Our first trip to Universal

nlenguyen

PharmDis95
After many years, I believe it was 2005 the last time I went to Universal Hollywood, I will be going with my family to Universal Orlando. Since we want to experience the Wizarding World experiences, we are getting the park-to-park ticket.
My question is if I am underestimating the time to experience the Wizarding World. We only got a two day ticket. We were thinking of doing the Wizarding World on our first day, then all the other rides like Velocicoaster, etc. on another day in the week. In January were the lines low enough we could do more than just the WW attractions?

We are going the second week in January. Jan 8 and Jan 12
If you are going January 8 to 12 and can afford it, consider booking a stay at Portofino Bay. There is a "Savvy Traveler" rate available for those 4 nights, and staying at Portofino Bay includes Universal Express Unlimited. If you are familiar with Walt Disney World, this is like getting unlimited access to Disney's Lightning Lane all day long! Only 2 major attractions are not included (Hagrid's Motorbike and VelociCoaster).

Universal Express Unlimited completely changes the way you tour a theme park.

1652623503708.png

Alternatively, book the Royal Pacific for just one night in the middle of your trip. You'll get Express Pass Unlimited for both your check-in and check-out days. Two days with Express Pass is enough time to experience all attractions at US and IOA.

1652624071597.png

Where are you staying? If you stay at one of the 3 "luxury" hotels you will get express pass. You can easily cover both parks in 2 days, with relaxing time.
We are staying at an airbnb. Because there is 7 of us, my sister says it would be cheaper to do it that way

If you are going January 8 to 12 and can afford it, consider booking a stay at Portofino Bay. There is a "Savvy Traveler" rate available for those 4 nights, and staying at Portofino Bay includes Universal Express Unlimited. If you are familiar with Walt Disney World, this is like getting unlimited access to Disney's Lightning Lane all day long! Only 2 major attractions are not included (Hagrid's Motorbike and VelociCoaster).

Universal Express Unlimited completely changes the way you tour a theme park.

View attachment 669306

Alternatively, book the Royal Pacific for just one night in the middle of your trip. You'll get Express Pass Unlimited for both your check-in and check-out days. Two days with Express Pass is enough time to experience all attractions at US and IOA.

View attachment 669307
I looked into that. One of my family members thinks it is crazy to spend over $150 a night on a single room. We are staying in a Disney Vacation Club Resort for 7 nights that has already been accounted for and then one additional night for our trip in an airbnb so the cost can be split and is only $70-100 a night per family for that one stay. I see your point with the free express pass but they don't seem to see it that way

Last edited:
We are staying at an airbnb. Because there is 7 of us, my sister says it would be cheaper to do it that way
Do Universal on back to back days and get a throw away room for just your family then. Can probably get Royal pacific for about $300 that time. Express Pass is about $125 a person. Your family can skip the lines that way. If the others don't want to you can.

After many years, I believe it was 2005 the last time I went to Universal Hollywood, I will be going with my family to Universal Orlando. Since we want to experience the Wizarding World experiences, we are getting the park-to-park ticket.
My question is if I am underestimating the time to experience the Wizarding World. We only got a two day ticket. We were thinking of doing the Wizarding World on our first day, then all the other rides like Velocicoaster, etc. on another day in the week. In January were the lines low enough we could do more than just the WW attractions?
In early January the lines won't be long at all. Two days will get you everything.

Go to Diagon Alley first and spend a few hours exploring and doing the ride three of four times. Then take the train to Hogsmeade and finish up your first day. Most likely you'll get both Harry Potter lands done by 2 or 3PM so you'll have time to do more than the WW attractions.

Do Universal on back to back days and get a throw away room for just your family then. Can probably get Royal pacific for about $300 that time. Express Pass is about $125 a person. Your family can skip the lines that way. If the others don't want to you can.

This is what I would do as well. You get to use the Express pass on both your check in and check out day, so I would book one night there for just your family at the end of the trip instead of joining the others at the airbnb, and go to the parks those two days, say Jan 11 and 12. With just two days in the parks, I would suggest checking into the hotel super early on the 11th and dropping your bags with bell services or leaving them in your car, so that you can make it to IOA an hour before early entry starts. Then I would prioritize Hagrid's and Velocicoaster before spending the rest of the morning at Hogsmeade, then take the train over to UO for Diagon Alley. Ride other rides at UO then train back for the other rides at IOA. Crash at hotel, wash and repeat the second day and you'll be able to ride everything at least once and Hagrid's and Velocicoaster twice - they're worth it.

But then, I haven't traveled to Orlando with extended family since I was a kid. Some folks prioritize budget, others time, and honestly my family is really budget-conscious, whereas I'm happy to spend money to save time on vacation. My mom and DH know better than to question my planning. Mom calls me the general. 🤣 But they never wait in lines.

We did it without express pass and two days would have been enough but we did wait in lines. Rope drop was key. Have a great time!

Echoing what others have said. I have done it staying in an airbnb with family and then learned that it was much cheaper to stay the one night, get early entry and the express passes. On the first trip we paid more for one day of express than the one night on the subsequent trip which gave us two days of express pass. Another thing to share is that day 3 and 4 only added about 10 or 20 more dollars each. We used the extra couple of days so the kids could just hang out in Harry Potter and take it all in.

I discussed with my family that since we are staying on Disney property while at the resort, we probably won't be able to afford another resort at Universal. I have been watching some videos and in January there are some days that are pretty low crowds. I have read that doing the less popular rides in the morning is better and wait for the big rides at night. Not sure how true this is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter