Other Options...

I've found ABD highly respectful to all people, cultures, and places.

So ABD guides who dress up in cultural clothes that have nothing to do with their own culture (cultural appropriation) in a restaurant that is 800 years old and allow their guests to insult other members of their tour who happen to be from another country is being respectful of all people, cultures and places?

So ABD guides who dress up in cultural clothes that have nothing to do with their own culture (cultural appropriation) in a restaurant that is 800 years old and allow their guests to insult other members of their tour who happen to be from another country is being respectful of all people, cultures and places?

No. I only said what I've found. That is outside of my experience. I'm not sure why this is becoming argumentative.

I read your travel blog, and I thought it was great and interesting. It made me want to go back and see some things I missed. Looking at your wish list signature, it matches heavily with mine. Morocco is a tough one that I'm trying to figure out the logistics for. We probably have more interests in common than not. I understand you've had a bad experience with ABD and that has pushed you to look towards different companies. Completely understandable. I think we're living in an awesome time to be able to do that. Travel has become so accessible, and there's lots of options. For me, traveling with my young children in particular, ABD has provided a wonderful, valuable service being able to travel with other young families. If that stops or if something (like Morocco) comes up on my radar that ABD doesn't offer, I'll look elsewhere. As an aside, the frustrating thing about Morocco (other than laptops and high temperatures) is I haven't been able to find a tour that caters to young families. With the exception of S. America, most of the common offerings of other companies (A&K, Nat Geo) are places we've already visited.

I would disagree 100% that there was anything disrespectful associated with the race. There is an official guide assigned to our group from the Angkor Archaeological Park who guides us and oversees everything. Most of the racing occurs outside between the temples. The scavenger hunt inside the temples is largely to find other official Archaeological Park guides to ask them specific questions on the history and cultural relevance of temples.

I've found ABD highly respectful to all people, cultures, and places. That's quite possibly the last criticism I'd ever expect to hear regarding ABD. I'm sure the same can be said for A&K, Nat Geo, Tauck, etc. If my discreptions have given the impression otherwise, that probably has more to do with me not adequately painting the right picture rather than any cultural disrespect of ABD.

I certainly don't want to convince you ABD is THE way to see SE Asia. It was wonderful and worked for us, but as you said there are many good options. However, I wouldn't rule it out because of the scavenger hunt/race. I think if you were to see it in person, you'd have a different impression of it.
I completely agree! It's not a "race" at all...they call it that but you're learning so much along the way and nobody is running. It's more of a scavenger hunt with clues to get from Point A to Point B.

No. I only said what I've found. That is outside of my experience. I'm not sure why this is becoming argumentative.

I read your travel blog, and I thought it was great and interesting. It made me want to go back and see some things I missed. Looking at your wish list signature, it matches heavily with mine. Morocco is a tough one that I'm trying to figure out the logistics for. We probably have more interests in common than not. I understand you've had a bad experience with ABD and that has pushed you to look towards different companies. Completely understandable. I think we're living in an awesome time to be able to do that. Travel has become so accessible, and there's lots of options. For me, traveling with my young children in particular, ABD has provided a wonderful, valuable service being able to travel with other young families. If that stops or if something (like Morocco) comes up on my radar that ABD doesn't offer, I'll look elsewhere. As an aside, the frustrating thing about Morocco (other than laptops and high temperatures) is I haven't been able to find a tour that caters to young families. With the exception of S. America, most of the common offerings of other companies (A&K, Nat Geo) are places we've already visited.
You are a kind, patient person :)

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am simply pointing out a flaw in what you posted. You can't make a blanket statement like you did, claiming ABD is respectful of ALL people, cultures and places when it's been pointed out that they are not.

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am simply pointing out a flaw in what you posted. You can't make a blanket statement like you did, claiming ABD is respectful of ALL people, cultures and places when it's been pointed out that they are not.
I beg to differ. Do you have examples of this from your own travels or specifics from people you know who have seen this, and not just assumptions you have made based on the descriptions of trips you haven't taken? I have taken 8 ABDs, and have NEVER seen the Adventure Guides be anything but respectful of the cultures they are guiding us through.

Sayhello

I beg to differ. Do you have examples of this from your own travels or specifics from people you know who have seen this, and not just assumptions you have made based on the descriptions of trips you haven't taken? I have taken 8 ABDs, and have NEVER seen the Adventure Guides be anything but respectful of the cultures they are guiding us through.

Sayhello
Ditto. I have experienced them working hard to make sure that we, as guests, understand any cultural things to be aware of. I think this was most obvious is Vietnam, and our guide Tony was wonderful about explaining Vietnamese culture and customs. There was one heated debate one evening in Hoi An when we arrived to buy our floating lanterns for the river. Apparently, there were already two OTHER ladies in boats there to sell lanterns, and it turned into a heated debate between the two ladies on who would sell us lanterns (while our pre-arranged lantern vendor waited patiently in her boat). Tony used his cultural knowledge to diffuse the situation, and he bought equal amounts from the two arguing ladies, along with buying the lanterns he was supposed to buy from the prearranged vendor. Instead of blowing off the two ladies whose boats were sitting where we were supposed to be, he worked hard to please everyone and be kind. It was quite the experience to hear the two women going back and forth in a language that is so new to my ears, and I was proud to be with Tony who wanted everyone to walk away pleased.

If that stops or if something (like Morocco) comes up on my radar that ABD doesn't offer, I'll look elsewhere. As an aside, the frustrating thing about Morocco (other than laptops and high temperatures) is I haven't been able to find a tour that caters to young families. With the exception of S. America, most of the common offerings of other companies (A&K, Nat Geo) are places we've already visited.

Butterfield and Robinson offers a family trip to Morocco!

Anyone done a family trip to Antarctica?! On our list. Terrified of Drake Passage! haahah

Sayhello

So ABD guide dressing in German outfit (cultural appropriation when official ABD guide is NOT German) and having what amounts to a frat house party in a restaurant that is 800 years old is what you consider being respectful? And yes I witnessed this on my own ABD trip. Also, allowing guests on the trip to insult others on your tour who come from a different country and laughing right along with them is respectful? Again, happened on MY ABD. I guess my interpretation of what is considered respectful behavior is different from the rest of you. Must be a Canadian thing.

So ABD guide dressing in German outfit (cultural appropriation when official ABD guide is NOT German) and having what amounts to a frat house party in a restaurant that is 800 years old is what you consider being respectful? And yes I witnessed this on my own ABD trip. Also, allowing guests on the trip to insult others on your tour who come from a different country and laughing right along with them is respectful? Again, happened on MY ABD. I guess my interpretation of what is considered respectful behavior is different from the rest of you. Must be a Canadian thing.
If you're talking about them wearing Lederhosen, you will find quite a lot of Bavarian folks don't mind you wearing them at all. It's definitely NOT an across-the-board offensive thing to do. And what do you mean a frat house party? I read your review and it sounds like the group was having fun. With the exception of a few.

Sounds like you are perpetuating the "different country" thing yourself.

Sayhello

I would disagree 100% that there was anything disrespectful associated with the race. There is an official guide assigned to our group from the Angkor Archaeological Park who guides us and oversees everything. Most of the racing occurs outside between the temples. The scavenger hunt inside the temples is largely to find other official Archaeological Park guides to ask them specific questions on the history and cultural relevance of temples.

I've found ABD highly respectful to all people, cultures, and places. That's quite possibly the last criticism I'd ever expect to hear regarding ABD. I'm sure the same can be said for A&K, Nat Geo, Tauck, etc. If my discreptions have given the impression otherwise, that probably has more to do with me not adequately painting the right picture rather than any cultural disrespect of ABD.

I certainly don't want to convince you ABD is THE way to see SE Asia. It was wonderful and worked for us, but as you said there are many good options. However, I wouldn't rule it out because of the scavenger hunt/race. I think if you were to see it in person, you'd have a different impression of it.

I don't think the phrase "blanket statement" means what you think it means. Couldn't resist a nod to Princess Bride :goodvibes Cousin Orville has made no blanket statements. Cousin Orville has made it abundantly clear that the opinions he is sharing are based on his own experiences. What I, and I am sure most others take from that is that Cousin Orville has not had an experience where ABD came off as being disrespectful with regards to other cultures and and places. With regards to my own 9 ABD trips, I have never seen ABD come off as disrespectful towards other cultures and places. If anything, I have found them to err on the side of caution when it comes to maintaining respect for a place.

As most of us who frequent here know, you had one bad experience with ABD that was not resolved in a satisfactory manner. Perspective and choice are interesting things. One poor experience would not necessarily become the paintbrush that colors a company and what they have to offer as a decidedly poor option for me. That one poor experience would also not alter my views and the picture I painted of any previous experiences with that company. But we all have different levels of tolerance and expectations. I expect all of my experiences to be different. Come to think of it, my first ABD started off as a bad experience when they changed the itinerary and I had a hissy fit. That hissy fit led me on a path of sharing my frustration here with all of you, meeting some amazing people before my trip, during the trip and after the trip and of course sharing all of the joys and adventures I've had with ABD here with you guys. I expect the bad experiences to lead to something good too. They usually do.

Actually, it wasn't just one bad experience we had with ABD. It was bad experiences on both of our trips so quite frankly we haven't had a GOOD experience with ABD from the start. We were willing to give them a second chance despite the poor experience on the first trip and they blew it quite spectacularly on their second chance.

Last edited:
Both trips were bad? You had Michael on your first and Jennae on your second. Two of ABDs most excellent guides out there. I'll just keep my mouth closed now because I'm not sure what to say if they both were a let down. Glad you've found another touring outfit!

Both trips were bad? You had Michael on your first and Jennae on your second. Two of ABDs most excellent guides out there. I'll just keep my mouth closed now because I'm not sure what to say if they both were a let down. Glad you've found another touring outfit!

Both trips were bad. Michael is superior to Jennae on many levels but neither could hold a candle to our Nat Geo guides.

As for our trips...

We were given incorrect meeting information for our farewell dinner (we went off and spent the afternoon on our own at DCA) and then were blamed by the 2 ABD reps who were with the tour for being in the wrong place, even through it was Michael and Jason who gave us the incorrect information. Strike 1.

As for Jennae, do not even get me started on her. If she's supposed to be one of their top guides, then I feel sorry for ABD. Quite frankly we thought she was horrible. She tried to force me through a fountain when I was in tears over the amount of pain I was feeling due to a seized hip joint from the slow pace of the Hellbrunn tour. She caused 2 major panic attacks over dietary concerns. She sat on her butt during dinner while my mother and other still had yet to be served their meal while the wait staff served 3rd and 4th round drinks to every one else and it wasn't until I snapped at a passing waiter to serve the rest of the party their dinners that she finally decided to get up and ensure everyone had their meals. If that is how a top ABD guide works, I would hate to see a bad one.

Actually, it wasn't just one bad experience we had with ABD. It was bad experiences on both of our trips so quite frankly we haven't had a GOOD experience with ABD from the start. We were willing to give them a second chance despite the poor experience on the first trip and they blew it quite spectacularly on their second chance.

I was not aware of the other one. I knew about the most recent one. I'm sorry to hear that. I've had such amazing experiences with ABD and I always wish the same sense of fun and adventure, for lack of a better word, that I have had with them. I am glad that you have found another tour operator that makes you happy and meets your expectations. One of my biggest issue of reluctance to even try another tour operator is that they would fall short of the very high expectations I have thanks to ABD. None the less, there are places I'd like to see that aren't on ABD's itinerary list, JAPAN, ANTARCTICA, NEW ZEALAND, ASIA trifecta that hits Hong Kong DL, Tokyo Disney Sea and Shanghai DL ( in case anyone at ABD is reading this :rolleyes1 ) so I find this particular thread quite valuable since most of the people have experienced ABD and can offer a realistic comparison.

As for Jennae, do not even get me started on her. If she's supposed to be one of their top guides, then I feel sorry for ABD.

I had the opportunity to meet Jennae on the Danube and I found her to be engaging, passionate and wonderful. I did not have the opportunity to tour with her but she does have a stellar reputation on this board. Every guide I have had has been outstanding! Zoe and Hanni I will always love, adore and want to adopt. Caroline and Adam were amazing, wonderful and made sure my mom had an amazing time on her first trip to Europe despite the fact that my dad had just passed away the month before. Not an easy feat. Dusty and James were phenomenal as was Stephanie. They made all me want to take any ABD as long they might be our guides. Ken and Mark Chris on our Winter in Wyoming trip were so phenomenal I want to go on the summer one with them and that was never on my radar. Their passion was infectious and we loved them too. I have yet to have an ABD guide that was not out of this world friendly, engaging and passionate. It's just so hard to even imagine what you describe since my own experiences have been the polar opposite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter