Our Spectacular FIRST Disney Vacation! August 2011 UK TR- OLYMPIC TORCH RELAY Mini TR

Great update!! Loved hearing about Citricos. What did you have to eat? What made the food there better than GS? Great pics of GF!! Can't wait to explore there in March. How are the shops? Any good ones that I need to check out?

Are you getting ready for the Christmas holidays? What types of traditions do you do during the holiday season?

Have a great day!!:flower3:

Nice update! I was in Frankenmuth, Michigan last night... DH and I took a little overnight trip. I thought I would take pictures and share them here on the Dis boards. There are forum sections for non-Disney stuff. And I know there are folks here who would love to go there and shop in Bronner's Christmas store. I had a good time and I bought some really great Christmas ornaments. But my DD14, had absconded with my camera! She took it along on her trip to Maryland. I know she is getting good pics there, but I was not so happy with her when I realized that!

Maybe I can at least remember to show pics of the specific ornaments I bought some time after little miss gwyneth gets home from her trip next week.

Oh wow! You always seem to be getting away for little trips and vacations! Must be nice to get away with your DH... my parents always moan about wanting a weekend away someplace nice! :laughing:
Oh, you didn't get any photos? Waah! I'd have loved to see them! And anywhere you go has to be remotely interesting or historic, right? Lol. If you go anywhere else and get photos, be sure to post the link to me! I'd love to see them!
Christmas store? :lovestruc We don't have many of them here and when we do, they sell really tacky plastic decorations. Sounds like you had a great time! And who doesn't like shopping?! ;)
Ooh! Where is Gwyneth going in Maryland? I've heard that's a nice state to visit. Is she going with one of her clubs? I had a day trip to France in year 8, but it was so awful, because all we did was literally visit a French supermarket, lol.
Looking forward to hearing how Gwyneth's trip was! popcorn::

So does your school have better food now like the schools where he has managed to revamp the lunch programs?!

No my school has awful food still. And I don't think he would try to help the school he hated so much when he was a child... lol. Our school cafeteria is GREAT though if you want cold pizza or rock-hard cakes! :rolleyes1

What I know about MSG, is that it is a naturally occurring amino acid, but in the way it is gotten into such a strong and pure form and added to foods, it is reputed to be bad for you causing many different possible reactions in different people. I personally know a guy who always seemed very withdrawn and unfriendly (knew him for a couple of years that he was like that) who gave it up and turned into a completely different person, happy and outgoing. He's had a far better life since he gave it up, something like 5 years ago. My dad's wife gets headaches when she has it. And I personally just decided with all the health things I've had to deal with, I should just play it safe and stay away from it. I would not be surprised if it is addictive. It certainly is known to have an effect on the nervous system.

That's bad. I'm not sure if MSG is in anything I eat- I certainly hope not! Different foods obviously do have different effects on different people... I steer clear of chocolate in the evening seeing as I can never get to sleep if I eat it too close to going to bed. Do you have Lucozade where you live? I'm sure you do. Apparently looking at the list of ingredients in that drink is enough to make you feel sick and never drink it again. :sick: I don't drink soft drinks (don't you call them soda?) as I find them disgusting. And they are addictive too! Lol.

Yes, the food problems can be pretty difficult to deal with at times. But I guess you can get used to anything when you have no choice. ;) The biggest thing is just that I know it is difficult for other people just like it can be for me at times and so it effects eating out and going to friend's homes quite a bit.

Oh yes, that must be difficult. It can be hard getting people to cater for your dietary requirements when you're out and stuff. At WDW they are SO accommodating with people's allergies though... maybe you can use that as your excuse for moving over there... :rolleyes1

If I were only allergic to fish that would be easy enough for people to cope with but when there are multiple things and when some of them can be "hidden ingredients" it's pretty much impossible to put that burden on others not to mention, then would you be able to trust they can get it right and you won't have some sort of anaphylaxis, that they would never stop apologizing for? Oh, well. Everyone has different stuff to deal with in life, right?

Yes, it must be scary. Nowadays there are so many hidden ingredients in food that you wouldn't expect to be there! Can you eat nuts? Because that is the one ingredient that is in lots of foods even when you wouldn't expect it. Do you not eat out with friends and family then? I would find the risk of falling ill worrying and that would stop me. At least you can cope with it, even if it's hard or challenging. I guess it must make you a stronger person too!

Yes, it's just juice all day. I have an appliance called a juicer and for the juice fast you are supposed to make the juice fresh and drink it right away. I'm not doing it so well right now partly because things keep coming up like a friend needing to go out and talk so at the restaurant I got food. lol. And as mentioned in my previous post, my DH took me on an overnight trip, so I didn't try to do it 100%. I took juice with me for breakfast and lunch and I ate at the restaurant at the hotel last night. Then we had today to deal with lunch today before we got home in the afternoon. Anywho.

How can you do that? If I were doing a juice fast I would be starving by midday! Do you puree lots of fruit and make juice and smoothies? They must be a little more filling than just juice. Ah yes, the good thing about trips is that you get to eat out and enjoy nice food! Who could say no to delicious food and a fun overnight trip?! :rotfl:

It was not hard when I did a juice fast last summer. As long as I made my juices 80% veg and 20% fruit and always started with something green and leafy I had no food cravings or hunger or anything. And when I did it for fifteen days last summer, I lost 15 pounds and I never gained them back.

Wow! That sounds great! I hear so many things about how hard it is to lose weight... but it looks like it was easy for you! Vegetables in a juice? Wouldn't that taste a little odd? I always thought it was just fruit. Lol. Vegetables are more filling than fruits though, that's something! And losing that much weight is great too!

Now that I've said the juice thing isn't hard, I have to say I don't think it would be the right choice for a permanent way to eat. There are lots of people who think being vegan is perfectly healthy, but I can't say they have me convinced, not by a long shot. Not that I'm inviting debate, I just want to be clear that for your health I, personally, don't recommend veganism. I'm just full of opinions, I know. *blush*

Surely you'd be malnourished if you did a juice fast all the time... because compared to the big meals you're meant to eat it sounds like nothing. I agree- I would find being a vegan so difficult to stick to and a challenge to prepare meals too. And vegan foods surely just can't be as good as dairy and meat? Some people with allergies to meat or lactose intolerance might have to be vegans, but I wouldn't do it by choice. I know it must be good for some people, but for me... and you!... it probably isn't. Everyone's got opinions... lol... You should hear some people at my school. But in the end opinions are great! :thumbsup2

Actually, no. He ended up deciding to get a paying job and end the apprenticeship. I can't blame him, but I hope he can get back to learning that on the side at some point, especially since he is not interested in college.

Oh, well he can always go back to it! It's always good to have some sort of qualification or skill... but as long as he enjoys what he's doing! (Okay... who actually DOES enjoy work?! Lol.) Apprenticships are a great way to go if you aren't interested in college apparently, as you must know, being a homeschool teacher! ;)

Yes, there was a real Pocahontas but her real life story doesn't really bare much resemblance to the story Disney told. Being a person who loved her story for years before the Disney movie came out I couldn't really understand why Disney stole her name to tell their tale of the evil white man coming in for profit and mayhem. The part of her story that people know and that they sort of worked with in the movie is the part where she saved John Smith's life. Outside of including a version of that Disney didn't really have anything going on in the movie that had anything to do with reality. But since you loved the movie and you love history you might enjoy this site:

http://pocahontas.morenus.org/

I used to love it when The History Channel would show a movie based on a historical event and then do an episode of "history vs. hollywood" about it. Good Stuff.

I didn't know that there was a real Pocahontus! It is a great story though, even the way Disney tells it! Disney makes everything seem magical- even when in real life the stories must have been more gory. I guess Disney movies can't be too realistic to history, because of the audience they are aimed at. Thanks for the link- it's really interesting! I think the history channel is also in England- so I'll look and see if anything like 'history vs. hollywood' is on. Is it discontinued? It must be on youtube or something. I love documentaries like that- they're fascinating.

Ah, ok. I get it. So a U.S. penny is to a dollar as a U.K. penny is to a pound. And a dime is just like a 10 pence piece. I could deal with that, since y'all have the value on yours unlike our dime, which you just have to memorize.

Wait- don't you have 'cents' anywhere? I thought that the US had dollars and cents. Shows how little I know! Lol!

Wow, I didn't know it was in the 60's when they stopped minting those other coins. No wonder it was so confusing when I was there in the 80's. I remember thinking that it was crazy to have so many different coins. I'm supposing there were still coins in circulation from the old system all those years later. But on the other hand, I might be remembering incorrectly. Maybe it was just the new coins and I was just being really dense with them. To be serious for a moment, I'm pretty sure it was the old ones because there weren't any that had the values on them any of the times I had trouble. I was there in 1986. So not quite twenty years later. That is a good bit of time!

Ah yes. That is confusing! I'm not sure when they stopped circulating, but it was well out of my lifetime. Well... there are a few coins I missed out when I last mentioned British coins. We have a 1pence coin, 2pence coin, 5pence coin, 10pence coin, 20pence coin, 50pence coin, £1 coin and £2 coin. So we do have a lot... whoops! To be honest, there are far less coins in the US dollar currency, and also in the Euro currency most of Europe uses. I guess British coins are so simple to me because I have grown up with them- like US coins are probably simple to you.

It seems like the French people were predisposed to dislike or even to hate Marie Antoinette even when she was still essentially a child just before being sent to France to meet her intended. It must have had to do with the political climate of the time, rather than with her personally, stuff like French attitudes's towards Austria and the poorer people's of France and their feelings about the ruling class.

That's such a shame. She obviously didn't really deserve it then... all the hate directed at her! It usually is because of political climate or relationships with other countries. Did the French public dislike the Monarchy like other countries did at that time?

Here is a passage from an article I found on her trial:

"On 14th October, when the galleries had filled with expectant crowds (including the diehard groups of women who attended so many trials and executions that they now brought their knitting with them to do while they watched), the trial commenced. As expected Foquier-Tinville began with a lengthy, vitriolic speech in which he outlined the charges, and placed Marie Antoinette in a long line of infamously wicked women ‘like Messalina, Brunhilda, Fredegund and Medici’. He described her as ‘the scourge and the blood-sucker of the French’, and in language reminiscent of witchcraft accusations talked of the ‘creatures’ and ‘midnight meetings’ she employed.

From the outset then it was clear that the trial was to proceed along familiar lines of character assassination, the rationale seemingly being that proving Marie Antoinette’s complete moral degeneracy would show her capable of committing any crime, thereby absolving the need to prove her guilty of actually committing particular ones."

That does sound bad- like they hated her so much! She was beheaded, right? Or was she hung? It's like what Henry VIII did to his wife Anne Boleyn (spelling?) in a way- didn't he accuse her of witchcraft and adultery? She was beheaded- no one realised that it was Henry's way of getting rid of her!

I didn't study very much history in college, but I did take a few history courses just during my freshman year of college. Good stuff. Mostly I'm just interested in it and I read a lot. And since I can't seem to hold much math in my head, there is lots of good space there for my high reading comprehension and retention. :lmao: Actually I have pretty good comprehension and retention for listening to lectures as well, if I'm being serious. And that is a good thing, because I do NOT have good note-taking skills!

Well- if you studied a little history in college that must be partly why you're so knowledgable about the subject as a whole! And considering there is so much history to learn, that is a really good thing. You must read a lot even now... to know so much and remember everything. At least you can learn from lectures... the word 'lecture' to me sounds so dull and long! (As does the actual thing!) My parents say there are a lot of lectures in university and college. So... I'm not exactly looking forward to that!

I agree. I've always liked the name Megan. In fact, I have a niece named Megan. And I love your screenname here! It's true that my girls have uncommon names. They are ahead of the trend I guess. Since we picked the names we see them more so we know they are becoming a bit more used. But Anneliese is still very rare even with a bit of increase. And the people who use it all seem to make up new spellings for it. We went with the traditional German spelling for it, knowing it was a German name. When I was still pregnant, my brother in law who was stationed in Germany at the time told his elderly neighbor about our expecting a girl and choosing that name and the old fellow said (in German) "They can't name that little baby that! That is an old woman's name!" I recently learned that although it is a German name and not terribly common there among the young folk, there was some famous German lady with it who had an influence in certain hispanic cultures for some reason and that it is currently very common among Spanish speaking people. I wish I knew who she was and what she was famous for with them!

Oh thanks! :goodvibes Well my middle name is Elizabeth (shortened to 'Beth') and my grandmother used to call me Meggie Beth. I'm guessing 'fromscratchmom' means you do everything from scratch? That's an awesome nickname too! :banana: Anneliese is a great name- it sounds quite elegant and pretty. If I had an uncommon name I would feel quite 'special' seeing as you don't feel particularly special when there's 10 people in your school with the same name as you! Anneliese isn't so uncommon that I haven't heard of it, but I don't know anyone with that name. Haha, Anneliese doesn't sound like an 'old' name to me! :rotfl: Names like 'Gertrude' and 'Margaret' do. I'm pretty sure that you could find out who this german person was that made it so common with Spanish speaking people! To me, Anneliese sounds more French than German. German sounds like quite a harsh language to me, and Anneliese doesn't sound harsh at all. As for Gwyneth, my grandmother is called that but spells it 'Gwynneth'. Personally I think 'Gwyneth' is more pretty than it with 2 'n's. Do you know what country Gwyneth is from? I have always wondered that seeing as it is quite an unusual name.

He lives with us, in fact. He gets to pay low rent and save up some money from his job while he figures out what he is going to do with his life.

Oh that's nice! You must be enjoying spending time with him. It must be hard for a parent to say goodbye to their grown up child, moving out. Especially seeing as America is so big- he could go anywhere.

OH, I forgot about liquid cups vs. dry cups. But that is OK. They aren't actually different amounts. They are just differently shaped containers for holding the amount. Its because when you are measuring flour and the like, if you aren't going to put it on a scale, which a lot of American's don't, the best you can do to be precise with your measurement is to fill your container to the brim and then level it off across the top, but when you are measuring liquids you need to have a larger container and a line to fill to for the measurement, so that you don't spill.

Oh, really? I though cups were a weight. Whoops! So they are like ml and litres then... you measure upto a line. I've always thought that must be just a little innaccurate. Do you not use grams or kilograms at all? I know your country uses imperial but I thought the metric system was spreading across the world. Lol.

Oh your poor dog, the timid thing! I have a tiny little dog and he might be scared of fireworks too, but somehow I picture him just getting obnoxious barking at them.

Hehehe! He's actually a labrador, so quite big, but he gets scared at big bangs and little dogs too! Lol! He's so playful and most other dogs get cross with him and bite him, especially little ones. What kind of dog do you have? I can just imagine a tiny dog barking at fireworks. :rotfl:

I had heard of Guy Fawkes and I thought I knew that he had been behind some sort of rebellion, but I didn't know about the holiday. I'll have to look into it. So see you have inspired me too!

It isn't really a holiday... there's still school and work! But there are lots of fireworks and things. Schools usually make a guy fawkes model and burn it on a bonfire.

http://i1129.

photobucket.com/albums/m510/meggiebeth96/IMG_5340.jpg

I love candid photos! They are much more interesting than frozen smiles.

I agree! This is one photo I laugh at every time! It really describes my family well! :rotfl:

Great update!! Loved hearing about Citricos. What did you have to eat? What made the food there better than GS? Great pics of GF!! Can't wait to explore there in March. How are the shops? Any good ones that I need to check out?

Are you getting ready for the Christmas holidays? What types of traditions do you do during the holiday season?

Have a great day!!:flower3:

Thanks! :goodvibes I had some sort of pasta, I can't remember what kind. Or my parents... :rolleyes1 I have such a bad memory! What's GS? Do you mean GF? The food and atmosphere was just so nice, so it was definately one of the best restaurants. It was just better quality than the other restaurants. :cloud9:
I didn't get into any of the shops. I really wanted to... and they all looked to interesting! I would definately check some out when you go there in March! You must be so excited! :dance3:
Yes- getting into a Christmassy mood! It's a shame it's so cold though! All the shops are decorated and it does put me in a good mood. :goodvibes We don't do much, hehe. We usually have Christmas dinner with our family... that's it. What do you do? And it's getting pretty close to Thanksgiving, right? You must be getting excited about that! We don't have it here, sadly, but I wish we did! :santa:

Hello and welcome back to my TR! Where I left off, it was our second Epcot day! We were headed up to Boma for our 8am ADR. I was excited about seeing AKL for the first time.

Breakfast at Boma

IMG_5677-1.gif

The lobby was big and majestic and beautiful.

IMG_5679-1.gif

IMG_5680-1.jpg

IMG_5681-1.jpg

We had a quick glance and then headed over to Boma (running late, as usual!)

IMG_5682-1.jpg

The theming was great. I could hardly believe I was in WDW, or central Florida for that matter! :rotfl:

IMG_5683-1.gif

Rory loved all the little ornaments and statues:

IMG_5686-1.gif

And of course the restaurant itself did NOT disappoint! :cool1:

IMG_5687-1.gif

My mum was very hungry... and the pancakes were calling her name! :lmao:

IMG_5688-1.jpg

I was a little surprised that this place was missing a little something... :rolleyes1

IMG_5706-1.jpg

Rory was excited to hit the buffet!

IMG_5708-1.jpg

The two boys actually got on in WDW!

IMG_5714-1.jpg

After our nice breakfast we had a look round AKL...

IMG_5715-1.jpg

IMG_5716-1.jpg

All we could see were birds. It was a little disappointing we didn't see any giraffes or other animals. It was early too so I was surprised!

IMG_5719-1.jpg

IMG_5721-1.jpg

A kind man offered to take our photo. He had such an awesome American accent! Sorry about the quality of the photo- blame the camera!

IMG_5723-1.jpg

IMG_5722-1.jpg

That's it for now! Thanks for reading! If you are considering Boma- I would definately try it. The food had a slight African tint to it. It wasn't as good as Chef Mickey's or Akershus, but it was still good. It's especially convenient if you're going to AK for the day.

Next update: The morning at Epcot and then Chefs de France!

See you then! :santa:

love your trip report! We were at DW in Sept. & I can't wait to go back. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your TR.

love your trip report! We were at DW in Sept. & I can't wait to go back. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your TR.

Awww thanks, and... :welcome: I hear September is a great time to go! I take it your trip was wonderful? ;) Hopefully you will be back really soon! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading, too! :santa:

That kid is too cute! :grouphug:

Lol, thanks! I wish he wasn't growing up so fast... I remember when he was just a little baby! Time has gone by so quickly! :rotfl:

Hello! Before I continue with the TR, I thought that some more 'background' information would be fun to give!

Disney Land Paris, France, and Past Holidays

When I was about 6 and William was 4 (Rory would not be born until a year later!) my mum entered a competition to win a short holiday to France. It turned out we won- and stayed quite near to Disney Land Paris! Me, William and my Mum went, with our aunt and cousins. Unfortunately, my dad couldn't come because he was up seeing his very ill father in Scotland. I think that was the last time he saw his father, so he had no regrets about staying back in the UK.

I asked my mum "Do we have any photos of DLP?" (Quite hopefully!)

She replied "No, no- mobile phones were barely around then!" I'm not sure why anyone would rely on their phone to take photos, but there you go.

Who couldn't take a photo of the iconic castle?!

Anyway, instead of photos of DLP, I have at least photos of what we were like back then:

dis1.jpg

This was Willum's first day at school- 7 or 8 years ago! :scared1: Look at how close we are... we used to be such good friends! :sad1:

And this was actually later that year, I think, when we were camping in France with some friends. (You can guess who me and Willum are!)

dis2.jpg

So they give you an idea of how young we were. I have very little memories of that trip- just a few things here and there.

Just to show you what Rory would've been like at that age:

dis3.jpg

Please forgive how I look, but also how William looks! That was actually his first day at Secondary/ High school, and he looks nothing like that now. He has gotten 'cooler' and truly turned into a teenager. :eek:

After that, we took quite a few trips to France, and other parts of it too. Here is a video clip of us when Rory was 2 years old. He's cute, especially at the end! (Sorry if the link doesn't work!)

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m510/meggiebeth96/Video%20Christmas%202006/?action=view&current=Christma****oMa06.mp4

When you click on the link, Photobucket should ask you to enter in a password for the album. The password is 'disney'.

We went to France year after year, but as I grew up, I asked my parents if we could travel more.

We went to Hungary with friends, which was probably the worst holiday I've ever had. We stayed in an apartment with no air conditioning in really hot weather. And everytime we left the owners dog would try and bite us. :rolleyes:

hungary2.jpg

That's Rory, my Mum, Willum and me up on the tower, by the way!

hungary.jpg

And last year, we went to Sardinia, which was a wonderful change:

sardinia.jpg

sardinia3.jpg

Sardinia is off the coast of Italy, if you don't know. It is a beautiful country, definately.

I am the family holiday planner and when I saw Florida and the options, I desperately wanted to go there. I begged my parents and we worked hard to afford it. They weren't expecting much, actually, from WDW.

First I wanted to do Universal, Seaworld and Busch Gardens, but then I realized that Disney was far more exciting... to me anyway! :rotfl: I found out about the DDP and I begged my parents again to spend a little more money staying onsite. I also asked them to try Discovery Cove, so we sold a few things and got enough money to book that.

It turned out all to be worth it. It was the most amazing holiday any of us has ever had, even my dad. He was convinced Disney World would never rank higher than his trip to San Francisco and Alcatraz! :lmao:

Okay, now back to the TR! Sorry for the off-topic update! But hope you enjoyed that little backstory! :rolleyes1

hmm, I wrote a day or two ago, but it seems I did not post it properly so I'll write part of it again now. lol

Oh wow! You always seem to be getting away for little trips and vacations! Must be nice to get away with your DH... my parents always moan about wanting a weekend away someplace nice! :laughing:
Oh, you didn't get any photos? Waah! I'd have loved to see them! And anywhere you go has to be remotely interesting or historic, right? Lol. If you go anywhere else and get photos, be sure to post the link to me! I'd love to see them!
Christmas store? :lovestruc We don't have many of them here and when we do, they sell really tacky plastic decorations. Sounds like you had a great time! And who doesn't like shopping?! ;)
Ooh! Where is Gwyneth going in Maryland? I've heard that's a nice state to visit. Is she going with one of her clubs? I had a day trip to France in year 8, but it was so awful, because all we did was literally visit a French supermarket, lol.
Looking forward to hearing how Gwyneth's trip was! popcorn::

We have had a lot of travel going on here lately, which is odd. Over the years we have been married we usually have done very little traveling together of any kind. But I'm so glad we did this weekend trip to Michigan. I really enjoyed it. Here are two links for you to show where we went:

http://www.bronners.com/

http://www.bavarianinn.com/

Your parents should totally make that a priority to get an overnight away from home together once or twice a year, even if just to go camping. :hug:

And of course I'm thankful that we could get Gwyneth the plane tickets to take her trip to Maryland. I know it meant a lot to her. She was with a friend who used to babysit her. When Gwyneth was born Reba was 14. When Reba got married and moved to Maryland it was pretty hard on poor Gwyn. But now Reba has just given birth to her first child and just a few days before Gwyneth's 14 birthday too! So its a lovely blessing that Gwyneth got to go so shortly after the baby was born.

Here ... I'll get Gwyneth to come write you a bit about her trip...

-------------------------------------
Hi this is Gwyn. Not too much happened to make it exciting to write about. Reba's baby was too little to go out much. On the way to her house from the airport we stopped to buy diapers and got some lunch at a fast food place. Then Reba's sister and her daughter who's five visited, and I played with her. We went during Reba's church's gospel meeting so we went to that most nights. On Thursday we went to Chuckie Cheese's with her sister and her sister's daughter.

On Friday, Reba's father-in-law visited for dinner so we made nacho's and he brought pizza. On Saturday, since Reba's husband was home we left him with the baby and went on some errands, and made cookies, that did not turn out right.

I spent Sunday Afternoon with Reba's sister and played with her daughter the entire time, she's just too cute. And aside from a few errands we just stayed at home on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I went home.

So lots of "hanging out". :goodvibes
-----------------------------------------
That is too funny about the cookies. I remember always trying to make cookies with my friend, Kira, when we were in high-school and they always came out wrong. Either one of us could bake cookies alone at home and get together to share, but, when we did it together we always paid more attention to talking and goofing off and managed to mess something up with the cookie making!

Oh, by the way, her trip was to Glen Burnie, Maryland which is basically a suburb of Baltimore. And there are tons of great things to do if you visit the area. Gwyneth has gotten to do some of the things on other visits to the area at other times. I've always had relatives and friends in the vicinity. Reba's sister who Gwyn mentioned is married to my cousin. We introduced them one time when he came here to Ohio. And because of that Reba later married a man in Maryland who was friends with my cousin there. :cloud9:

We love them all and sometimes joke about getting the relationships right according to the old rules about naming such things. By the way, that makes Reba Gwyneth's second cousin twice removed if I understand the rules correctly which I probably don't. :rotfl:
-Sheril

Just found your trip report, hope you dont mind some fellow brits tagging along :)

Hallo! Thanks for joining in! I'm so glad to have some Brits joining the TR! :goodvibes

I read some of your TR. It's great! Your two girls are adorable! :)

hmm, I wrote a day or two ago, but it seems I did not post it properly so I'll write part of it again now. lol

We have had a lot of travel going on here lately, which is odd. Over the years we have been married we usually have done very little traveling together of any kind. But I'm so glad we did this weekend trip to Michigan. I really enjoyed it. Here are two links for you to show where we went:

http://www.bronners.com/

http://www.bavarianinn.com/

Your parents should totally make that a priority to get an overnight away from home together once or twice a year, even if just to go camping. :hug:

And of course I'm thankful that we could get Gwyneth the plane tickets to take her trip to Maryland. I know it meant a lot to her. She was with a friend who used to babysit her. When Gwyneth was born Reba was 14. When Reba got married and moved to Maryland it was pretty hard on poor Gwyn. But now Reba has just given birth to her first child and just a few days before Gwyneth's 14 birthday too! So its a lovely blessing that Gwyneth got to go so shortly after the baby was born.

Here ... I'll get Gwyneth to come write you a bit about her trip...

-------------------------------------
Hi this is Gwyn. Not too much happened to make it exciting to write about. Reba's baby was too little to go out much. On the way to her house from the airport we stopped to buy diapers and got some lunch at a fast food place. Then Reba's sister and her daughter who's five visited, and I played with her. We went during Reba's church's gospel meeting so we went to that most nights. On Thursday we went to Chuckie Cheese's with her sister and her sister's daughter.

On Friday, Reba's father-in-law visited for dinner so we made nacho's and he brought pizza. On Saturday, since Reba's husband was home we left him with the baby and went on some errands, and made cookies, that did not turn out right.

I spent Sunday Afternoon with Reba's sister and played with her daughter the entire time, she's just too cute. And aside from a few errands we just stayed at home on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I went home.

So lots of "hanging out". :goodvibes
-----------------------------------------
That is too funny about the cookies. I remember always trying to make cookies with my friend, Kira, when we were in high-school and they always came out wrong. Either one of us could bake cookies alone at home and get together to share, but, when we did it together we always paid more attention to talking and goofing off and managed to mess something up with the cookie making!

Oh, by the way, her trip was to Glen Burnie, Maryland which is basically a suburb of Baltimore. And there are tons of great things to do if you visit the area. Gwyneth has gotten to do some of the things on other visits to the area at other times. I've always had relatives and friends in the vicinity. Reba's sister who Gwyn mentioned is married to my cousin. We introduced them one time when he came here to Ohio. And because of that Reba later married a man in Maryland who was friends with my cousin there. :cloud9:

We love them all and sometimes joke about getting the relationships right according to the old rules about naming such things. By the way, that makes Reba Gwyneth's second cousin twice removed if I understand the rules correctly which I probably don't. :rotfl:
-Sheril

Ahh, I hate it when that happens! It’s so frustrating when you spend ages typing something and then it gets lost. You kind of lose inspiration to retype it. Lol.
You’re really lucky to travel so much, with your DH and your whole family! How far away is Michigan from you? And was it really cold?
Thanks for the links! The WORLD’S LARGEST CHRISTMAS STORE?! :santa: I really wish I could go there! I’m guessing you got some decorations? After all, Christmas is just over a month away! Goodness- how time flies! Bavarian Inn looks wonderful! Tempting! I would fly over there right now if I could. It goes to show that the east coast has many interesting places to visit. My parents think the west coast is far more exciting, but the east coast has lots of stuff to do IMHO, like Bavarian Inn, Stone Mountain, etc. :rolleyes:
Oh that’s great about Gwyneth getting to see Reba! I thought she was away on an educational trip or something. It’s so nice to catch up with old friends. What a nice treat for Gwyneth to get to go so soon after the baby was born. Airfare can be so expensive, too! Did she fly on her own? I would find that terrifying! :rotfl:
----------------------------------------------
Hi Gwyn! Happy Birthday, firstly! I hope you had a great day! It’s so great that you got to go and see Reba and her baby so soon. :cloud9:
How old was Reba’s baby? Was she only a few days/weeks old? That’s a shame that you couldn’t go out much… but it’s fun playing with 5 year old girls though! Is Chuckie Cheese’s a restaurant or something? I’ve never heard of it! Lol. ;)
You can make nachos? I didn’t know you could! Lol. They aren’t very popular here, apart from in cinemas. About the cookies! My baking never turns out right either. :upsidedow
I guess ‘hanging out’ is the best part of visiting friends. Hope you enjoyed it though! Travelling is always fun. :goodvibes
-----------------------------------------------
LOL about the cookies! Most of my baking ends up going wrong, even if I’m not doing it with a friend. Out of interest, what exactly are cookies in the US? Here we have ‘chocolate chip cookies’ and the like, but for most things we say ‘biscuits’. Although don’t you have a different meaning for that, too? I have a little guidebook of language in America, and things like ‘biscuit’ and ‘scone’ mean completely different things, apparently! :surfweb:
Oh, I have heard of Baltimore! It is quite well known here, and apparently a good place to visit. I’m not quite sure where it is though, lol. Reba’s sister is married to your cousin? Small world, right? :lmao: Sounds like you and your family are all very close, and get on really well most of the time! That must be nice. :goodvibes

...How far away is Michigan from you? And was it really cold?

... I’m guessing you got some decorations? ...Bavarian Inn looks wonderful! ...My parents think the west coast is far more exciting, but the east coast has lots of stuff to do IMHO, like Bavarian Inn, Stone Mountain, etc. :rolleyes:

... Did she fly on her own? I would find that terrifying! :rotfl:

... Out of interest, what exactly are cookies in the US? Here we have ‘chocolate chip cookies’ and the like, but for most things we say ‘biscuits’. Although don’t you have a different meaning for that, too? I have a little guidebook of language in America, and things like ‘biscuit’ and ‘scone’ mean completely different things, apparently! :surfweb:

Oh, I have heard of Baltimore! It is quite well known here, and apparently a good place to visit. I’m not quite sure where it is though, lol. Reba’s sister is married to your cousin? Small world, right? :lmao: Sounds like you and your family are all very close, and get on really well most of the time! That must be nice. :goodvibes

The place in Michigan we went to was about a 4 1/2 hour drive for us from our house in central Ohio, roughly the same as the drive from London to Edinburgh. ;) It was somewhat cold our first night there, around 2 celcius. Brrr. But a weather front moved through and it was a little warmer the next day around 10 celcius if I remember correctly.

Yes, I did get some decorations. I'm so happy with them, I'm going to put my tree up early this year. :goodvibes

Don't forget the west coast has the original Disneyland! Not a bad place for a vacation, I'm sure. :rotfl:

Gwyneth did fly on her own. That was her second solo flight. However the first time, I got the airline to escort her. This time she felt like an old hand at it. ;p

Our cookies are the same as your biscuits. We make all kinds, chocolate chip and every thing else too. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting this year and see what I can do with converting some of my recipes to using gluten free flour alternatives. :eek: I just wasn't up to it last year for the holidays so we did a cookie-free holiday. ;)

Baltimore is a cool place to visit. You'll have to look in an atlas. :laughing: I didn't really like living in Maryland though. :rolleyes1 I do get on well with my cousin who still lives there and his wife and her sister. Gives me a smile when I think of introducing him to the sisters, considering how nicely it has worked out for him. :goodvibes

Here is a link for my Mom's favorite place to take kids site-seeing in Baltimore. (My mom grew up in Baltimore.)

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

Hey, this is Gwyn, my mom suggested I make an account.
Reba's baby is only three weeks old. Chuckie Cheese's is kind of a cross between a resturant and an arcade I guess (sorry I'm really bad at explaining things) you can get pizza and get tokens to play games and stuff like that :banana: it was really fun.
Yup I can make nacho's completely by scratch but we just bought some nacho chips and baked them in the oven with cheese and chicken :yay: so yummy. I used to be pretty good but a couple years went by that I didn't bake hardly at all and now I mess up all the time :guilty: all well I guess it's not a big deal right now if I can't bake since my mom can't have gluten anyways, but I'm going to try to make a pie for thanksgiving this year :cool1: .
Yeah it was a lot of fun, I love to travel.

The place in Michigan we went to was about a 4 1/2 hour drive for us from our house in central Ohio, roughly the same as the drive from London to Edinburgh. ;) It was somewhat cold our first night there, around 2 celcius. Brrr. But a weather front moved through and it was a little warmer the next day around 10 celcius if I remember correctly.

Yes, I did get some decorations. I'm so happy with them, I'm going to put my tree up early this year. :goodvibes

Don't forget the west coast has the original Disneyland! Not a bad place for a vacation, I'm sure. :rotfl:

Gwyneth did fly on her own. That was her second solo flight. However the first time, I got the airline to escort her. This time she felt like an old hand at it. ;p

Our cookies are the same as your biscuits. We make all kinds, chocolate chip and every thing else too. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting this year and see what I can do with converting some of my recipes to using gluten free flour alternatives. :eek: I just wasn't up to it last year for the holidays so we did a cookie-free holiday. ;)

Baltimore is a cool place to visit. You'll have to look in an atlas. :laughing: I didn't really like living in Maryland though. :rolleyes1 I do get on well with my cousin who still lives there and his wife and her sister. Gives me a smile when I think of introducing him to the sisters, considering how nicely it has worked out for him. :goodvibes

Here is a link for my Mom's favorite place to take kids site-seeing in Baltimore. (My mom grew up in Baltimore.)

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

Oh, 4 1/2 hours isn't too far! I thought Michigan and Ohio were further apart. :eek: I really ought to get to know the states more! 2 degrees celcius is cold! Almost freezing temperature! Thanks for using celcius- I am hopeless at using farenheit! I don't understand it at all. At least nowadays there are conversion things on the internet! :surfweb:

Isn't it bad luck to put up your tree early? Oh or take it down late? I'm hopeless with facts. :rotfl: Do you have a real tree? We used to have an artificial one, but real ones are so much nicer- and I love their smell.

Oh yes- Disneyland! Have you ever been there? I think there's one park. I've looked into prices... :rolleyes1 ... let's just say it's expensive. :laughing:

I didn't even know under 15s were allowed to fly on their own- I thought you had to be escorted until you were 16. Obviously Gwyneth is braver than me! I can barely get the bus. I have been on the train on my own a lot though- except today they weren't running properly- again! People keep stealing wires from the tracks or something. So annoying!

Definately try cooking gluten free! It will make your Christmas more 'Christmassy'! Whoever heard of a Christmas without gingerbread biscuits and cookies? ;) Do you have mince pies in the US for Christmas? Sorry if that sounds silly- but I know you don't have all the same things as us. Apparently you guys don't have Christmas crackers either!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker

Speaking of that, I have also heard you don't have chocolate eggs at Easter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chocolate_Easter_egg.jpg

Thanks for the link! Baltimore does look good fun! Why didn't you like Maryland much? Is it really different to Ohio? At least you get to visit and see your family! :goodvibes

Hey, this is Gwyn, my mom suggested I make an account.
Reba's baby is only three weeks old. Chuckie Cheese's is kind of a cross between a resturant and an arcade I guess (sorry I'm really bad at explaining things) you can get pizza and get tokens to play games and stuff like that :banana: it was really fun.
Yup I can make nacho's completely by scratch but we just bought some nacho chips and baked them in the oven with cheese and chicken :yay: so yummy. I used to be pretty good but a couple years went by that I didn't bake hardly at all and now I mess up all the time :guilty: all well I guess it's not a big deal right now if I can't bake since my mom can't have gluten anyways, but I'm going to try to make a pie for thanksgiving this year :cool1: .
Yeah it was a lot of fun, I love to travel.

Hi Gwyn! Love your username! :goodvibes
Oh, 3 weeks is very young. I hear it's getting cold on the east coast- apparently there was lots of early snow recently. :eek:
Oh, whoops- I assumed from it's name that it had something to do with cheese! That sounds fun playing games while you eat and stuff. We don't have stuff like that here. :upsidedow
I've never tasted nachos. Do they taste like crisps?
Maybe you'll get better at cooking again! Practice makes perfect! You will get a chance to make gluten free cookies at Christmas though, with your mum!
Oh yes, thanksgiving! When is thanksgiving? I thought it was mid November- but that's already gone by! :rotfl:

Hello everyone! Back to the TR!

After our breakfast at Boma, we headed over to Epcot. We got there at about 10am I think.

IMG_5724-1.gif

We got a FP for Soarin' I think, and after that we decided to head over to Test Track and see what the wait was.

IMG_5725-1.jpg

However it was quite long. It said a 50 minute wait- and we all queued up. I didn't want to wait that long though. I took Rory off to WS to look at the countries. We signed up for the Kim Possible mission but never actually did it- much to Rory's disappointment! We got to WS at about ten to eleven. Maelstrom was opening at 11am, so we got in with a 10 minute wait. It was really busy the rest of the day, so I was glad we did it! It's such a cute little ride! We managed to get to China and Germany too, and did a Kidcot. By then, my parents and Willum had been on Test Track and we met up at Soarin'. They had actually queued for an hour and a half! Eeek.

After we had ridden Soarin', we headed over to WS for our ADR at Chefs de France. We looked around beforehand.

IMG_5736-1.gif

IMG_5737-1.jpg

IMG_5738-1.gif

IMG_5741-1.jpg

IMG_5742-1.jpg

IMG_5743-1.jpg

Such a pretty 'country'! Anyway, Chefs de France was really busy, but we got let in eventually.

Lunch at Les Chefs de France

IMG_5780-1.jpg

We were all very hungry, and couldn't wait to eat. Our waitress was quite friendly too.

IMG_5749-1.gif

IMG_5752-1.jpg

IMG_5753-1.jpg

Here is the food we had. It was yummy- especially the onion soup! Definately try it- seriously!

IMG_5754-1.jpg

IMG_5756-1.jpg

Kids' appetizer:

IMG_5758-1.jpg

Our entrees: (Sorry for the ones that have been slightly eaten!)

IMG_5770-1.jpg

Kids' entree:

IMG_5771-1.jpg

and...

IMG_5775-1.jpg

IMG_5772-1.jpg

IMG_5774-1.jpg

Remy came along- but his friend thought we wanted his photo:

IMG_5763-1.jpg

Then- Remy!

IMG_5765-1.jpg

We used to be big fans of the movie when Rory was younger (we still are!) so meeting Remy was pretty awesome!

Of course, someone walking past seemed to be interested in little Remy...

IMG_5761-1.jpg

After that, we left the restaurant and went on with our day at Epcot.

Definately try Chefs de France if you haven't before. We will consider it when we return to WDW, but there are so many restaurants in Epcot that we may want to try a different one.

If you have Remy fans- do go! We got in at about 1pm and he came out soon after.

Thanks for reading- see you soon!

Megan

Just to say...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :santa: :jumping1: :dancer: party: :charac2: :rockband:

What's everyone doing to celebrate? :cool1:

I have never celebrated it in my life, although I wish I had. I told my friends today it was Thanksgiving and they got cross with me and told me there was no WAY is was Thanksgiving!!! Urmmmmmm?! :confused3

Here in the UK there are no signs to show that it is Thanksgiving. It just isn't done here at all! Sometimes I REALLY wish I lived in America! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until the 25th December for some festive fun and turkey!

(Sorry if I have got the dates wrong and it isn't Thanksgiving at all!)

I'll post some photographs of what I have been doing this Thanksgiving day later. Nearly 7pm and I'm exhausted!

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Megan :yay:

Thank you! It IS Thanksgiving! We are staying home, cooking, watching movies and just hanging out with the family. :yay:
I love this time of year! :cheer2:
You are so kind to wish all the Americans here a Happy Thanksgiving!

Enjoy your day!
Suzanne and family :banana:

And Happy Thanksgiving to you, Meggie Beth! We had a really good day. But I had a bunch of details in the message I sent you and some in the post I put on eat at home thread yesterday. So you'll have to read those. tehehehe. I hope you are going to eat something turkey just to participate a little, even if just a turkey sandwich! You can close your eyes and say to yourself, this is my Thanksgiving leftovers! :wizard:

Thank you! It IS Thanksgiving! We are staying home, cooking, watching movies and just hanging out with the family. :yay:
I love this time of year! :cheer2:
You are so kind to wish all the Americans here a Happy Thanksgiving!

Enjoy your day!
Suzanne and family :banana:

Hello there! It's really nice to hear from you! :goodvibes

Thank goodness I actually got the date right! I wasn't sure if it was a fixed date every year or different dates like Easter. :rotfl:

That sounds so nice- watching movies, cooking, hanging out.... I hope you had a great day! I love this time of year too... Just a bit cold for my liking! ;) What's the weather like where you are? I've heard it's reasonably warm most of the year. :cloud9:

Aww, thanks! I love thanksgiving even though I've never actually celebrated it. I still love wishing everyone that does celebrate it a happy day though! I've never had the opportunity before though, so it's nice! :goodvibes

Looking forward to Christmas? Everyone's getting excited here! I'm casually looking on the Disney Store and Amazon for any Disney things I can ask for. :rolleyes1 less than a month now!

Say hi to your family for me! :)
-Meg

And Happy Thanksgiving to you, Meggie Beth! We had a really good day. But I had a bunch of details in the message I sent you and some in the post I put on eat at home thread yesterday. So you'll have to read those. tehehehe. I hope you are going to eat something turkey just to participate a little, even if just a turkey sandwich! You can close your eyes and say to yourself, this is my Thanksgiving leftovers! :wizard:

Hello there! It's great you had a good day! I've read your message- sounds like the parade was great fun! That is something I would love to see- I'll have to look it up on YouTube. Sound like you were busy cooking too! A great excuse to cook something more 'special'. :goodvibes

I have almost finished replying to the message- so hopefully you'll actually get it tomorrow! I've been quite ill since Thanksgiving but I'm mostly better now- thank goodness! I'll check out the posts you put up tomorrow hopefully! It's almost midnight here... And I'm not even tired. I think I'd better go to bed soon to avoid falling asleep at school tomorrow! :rotfl:

Hehe- turkey is pretty expensive- but I'm sure they must sell it sliced like ham. Turns out we aren't having turkey at all this year- we are going up to Scotland and spending Christmas with my grandmother. I think she's planning steak. :lmao: so you will have to enjoy your turkey for me- lol. I thought you guys didn't have turkey at Christmas- only thanksgiving. Can't wait till Christmas- haven't spent it in Scotland for 10 years- so it will be great. I'm pretty sure you must have your Christmas tree up by now- with those lovely decorations you bought on your weekend away. :cloud9:

Hello there! It's great you had a good day! I've read your message- sounds like the parade was great fun! That is something I would love to see- I'll have to look it up on YouTube. Sound like you were busy cooking too! A great excuse to cook something more 'special'. :goodvibes

I have almost finished replying to the message- so hopefully you'll actually get it tomorrow! I've been quite ill since Thanksgiving but I'm mostly better now- thank goodness! I'll check out the posts you put up tomorrow hopefully! It's almost midnight here... And I'm not even tired. I think I'd better go to bed soon to avoid falling asleep at school tomorrow! :rotfl:

Hehe- turkey is pretty expensive- but I'm sure they must sell it sliced like ham. Turns out we aren't having turkey at all this year- we are going up to Scotland and spending Christmas with my grandmother. I think she's planning steak. :lmao: so you will have to enjoy your turkey for me- lol. I thought you guys didn't have turkey at Christmas- only thanksgiving. Can't wait till Christmas- haven't spent it in Scotland for 10 years- so it will be great. I'm pretty sure you must have your Christmas tree up by now- with those lovely decorations you bought on your weekend away. :cloud9:

Aww, I'm glad you are feeling better now.

Hehe, steak for Christmas. Yeah, here most people do turkey for Thanksgiving, but not all. Some families also do turkey for Christmas but not nearly as many. Some families do a big ham for x-mas and others just have there own special family traditional meal. My husband's family was military and stationed in Germany for most of his childhood and they do Bratwurst for Christmas. :lmao: I've done just about everything under the sun for that meal, myself. We are overdue to buy some pork for the freezer so I guess I'll have a nice ham that comes with that deal, once I get in touch with the farmer and put in my order. I really need to get on that!

Yep, my tree is up now. And I took pics of the ornaments on it tonight. :happytv:

OK, I'm going to go learn how to download pics from my camera and maybe even do stuff with 'em online. ... or I'll get my daughter to do. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter