Our First Magical Poly Vacation: April 14-21 2012!

Great Job!! So glad to be joining in on your trip report.
A prep for ours in a few weeks!!
Although ours will be much more slow paced with our little one
in a wheelchair. Doesn't matter though, as our other two are so excited we're staying at the Polynesian!!! So glad I booked the cabanas a month ago. Something we learned on these wonderful DIS boards!!!

Thanks again for all the pictures and letting us tag along on your beautiful vacation!!!

Janice:cheer2:

I've got a few more Poly pictures coming up!

Looks like a fun day!! Sorry you had to spend part of the day looking like you peed in your pants, lol!! But I'm sure you weren't the only one:lmao:

We did. And yes, there were a couple of other people that were sporting smiliar looks. :lmao:

Oh wow! I'm sure your DS's wake-up is one he'll never forget!! Too cute! Fun day!! :thumbsup2

Yup, he still talks about it!

Sunday April 15th Part II- Hollywood Studios

A little more background if you haven’t read my PTR. This is practically the first time any of us were touring DHS. We skipped the park in 2011. In 2008, we made a brief visit at night for Fantasmic but that was it. So I was a bit anxious about the touring plan I had set up for this day since I wasn’t familiar with the layout of the park. I was purely going by what I had learned on DIS and at easywdw.

We almost walked on TSM. There was not much of a wait – I think we hit the line right around the staircase. I was eager to find out what all the hype was about. Honestly, I didn’t think I would like the ride that much. From the youtube videos I’ve seen, it just looked like an arcade game. Boy, was I wrong. I had a blast! :thumbsup2 My fingers and hands were cramping from the rapid fire I laid on those poor targets lol. I had DS in my lap and he held on to the gun while I pulled the string. He loved it! DD was clamoring about her score at the end of the ride. The kids immediately started asking if we could go on it again as soon as we got off the ride, so I pulled FPs for all of us after exiting. We were out by 9:15am. Our FP return window was around 10:30am.

Next we headed towards Star Tours. I had rode this one a long time ago before they updated it. DD was nervous about going on this ride. I had tried showing her youtube videos but she just couldn’t cozy up against the idea of confronting Vader. We got a Rider Swap pass for DW. DFIL, myself, and DD got in line first while DW took DS to meet Mater and Lightning. There was no wait at all. I enjoyed the ride. DFIL loved it! He was chuckling out loud during the whole ride. The 3-D aspect of the ride is what really differentiates this from the original one in my opinion. DD was pretty tense during the entire ride. Once we got off, she declared that she had absolutely no interest in trying that one again with the rider swap pass. DW was waiting with DS outside when we exited, so she and DFIL went back in with the Riderswap pass. Not that they really needed it since the standby lines were so short this time in the morning.

While they were in, I strolled over with the kids to see what Phineas and Ferb were up to. There were only about two families in line! DD had some reservations about meeting them earlier in the day so I wasn’t planning on trying it. But when she saw them from afar, she decided she DID want to meet them. We entered the line which later turned out to be not such a good idea. We made our way to the front where now only one family was waiting their turn. Before I could reach them though, a woman who was standing to the side of the line taking pictures of her kids participating in one of those re-enactments of Phineas and Ferb scenes stops me and says that they’re in line and that I should wait until her kids are done. There’s about 30 feet of empty space between her and the end of the line which, did I mention, was only ONE family? I look behind me and there’s no one! :confused3 Now being a DISer, of course the first thing that flashed in my mind was, what did the line etiquette threads say about this situation? ;) As I just stood there for a few seconds, the CM saw what was happening, and told me to move forward and politely told the lady that they make sure that they won’t have to wait any longer than necessary once the scene was completed. It’s a good thing to, because they were still working on that scene when we finished our meet and greet. Speaking of the meet and greet, it did not go well. DD planted both feet on the yellow line that separates us and Phineas and Ferb. I was carrying DS in my arm and he buried his face in my shoulder as I walked toward the guys. DD by then was holding on to my leg for dear life so I did my best Frankeinstein walk impression as I hauled both kids to the center. I’m sure it was a hilarious sight. Here’s a dad who appears to be dragging his kids to meet Phineas and Ferb! :rotfl: Well at least neither of the were crying and screaming. They just acted very shy. Well, I figured we made it all the way to the center of the stage, and I just had to get pass the lady gatekeeper to get to this point, might as well hand my photopass card over and get it over with. There must have been something about the bigger than life versions of Phineas and Ferb that was imposing to the kids. We had absolutely no further problems with any of the characters we interacted with.

By the time we finished that meet and greet, DW called and said they were exiting the Star Tours, so I told them we would meet them in front of Muppetvision 3D. Tried taking some photos of the fountain. Boy, does the statue of Miss Piggy spin fast or what? Trying to capture her at the exact right time so that she’s looking straight at my camera and not her derriere required several attempts! :lmao:

Derriere
471d33af.jpg

Better ;)
IMG_1536.jpg

The show was cute. Kids liked it. DD nearly poked another child sitting in front of her when those 3D bubbles started floating out of the screen and she tried to pop one.

By the time we made it out, it was time to head back to TSM to use our FPs. Had to warn the kids ahead of the time that this would be the second and last time we’ll go on this ride. We all enjoyed it again, and for the rest of the week we heard choruses of “We want Toy Story ride!” from both kids so they must have really enjoyed it.

Now it was time to give the kids the opportunity to burn off some energy at the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. By this point, there were two things I wanted to do that we couldn’t fit into our plans. I really wanted to get a picture of me riding the Star Wars Speeder Bike in front of Star Tours. Yes, I’m a Star Wars fan. Another one was meeting Mike and Sulley near the Backlot Tours. After how the kids reacted to Phineas and Ferb, it wasn’t looking good trying this one for them, so we just skipped it. The playground was great! The kids tried most of the slides. DS got mentally stuck inside a tunnel – I say mentally as he could have easily physically handled it but he got too scared to go forward or backward on his own. The rope net structure was a big hit. DS got to ride on the ant.

"I feel so small in here!"
IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

Up Next: We found our new favorite ride!

What an awesome start to Day 1 of Disney Dave! We were both in DHS that day right? No photo-bombs yet, but it looks like we were taking a slightly different path than you through the park.

Great day so far!! and that Miss Piggy is hard to catch ~ I was trying to get a picture of her and my two big girls (actually looking and smiling at the same time)...didn't work out too well!

I LOVE the reaction your DFIL had on the ride!
That image is really the heart of what is Disney!!
Walt really captured every ingredient for a perfect recipe
wrapped up in these terrific parks. The kids are having great reactions
too.....they sound adorable!!

Joining in. Look forward to reading your report. We were at the Poly at the same time. Sad to be home...

Nice update! Glad you enjoyed HS, some don't! We happen to love it too! DH is a huge Star Wars fan, and loved Star Tours, not me though! I doubt I will do it again...ok maybe!;) Glad you had such an easy check in to the Poly, looking forward to more pics!:thumbsup2

Joining in. Look forward to reading your report. We were at the Poly at the same time. Sad to be home...

If you'd like to read my TR - our family was also at the poly the same time as Dave's. There were quite a few of us Dis-ers there it seems! :goodvibes

We didn't get a chance to ride TSM on our trip in Feb. Is it really that different from Buzz at MK? Is it worth waiting in that huge line if we don't get there early?

What an awesome start to Day 1 of Disney Dave! We were both in DHS that day right? No photo-bombs yet, but it looks like we were taking a slightly different path than you through the park.

Yup, we were there the same day, Charity. I went through all my pics didn't see you or your family in the background :lmao: I think you were probably 30 minutes or so ahead of us at each location at DHS.

Great day so far!! and that Miss Piggy is hard to catch ~ I was trying to get a picture of her and my two big girls (actually looking and smiling at the same time)...didn't work out too well!

Thanks! My DW was having a hard time as well with her iphone trying to catch Miss Piggy.

I LOVE the reaction your DFIL had on the ride!
That image is really the heart of what is Disney!!
Walt really captured every ingredient for a perfect recipe
wrapped up in these terrific parks. The kids are having great reactions
too.....they sound adorable!!

Thank you and I Totally agree with you about watching the reactions. That's one of the reasons why I love going on a Disney trip with a first-timer!

Thanks for joining in! I miss Disney AND Poly. I think the post-Disney depression is more severe this time around because how much we enjoyed staying at Poly. ;)

Nice update! Glad you enjoyed HS, some don't! We happen to love it too! DH is a huge Star Wars fan, and loved Star Tours, not me though! I doubt I will do it again...ok maybe!;) Glad you had such an easy check in to the Poly, looking forward to more pics!:thumbsup2

I have some nice pics coming up from MK at night and our Epcot WS Tours so stay tuned!

If you'd like to read my TR - our family was also at the poly the same time as Dave's. There were quite a few of us Dis-ers there it seems! :goodvibes

And some even in the same building! It still makes me laugh that Charity and I ended up in the same building because I didn't even make any specific building request for our reservation. Just asked for a patio room.

We didn't get a chance to ride TSM on our trip in Feb. Is it really that different from Buzz at MK? Is it worth waiting in that huge line if we don't get there early?

I think I can help you out with this question because I was exactly where you are right now prior to this trip. I kept thinking "It really can't be worth waiting in line for 2-3 hours, could it?" or "From the sounds of it, doesn't sound very different from Buzz at MK".

So first off, even though I enjoyed it immensely, I still don't think it's worth the long standby wait times, just my opinion. Then again, I don't really want to go on any ride that has me waiting for more than 30 minutes which is why I'm a big rope drop and FP fan! :thumbsup2

After finally getting to try TSM, I realized TSM and Buzz are very different rides, sort of like comparing apples and oranges. I love the Buzz ride because it has that old fashioned Disney feel to it. It's not that different from PP or Pooh in the sense that it's animatronics driven, and it envelops you in a world you saw in the movies. It just so happens that they added targets and a gun to the ride. The targets are not easy to hit with those laser pointers, you don't know what the point values are for the targets you are aiming for, and you don't get the instant gratification after hitting the target because there's no feedback reaction from the target, so as a shootem-up game it doesn't work as well.

All of these are better addressed on TSM. It's much more sharper and more intense! And it's definitely designed primarily as a shoot-em up arcade game. But unlike Buzz, you don't feel like you're being immersed in this other world while you're playing. It just feels like you're being shuttled from one video game station to the next.

So bottom line, I like TSM and Buzz for different reasons and would not want to replace one for the other. But I wouldn't want to wait more than 30 minutes for either of those rides and am thankful they have FPs. Hope that helps!

So bottom line, I like TSM and Buzz for different reasons and would not want to replace one for the other. But I wouldn't want to wait more than 30 minutes for either of those rides and am thankful they have FPs. Hope that helps!

Definitely helps Dave, thanks :) I am terrified of the July heat and crowds, so I have planned our days to take full advantage of the EMH schedule. We will hit the parks early for EMH, then take a break and head back to whatever park have the evening EMH after dinnertime. So maybe we will get a chance to try TSM this time around.

Oh I love the Poly! :love:

I'm so glad you liked TSM! I was the same way the first time I rode it. Like is it just a silly arcade thing? Boring?? But ABSOLUTELY not!!!! I just love that ride now!!!

Too funny about the Phineas and Ferb meeting! They are pretty scary! :rotfl:

JUST got home and subscribing to your TR! Maybe someday I'll write one, but for now, I'll leave that to DD! ;) Now I need to go back and read the first 4 pages! :)

Saturday April 15th Part III - Hollywood Studios

(Bear with me folks! This one is text heavy. I just didn't do a good job of taking a lot of pics at DHS. I promise, there are more pics for the next entry when I go on my solo tour of MK late night!)

Around noon while the kids were still playing, I made a run over to RnRC to pick up fastpasses. Thanks to the Disney Mobile Magic app on DW’s iphone, I was able to monitor the return time windows for the FP distribution while the kids were playing and once I saw the time window I wanted open up, I trekked over there and got them and met my family back at Mama Melrose’s for our first ADR lunch.

IMG_1530.jpg

I had read mixed reviews about Mama Melrose on DIS and elsewhere so I had lowered expectations about the food. Server was very nice. I was just happy to get out of the sun and cool down. I had the Chicken Campanelle and it was actually pretty good! DW had one of the flatbread and thought it was decent enough but nothing to write home about. DFIL had Piccata di Pesce and said he enjoyed it. All in all, we had a decent meal and had a relaxing time. On our way out of the restaurant, there were a couple of ladies standing right outside the doors to the restaurant posing for a picture while a CM tried to snap a shop. I’m pretty sure I photobombed that one with my face up against the window with the expression that said “Why are we taking a picture here?” :lmao: Oh well, to each their own. I want a picture on a Speeder Bike, others want a picture in front of the doors of Mama Melrose.

We headed over to the Voyage of the Little Mermaid and DD didn’t want anything to do with it. She still has a bit of a “phobia” for some of the villains of Disney movies which prevented her from trying a lot of the popular rides during our last trip. To her credit, she conquered most of those fears during this trip. But Ursula the Sea Witch was one she didn’t want to confront. So after much fussing about it, we decided to hop over to the other side of the street where Disney Junior Live was about to start. I made a mental note: characters DD is afraid of so far, 1. Ursula, 2. Phineas and Ferb. :sad2:

Disney Junior Live was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Of course anytime there’s a bubble machine and confetti involved, it’s going to be a hit with the kids. As we were walking in to the studio area where the show was to take place, DD announces that she has to go to the bathroom and it’s an emergency! We had just taken her 20 minutes before! Hmmm, another DIS board topic flashed in my head. ;) Well, fortunately when we asked one of the CMs about a restroom, they told us we could go in and head towards the back exit and there’s a restroom right there. So for all of the parents out there who may find themselves in a quandary looking for a restroom after entering Disney Junior Live, there you go!

Once we finished the show, we made our way to a little tucked in plaza area right by Hollywood Derby with some sitting area along the edges. It was almost 3pm so I had planned it so that the kids could watch the parade with one adult while the others take turns running over to RnRC and trying out the ride. As it turned out, RnRC has 360 loops and corkscrews. How I didn’t know this until I got on the ride is beyond me! After all that time reading the boards, there was something I still didn’t know! DW doesn’t do well with those types of turns on a coaster due to motion sickness. So it was just me and DFIL. LOVED the ride! On our way out, we grabbed some FPs for ToT. Went back to meet up with the kids and DW and the parade had just ended.

The Pixar Parade - well the backside of it.
04035761.jpg

c030ad62.jpg

I headed over to pick up some milkshakes at the Tune-In Lounge/50s Primetime Café while everyone else took a short restroom break. We then sat in the benches in front of 50’s Prime, and shared a couple of milkshakes. Now, the CM behind the bar when ordering the shakes didn’t mention PB and J as an option the flavors. I didn’t bother to ask any further, so I just ordered one Peanut Butter and one strawberry. Then when we were drinking them, we would simultaneously suck from both straws and walla! PB and J flavored milkshakes! They were some good shakes.

We then caught a 4pm showing of Beauty and the Beast. It was good but not spectacular. Could use a little updating on the special effects department mainly involving the Beast transformation. DD enjoyed it. I love how they were able to condense everything and turn the show into a medley of songs from the movie. DS fell asleep during the show – he was way past his naptime.

After the show, while DS was napping in his stroller and DD was enjoying a pretzel snack, the adults took turns two at a time to ride ToT using our FPs. I felt very silly using the FPs once I entered since there was virtually no difference between the standby and FP lines because there was NO wait on the standby. It was pretty funny. DW and I entered the FP lane at the same time another couple entered the Standby lane. The four of us walked in parallel all the way to the preshow library room where we were grouped up. Did I mention this was the first time we tried this one? Absolutely loved the ride! We got to ride in the front row along with a single rider who was clearly a fan of the ride. She was telling DW some behind the scenes stories about the ride and how much she loves it. She also pointed out a small mistake in the preshow where the little girl who enters the elevator is holding a Mickey Mouse doll but Mickey hadn’t been created that year. I was pretty sure she would be a DISer and I looked for a LGMH on her satchel but couldn’t find one. She loved hearing that this was the first time we were going on it and she tried not to spoil anything for us. DW and I loved it! The second time around it was me and DFIL. I think this was our favorite ride.

It was time to head back to Poly and it was about 5pm. Everyone had a great time. I really enjoyed DHS and now I can’t figure out which Park is my favorite. I would love to spend a full day at DHS and enjoy some of the atmosphere and scenes more. The park just feels more cozier and intimate than I had expected perhaps because of the size.

Next up: Late night at MK

Oh I love the Poly! :love:

I'm so glad you liked TSM! I was the same way the first time I rode it. Like is it just a silly arcade thing? Boring?? But ABSOLUTELY not!!!! I just love that ride now!!!

Too funny about the Phineas and Ferb meeting! They are pretty scary! :rotfl:

I'm interested to see what would happen if I put Phineas and Ferb on TV now. Will the kids freak out again? :rotfl:

JUST got home and subscribing to your TR! Maybe someday I'll write one, but for now, I'll leave that to DD! ;) Now I need to go back and read the first 4 pages! :)

Welcome Home! Although that phrase sounds a whole lot better when it's coming from a CM at Disney. Happy you could join in!

LOVE your TR so far! The way you're describing everything makes me feel like I'm right there! :) We love DHS (right emma212010?) too and it's such a fun park to soak up the atmosphere (Christmastime is especially enchanting there!). Which story did you get at StarTours? We went to the Wookie planet this time and it was so cute!!! Can't wait to go on it again with Emma! I didn't know you could just get milkshakes at Tune In Lounge - the PB&J idea you had was brilliant! They have knockout shakes at The Fountain at the Dolphin too, I think they have a PB&J shake there - those shakes are like a meal! Your little ones sound so sweet! I remember those days of doing the baby swap! Now, it's more like the Mom swap so that DD can go on the big roller coasters with DH and I can sit them out! Hahah! I'm like your DW - some of the twisty stuff kind of makes me queasy! Yup, we love TSM too - but I can NEVER beat DH (although I ALWAYS beat him on Buzz). Isn't TOT amazing? Talking about the baby swap, when Emma was little and I was walking down the back way with her because DH was riding, we ran into some CMs with Tara Lipinski (the ice skater) who obviously didn't have to wait in line! So you never know who you're going to run in to when you're baby swapping! ;)

LOVE your TR so far! The way you're describing everything makes me feel like I'm right there! :) We love DHS (right emma212010?) too and it's such a fun park to soak up the atmosphere (Christmastime is especially enchanting there!). Which story did you get at StarTours? We went to the Wookie planet this time and it was so cute!!! Can't wait to go on it again with Emma! I didn't know you could just get milkshakes at Tune In Lounge - the PB&J idea you had was brilliant! They have knockout shakes at The Fountain at the Dolphin too, I think they have a PB&J shake there - those shakes are like a meal! Your little ones sound so sweet! I remember those days of doing the baby swap! Now, it's more like the Mom swap so that DD can go on the big roller coasters with DH and I can sit them out! Hahah! I'm like your DW - some of the twisty stuff kind of makes me queasy! Yup, we love TSM too - but I can NEVER beat DH (although I ALWAYS beat him on Buzz). Isn't TOT amazing? Talking about the baby swap, when Emma was little and I was walking down the back way with her because DH was riding, we ran into some CMs with Tara Lipinski (the ice skater) who obviously didn't have to wait in line! So you never know who you're going to run in to when you're baby swapping! ;)

Thanks! Our randomly selected sequences were, Darth Vader, Wookie Planet, Admiral Ackbar, and Naboo (with a very brief but still unfortunate cameo by Jar Jar).

Yes, I absolutely loved ToT. It wasn't just the ride itself. The theming and the attention to details they put into all of the little things leading up to the ride was amazing. When we're waiting to board the elevator, I looked around and the whole area was so convincing as the basement of a hotel!

Taking a quick 1 night trip to Boston this morning for a conference. There was a family of four in front of me at the security line. Both kids were wearing Mickey and Minnie mouse backpacks and they had Mickey luggage tags on their stroller. Pretty sure they were headed to Disney.

DS told me this morning as I was headed out the door with a whimper that he wanted to go to Disney to ride Peter Pan. I said, me too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter