Our school has cancelled all field trips for the remainder of this school year

Towncrier

DIS Veteran
It appears that the terrorists are winning their battle here in NE Ohio. The high school marching band was scheduled to make a trip to New York City this spring. The trip was optional and parents were asked to pay a $100 non-refundable deposit if their child was interested in participating.

We got a letter from the school Friday that informed us that this field trip and all remaining field trips for the 2002-2003 school year have been cancelled due to concerns about possible terrorist activities.

When I approached the school board president to ask him about this decision, he told me that he would rather have 1000 disappointed students than to have 1 student injured or killed. I suggested that, in addition to cancelling all field trips, that the school should consider eliminating all other dangerous activities such as sports, gym classes, and waiting on the corner in sub-zero weather for a school bus. He told me that it wasn't the same thing. I suggested that he canvas the parents of these students that he is so concerned about to see what their feelings are. By then he wasn't listening anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I would gladly forfeit $10,000 if it meant that my child would be safe. I just don't believe that we should crawl under a rock and wait for the all-clear signal. Sue and I carefully considered the fact that James would be travelling to NYC before we gave our permission for him to be on the band trip. And I'm sure that most if not all of the other parents did the same thing.

In two years (when both of my children will be in high school), the band is scheduled to travel to WDW to perform. I certainly hope that the field trip ban is lifted by then.

Score one for the Taliban.

So you aren't getting the $100 back? Did you sign some sort of paper stating the conditions of the nonrefundable money? I would think that if they choose to cancel then you should get your money back. I mean if they aren't spending it on the trip why should they keep it?

That happened here with one of our bands and the parents are up in arms and trying to make the school board repay the students the $50,000 they are out on trips that cannot be refunded!

Personally , I think this is STUPID. It is the parent's job to decide if it is safe. If the parent does not think a trip is safe then don't let your child go. (That is what the parents of the local band are saying also). Besides more kids have been killed by guns at their own school than by terrorists on these field trips!

So far the policy for our school district is that field trips will go on as scheduled - the terrorists will not run our lives. I'm happy about that. DD is going to Quebec in June, and she would be heartbroken if that trip is canceled.

I'm very sorry to hear James won't be going to NY. I'm sure he's pretty bummed out - that would have been a great time for him and the other kids. :(

The $100 deposit (per student) was paid to the tour company. The form that we signed stated that the deposit was non-refundable. PERIOD.

It's unfair to the tour company to expect them to return the deposit as they have probably had to make payments to secure buses and rooms. Besides, they should be paid for the work that they have done arranging this trip.

I think that the superintendent of schools should refund the money out of his own pocket.

I will think twice (or thrice) before making another deposit for a field trip.

John,
The parents here are going to the school board and basically threatening them with legal action. They either want the trip re-instated or the school board to pay them back! They aren't even trying to get the tour companies to pay them back.

Okay........that makes us families who live just outside of NYC feel just great. Boy, this burns my britches. I guess it would follow that he thinks that those of us who were born and raised and still live around here with our kids are 'child endanger'ers!' :mad: :mad: :mad:

My DD's school just sent the 9th & 10th graders to Paris and the 11th and 12th graders to Rome for Spring Break. It was up to the parents to decide if they wanted their children to go and not one backed out and they had two fabulous trips. Should I mention that we live in NYC?

The school board would be refunding my $100, John. This is not a good thing on their part. The parents should decide if their child should experience a field trip or not, especially if they have paid a nonrefundable deposit.

Norah leaves next week for the Presidential Classroom program...in Washington DC...

am I abit anxious? absolutely.

Is it going to stop me from letting her go? no way.

Towncrier...I'm sorry the kids wont get the trip promised them..it's truely a shame.

John, it should be your decision, and the money should be refunded by the school dept if they were the ones who cancelled nd not the parents. I would fight this right down to the end. Kassie, is a student ambassador and will be in London and Paris for two weeks this summer. I am a wreck over it, but the group is taking every precaution, and I have made contacts there if needed already (got to love DISERS) The thing is that it is a trip of a lifetime that may never be repeated for her, I am not going to let the terrorists win.

Originally posted by Towncrier

I just don't believe that we should crawl under a rock and wait for the all-clear signal. .

I totally agree. Will there ever be an "all-clear" signal in our country? Unfortunately, terrorism is just not going to go away, even if they capture Bin Laden. There will be someone new to take his place. If we wait for the world to be totally safe, we will spend our lives waiting.
The superintendent should indeed refund your money!

I am so sorry your sons trip was canceled.That official seems to be over-reacting just a tad.Sure these are uncertain times we live in,but we can't just stop living.My DS who is 13 is going on a field trip this spring to NY/NJ to see The Lion King on Braodway and some other fun stuff as part of his chorus competition/trip.I'm a little nervous,but I know he's in God's hands and there's no safer place to be.Maybe he will reconsider if a bunch of you parents set up a time to meet with him and have a rational discussion about it.

I guess it would follow that he thinks that those of us who were born and raised and still live around here with our kids are 'child endanger'ers!'

Shame on all of you who still live in and around DC, NYC, and Pennsylvania. You should all move here to NE Ohio where it's nice and safe. :rolleyes:

I was wondering how the superintendents of schools in the truly dangerous parts of our world cope with the issue of terrorism. Perhaps we need some sort of foreign exchange program for our school administrators so that they can see the real world along with it's real problems.

I am very sorry you and your family are disappointed about the field trip. I also agree it seems unfair to not get your deposit back. But, I seem to be in the minority on this one. I have to admit New York, Washington D. C. seem to be more of a target. My children are grown, and married with families but if they were young and still in school I would be hesitant to send them off in these terrible unfair times we have right now.:(

That's just a shame. The school board should be teaching the children to live life, not be scared of it. Too bad. I hope something happens to allow the parents to make the decisions for their children.

I wouldn't be too happy at all. The school board shouldn't make decisions when deposits are at stake unless they are willing to pay the parents back. Any idea what caused the knee-jerk reaction?

All of our field trips here are canceled, too, but NOT because of fear. Ours is a money issue. Liability mandates that we have a bus for a field trip. The only way we can have a bus is if the kids either split the cost or if we have enough money in the club's account to pay for it. Sad, isn't it? My pay-cut goes into effect with the next paycheck. :(

Our county school board just voted to do away with out of state field trips. The band at one high school lost $12,600 in deposits paid for a competetion at Universal. I think that it is unfair, and a shame that those parents and kids who worked so hard to earn money for the trip can't go. You never know what is going to happen when--that is why you live life to your best, and always be prepared to go.

I would be furious! If there was a true terrorist threat then maybe but why teach the kids to live under a rock. (Well you do live in NE Ohio ;) ) The school board needs to pay back the deposits since they are the one's that canceled. I can see the agreements for fieldtrips changing now. "Stupidity on the part of the school board is grounds to cancel field trips, no refunds, no exceptions." :rolleyes:

I will remember this when I have to pay the deposit for my DD's trip to DC next year.

DS16 leaves Sat. for Hawaii. It's a Band trip. Thankfully, we haven't had any problem with the School Board.:D

DH & I thought about him travelling. I know the Band Directors and Trip Organizers have planned things out to be as safe as possible. We can't stop living. If we wait for a "safe" time, it may never happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter