OT - Toxic baby bottles!!

I think this is more about becoming an educated consumer than using your common sense.

Years ago scientist were saying that heating up plastic was a bad idea, especially when it was related to food. I feel like someone finally listened, or a lab rat finally bit the dust or something. Sure there are LOTS of other toxic things in our environment - but (let's say I used bottles) if I KNOW I could switch to something safer then why wouldn't I?

I switched to safer cleaning products when I had a kid, I switched to some organic foods, I made sure our car seat wasn't top 10 for highest toxicity, little things that I'm sure other people think are really worthless, but I feel like make a difference in our lives.

I saw on 20/20 or Dateline (can't remember) they are doing a comparison of two families who live different lifestyles when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'm very interested to see what if any differences there are.

The wonderful part of it all is that for those of us who want to not use BPA items we have a choice (as we have had for a while now - this is not new, it's just in the media more) and those who don't care also have a choice.

As a parents I am glad my husband and I have the ability to make these decisions for what we feel is best for our baby. As for common sense - well we're selecting zero VOC paint for the babies room :) .

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!

Has BPA been tested and shown to cause harm to humans, or are they just basing this on the 'poison-a-rat-with-it-until-it-dies' type of study?

I agree one should use their common sense, however it is a relatively easy switch to BPA free bottles, as there are quite alot to choose from in the market, and more coming out each day. If there is a possiblity of risk to your infant, does it matter if it is a 'poison-a-rat-with-it-until-it-dies' if the ability to switch is easy, and inexpensive (with some research)? I would HATE to find out 20 years from now that BPA is confirmed to adversely affect humans and know that I had a simple option to make a switch with bottles 20 years earlier.....to me that is using common sense.

Oh, and Wal-Mart, who I don't consider to be the most up to date retailer, is banning BPA baby bottles by next year....apparently, there is enough doubt in the safety of BPA for that retailer (of all of them out there) to stop selling the product. Doesn't that make you go, hmmmm. Maybe it would be common sense to stop using BPA?

Did you all know that the foam in carseats has formaldehyde in it, etc, etc, and that we are still safe using car seats? That's because the amounts are so low tthat it does no more harm than everything else around us...

So, if you want to throw out bottles, go ahead, but throw out your carpet, your couches, the vinyl siding on your houses, the oil-based paints, don't ride on the highway behind a diesel bus or truck, don't take junior to the playground, and the plastic chairs in schools are toxic too...

Anything that can be done to eliminate toxins should be applauded! I have non toxic carpets, floors, and paint. I do not want a child crawling around on a carpet and ingesting chemicals.

Anything that can be done to eliminate toxins should be applauded! I have non toxic carpets, floors, and paint. I do not want a child crawling around on a carpet and ingesting chemicals.
It is great you have been able to do that. Not everyone can afford to make the changes you have, but the point, as I see it, is to make those changes that are feasible in your life that could potentially ensure the continued health of you and your family.

Oh, and had to notice your tag....I figure that is why you have it there for folks to notice. I know, sorry it is a bit off topic.
100% of the time, PROUD to be an American! Don't always love the people in it or their actions, but I am still proud.

Okay this is long -
Here's my take on this subject. I know many of you may disagree because you think we are "freaking out" over yet another study that tells us the sky is falling. But really we are only trying to educate ourselves to make the healthiest choices for our families. With this much debate there is something to be learned. Over the past few months I've grown a bit alarmed about Bisphenol-A or BPA.

BPA is a chemical compound. It's most often found in Polycarbonate Plastics. Polycarbonate Plastics are those clear plastics you see everywhere. For example, all those Nalgene colored and clear water bottles are made from Polycarbonates. Another common item is over 90% of baby bottles.

So who cares, lots of things are made of plastic. Well, there is a fairly raging debate that BPAs can leach from plastic when heated, and that BPAs can cause all sorts of ails like cancer. Now I don't consider myself an environmentalist, and I certainly realize that in the modern industrial world we live in we are constantly exposed to things that are bad for us; the air we breath, the weather, the hole in the ozone layer, pesticides, global warming and so on. However, this discussion about BPAs has been enough to pique my interest and concern me.

My basic philosophy on these sorts of things is this. If all the "industry funded plastics research" says one thing, and much of the "independent" research says another thing, then something is fishy. For all we know, this is just the very beginning in our understanding of the long term affects of BPA and 20 years from now we'll look back at this and wish we knew more... OR it's perfectly safe and there is nothing to worry about. But when presented with a choice in the matter, I would rather avoid this sort of thing, especially when it concerns my kids health. What I do find scary is the number of pro BPA websites that the plastics industry has already set up to remind us how "safe" it is because the FDA has yet to prove otherwise...

Before I go on I should explain that not all plastics contain BPA, and that you should mainly be concerned with plastics that come in contact with food as the heat is what can accelerate BPA leaching. There are a few kinds of plastics and they can be identified by those little triangled number symbols.

1-PETE Polyethylene Terephthalate No BPA
2-HDPE High-Density Polyethylene (Milk, detergent & oil bottles. Toys and plastic bags.) No BPA
3-PVC Vinyl/Polyvinyl Chloride (Food wrap, vegetable oil bottles, blister packages.) Has BPA
4-LDPE Low-Density Polyethylene (Many plastic bags. Shrink wrap, garment bags.) No BPA
5-PP Polypropylene No BPA
6-PS PS (Throwaway utensils, meat packing, protective packing.) Has BPA
7-Other - Usually layered or mixed plastic. Has BPA

So the past I decided to get rid of my beloved Polycarbonate Nalgene bottles, plastic coffee mugs, or any other form of plastic that we might heat up. We are replacing our tupperware with Pyrex glass storage containers. We replaced all our Nalgene Lexan bottles with the excellent swiss SIGG bottles. You can also opt to use the white Nalgene bottles as they are made from High Density Polyethylene (BPA free).

However, when it came to finding Baby Bottles that weren't made of Polycarbonate things to a bit tougher. Basically you have a few choices:

1. Good old Glass bottles. Evenflo makes them into two sizes (4oz and 8oz)
2. Playtex Original Nurser Polycarbonate bottles with Polypropylene Drop-ins Inserts (the formula goes in the Polypropylene which does not contain BPAs).
3. Born Free (I was actually wondering when a Baby Bottle company would get wise and take advantage of the uncertainty around BPA safety and market this fact). I have yet to try see these for myself, and the web site is not clear about what kind of BPA free plastic they use. update: Whole Foods and Amazon (5oz and 9oz) now carry Born Free Bottles. They are made from a material called Polyamide which appears to be a bio-plastic.
4. Snappies - Polypropylene breast milk storage bottles.
5. Medela breast pump storage containers and baby bottles are all made of Polypropylene

What's also very interesting is that San Francisco just became the first place in the world to ban the use of baby products with BPA effective December 1st 2006.

" Under the proposed ordinance, no product that is intended for use by a child under 3 years of age could be manufactured, sold or distributed in San Francisco if it contains bisphenol A, or BPA, an ingredient in hard, clear polycarbonate plastic. Some forms of phthalate, a chemical that softens plastic, including polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, would also be banned."

" But evidence is mounting that even in low exposure levels, BPA can be dangerous, especially for infants and developing fetuses. BPA is eerily similar to estrogen, the naturally occurring hormone that regulates sexual development, and since the 1990s, early exposure has been linked to a variety of problems, ranging from early puberty and undescended testicles to birth defects like hypospadia. Recently, scientists at the University of Cincinnati and the University of Illinois at Chicago found that exposing newborn rats to low levels of BPA permanently damaged their genes in ways that caused them to develop prostate cancer. Given that BPA tends to concentrate in the placenta and amniotic fluid of pregnant women in five to 10 times the levels found in the average adult, the research raises troubling questions about the potential for prenatal exposure to BPA to cause prostate cancer decades down the line."

As with all animal studies, it remains to be seen how well the findings will apply to humans. But as scientific evidence of the risks accumulates, and as rates of reproductive-system diseases continue to rise, it’s time to take some common-sense measures to limit exposure. For consumers, this means avoiding using cookware or food storage items containing BPA and being especially careful about microwaving plastics, which can cause them to leach BPA at higher levels. For your state legislators, it means following San Francisco’s lead and banning BPA from child-care products.

Our very own (usually slow-moving) canadian government is also working on a law to ban all BPA products from our store shelves nation wide. This is being written to protect children under the age of 3 and pregnant women but hopefully will mean that the plastic industry will sit up and listen.

"The Canadian government has released its Draft Screening Assessment for bisphenol A, which proposed classifying the chemical as "'toxic' to human health and the environment. This action follows Canadian regulators decision in 2006 to select bisphenol A as one of 200 substances deserving of thorough safety assessments after preliminary studies had found it to be 'inherently toxic'; the chemical had not previously been studied by them in depth, having been accepted under grandfather clauses when stricter regulations were passed in the 1980s"

So what can we do? Plastic is impossible to avoid. For starters:
1. Don't microwave in plastics. Use heat-resistant glass containers, Corning Ware or ceramics to microwave all your products, even if it is "microwave safe."
2. Cover food with a paper towel rather than plastic wrap in the microwave. Never microwave baggies.
3. Even organic microwavable foods have plastic coverings. Take two minutes to remove the product from its plastic wrapping and put it in a glass or ceramic bowl before cooking.
4. Don’t drink hot liquids through a straw. Not only will you burn your tongue and throat, but the heat will pull the chemicals from the straw into your coffee.
5. Drink water out of glasses or glass bottles

So it's really very simple. You can do nothing and that's your prerogative. But I think folks should at least know that this debate is brewing, and that you can avoid a potentially harmful chemical if you chose... Why take the risk if you can find a cost effective suitable alternative for you and your child?

Anyway, I hope this information serves useful to someone. I seriously think plastic is an amazing invention, but I also wonder if the plastics industry is in for a lot of scrutiny in the next few decades as people begin to better understand the effects of plastic in our lives.

Could you please identify where you got your quotes from? That would be good "netiquette".

BTW, not only is BPA a chemical compound, almost every part of your body is one too! Water's a chemical compound as well...

What I've been trying to say is that the hysteria over BPA is pathetic - yes, don't use it if you don't want to, but realize that there are many, many, many other chemicals out there that are doing bad things to your body, just getting a tan is bad for you, right? Bug repellant is bad, sunscreen is bad, aluminum cans are bad (especially if an acidic soda has been sitting in it), just about everything out there is bad for you. Make wise choices.

Hmmmm..... I just have to say that I am a 28 year old mother of two healthy children, and I was fed formula from a heated bottle from the day I was born until about 1 yr old. Guess what.....I'm incredibly healthy and so are my children. No early puberty here. Oh, and my husband was also fed formula from a heated bottle from the day he was born and is also healthy!!

Oh, and back when I was little I remember bouncing around in the back seat of the car with no seat belt, riding my bike without a helmet, roller skating without elbow pads and knee pads, and many other things considered dangerous now. :scared1: Somehow I lived!! Now, my children do sit in car seats and do wear helmets when they ride their bikes, but I refuse to worry about everything I eat. I remember when people thought milk and eggs were bad. Scientists are constantly changing their minds about stuff like this, and I refuse to worry about it. I'll live my life and be happy and what happens happens.

Thanks for the info, MickeyWho. I think this is going to prove to be a big deal. I'm definetely making changes.

Once again, we are being scared as consumers. The findings in these sort of studies usually turn out to be overstated. The results of any study can be skewed one way or another, depending on the desired results of the testers. My 32 and 27 year old sons were both raised with plastic bottles, and they exhibit no symptoms. My daughters, ages 8, 7 and 4 show no signs of problems from use of plastic bottles - just a few thoughts....

Hmmmm..... I just have to say that I am a 28 year old mother of two healthy children, and I was fed formula from a heated bottle from the day I was born until about 1 yr old. Guess what.....I'm incredibly healthy and so are my children. No early puberty here. Oh, and my husband was also fed formula from a heated bottle from the day he was born and is also healthy!!

Oh, and back when I was little I remember bouncing around in the back seat of the car with no seat belt, riding my bike without a helmet, roller skating without elbow pads and knee pads, and many other things considered dangerous now. :scared1: Somehow I lived!! Now, my children do sit in car seats and do wear helmets when they ride their bikes, but I refuse to worry about everything I eat. I remember when people thought milk and eggs were bad. Scientists are constantly changing their minds about stuff like this, and I refuse to worry about it. I'll live my life and be happy and what happens happens.

Sorry, but that argument, the same one my MIL uses:rolleyes: is just, well, nonsense. You may have been fed from a glass bottle, as I was. I too was formula fed, as the time when you and I were born was an all time low for breast feeding. DS is formula fed now.....not my first choice, but alas, it is where we are at. I don't have a choice at this point. We were all just lucky not to be human torpedos if we had ever been in an accident while bouncing around in that back seat. I know in talking with my mom, she wishes she had the information we are fortunate to have today in regards to what choices she made for me back then.

The point is that research is now pointing a finger at something that millions of parents use daily maybe just could be hazardous to your infant. You have a choice to make a simple change with using a product with an ingredient you don't have to have....it's not like they are saying you must replace your carpet, the car you drive and never eat milk again. They are recommending you simply switch what your kid drinks out of. Please, do not think that those of us choosing to simply switch what containers we feed our children or what we drink from are unhappy, if you were eluding to that. I too, live my life and be happy and switched from Dr Browns to Playtex drop-ins and dumped my Nalgene for a Sigg. Seems kinda simple, huh?

:thumbsup2 I am with you!!! We also drank out of the waterhose outside !!!

Our lactation consultant told us that if we feed our baby expressed breast milk, do not do it out of a glass bottle. It changes the enzymes in the milk.

My mother also smoked while pregnant w/ me b/c it was "safe" (and yes, I turned out better than fine)....I have pregnancy books that she saved from the 70s that says drinking alcohol is ok as well.....but does that mean that smoking in many cases does NOT cause low birth weight babies, or that drinking in many cases does NOT cause fetal alcohol syndrome? (Not trying to start a smoking while pregnant debate, please....the warnings on the cig box say enough.)

Those of us reading this and making these decisions now all lived through whatever our parents did and they lived through whatever their parents did...advances in science make new information available all the time, even i it is ever changing. We do the best we can with the information we have. What if they are right about BPA? And if a few simple changes could have prevented what our grown up children may be forced to deal with? The majority of our children will come through just fine. But what if I don't make the changes and my child is one of the ones who is not fine? I'm not willing to take that chance.

How many children were killed in car accidents before they invented car seats? Just because you weren't doesn't mean it is safe without one. How many kids wound up in hospitals brain dead before they made helmets the law? I guess my question is, how many kids will it take with early puberty or breast or prostate cancer as adults before we admit that maybe there is a problem w/ BPA? (if in fact, there is one.)

When our children have children, I can't imagine the things they will have found out. When I babysit my grandchild, what is my daughter going to tell me not to do? Not to use? And I will probably say, "I did it with you and you turned out just fine." LOL

:thumbsup2 I am with you!!! We also drank out of the waterhose outside !!!

Well, my mother smoked cigarettes throughout all her pregnancies but I'm certain that she wouldn't do it today if she had known the possible effects it could have on her unborn child.
Basically, when we know better - we can do better. I personally used BPA baby bottles with my first born because there wasn't any buzz about possible side-effects. Now that I have more information available to me I definitely plan on going BPA-free with baby#2. I just don't see any reason not to switch to BPA-free - is it going to have any sort of drastic impact on my lifestyle? Nope, I'll be using bottles - just a different type.
To each his own - everyone makes the best decisions they see fit for their family. :)

Sorry, Born Free Bottles are not great. The nipples collapse, they are NOT good for babies with acid reflux or colic and they are insanely over priced. Just MY experience, however. Of course, I discovered that after spending $100 on them in an effort to ensure my son is not getting BPA from his Avent and Dr Browns bottles. Luckily, Dr. Browns is coming out with a BPA free bottle and they also have glass bottles on the market as well. Although I am not happy with producing the extra waste with Playtex drop ins, they are now my bottle of choice for DS, as they are BPA free and fabulous for acid reflux and colic.

Born Free bottles are also expensive compared to the alternatives. More and more companies are coming out with BPA free bottles, but our solution is an old-fashioned one. Evenflo brought glass bottles back to the market, and that's what we're buying for the new baby. They aren't significantly more expensive than regular (BPA-containing) plastic bottles, and we know they aren't going to start leaching chemicals into her milk.

A good guide to BPA-free products: http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-on-bpa-in-infant-care-products.html

There is also an easy shortcut - recycling numbers. Numbers 3, 6 and especially 7 are likely to contain BPA. Numbers 1, 2, 4 & 5 do not. BPA-free bottles are getting easier to find, but we've found that a lot of food storage containers are also made from plastics containing BPA. And in that case, switching actually saved us money - GladWare and other cheap reusables are #5 and BPA-free, while a lot of our much more expensive Tupperware and Rubbermade containers are made with BPA.

Like you and many others, this is not news to me. Absolutely - anything that can be done to eliminate toxins should be applauded. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 I am very glad that the OP started this thread. People need to be kept informed.

I "live green" and I frequent many sites (like mothering.com :hippie: ) and read a lot on this subject. I have also been studying signal transduction. Anything chemical or basically unnatural to the body can affect our physiology. Of course, this is not news to people who live "green."

I can't recall if Schmeck is a chemist or not, but the threat is real. How anyone can even question our reasons and act like we're in a mass hysteria is beyond me. :confused3 We are free to choose what is best for our families and our earth with what we know now. I don't understand what business is that of your's if you don't pay our bills or have to deal with any adverse consequences. :confused:

Peace out... :)

I don't believe that this is mass hysteria. I think people are looking to be informed. My dd was on the Avent bottles which had BPA in them. I was always a little skeptical about plastics, but, unfortunately didn't know about BPA's. I am troubled now with the latest news- not hysterical, but troubled. I know have enough information to conclude that I do not want to use BPA products with my son and will try to limit exposure to all plastics- choosing safer alternatives when possible. My pediatric dentist is has stopped doing sealants on teeth. This is not hysteria- it is being cautious and trying to do the best thing for our children. I agree that there are many other potential harmfuls out there- carpets, cookware etc... but the OP was posting about baby bottles and BPA.

The medical community has seen allergies, asthma and other autoimmune diseases rise unexplicably. Seems probable that it is our environment. It just seems smart to me to make changes where you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter