Our first WDW trip-August 2002


Earning My Ears
May 10, 2002
Our first trip to WDW-August 13-19 2002 part 1
Featuring Mom & Dad
Leslie-age 14
Rory-age 10
Avery age 6, and celebrated 7th birthday on August 19th.

Day 1
We had an 8:15 flight out of Philadelphia, so we left at 5:20, drove 45 minutes to Pacifico airport parking, and were dropped off at the airport by 6:30. We arrived at Orlando airport by 10:30.
Tiffany Town Car picked us up right away and we made our mad dash through Publix Grocery Store. Then it was on to Fort Wilderness Campground. Our cabin was ready for us, so we unpacked and had lunch.
We went on to Magic Kingdom by boat, where it started to shower. By the time we docked it had stopped. We took the train to Mickey's Toon Town Fair and had fun visiting all the houses, and Mickey Mouse.
Then it started to pour. We were disorriented and tired and made an attempt to get on some rides. Soon lightening started and pretty much everything outside shut down. There were long lines everywhere for indoor attractions. We decided to head back to the cabin. Everyone was miserable. We did decide to get on Pirates of the Carribean (even though I thought it would be corney), there was no waiting, this is where we discovered how much is put into the rides at WDW. We were pleasantly surprised at Pirates, and really enjoyed it. Then we did go back to the cabin for dinner and got to bed early so we could make a fresh start in the morning.
Day 2
Back to Magic Kingdom first thing in the morning. We got up early for the character caravan, featuring Dweedle Dee and Dweedle Dum, The White Rabbit, and Goofy.
Day 2 went much better. We got with the fastpass system, and enjoyed lots of rides and activities while waiting for our fastpass time to come. What a great system, no waiting in line! It rained twice this day. Once, while we were eating lunch at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon, and once the minute we were safe inside our cabin. We had gone back for dinner and rest.
The Diamond Horseshoe Revue was lots of fun. Food was decent, a little skimpy for the money, (we were starving), but the entertainment was well worthwhile. The singing cowboys took a shine to my son Avery and used his head for a cowboy hat ring toss, and posed for pictures. We watched the parade and got loads of great pictures before heading back to the cabin. I found the biggest crowds at all the parks are during the parades and you have to line up early!
We went back to MK that night to watch Spectro Magic, and the fireworks. Unfortunately, we discovered we had been waiting off the parade route, so we didn't get a very good view. But the parade was wonderful!
We followed the tip from the Dis board about the fireworks and waited on the bridge to Tommorowland. I was amazed to see Tinkerbell fly right over us! I thought she was an animontronic figure, I didn't know she would be a live person! We watched most of the fireworks while making a bee-line for the exit, to beat the crowd, and we did get right on the first boat back.
Sometimes the first day can be overwelming. Glad to hear you rebounded. Isn't fun to find the magic ?


Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!