ot: virus removal

shoney

DIS Veteran
last month, my ds spilled soda on my 1 and half year old lap top...ugh Needless to say, it is fried. I called Dell and ordered a new one...pretty much identical but added a 3 year accident protection plan! I had the computer for 15 days and got a virus...Security Tools. I called DELL and their answer was "sorry but you didn't purchase software protection...buy a 1 year contract now for 339.00 and then we can help you...WHAT???? I just spent 1500.00!!!!!

My husband then went to work the next day and printed out instructions from bleepingcomputer.com.... I am not a tech genius by any means and after about an hour of playing with it. I was able to remove the virus for FREE!

If anyone out there is in a similar situation...a lot of facebook viruses going around...try this website first before spending more money than you need to!!!

I had the same kind of experience with Dell, sort of. We could not get the wireless to work and I was getting Soooo mad. When I called Dell and asked for help, they said I had to pay them 85 dollars if I want them to help. The computer wasnt very old and I got it directly from them. So then I was even madder. Anyways, Happy Ending! I finally got it to work ALL BY MYSELF. And here I am on my wireless laptop, reading thru the DIS...:cutie:

Good for you!!!!! 85 or 339...where do they get these prices from????

I hope you lodged a formal complaint with a customer service manager...I just did...and that is when they told me they would help me for free...I told them "don't bother" I was able to do it for FREE! At least the person who just wanted to "sell " me something will have something in their record..It might not be much...but it is something! Maybe they will rethink their policies if enough people complain!

I just had the same virus. It was very frustating. I used a program to get rid of malware.

Yessss! Malwarebytes is what bleepingcomputer had me run...Best of luck to all! Please look for FREE things before paying someone!!!!

I always find situations like this a delicate balancing act. The cold harsh truth is getting a virus and malware is 100% preventable, you have to actively do something to infect your computer. As the person my extended family turns to when they are infected, I also realize it happens.

Dell certainly shouldn't be expected to fix the problem for free. It would be like asking the car dealer to fix your car for free because you put sugar in the gas tank. Sure they will fix it, but not for free.

My DD's new Dell got it too.. I found that running in Safe mode then using the Malawarebytes was easier then trying to do in in regular mode. When I tried in reg mode, it would get getting interrupted by the virus and not work...Once starting and running it in safe mode, it was cleaned in about 15 minutes:goodvibes

I always find situations like this a delicate balancing act. The cold harsh truth is getting a virus and malware is 100% preventable, you have to actively do something to infect your computer. As the person my extended family turns to when they are infected, I also realize it happens.

Dell certainly shouldn't be expected to fix the problem for free. It would be like asking the car dealer to fix your car for free because you put sugar in the gas tank. Sure they will fix it, but not for free.

then why was Dell willing to do it for free once I lodged a complaint????

Just a warning, keep an eye on your computers. Malwarebytes doesn't always completely get rid of Security Tool. There is a new mutation of the virus out there that hides and comes back. Whatever nasty individuals are behind it have tweaked the thing and there is a mutation out there that is much much worse than the original version. I picked it up at work a few weeks ago, and our IT person (who is good), spent about 2 weeks trying to get the thing gone for good. They finally had to completely wipe my hard drive to get rid of it. Hopefully you guys got the old version and it is gone for good, but keep an eye on it. Keep running your virus scan every few days for a while. The virus scans will pick it up when it starts to resurface, they just won't get rid of it. If you make it a few weeks without any issues, you should be okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter