 2 one day non park hopper tickets that DH and I didn't use when we went to DL last month. They were not part of a package and were bought separate from anything else. We didn't use them because we ended up buying park hoppers instead. So what I have been trying to find out is how I would go about upgrading them into park hoppers and how I would add 2 more days to them for when DD and I go to the parks in February.

Well, this might be tough since they are one day tickets and you will need reservations and you can't do that until you have your tickets AND these types of changes need to be made in person. By the time you arrive to upgrade the tickets, there may not be park availability for the following days.

You may just have to buy new multi day tickets and then hold onto the ones you have and use them in the future, or apply them to an AP later, etc.

From all reports, the ONLY way to handle ticket upgrades is at the booths in person, unless they change that between now and your trip.

Well, this might be tough since they are one day tickets and you will need reservations and you can't do that until you have your tickets AND these types of changes need to be made in person. By the time you arrive to upgrade the tickets, there may not be park availability for the following days.

You may just have to buy new multi day tickets and then hold onto the ones you have and use them in the future, or apply them to an AP later, etc.

From all reports, the ONLY way to handle ticket upgrades is at the booths in person, unless they change that between now and your trip.
It sucks because the whole idea in taking the trip in February was to use these tickets since they were leftover from the last trip. Disney is making it difficult lol. If we can't upgrade them we will just use them as non parkhoppers I guess and then just buy 2 days of park hoppers separately. I seriously just wish Disney would make things easier as far as contacting them and being able to do stuff like this. Thank you for the feedback.

It sucks because the whole idea in taking the trip in February was to use these tickets since they were leftover from the last trip. Disney is making it difficult lol. If we can't upgrade them we will just use them as non parkhoppers I guess and then just buy 2 days of park hoppers separately. I seriously just wish Disney would make things easier as far as contacting them and being able to do stuff like this. Thank you for the feedback.

Have you tried starting a chat via the Disneyland app? They might be able to help you.

So, why wouldn't you just drive straight to Del Sol and park your car, check in and head to the parks? There is no need to pay $25 to Disney to park if you are staying literally across the street. You can check into a hotel anytime. Your room just may not be available until official check in time, but I've never been turned away from checking in early at any hotel, ever.
they specifically said no check in/parking our car til 3pm when I called them to ask if we could come early. have you stayed there before? always hate to call and ask for the manager but I totally will if anyone else has been allowed to park early there before! (the reason they gave me is that they have a TINY lot and are strictly one car per room)

Just throwing this out there since they have late check in - is it feasible and within your budget/schedule to head out late the night before and stay in the hotel overnight so you can hit the park first thing in the morning and have all day?

We also like to start our vacation right after work and get all the traveling out of the way so we can pack in as much fun as possible.
unfortunately not in the budget and timing. we know its gonna be tight but it was originally only going to be a one day stop and we extended it to two!

for what it's worth! My group is driving in early morning for our first Disneyland day and checking in to our hotel at the end of the night when they hotel closes. I called Del Sol Inn on Harbor and checked with management--they said it is totally acceptable to park your car there in the morning without checking in, just to leave confirmation of the booking with the front desk and in sight in the vehicle! and they only charge $16 for 24hr parking :)

they specifically said no check in/parking our car til 3pm when I called them to ask if we could come early. have you stayed there before? always hate to call and ask for the manager but I totally will if anyone else has been allowed to park early there before! (the reason they gave me is that they have a TINY lot and are strictly one car per room)

Well, that is odd since presumably check OUT is 11am. Are they going to make you move your car by then on checkout day?

We were originally planning to fly in early on day 1 and get started right away at the parks. But the more I think about it, I’d rather start the fun after being well rested.

So we’re now going to fly in the afternoon prior to day 1 and just hit DTD for some shopping and dinner. Just to get started in a more relaxing way.

Fingers crossed Black Tap is fully open next year, that place looks awesome.

We were originally planning to fly in early on day 1 and get started right away at the parks. But the more I think about it, I’d rather start the fun after being well rested.

So we’re now going to fly in the afternoon prior to day 1 and just hit DTD for some shopping and dinner. Just to get started in a more relaxing way.

I think that is a great idea. That is how we try to do it.

Isn't Black Tap fully open now? Seems to be from my observations.

Hi all! We'll be driving to Disneyland in June 2022 from Dallas, TX area. We are planning a stop in El Paso to visit family (and rest up), and really enjoyed spending a morning exploring Malibu last trip, so will likely do that again. When I reserved our house for our dates (June 7-16) it felt like a long time, but as I think of all we want to do the days evaporate!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter