Our school has cancelled all field trips for the remainder of this school year

The school board should be teaching the children to live life, not be scared of it.

Couldn't agree more.

So sorry that this happened, TC. Hopefully they will reconsider.

What is it teaching the kids if they cancel everything?

Who's to say that Cleveland could be a target as well? Truly anywhere, everywhere is a target. We are very near Philadelphia.. (as you know). Does it bother us?

I bet this superindentent duct taped his house as well..:rolleyes:

My son's school (Middle School) cancelled all trips to NYC after this last raised terror alert. He was supposed to go to Yankee stadium this month. He is disappointed, but that is just part of life.
My other son is going to see a Broadway play in the spring, it hasn't been cancelled yet so we will see what happens.
Taking a group of kids on a field trip is a huge responsibility, so the schools must make a judgement call on what they feel is in the best interest of safety for the students.

John - That is just ridiculous! My niece went to NYC last spring on her choir field trip and that was just 6 months after 9/11. The only change made to their trip was that they took the train instead of flying. (Not exactly sure why that made them safer?)

Cancelling the trip is just nuts! I think your super is a bit paranoid. Glad to hear that you suggested he cancel gym and other dangerous things! LOL!!! Good for you!

I'd keep up the heat...........

I work for a student tour company. We have had a few schools cancel this year because of fear. Our policy is also non-refundable deposits. However, all money is credited if the trip is postponed until another date within 1 year. There is no way it can be refunded because it has been paid out by us to our vendors. We have groups in Washington and New York right now that are having a great time. There is nothing worse than fear. The schools are so afraid that a parent will sue them if something happens while the group is away. They are more afraid of litigation by the parents than a terrorist act. So sad.

Originally posted by willowzmom
The schools are so afraid that a parent will sue them if something happens while the group is away. They are more afraid of litigation by the parents than a terrorist act. So sad.
I agree 100%.

FEAR... False Evidence Appearing Real.

I find this so amazing...

New York was never a "safe" place when I lived there, PRE Rudy. I saw muggings, robberies, murders and horrible accidents almost every week. Yet, I lived there in those mean streets for 31 years. Everytime I walked out into the street it wasl all about defense and self preservation.

What I'm saying is this new "fear" is not new to me. Of course what I dealt with does not make headlines, but it made me a stronger person.

I find what this school board is doing to be inexcusable. As mentioned before it's giving these kids the wrong message. MILLIONS of children live in New York City, their "excuse" is idiotic.

I would definitely seek litigation against the school board for their choice. No one should be out of money due to their FEAR.

I have to agree that this most likely has more to do with fear of a parent sueing the school if something would happen than fear of an attack. It is a shame but a pretty high risk for the school to take on any field trip. Working on a School Board is a tough job, there is no way to keep everyone happy, including the lawyers. While you and the kids are rightfully upset by the timing, try to see the other side too. I doubt they made this decision without carefully considering both sides. It is their responsibility to do whatever possible to protect the children.

DS's HS Band was supposed to go to Italy next month. They did the fund raising, but it's not going to happen. They are going to Washington DC and Pennsylvania instead.
DS is very upset since he's already been, he really wanted to go to Italy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter