Our Dining Review - Byte by Bite (*NEW Final Day 8 w/Pictures)

Dustmouse

Proud DISer for 13 years!
Our eight-day adventure begins on Monday, June 5th. My darling DH and two strapping young boys (13 & 14) returned for our second trip to the World after our first visit in 2001. We love to eat and enjoy our time together around the table. Everyone was looking forward to returning to some old favorites and I booked ADR's for some new surprises! The DDP seemed like an excellent opportunity to have some fun, so here we go....

Day 1 - Arrival Day
Checked in to BCV around 4pm with plenty of time to make our evening ADR at The Hollywood Brown Derby at 6:30pm. We checked in early around 6:05 and were given a pager. It was hot and the place was packed. The boys and I snuck over the to the Great Movie Ride while Dad waited for a table. We received the call about 6:40pm and were seated at a table for four on the main floor. We opted to pay OOP for this meal so we did not order appetizers.
brownderbysign.jpg

DH and DS13 both ordered the “Char-grilled Filet Mignon.” DH deemed it “tender, tasty, and terrific.” DS enjoyed it too, but said it tasted like beer. (That would be the Merlot reduction.)
bd_filet.jpg

DS14 got the Citrus Glazed Rotisserie Half Chicken and said it was really good. He ALWAYS cleans his plate, but did comment that it was especially enjoyable.
bd_chicken.jpg

I chose the Grilled Atlantic Salmon and was very pleased with the mix of flavors. The Gorgonzola, dried tomatoes, and wilted arugula were yummy!
bd_salmon.jpg

We definitely saved room for dessert and DS14 immediately went for the Happiest Celebration on Earth Dessert. He really liked it too, but didn’t think there was enough of it. He’s a two scoop kinda guy!
bd_happiestdessert.jpg

DH struggled to decide between the Crème Brulee and the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Praline Cheesecake, but the cheesecake prevailed. It looked wonderful and was gone before I got around to asking for a bite.
bd_cheesecake.jpg

No worries, I had the infamous Grapefruit Cake to keep my taste buds company. It was refreshing and different. I’m not sure I would order it again, but I’m definitely glad I tried it once.
bd_grapefruitcake.jpg

DS13, feeling none to adventurous, stayed safe with a scoop of ice cream and we all waddled our way towards Fantasmic!

Hope you enjoyed it! Stay tuned for Day 2...

Really enjoyed your review ~ we always eat at the BD at least twice every trip.

Excellent piccies ~ My mouth was watering looking at them.

I heart :lovestruc food.
I heart :lovestruc WDW.
I heart :lovestruc pictures of food.

This is definetly the review for me. :ccat:

Great so far. Keep them coming!! :rainbow:

Day 2 – Close Encounters with the Yeti & Mom reminds us to eat our greens!

Waking up the first morning in our 1 bedroom villa was divine! Since we were provided a full kitchen, my plan was to eat breakfast in the room to avoid wasting valuable time in the park. (We did four character breakfasts on the last trip, let’s move on!) Anyway, I placed a grocery order with GardenGrocer.com prior to arrival and they were great! So, while I got ready, DH cooked eggs, bacon & toast for himself and DS14. DS13 and I are not big breakfast eaters, so we just had a piece of toast and were ready to face the Yeti!

yetisign.jpg

Mid morning, we were getting hot and thirsty, so we stopped by the Harambe Fruit Market for a cold crisp apple and some refreshing beverages.

By noon, we had escaped the clutches of the Yeti twice and were more than ready for lunch! Tusker House was nearby so DH secured a table in the back while I waited in line. We all decided to try the Fried Chicken Sandwich with Steak Fries. The portions were large, the chicken was juicy and the greens were fresh. (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture!) For dessert, we had one cheesecake, two chocolate cakes, and one carrot cake. All three were very good. Overall, it ended up being a bit heavy with all the fried food and rich dessert during the heat of the day, but it was good stuff!

After some rest back at the resort, we were headed back to MGM for a 7:05pm ADR at 50’s Prime Time Café. We arrived about 7pm and struggled to find seating in the lobby while we waited. Chatted with a nice family from New Orleans and were finally called to dinner about 7:40pm. After being reminded to remove our hats, wash our hands, and keep our elbows off of the table, DS13 and I treated ourselves to some soda complete with Electric Ice Cubes! While these are not covered on the DDP, through the magic of Disney and our awesome server, we did not have to pay extra.

50s_glowingice.jpg

For appetizers, DH ordered a green salad with ranch dressing which was not on the menu, but they happily accommodated. Both DS’s got the Chicken Noodle Soup and I decided to try the Shrimp Cocktail. DH said the salad was fresh and the dressing was good. The boys did not finish their soup which they said was kind of boring and I would agree. My Shrimp Cocktail arrived and it was five decent sized shrimp plated around a lemon wedge. Hmmm…where’s the cocktail sauce in this cocktail you ask? Well, I had to ask too and it didn’t arrive for several more minutes, but they were really busy and I didn’t really care. I was at Disney World for goodness sake!

Getting down to serious business, DH ordered the Top Sirloin Steak cooked medium w/french fries and DS13 ordered the same with mashed potatoes. Apparently neither of them were taking any chances on the “root hash”. Both orders arrived with fries and when we mentioned the forgotten potatoes they were quickly brought out on the side. However, I think they both scraped the veggies aside anyway and went straight for the beef; although, I did hear the potatoes were good.

50s_steak.jpg

DS14 chose the Golden Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Corn. This boy normally orders hamburger at every meal, so I was surprised he didn’t go with the Meatloaf, but he said the chicken was excellent and there wasn’t a crumb or corn kernel left when he was done.

50sfriedchicken.jpg

Being ready for a bit of beef myself, I went with the Old Fashioned Pot Roast. It was great! The roast was very tender and the portion size was more than enough. The potatoes were yummy and the gravy was good too. I would definitely recommend it.

50spotroast.jpg

For dessert, we couldn’t let the Dad’s Super Sundae go by without a taste, so DS14 ordered that. (Meanwhile our cousins from Louisiana at a nearby table were served their green beans re-plated with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Apparently, if you don’t eat your veggies, they may revisit you as dessert.)

50ssupersundae.jpg

DH and DS13 were pretty full but still managed to find room for a couple of chocolate shakes and I went with the always-popular S’mores. (I think this was about half the size of the one I got five years ago, but it was still plenty!)

50ssmores.jpg

And so, with bellies bulging we said goodnight to Mom and let the DDP take care of the check!

50sprime.jpg

Please continue to stay tuned for Day 3….

I love your reviews and the pictures make it even more enjoyable!

I can't wait to read more ... keep 'em coming!

:jumping2:

Thanks to everyone for their replies! It's so much more fun when you know someone else is readin' and enjoyin'!

Day 3 – Beyond Main Street and the traveling Cirque-us!

Rise and shine for a beautiful morning at the Magic Kingdom! DH still not sure why I keep photographing our meals insists that I take a picture of his homemade breakfast. (The eggs are cooked too hard for my taste and the toast is burnt, but hey, I didn’t have to cook it or eat it!)

dadsbreakfast.jpg

The morning has a few tense moments when DH loses his prescription glasses on Space Mountain and says a few things that aren’t so child friendly. By 11:30am we’re ready to take a break and pop in to Pecos Bill. It was naturally getting very crowded, but DH again manages to secure a corner table upstairs. Remembering my bloated tummy yesterday at lunch, I decided to try lighter fare and ordered the Chicken Wrap. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. Basically a chilled, grilled chicken salad wrapped up in a tortilla type shell. It was tasty, refreshing and plenty filling. The boys on the other hand did not heed my warning and all ordered Bacon Double Cheeseburgers. No complaints there either and the infamous Fixin’s bar was pretty darn cool! I got some of the grilled mushrooms just to eat on the side with my wrap.

Strolling back down Main Street towards our afternoon nap we were sucked into the Main Street Confectionary. (Has anyone else noticed the abnormal forces pulling you in off of the street from this place?) Well, I was fortunate to bump in to three lovely ladies at the Fudge counter who upon learning that we were from Texas began to serenade us with “The fudge is good, the fudge is great, deep in the heart of Texas!”

fudgesisters.jpg

Now I know you’ve all watched the Food Channel and seen those giant Mickey rice krispie treats, so we got one to share. That’s if it makes it back from the bus stop!

mickeyricekrispie.jpg

The evening entertainment was the 6pm show of Cirque Du Soleil. DH was extremely excited to be going to Cirque and it did not disappoint. What’s a show without refreshments though? Luckily, they do have concessions and we got the refillable souvenir popcorn bucket and sodas. I can’t remember what the prices were, but it was considerably less than our local movie theater.

After the show, we dined with Earl over at his sandwich shop. Oh, I guess Earl is his title, not his name. Sorry. Again, another crowded restaurant but we were able to get a table and the line moved quickly. DH and DS13 both ordered The Original 1762, DS14 had The Earl’s Club, and I got The All American. They all had good flavor but I had actually expected them to have more stuff in them based on previous reviews. They weren’t skimpy, but nothing overly impressive either. With the dining plan, we had to choose between chips or dessert, so we got two chips, a cupcake and a cookie. We like places back home better, but for a CS it got the job done.

Having Food Channel flashbacks, the youngest and I headed off to Goofy’s Candy Kitchen to see what all the fuss was about. It took FOREVER to get our order, but it was really cool! DS13 ordered a caramel apple, dipped in milk chocolate, covered with Oreos and Reeses’ peanut butter cups, and drizzled in white chocolate. YUM! I ordered another apple for DS14 dipped in milk chocolate, covered with Butterfinger and drizzled with white chocolate and caramel. For me, it was the giant peanut butter fudge filled Oreo dipped in chocolate, drizzled with caramel and white chocolate, and then sprinkled with pecans. Sounds good…tastes better! The apples probably weighed three pounds each and were neatly packaged in boxes to go. I would absolutely recommend it; just allow a lot of time during peak hours.

caramelapple.jpg

So, with our chocolate covered dreams we headed back to BCV for a good nights sleep!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for Day 4!

Great reviews and pictures! Looking forward to the rest! Those smores look really good.

Do you remember what sauce that was on your salmon at Brown Derby? It looks good, and I've never been to that restaurant.

How did you find the service using the Dining Plan? I have seen a couple of comments that indicate servers weren't as attentive or friendly.

Thanks, great review!!

Great reviews and fabulous pictures! Thanks for taking the time to post, looking forward to more. :mickeybar

Thanks for the reviews. I love your pictures, and that apple........AHHH!!!!!! I may need to try one on my next trip. :thumbsup2

ufgator said:
Do you remember what sauce that was on your salmon at Brown Derby? It looks good, and I've never been to that restaurant.

I think the menu said it was balsamic butter sauce. It was kinda tangy and mixed well with the sharpness of the cheese and sun dried tomatoes. Served on a bowl of polenta it worked well for me. (That fact that I was hungry helped too, since I had only eaten a bagel and Continental Airlines mini turkey sandwich up until that point.) :)

gosoxb said:
How did you find the service using the Dining Plan? I have seen a couple of comments that indicate servers weren't as attentive or friendly.

Service was hit and miss but I couldn't pinpoint it to the dining plan. When service seemed to be lacking it didn't appear that anyone around us was getting any better treatment either. CS CM's actually seemed to be the most helpful in making sure you knew what options you had. Despite some poor reviews recently, our service at Le Cellier was excellent! I would not hesitate to do the DDP again!

Day 4 – Soarin’ to new adventure and Whispering for dinner

Today the DH took a break from cooking breakfast and visited the Beach Club Marketplace. He returned with two breakfast croissant sandwiches, a fresh fruit yogurt parfait and a box of Entemann’s chocolate doughnuts. Afraid to screw up any of his wife’s dining credits, he only used one snack credit for the doughnuts and paid OOP for the rest.

The parfait was VERY good! DH said it was made to order with fresh fruit of your choice (strawberries, blueberries or raspberries.) The yogurt had a hint of honey flavor and fruit was juicy and fresh. There was also fresh granola topping. I really enjoyed it! The breakfast sandwiches were reported tasty too and well, you can’t go wrong with a one-snack credit box of doughnuts, right?

After breakfast we headed to Epcot for the morning rope drop and cattle stampede towards Soarin’. (What an awesome attraction!) By 11:30am we were on the boat crossing the World Showcase Lagoon towards Japan.

teppanyaki.jpg

I was excited to be surprising my family with a noon ADR at Teppanyaki! My youngest son is a budding young chef and my oldest is currently interested in all things Japanese, so I knew this was going to be a winner. After checking in, we were given a pager and seated in a large and nicely air-conditioned lobby. A few minutes before noon, most of the Teppan staff entered the lobby and conducted an opening ceremony, which really set the mood. We were quickly called and seated with a delightful family from Nashville, TN. A lovely server brought us warm towels to wash our hands with and warned that the table surface was hot and should not be touched. Drink orders were then taken and quickly delivered along with a sampling of seaweed salad. Surprisingly, DH really enjoyed it but the boys wouldn’t touch it. For appetizers, DH and I both ordered the garden salad and I convinced DS14 to try the Misoshiru soup. We both enjoyed the salad, which surprised me again, since DH is normally a ranch dressing die-hard. After some coaxing, DS14 tasted the soup and really liked it. (I personally didn’t care for it, but it was nice to see him expand his horizons.) Meanwhile, DS13 was still trying to convince our friends from Nashville that the seaweed salad came right from the bottom of the WS lagoon.

The chef then appeared and introduced himself. He was an older gentleman who was very likeable and good with the kids. DH, DS14 and I all ordered the steak and shrimp cooked medium and DS13 ordered the chicken. As the chef began to prepare the vegetables, Nashville quickly told him that they did not under any circumstances want mushrooms with theirs. GREAT, more for us! Which is exactly what the chef said. He continued to prepare veggies, noodles, meats and bean sprouts with flair and humor. Whenever he would miss a catch or something didn’t go just right he would say, “Boy, windy in here.” It was pretty funny! We were all served and everyone loved their entrée. I thought the fresh veggies were excellent and the meat was cooked medium as requested. For dessert, DH and DS14 both ordered the chestnut cake, DS13 got ice cream and I went with the fresh fruit.

gingercake.jpg

pineapple.jpg

Splurging on two TS meals in one day, we headed to the Wilderness Lodge later that evening for a 6:40pm ADR at the Whispering Canyon Café. After marveling at the impressive lobby, we checked in and were seated immediately.

WLlobby.jpg

The restaurant was hoppin’ and we immediately joined in on a round of the Hokey Pokey. Our server arrived shortly for drink orders and tossed napkins and straws over her shoulder at us as she walked away. Hmmm…so that’s how it’s gonna be, eh? She turned out to have a dry sense of humor that was pretty comical at times. DH & DS14 eager to get started ordered the Nachos while DS13 ordered the fried chicken wings. Everything you’ve heard about WCC’s nachos is true! The portion size is huge and could easily be the entrée or appetizer for four. Needless to say, we had lots of nachos left over. It’s a shame really because they were good! DS13 has really become a wing connoisseur lately and pronounced the wings as excellent. Since I planned early to order The Skillet, I was given a salad and cornbread. It was great and I had to fight off the family for the cornbread. I actually ended up telling our server that the cornbread thief was loose and stole mine which didn’t really get me much sympathy, but it did get me a second helping of cornbread. For an entrée, DH on what now seems like an all beef diet, orders the NY strip steak, as does DS13. They were both impressed with this meal and DH named this the best steak at WDW. The skillet was great all the way around and DS14 was very happy with the meatloaf. About that time, our charming server got really tired of refilling our glasses every 10 minutes and brought us out something a little more substantial!

bigdrink-1.jpg

The kids thought it was hilarious and didn’t feel left out for not having 100 ketchup bottles on the table. For dessert, the boys enjoyed chocolate shakes and I went for the kill with the Kahlua-flavored chocolate cake. No way I could get through it or it would have killed me!

kahluacake.jpg

Overall, our experience was good. The food was an A+, the atmosphere was an A, and service was a B. I would definitely go back!

Stay tuned for Episode 5 – Beaches & Scream and Le Cellier, eh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter